I am going to New York! I need some help.

Kendal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
Ok so a few years ago, Tiger's Stadium closed. I never got to go to a game there. I had a ticket on one of the last days it was open and got sick. With Yankee Stadium closing this year, I decided I was going to see a game there. I am not a huge Baseball fan, but I enjoy it. I have never been to New York and need some tips on where to stay and how to get around. I am driving there from Michigan. I will most likely be trekking it alone, unless my better half decides she wants to go.

I need help on finding a hotel closeish to the stadium. I guess I can take the subway like everyone else. I would need help with that too. I have never used public transportation, besides the mugger mover in Detroit. I live in the suburbs and we have pretty much no public transportation.

I am also wondering if any NY CAGs would like to go to the game with me? I have an extra ticket(if my girl decides she doesn't want to go, it seems like she isn't going...but you know women). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The game is September 15th, 2008. I picked this game because they are playing the White Sox and I hope the Yankees can help the Tigers in their division by smoking the WSox.

I used Priceline and found a great deal in Manhattan (up by Central Park, right next to the building from the opening scenes of Cloverfield (the one overlooking hte park)). It was about 1/3 of the sticker price of the hotel. I would stay there (in Manhattan) and take the Subway. Manhattan you can walk all around and see the touristy stuff. Yankee Stadium is kinda out in the middle of nowhere (as middle of nowhere as you can be in NYC).

Well Yankee Stadium is NOT in the middle of nowhere, its easily accessible from the 4 train that operates on the East side of Manhattan. You get on the train and you get out at the stop that says Yankee Stadium. Then just find the correct entrance. But it does take a bit of time and after a game there is a crush to get back into Manhattan.

So, when finding a hotel, if you want to stay on the East side, it will make getting to the game slightly easier, though there are tons of other subway lines to help connect you. You can try priceline, or see if travelzoo.com mentions any deals for hotels.

But I saw that you are driving, parking is gonna be a fun time, look to spend around (or at least even) $30 a night for parking depending on where you are staying.

As far as taking public transportation in the city, you can always use hopstop.com
It's like mapquest, only using buses/subways.
It's awesome.
I don't live far out of the city myself.
I was actually at the yankees game last night.

The only time I've been, we drove through Canada to get there. Stayed with a friend in Long Island - so other than the drive through Canada was extremely boring, I can't offer you much help Kendal. =P

getting the train to yankee stadium from manhattan is easy peasy - the maps are very clear

but you should stay in brooklyn - younger, cheaper, more fun.

Yankee Stadium is the only good thing in that borough, but other than that, they don't call it the "Bronx Zoo" for nothing.

Yankee games are a blast, have fun. Make sure you go early so you can see monument park and stuff, considering its your first time there. Id go to the game with you, but im a minor, and you might rape me, so no thanks..

How long are you going for? What are you looking at for a room? When I went to visit two years ago I found a small place that rented a small studio apartment. It was cheap and it has a small kitchen so we saved a little on food instead of going out. Right at the corner was a supermarket so it was easy to get things. It was off of 64th and west end I believe, upper west side. Parking around there looked like it could be tight.

I am planning on getting in town on the 14th and leaving the 16th. The game will be on the 15th. I have found some shitty place for $80 a night. I might do that. They advertise free parking, but I am doubting it will be available.

I am also wondering what places I should see while I am there. I want to hit the Nintendo store, maybe the Statue of Liberty. I would also like to know what places I should avoid.

Time Square is cool to see but don't hang too long unless you want to end up leaving broke because of all the stuff you can buy. I'd also recommend Brooklyn like above poster said.

New York City is a pretty accessible place. You will see a lot of great things no matter where you decide to stay. As for getting to Yankee Stadium, the subway is your best bet. It is safe and fast. You can take the #4 (if you're on the east side), or the B/D trains (if you are on the west side) to the Yankee Stadium stop. From there you can't get lost since you see the stadium the moment you get off the train. Since you are only staying a few days there is probably too much to see and do, but I recommend

Empire state building - you can get good shopping in the area as well. (Go on over to Korea town to get some great food.)

Rockefeller Center - Go visit Nintendo World, radio city is right around there too, as are the shops on 5th avenue.

(You can do Rockefeller and Empire State on the same day)

The Statue of Liberty is nice and the boat ride is pleasant as well. But this will take up a large chunk of time and the ferry leaves from downtown, so make this your day to explore Ground Zero, Chinatown/Little Italy.

I'll be back later with more info.

I had a trip all planned out a few years back but had to cancel at the last minute..... I had talked to a few NYC locals here on CAG and got great suggestions and advice but for the life of me I cant find the file.... I know I saved it because I still wanna go!

Statue of Liberty is a must as are most of the suggestions listed here. I wouldn't wanna drive though use the subway, get the route maps online and figure them out BEFORE you get there as they are quite confusing. Also if the Yankees dont play that day you can tour the stadium. Just list all the stuff you wanna do and break it down by region or have a local here help you set up a gameplan. You can prebuy SOL tour and ferry tix online and hit that up as soon as they start to avoid the lines. I had my tix and everything ready to go... My hotel was about $65-70 a night if I recall... I hope to go this time next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lordwow']The Nintendo store was probably the biggest letdown of my entire life.[/quote]

Not to be a troll or anything but I second this claim. I have been to the place, and after I left there I was meh. Before I went there I was like oh my god I am going to the fucking Nintendo world store, wow, all happy at shit because I am a big Nintendo fan. When I got there I was unimpressed. They only have like a little case with their history, and the rest is a ds station, some wii's and Nintendo merchandise which all boils down to some accessories, games and t-shirts.

It's still nice to say you been there but don't expect some magical place.

But you will want to visit FAO Schwartz, that place is awesome.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Not to be a troll or anything but I second this claim. I have been to the place, and after I left there I was meh. Before I went there I was like oh my god I am going to the fucking Nintendo world store, wow, all happy at shit because I am a big Nintendo fan. When I got there I was unimpressed. They only have like a little case with their history, and the rest is a ds station, some wii's and Nintendo merchandise which all boils down to some accessories, games and t-shirts.

It's still nice to say you been there but don't expect some magical place.

But you will want to visit FAO Schwartz, that place is awesome.[/QUOTE]

FAO used to be the shit when I still lived there in the 80's. Though there is a good Irish pub/grill around the corner called McAnn's. If you hit the Empire plan some extra time for the long lines, even if you buy the faster, more expensive tickets. If you go to the very top it's about $65 each I think. The tippy top is just a little higher than the main observation deck. Not that much different IMO of a view but you could say you were at the highest point in NY.

Don't eat at Times Square unless you want lines and expensive food. I took my girlfriend to TGIF's there and her Cobb salad was $18. You can also become a Scientologist right around there, someone will be handing out fliers.

There's a small restaurant in China town that has a 69 neon sign in the window that was good, but I don't remember the street.

We watched the sunset from Battery Park and afterwards I was chasing fireflys there that I missed doing since living in AZ. It was great reliving my childhood doing that.

Ya, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT eat at the TGIFridays in Time square. I felt sick to my stomach at how much I paid for a $8 meal.

[quote name='Nibi']New York City is a pretty accessible place. You will see a lot of great things no matter where you decide to stay. As for getting to Yankee Stadium, the subway is your best bet. It is safe and fast. You can take the #4 (if you're on the east side), or the B/D trains (if you are on the west side) to the Yankee Stadium stop. From there you can't get lost since you see the stadium the moment you get off the train. Since you are only staying a few days there is probably too much to see and do, but I recommend

Empire state building - you can get good shopping in the area as well. (Go on over to Korea town to get some great food.)

Rockefeller Center - Go visit Nintendo World, radio city is right around there too, as are the shops on 5th avenue.

(You can do Rockefeller and Empire State on the same day)

The Statue of Liberty is nice and the boat ride is pleasant as well. But this will take up a large chunk of time and the ferry leaves from downtown, so make this your day to explore Ground Zero, Chinatown/Little Italy.

I'll be back later with more info.[/QUOTE]
QFT. Also, I guess you can visit chinatown or something. If your going with someone that likes shopping, try macy's or Century 21. If you are near brooklyn, definetly get some Juniors Cheescake. That stuff is sooooo good. As a warning, when in NYC, you shoudn't eat fast food. ESPECIALLY Applebees.
I hope this will help you more than my words:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_buildings,_sites,_and_monuments_in_New_York_City

Sithfran. Which chinatown is this? Manhattan? I go there all the time, Maybe i'll remember.

The first time I went to NYC, I was walking down the street near Times Square when this African-American fellow approached me and asked if I would buy one of his CDs. I politely declined, and then he offered to autograph it for me. And did so. When I politely declined once more, he called me a racist and said, "Oh, so you hate black people music, then?"

I wet myself.

There are 3 Things you should know:

1) The Tigers have no chance to catch the W. Sox. But Hope they win so the Yankees suffer more.

2) Stay away from Newark, NJ. Just don't go.

3) Go to the Guggenheim Museum and MoMa if you can.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']The first time I went to NYC, I was walking down the street near Times Square when this African-American fellow approached me and asked if I would buy one of his CDs. I politely declined, and then he offered to autograph it for me. And did so. When I politely declined once more, he called me a racist and said, "Oh, so you hate black people music, then?"

I wet myself.[/quote]

Dude, I think I ran into the same frickin' guy in Chinatown once!
"Free CD, but only with a 10 Dollar Donation so I can work on my new record..."
And I was like, "Sorry man, I don't really dig rap music..."
And he was like, "Yeah, because it's made by black people, isn't it?!"

I was just, taken aback...

Ok, so driving would cost roughly $280 in gas. Flying is saving me $40 and I don't have to pay for parking. Now, which airport is better to fly into?

[quote name='Kendal']Ok, so driving would cost roughly $280 in gas. Flying is saving me $40 and I don't have to pay for parking. Now, which airport is better to fly into?[/QUOTE]

JFK in my experience. But both JFK and Laguardia are easy to commute from. As is Newark, if that is cheaper.

[quote name='linkpwns']Dude, I think I ran into the same frickin' guy in Chinatown once!
"Free CD, but only with a 10 Dollar Donation so I can work on my new record..."
And I was like, "Sorry man, I don't really dig rap music..."
And he was like, "Yeah, because it's made by black people, isn't it?!"

I was just, taken aback...[/QUOTE]

You just have to ignore those people. Just walk right by, no matter what they say or how long they try to walk with you for. These guys are hustlers, they start off as little ones selling m&ms and candy bars and grow-up and graduate to sell shitty rap albums.

doesnt matter which airport, go to wherever is cheaper. JFK is international, while laguardia is domestic (usually has the better deals).

[quote name='WeaponX2099']There are 3 Things you should know:

1) The Tigers have no chance to catch the W. Sox. But Hope they win so the Yankees suffer more.

2) Stay away from Newark, NJ. Just don't go.

3) Go to the Guggenheim Museum and MoMa if you can.[/quote]

1) Tigers are only 6 games back in the beginning of July, there is still 897 games left in the season. ;)

2) I am not going to NJ, unless I want to see a Donkey Show.

3) Thanks. This is what I wanted.

I am flying out on the 14th and coming home the 17th. I will have some time on Sunday to explore and meet up with some CAGs before the CHUDs come out at sun down. 15th will be the game, but I will have some time to explore some more of NY. 16th will be for sight seeing. I leave on the 17th around noon. So excited. I still have the extra ticket to the game if anyone wants to go. You just have to show up to the stadium, or somewhere in the city that is easy for both of us.

So far the places I want to go to are:

Empire State Building
Rockefeller Center
Some museums
Nintendo World Store(I am gay for Nintendo, just want to go)
$18 salad at TGIFridays. ;)
Statue of Liberty

Now that I am flying, I can spend money on seeing stuff and subway fare instead of parking my truck and maybe have it there when I want to leave. So I am open to suggestions and ideas for my free time. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some CAGs for lunch or dinner. I will have my phone on me so before I leave, those interested we can swap info and have a cheap ass good time!

[quote name='Kendal']1) Tigers are only 6 games back in the beginning of July, there is still 897 games left in the season. ;)

2) I am not going to NJ, unless I want to see a Donkey Show.

3) Thanks. This is what I wanted.

I am flying out on the 14th and coming home the 17th. I will have some time on Sunday to explore and meet up with some CAGs before the CHUDs come out at sun down. 15th will be the game, but I will have some time to explore some more of NY. 16th will be for sight seeing. I leave on the 17th around noon. So excited. I still have the extra ticket to the game if anyone wants to go. You just have to show up to the stadium, or somewhere in the city that is easy for both of us.

So far the places I want to go to are:

Empire State Building
Rockefeller Center
Some museums
Nintendo World Store(I am gay for Nintendo, just want to go)
$18 salad at TGIFridays. ;)
Statue of Liberty

Now that I am flying, I can spend money on seeing stuff and subway fare instead of parking my truck and maybe have it there when I want to leave. So I am open to suggestions and ideas for my free time. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some CAGs for lunch or dinner. I will have my phone on me so before I leave, those interested we can swap info and have a cheap ass good time![/quote]

I forgot about times square. A lot of stuff there is great. Try to get on the Today show or TRL, If you like MTV.

The Tigers have a shot at the Wild card, but their pitching is only 3 deep at best. But the Sox hopefully can hold them off.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']The Tigers have a shot at the Wild card, but their pitching is only 3 deep at best. But the Sox hopefully can hold them off.[/quote]

Sad but true. :( Hopefully they will pick up a pitcher or 4 in the off-season. As a long time Detroiter(well outside of Detroit) It is nice to see the Tigers actually play well for the second time in my life time.

It has been 17 years since I last flown in an airplane. I just wish it wasn't 2 months away!

You know, Shea Stadium (The NY Mets Stadium for those who don't know) is closing this season too! But, the Mets and Yankees tend to swap between Home and Away with each other. So, I doubt they'll be playing at Home then.

Also, like everyone said, avoid driving if you can, subways take you everywhere. And if you see a gap in the subway map, buses more than make up for it. There's a reason why 50% of NYC uses mass transit almost everyday (Myself included).

So my Yankee tickets just arrived. I looked for a Mets game, but they weren't playing when I am in town. :( I am ready to go. Well, I am not packed. But I am wishing it was September.

There is only one weekend this season when the Mets and Yankees are playing at home and it's in September but I can't remember which weekend without looking it up. I'm going to the July 19th game against the A's but I go to the Stadium all the time so it's no big deal to me. This will, however, probably be the last time I'm ever there.

If I were visiting NY from out of town I'd definitely stay in Manhattan and just take the subway to the game when it was time. It's so easy. There's so much to see in Manhattan that you'd probably want home base to be somewhat close in case you go shopping or something and want to drop stuff off or maybe change clothes or take a shit or whatever. Have fun!!

You should probably stay at the Marriott Marquis, where you can easily walk to all of the fun stuff (Times Square/the better part of Fifth Avenue/etc.).

Just don't come downtown. There's nothing interesting here.

Yankee Stadium is overrated, not worth the trip...just take a BIG left and head for Boston, see a game at Fenway.

But if you do stay for a game, I'd stay in Manhattan, maybe in the Upper East side, where I go to high school. The city's awesome, spend some time exploring.

But most importantly of all...you have to hit up Newark, where you should also fly into. If you like food, then head to the Ironbound section...it's all Portugese there. Some of the best restaurants I've ever been to, and with the Prudential Center, it's really gotten beautiful down there. Go to either Iberia, which is probably the most famous and biggest place, and also one of the best, or Beira Mar, which is a tiny place, but has some of the best food I've ever had. The people there are really friendly, too.

Another New York City story: the second time I was there, we passed this guy who was standing on the sidewalk with a little table and a jar, which was about half-full of pennies. He seemed to be taking penny donations for something, possibly himself.

We came back down the same street probably an hour later, and he was still there. Then, all of a sudden, he picked up the jar, (and this "jar" was like a big thing, like, the size of the water-container part of a water cooler), started shaking it violently, and then spilled the pennies all over the sidewalk.

it was weird.

bread's done
Back