I Died A Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
This morning, I wake up and get dressed. I walk downstairs to do my laundry, and my dog scares the shit out of me. No big deal. I start taking my clothes out of the washer. As I finish, I start the dryer, and look into the washer for anything else, as I'm about to start another load. When suddenly, I see it. My poor, Zune 2, lying at the bottom of the washer, lifeless. I rush it upstairs to plug it in, hoping for life. There wasn't any. :cry: So, I take it apart, and wait, as it dries out. I know some people who have revived electronics from the water, so I'm hoping that this thing will dry out. Otherwise, I'm out $80. (Got a discount. :lol:)

Anyway, what I really need, are some tips as to what to do. Any chance I could get MS to fix it? How much? I don't think water damage is ever covered by a warranty. Or should I let it dry under a fan for a few days first?

I don't think you'll be able to use a warranty on it. MS might let you send the broken one in and get a refurb or something though. A lot small electronics have a little water spot sticker somewhere in it. I know they're for sure in all cell phones, its like a small dot that changes color. Its usually a little circle sticker with ink on it, if its all white the cell phone places know its water damage. If you take the battery off your cell phone, it may have one in plain sight. Sometimes its actually inside the unit.

The sad thing is I know this from knowing a lot of people who ruin their phones at the beach. :lol:

if the batter had a charge when it went in the wash you're probably sol. Take it apart, dry it off, if you see any gunk built up on it clean it off with rubbing alcohol (dont touch the lcd with the stuff). pray

That really stinks. My little bro once killed my Cell Phone. He had the phone in his pocket and for whatever reason, really quickly threw it into the washing machine and so the phone got wrecked. I was(and still am) pretty mad at him for that. I lost a ton of stuff on that phone.

[quote name='darthbudge'] I lost a ton of stuff on that phone.[/QUOTE]
Thats why you always copy your dirty cell phone pics to your computer asap!

My cellphone died in my back pocket in the beach. Somehow I though my pants were waterproof or something. I guess salt water and electronics don't mix.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Thats why you always copy your dirty cell phone pics to your computer asap![/QUOTE]

Then what happens if you leave your computer in the rain or wash it? Copy everything to external hdd!!!

[quote name='the3rdkey']Then what happens if you leave your computer in the rain or wash it? Copy everything to external hdd!!![/QUOTE]

that'll only go so far, what if you're eating breakfast and your external HDD flops into your cereal. well, then nothing will really happen.
until you try and wash it off and leave it sitting next to the refrigerator, where one of your renegade fridge magnets betrays you and wipes your information...
Use your own website to back everything up.

I thought you were gonna say you found a dog turd in the washer. :lol:

You might have been able to save your Zune if you didn't try to turn it on. I know with cellphones at least, if you drop them in water, you immediately take out the battery and wait for it to dry before trying to turn it on. I've saved at least two phones this way, so it's not a fluke.

Yeah, I don't know why your first impulse was to turn it on. If it had somehow survived the wash, that would have killed it anyway.

Any chance you had of Microsoft repairing it under any sort of warranty was nixed when you took it apart.

Unless there's some way to take apart Zunes without voiding warranty.. I dunno, I haven't had a Zune.

you plugged it in immediately after you found it in the washer? You're lucky you didn't die completely. :lol:

It's not the answer that you want to hear but, you're fucked. It's gone. You know it's gone. We all know it's gone. Get a paper route and buy a new one.

If I made this thread...I would of named it "I accidentally washed my Zune" as opposed to "I just died a little"

Thats just me though....

I've washed 3 ipods and 1 phone now, everything I've tried to save them never worked and I just had to get them replaced.

I will wish you luck with your Zune.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't think you'll be able to use a warranty on it. MS might let you send the broken one in and get a refurb or something though. A lot small electronics have a little water spot sticker somewhere in it. I know they're for sure in all cell phones, its like a small dot that changes color. Its usually a little circle sticker with ink on it, if its all white the cell phone places know its water damage. If you take the battery off your cell phone, it may have one in plain sight. Sometimes its actually inside the unit.

The sad thing is I know this from knowing a lot of people who ruin their phones at the beach. :lol:[/quote]mine is underneath the battery.

Why is it so bad to plug it in after it gets wet? It was fully charged when it went it, so what difference would it make? Also, I just popped the aluminum case off of the back, and I didn't see any warranty sticker.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Why is it so bad to plug it in after it gets wet? It was fully charged when it went it, so what difference would it make? Also, I just popped the aluminum case off of the back, and I didn't see any warranty sticker.[/quote]
:whistle2:s

[quote name='Access_Denied']Why is it so bad to plug it in after it gets wet? It was fully charged when it went it, so what difference would it make? Also, I just popped the aluminum case off of the back, and I didn't see any warranty sticker.[/quote]

Because, Water conducts electricity, so normally the electricity stays where it should, however if there is water inside of it, the electricity flows through the water and can and will most likely fry stuff.

[quote name='Loonknight']I've washed 3 ipods and 1 phone now, everything I've tried to save them never worked and I just had to get them replaced.
[/QUOTE]

Good god, I think I'd just stop doing laundry at some point after that.

[quote name='Loonknight']I've washed 3 ipods and 1 phone now, everything I've tried to save them never worked and I just had to get them replaced.

I will wish you luck with your Zune.[/quote]God damn, how forgetful can you possibly be to drown 3 ipods?

I will wish you luck with your Zune.[/quote]

Yeah, this is my first time. :whistle2:s

Anyway, I don't plan on recovering it. Oh well. I'll get a new one.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Why is it so bad to plug it in after it gets wet? It was fully charged when it went it, so what difference would it make? Also, I just popped the aluminum case off of the back, and I didn't see any warranty sticker.[/QUOTE]

This is why companies have to put millions of "Danger" notices on all of their products...

Lets just say you'd do pretty well in the Darwin awards :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back