I am Legend

[quote name='doctorfaustus']
That's pretty much the ending as it happens in the novel.
[/quote]I wish they had gone with the novel then, I've always liked the "realization" type endings. Where someone realizes they were wrong after all. Once again the novel is better than the movie it's based on.

Hollywood would rather the hero go out with a bang, either in some heroic sacrifice or huge explosion.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']
That's pretty much the ending as it happens in the novel.
[/QUOTE]

dude thats not the ending in the book at all

in the book he finds out that there is a new group of intellectual human vampires and they are starting a new society. He realizes after being captured shortly before his death that the vamps are the norm and he is the other. He realizes he has been turned into their boogey man their vampire. He realizes that he will be their legend because of it as the thing that goes bump in the light. Hence the title "I am Legend".

i have no idea what you read

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']dude thats not the ending in the book at all

in the book he finds out that there is a new group of intellectual human vampires and they are starting a new society. He realizes after being captured shortly before his death that the vamps are the norm and he is the other. He realizes he has been turned into their boogey man their vampire. He realizes that he will be their legend because of it as the thing that goes bump in the light. Hence the title "I am Legend".

i have no idea what you read[/QUOTE]

I actually bought the book (with will smith on the cover and thought it was the novelization of the film script), but after skimming a few pages, I realized it was just the original collection of short stories and the publisher put that cover on there to get people like me to buy it. So luckily I was able to return it within 2 hours.

Sadly there is no real novelization of the film script :( Oh well.

Yeah, I meant to respond to Jolietjake's post, but I guess I hit the wrong button.

BTW the poster/image for "Batman vs. Superman" is actually the logo for the current "World's Finest" Batman and Superman team up book.

well that ending would have kicked some serious ass. The way it ended i dont really know how I felt.. the movie could of had a nice impact.

i have no idea what you read[/quote]
Thats more or less what i meant, he realized that he was essentially the evil one in their eyes. They looked at him as the monster instead of the other way around.

the movie was meh.. the alternative ending should have been the correct ending. The idea was that Will Smith's character was in fact a legend, but not in the way you would think. He had become a legendary villian to that of former humans. The zombies have developed their own society. At the end of this movie with the alternative ending you start to see what they were aiming for. The problem is they didn't set it up enough to show that that was the original intent so they realized this and shot the additional ending that was aired originally. Take into account the trap they set for him, and how the character was upset by the loss of the women zombie. Both ending fail in the context of the movie. I am a fan of the alternative ending, but I can see why people don't like it.

[quote name='almasy82']the movie was meh.. the alternative ending should have been the correct ending. The idea was that Will Smith's character was in fact a legend, but not in the way you would think. He had become a legendary villian to that of former humans. The zombies have developed their own society. At the end of this movie with the alternative ending you start to see what they were aiming for. The problem is they didn't set it up enough to show that that was the original intent so they realized this and shot the additional ending that was aired originally. Take into account the trap they set for him, and how the character was upset by the loss of the women zombie. Both ending fail in the context of the movie. I am a fan of the alternative ending, but I can see why people don't like it.[/quote]

Zombies don't do what they did in this movie.....and don't even mention Resident Evil :bomb:. Just don't go there.

Anyways I agree that they didn't set up the movie for that ending. To be honest I thought that the trap Neville was in was one of traps he set to capture one of the infected. As I recalled he saw one of his dummy citizens while driving by in the wrong place then comes around and sees that dummy across the way and starts yelling at it. Based on that I thought he was really starting to loose his mind but if the infected where the ones who set that trap, then it would be understandable. I thought he just forgot about that one trap and trapped himself.

The theatrical ending lead us to believe that he sacrificed himself so Ana and the kid can escape with the cure and of course he needed to take out the Alpha male in the process... the alternate ending
kills his chance of making him go out with a bang and him leaving the city with ana and her broadcasting that she's got Neville in the car just makes you say "uhhh ok..................."

If hollywood wanted to make a sequel to this movie, then use THAT ending...but to have Neville die in the theatrical ending reduces the chance of the writers to produce a really good sequel if Neville is dead since he's the only one who knows how to cure them.

[quote name='almasy82']the movie was meh.. the alternative ending should have been the correct ending. The idea was that Will Smith's character was in fact a legend, but not in the way you would think. He had become a legendary villian to that of former humans. The zombies have developed their own society. At the end of this movie with the alternative ending you start to see what they were aiming for. The problem is they didn't set it up enough to show that that was the original intent so they realized this and shot the additional ending that was aired originally. Take into account the trap they set for him, and how the character was upset by the loss of the women zombie. Both ending fail in the context of the movie. I am a fan of the alternative ending, but I can see why people don't like it.[/QUOTE]

Thats how it is in the book. The vampires fear Neville because he had killed so many of their kind. I actually liked the alternate ending better. The ending was still a fairly happy one, but still left the door open for questions (like will they actually find more people) and leaves the door open for a sequel.

bread's done
Back