I can't figure out what to major in for college =(

Dr. Pizza

Banned
Originally it was computers. but my teacher put me to sleep and made it hard and confusing for me
Then it was Radio Broadcaster, but then college decided to kick me out for year *and im not getting into it*
Then it was going to be a Language Major *Wanted to speak other languages and make money being a translator/interp person*

Now im at a crossroad

Im 25 years old and dont know WTF to do. i cant go to "that" college anymore cause i got expelled. The other college i want to go to does not offer anything Language wise :( But im gonna transfer from there anyways.. i just dont know what the hell i can get an Associates degree with at least while transfering..

I want a job where im around people, i dont want to be lonely. Maybe help people? i dont know male nursing.. cause i hate needles... and i dont really want to clean up after old people you know? I know i can make people angry and have a voice that people listen to.. a Lawyer.. they make tons of money... Or an english teacher so i could live in Japan and teach them English *THAT WOULD BE AWESOME XD*

I dont know guys.. there's other things to.. the one thing i truly wanted to do was be a Traffic Engineer, because i am FASCINATED by how traffic lights work.. have been since i was an infant and still am. They dont make much money though and dont get hired much :\ plus i want to get out of Michigan.. that doesn't sound like a job id get out of Michigan for..

Then again i wouldn't mind being a Fitness Instuctor/Teacher either, im so sick of people being overweight around here *no offense to anyone because i am a bit heavy too* and i just...

I dont know.. i want to make the world a better place. I know one site on the internet who keeps saying im an "An Hero" waiting to happen. And i remember my most recent ex gf's words to this day were "When you say you change, you only change for the worst."

I think its time to make that **** eat her words and prove her wrong. I can't live with my Dad forever, he's depressed or bored all the time.. quite frankly so am i.. i cant help him anymore.. but hell its time to do something with my life.

What do you think id be good at? people who know my videos... id gladly like your input.

If I were 18 and out of HS I wouldn't know what the fuck I'd go into. Probably tech school - you make more money out of school and get lifetime placement, but there's less chance in the long run for upward mobility.

I went to college for Telecom but didn't really learn anything and wasn't interested in it.

So I went back for 2 years for a Biomedical Technologist certificate.

So I don't know what to tell you.

I know what you mean by not wanting to live with your Dad.

I'm 34 and live with my parents. If I were full time last year and this year I'd probably have bought a house by now.

Major in business - Finance or Accounting if you can handle it or Marketing if you want to skate by. If I could do it all over again I'd definitely NOT major in something specific because at 20 you really have no idea what the hell you want to do with your life (or at 35 FYI) - leave it open. Also don't major in something worthless like sociology or philosophy or psychology or history unless you want to be a teacher. Government or Political Science is OK but you better follow that up with law school or something if you want to get a job. I don't know - getting a business degree and then following it up with an MBA (which is a joke to get) will earn you a pretty good living in a wide variety of areas since you can basically help out any company.

I was like you OP. I started college out of high school...skated by on laziness for about 5 years until I ran out of money, dropped out of college without a degree and then had to accept the "real world". Working in retail and 120 degree factories for 10 years really opens your eyes and gets you motivated. Five years ago I went back to school and became a Respiratory Therapist. Its funny how real life can focus you. I had a 3.9 GPA and was on the Deans list every quarter this time around. Its a job where I help people, make decent money and feel more secure in employment than I would with most jobs. Good luck finding your path.

[quote name='crystalklear64']brotip: you don't need a specific degree to teach english in japan[/QUOTE]

This, but you will have to learn Japanese as well. But since you seem passionate about languages that shouldn't be a problem for you.

I was one of the lucky ones and knew what I wanted to do with my life before even entering college.

Go to community college. Hammer out your GE's for pennies on the dollar and figure it out there by taking a few technical classes in different fields. It's what I did and it worked out.

Take time to figure it out. I started in Computer Science. Hated it and switched to Journalism. Got my degree in that, but senior year I decided not to do that after working at a newspaper for a while.

So I ended up going to grad school for Criminology as I'd gotten interested in that from taking some classes for my minor. Got my Master's and got hooked on research and teaching, so stuck around and got my Ph D, and I ended up as a professor in a Criminal Justice department and I'm loving it despite working crazy hours.

Point being if you're just starting out you don't need to rush. Your first year or two will mostly be core classes and electives anyway, so you can switch majors without major delays your first year or two while you try to figure out what you want to do.

And if you don't figure it out there's always grad school! And most fields (outside of things like Medicine, Law, MBA programs etc.) will pay your tuition and give you a stipend to go to school as long as you have a good record. Then you can just study and do research and teaching if that's your thing. I really loved grad school.

Wow guy you really need to sit down and plan this stuff. You can't just think "hmm, I want to be a lawyer" and then magically you're a lawyer! Judging from what you've read you should probably go back to computers since you said you switched because you didn't like the teacher. Well unless you go to a really small freaking school there should be other teachers to take classes from. Other than that I would actually stop going to school if you've gotten all your prereqs and electives out of the way otherwise you're just burning money.

[quote name='Magehart']Go to community college. Hammer out your GE's for pennies on the dollar and figure it out there by taking a few technical classes in different fields. It's what I did and it worked out.[/QUOTE]

This.

Not to mention being expelled from another college/university is going to be a stain that any other 4 year school will hold over your head. Go get your associates degree, preferably with a 3.0+ and they will probably forgive you for whatever you did.

[quote name='DV8']Wow guy you really need to sit down and plan this stuff. You can't just think "hmm, I want to be a lawyer" and then magically you're a lawyer! Judging from what you've read you should probably go back to computers since you said you switched because you didn't like the teacher. Well unless you go to a really small freaking school there should be other teachers to take classes from. Other than that I would actually stop going to school if you've gotten all your prereqs and electives out of the way otherwise you're just burning money.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree.

Instead of using one small thing to justify a career (Oooh, I wonder how a calculator works? I should be an Electrical Engineer) you should look at potential careers that you are interested in, and then call them up and ask how it is like to work as one. Then if you like it, you can work backwards from the job requirements.

If you want a job when you get out of college: Teaching or Medical
Want to have a job when you get out of college and make money: Medical

[quote name='Eviltude']This.

Not to mention being expelled from another college/university is going to be a stain that any other 4 year school will hold over your head. Go get your associates degree, preferably with a 3.0+ and they will probably forgive you for whatever you did.[/QUOTE]

He had better hope that no colleges or prospective employers find his youtube videos. Or this page: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Drp1zza

Quit college.
Suffer.
Have an epiphany.
Go back to college.
Get a degree you like.
Suffer.
Have another epiphany.
Work towards that epiphany.
Probably suffer some more.
Die.

[quote name='javeryh']Major in business - Finance or Accounting if you can handle it or Marketing if you want to skate by. If I could do it all over again I'd definitely NOT major in something specific because at 20 you really have no idea what the hell you want to do with your life (or at 35 FYI) - leave it open. Also don't major in something worthless like sociology or philosophy or psychology or history unless you want to be a teacher. Government or Political Science is OK but you better follow that up with law school or something if you want to get a job. I don't know - getting a business degree and then following it up with an MBA (which is a joke to get) will earn you a pretty good living in a wide variety of areas since you can basically help out any company.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this if you're a work to live type. If you do well in accounting and get your CPA license it is easy as fuck to find a job even in this economy. I quit my job at a Big 4 firm after a mere three months, and a month later I had a job at a smaller firm with better pay and less hours. This was made possible by my high GPA in accounting and having passed the CPA exam.

One thing I've learned from friends and family:

Don't wait too long to go back to school.

If it's been 5 years or more, your credits won't count and you have to take everything over again.

I got my 2 year in accounting, but failed my first test in a 3rd year accounting class, so I dropped out of accounting. I should have stuck with it. :drool:

Tech school is a good idea, a lot of jobs look at degrees as "a college degree is a college degree", meaning it doesn't matter if you major in General Studies or Biology.

I work in I.T. and I have 2 BAs in English and History, someday I'd like to write for a living but who knows...

I switched majors several times, don't rush it and don't stay too long

If you are in pretty good shape become a police officer, many departments will take half a college degree in lieu of military service.

If you are set on doing something involving language, learn spanish or arabic.

[advice removed due to OP being an ass.]

the guy bought a game over an animal's life? f-ing turd!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is that the cat he let die when he chose to spend his money on Mass Effect rather than a vet?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is

[quote name='SeanAmI']Become a vet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z233YThqGng
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Drp1zza[/QUOTE]

is that the same guy who got beat up by a bunch of kids and made a video about it after it happened? damn shame there man picking a ce of a game over your cats life especially since ce of games drop in price so fast nowdays. i wonder if the cat knew what was going on that his life wasnt as important as a videogame......

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So is the OP the same douche as the one you posted or do they just have very similar names?[/QUOTE]

It's the same guy.

[quote name='Magehart']Go to community college. Hammer out your GE's for pennies on the dollar and figure it out there by taking a few technical classes in different fields. It's what I did and it worked out.[/QUOTE]
This, this, this, a thousand times this.

There is absolutely NO point in spending full price at a state school to take GE classes. You can easily knock out all of the GE requirements (100-200 level classes) for $60 a class (in CA, at least). I did all of my GE's at a CC, took a television studio class, and fell in love. Transferred to a state school for all of the upper division stuff, and now I'm taking all of the remaining RTVF classes.

Depending on your school and what you're into, you may even be able to take major coursework classes at a CC cheap too and transfer them to a state school as well.

[quote name='2DMention']One thing I've learned from friends and family:

Don't wait too long to go back to school.

If it's been 5 years or more, your credits won't count and you have to take everything over again.

I got my 2 year in accounting, but failed my first test in a 3rd year accounting class, so I dropped out of accounting. I should have stuck with it. :drool:[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I was under the impression it was 10 years.

I love Dr. Pizza. I've been following his work for a while now.

[quote name='life.exe']Are you sure? I was under the impression it was 10 years.[/QUOTE]

It varies by school (or state for state university systems).

[quote name='seanr1221']You're in for a rude awakening if you think you can just become a nurse or lawyer.

Maybe you could manage a retail store?[/QUOTE]

That's generous

I regret my college choices. I spent 4 or 5 years just goofing off through college, going when I wanted and never commiting myself to studying. Went to work at retail for a couple years. Got fired. Which was a posiitve experience as it led me to go back to school and be dedicated about it.
Got a 2 year degree in Medical Technology, went to work instead of sticking to get the 4 year degree (big mistake) Now work in a field where the average age is 45 and my degree is only good for this one job. I'm here for life.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']I agree. Can we vote for a ban on this human waste?[/QUOTE]

I could've sworn this guy was banned before. Under a different usename perhaps?

[quote name='Mospeada_21']I agree. Can we vote for a ban on this human waste?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. I need a few people here making me look better.

I have 10 years experience in the Air Force, a bachelor degree and 2 associate degrees and I still can't find a decent paying job.

You should either:

1. Become a petroleum engineer

2. Go get some sort of medical specific training/associate degree (nurse, dental hygenist, etc). Those can be had at community colleges with super cheap tuition and the starting pay is damn good.

I don't know how many serious comments are in here, but, I'd like to drop one...

You say you're 25. My advice: Go to community college. Grab yourself a 3.0 with those easy ass classes hammered out the way.

You'll be 27 more than likely when you head to college. At mine, everyone in my career field (MIS) is 25+, so it doesn't matter honestly. In fact, if you're at a crossroads...try MIS

You can program if you feel like it, or you can just do documentation and analysis, or computer security, or just be like "fuck THIS" and do sales. 4-in-1 degree path for ya!

It took me awhile to realize how to use my degree, but, I'm about to graduate and I know that I wanna do documentation and analysis. Wouldn't be possible really without a MIS degree.

Try that out

Don't worry about picking a major. I switched a couple of times and finally settled on Marketing even though I didn't think that's what I wanted but it was in the right college. I graduated and still don't have a job.

[quote name='FrankySox']I graduated and still don't have a job.[/QUOTE]

I remember when I graduated from college with my B.S. in Computer Science. I delivered pizzas later that night and did so consistently for another six months.

[quote name='FrankySox']Don't worry about picking a major. I switched a couple of times and finally settled on Marketing even though I didn't think that's what I wanted but it was in the right college. I graduated and still don't have a job.[/QUOTE]

Out of all the business majors you had to pick Marketing. If you picked any other (besides general BA) you'd probably have a job right now. Of course I am partial to Accounting because you can do so much with it but Operations and Logistics are also pretty hot.

bread's done
Back