I finally, FINALLY got a Saturn!

Rig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
Finally! After searching for a Saturn (cheap) for so long, I finally got myself a deal today! A local game store (called Game Freak) opened recently. He doesn't have much, but his prices are pretty fair, for the most part. His trade in values are incredibly excellent, as some of you already know. ;) Anyway, I walked in and saw the Saturn. It came with:

Sega Saturn console with cables
Sega Saturn standard controller
Sega Saturn brand steering wheel
Sega "Backup CD" cartridge (memory card)

Games (all complete and great condition!)

Rayman
Bust a Move 2 Arcade Edition
The Lost World Jurassic Park
Daytona USA
Highway 2000
NHL 97 (still sealed!)

That entire bundle was...

$22.00! I nearly crapped my pants! Everything works perfectly! I am a very happy man today! :D Now, recommend me some games!

Congrats, that is a great deal. Some of my favorite Saturn games are:
Sonic R,
Manx TT Superbike (only if you can get it really cheap since it only has 1 track with 2 branching paths but it is still a fun game),
Decathelete and Winter Heat (if you like those olympic type games, they are the 2 best IMO)
NiGHTS (the 3D Controller makes the game a lot better)

I will congratulate you on your great find at that price. But ...

The Saturn mostly sucks, good luck finding games that will keep your attention for a long while that are not imports :p

If I were to buy 3 games they would be Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, and Shining Force III. I like playing the gun games from time to time too.

Do you know Japanese? If you don't then I guess you are out of luck for the most part for building a big library of worthwhile games ... :p

Also don't overspend on the 3 games I mentioned you can get them on the cheap from time to time in excellent condition :)

Great job Rig!The fact you got the backup cart makes it even better.

I recommend...

Guardian Heroes (You will probably pay a lot for this as it is one of the most sought after Saturn games)

Fighters Megamix (Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Cop characters and more)

Galactic Attack (You should able to get this one at a reasonable price, great shooter)

Those are three of my favorites but I only own 11 Saturn games....

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Great job Rig!The fact you got the backup cart makes it even better.

I recommend...

Guardian Heroes (You will probably pay a lot for this as it is one of the most sought after Saturn games)

Fighters Megamix (Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Cop characters and more)

Galactic Attack (You should able to get this one at a reasonable price, great shooter)

Those are three of my favorites but I only own 11 Saturn games....[/QUOTE]

:lol: Actually, I also have a few other games as well. I picked up a few at a garage sale a few years ago, knowing I would get a Saturn eventually! I also have:

Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop
D
Die Hard Trilogy
WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game

Keep the game recommendations coming guys!

If you're into importing, X-Men vs Street Fighter has brought me some good times. If it's not arcade-perfect, it could have fooled me. You'll need a Pro-Action Replay to play import games.

NiGHTS.

It's worth owning a Saturn just for that game.

Others I would get would be Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Baku Baku if you can find it, Guardian Heroes if you can afford it!

I don't know if I should be happy for you or pity you. I had a Saturn for two years and it never caused me anything but trouble. The engine went out several times, and the tranny was very problematic. Also I had 2 10 inch subwoofers and it pretty much rattled that piece of shit apart. Take care of your car and it might last. Good luck buddy.

[quote name='FrankySox']I don't know if I should be happy for you or pity you. I had a Saturn for two years and it never caused me anything but trouble. The engine went out several times, and the tranny was very problematic. Also I had 2 10 inch subwoofers and it pretty much rattled that piece of shit apart. Take care of your car and it might last. Good luck buddy.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I saw a Saturn at a garage sale today for $10 but I passed it up. It didn't come with any games, and I couldn't see myself ebaying anything decent. Was I crazy not to get it?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I saw a Saturn at a garage sale today for $10 but I passed it up. It didn't come with any games, and I couldn't see myself ebaying anything decent. Was I crazy not to get it?[/QUOTE]

I would've picked it up, but, I've been wanting one for quite a while. Time to get me those import Lunar and Lunar 2 Saturn games! :drool:

[quote name='c']If you're into importing, X-Men vs Street Fighter has brought me some good times. If it's not arcade-perfect, it could have fooled me. You'll need a Pro-Action Replay to play import games.[/QUOTE]

the guy I am quoting is pointing you to one of the best fighting games on the system, and my personal favorite from the Cross-over Marvel vs. Capcom games.

other good games include Die Hard Arcade, Samurai Showdown IV, Virtua Fighter II, and Real Bout FF.

and def. get an Action Replay. it is a really great device for all it does

I still have my saturn. Rig, did you get a v1 or v2? The way you can tell is the v1 has led access lights and oval buttons, the v2 has 1 green power light and round buttons.

[quote name='Chrono81']I still have my saturn. Rig, did you get a v1 or v2? The way you can tell is the v1 has led access lights and oval buttons, the v2 has 1 green power light and round buttons.[/QUOTE]

Um....I'm not really sure now. I was actually hoping somebody could tell me about the different versions. I am back at my dorm now, so I cannot look, but IIRC, it was v2, but don't quote me on that...

What kinds of differences happened between the two versions?

Also, if anybody has Saturn games they want to unload, PM me or post! :D

[quote name='Chrono81']This is a version 1 saturn (The U.S. one is jet black)
http://www.vidgame.net/SEGA/Sega/Saturn/saturn_1style.jpg

This is a version 2 saturn (U.S. one also all black)
http://www.vidgame.net/SEGA/Sega/Saturn/saturn_sys.jpg

So you can easily tell which version you have by looking at the button layout and front of the console, if it has oval shaped buttons and an LED light panel, it's a V1.

If it has round buttons and one green power light, its a V2.

I have a V1.[/QUOTE]

:lol: The links you provided say they are out of bandwidth, so I cannot see the pics! :D Here's what mine looks like:

http://www.silicium.org/images/catalog/consoles/sega/saturn.jpg

Guess mine is version 1 as well then eh?

yep rig, v1, just like mine. how many people clicked on that?....tore it up. oh well, enjoy the best 2d gaming machine ever made.

Rig, nice find...and yep, that's a version 1 Saturn. As far as games that you should pick up, I'll list some names. I don't know what genres you're into, so I'm just going to list a ton of stuff that I love.

US Releases
Albert Odyssey
Magic Knight Rayearth
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Dark Savior
Shining Force III
Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators
Mega Man 8
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
Nights Into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Iron Storm

Another great thing about the Saturn is that it is very import-friendly. Just buy yourself an Action Replay 4M+, which plugs into the cartridge slot. NCSX sells 'em for about $30, and if you really want to dig into the Saturn, it's highly worth it. http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html?id=EskvPiVk is the link to the item in their store. Basically, the cartridge functions as a cheat device, memory backup for your saved games, and an import game enabler. I'll list some imports that I'd recommend as well...they're fairly easily enjoyed without knowing Japanese.

JPN Games
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter
Wachenroder - This one has a full translation over at GameFAQs, written by a friend of mine. Awesome game, and awesome work on the translation!
Fire Pro Wrestling S: 6 Men Scramble - 2D wrestling, with support for six player multi! Saturn multitaps are cheap, and this is one game that is definitely worth it! Has full menu translations up at GFAQs.
Slayers Royal
Slayers Royal 2
Shining Force III Scenario 2
Shining Force III Scenario 3
NOON - Awesome puzzler. Translation available at GFAQs.
Lots and lots and lots of shmups.

That should help get you started. Many of the games I've listed don't cost that much, though some of them do command a higher price (Shining Force III, mainly). I tried to cover multiple genres, so hopefully you can find something that suits you. The Saturn is one of my favorite systems ever, and if you really get into it, there's a good community of people on the Saturn General board over at GFAQs. They're good about answering questions and offering suggestions. I hope you have fun with the console!

[quote name='FrankySox']I don't know if I should be happy for you or pity you. I had a Saturn for two years and it never caused me anything but trouble. The engine went out several times, and the tranny was very problematic. Also I had 2 10 inch subwoofers and it pretty much rattled that piece of shit apart. Take care of your car and it might last. Good luck buddy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it was only $22 - that's about 1/3 off black book value. Plus it came with a real Saturn steering wheel. Good find OP!

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Rig, nice find...and yep, that's a version 1 Saturn. As far as games that you should pick up, I'll list some names. I don't know what genres you're into, so I'm just going to list a ton of stuff that I love.

US Releases
Albert Odyssey
Magic Knight Rayearth
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Dark Savior
Shining Force III
Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators
Mega Man 8
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
Nights Into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Iron Storm

Another great thing about the Saturn is that it is very import-friendly. Just buy yourself an Action Replay 4M+, which plugs into the cartridge slot. NCSX sells 'em for about $30, and if you really want to dig into the Saturn, it's highly worth it. http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html?id=EskvPiVk is the link to the item in their store. Basically, the cartridge functions as a cheat device, memory backup for your saved games, and an import game enabler. I'll list some imports that I'd recommend as well...they're fairly easily enjoyed without knowing Japanese.

JPN Games
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter
Wachenroder - This one has a full translation over at GameFAQs, written by a friend of mine. Awesome game, and awesome work on the translation!
Fire Pro Wrestling S: 6 Men Scramble - 2D wrestling, with support for six player multi! Saturn multitaps are cheap, and this is one game that is definitely worth it! Has full menu translations up at GFAQs.
Slayers Royal
Slayers Royal 2
Shining Force III Scenario 2
Shining Force III Scenario 3
NOON - Awesome puzzler. Translation available at GFAQs.
Lots and lots and lots of shmups.

That should help get you started. Many of the games I've listed don't cost that much, though some of them do command a higher price (Shining Force III, mainly). I tried to cover multiple genres, so hopefully you can find something that suits you. The Saturn is one of my favorite systems ever, and if you really get into it, there's a good community of people on the Saturn General board over at GFAQs. They're good about answering questions and offering suggestions. I hope you have fun with the console![/QUOTE]

Thanks for that extensive list. I'm going game hunting today, so I'm printing that list out. My local Game-X-Change has a complete mint copy of Rayearth for $50, but that's too rich for my blood! :lol: They usually have a "Sega Sale" going on, becuase they have a ton of Saturn games, but nobody ever buys them. They will finally have someone who does! :D

Hahahaha! In a way, I envy you, Rig...the mere fact that your stores still carry Saturn games is a fortunate occurrence, in my book. I actually bought my copy of Rayearth at a Game-X-Change store for $14.95, but that was years ago. That's the same place I picked up Dragon Force and Albert Odyssey as well, for the same prices. Anyway, yeah, some of the good Saturn games have gotten expensive these days, but one thing about them: the really good ones can't be played on any other U.S. console, for the most part. If you like 2-D gaming, then you'll seriously get into the console. After you've gotten a few US games under your belt, if you put up the $30 for the AR4M+, it's like opening the door to a whole new world. There were so many Saturn releases in Japan that it's just insane, and it's so easy to import with that system since you don't have to mod or get it modded. Convenience! Anyway, congrats again on purchasing a fine, underrated system. :D

edit: I meant to add on the list above that Astal has a reputation for being a good 2-D platformer, and it's fairly inexpensive for a US copy. I just haven't seen one in the wild in a long time, so I still don't own it. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

[quote name='opportunity777']I will congratulate you on your great find at that price. But ...

The Saturn mostly sucks, good luck finding games that will keep your attention for a long while that are not imports :p

If I were to buy 3 games they would be Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, and Shining Force III. I like playing the gun games from time to time too.

Do you know Japanese? If you don't then I guess you are out of luck for the most part for building a big library of worthwhile games ... :p

Also don't overspend on the 3 games I mentioned you can get them on the cheap from time to time in excellent condition :)[/QUOTE]
The Saturn doesn't suck at all, I forgot who said it, but someone called it 2d heaven, and it is. Dragon Force, Shining Force III, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Ark, Nights, Guardian Heroes, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon 1, 2 and Saga, Fighters Megamix, Night Warriors (Darkstalkers), Virtual On, Street Fighter Alpha 2, 3, and Zero, Saturn Bomberman, the list goes on.

Some of the best games on the Saturn are imports and never made it here, like Radiant Silvergun, Sakura Taisen, Grandia, Lunar, Metal Slug, the last 2 scenarios in Shining Force III, Princess Crown, Bangai-O (eventually made it on the Dreamcast), Keio Flying Squadron 2, Langrisser V, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and a lot of others that I can't think of.

The Saturn was the ultimate console for fighters, 2d shooters, and arcade ports. Its difficulty to develop for (2 Hitachi processors running paralell), and Bernie Stolar being the most incompetent CEO in the history of the world, killed it.

I bought a Saturn shortly after they first came out and I never looked back.

Don't buy Magic Knight Rayearth, Working Designs halfassed it after Bernie Stolar told them to go screw themselves.

I'm seconding Galactic Attack, also a little known but need looking and decent 2d platformer, Astal. Both can be gotten for cheap I imagine and are neat games most overlook.

I second getting Galactic Attack and I also recommend Astal, both can be gotten pretty cheap I believe.

[quote name='dafoomie']The Saturn doesn't suck at all, I forgot who said it, but someone called it 2d heaven, and it is. Dragon Force, Shining Force III, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Ark, Nights, Guardian Heroes, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon 1, 2 and Saga, Fighters Megamix, Night Warriors (Darkstalkers), Virtual On, Street Fighter Alpha 2, 3, and Zero, Saturn Bomberman, the list goes on.

Some of the best games on the Saturn are imports and never made it here, like Radiant Silvergun, Sakura Taisen, Grandia, Lunar, Metal Slug, the last 2 scenarios in Shining Force III, Princess Crown, Bangai-O (eventually made it on the Dreamcast), Keio Flying Squadron 2, Langrisser V, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and a lot of others that I can't think of.

The Saturn was the ultimate console for fighters, 2d shooters, and arcade ports. Its difficulty to develop for (2 Hitachi processors running paralell), and Bernie Stolar being the most incompetent CEO in the history of the world, killed it.

I bought a Saturn shortly after they first came out and I never looked back.

Don't buy Magic Knight Rayearth, Working Designs halfassed it after Bernie Stolar told them to go screw themselves.[/QUOTE]

Your list is too long for me :)

[quote name='Fanboy']Yeah, but it was only $22 - that's about 1/3 off black book value. Plus it came with a real Saturn steering wheel. Good find OP![/QUOTE]

:rofl:

He's talking about a car not the system :)

bread's done
Back