I found a second person who Half Life 1 makes sick!

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
For some reason, the original Half Life makes me sick to my stomach. I was never even able to finish the demo back in the day-even though I've played countless FPS before and after Half Life, and aside from maybe one or two other non-N64 games (and gazillions of N64 games) stuff never makes me feel sick.

But...the girl I've been seeing...she games too, and I gifted her a copy of Half Life 1 'cause it was 98 cents...and it makes her feel sick to her stomache too!

I have NO idea why, either. Half Life 2 (the demo anyway) is just fine. I can't figure it out.

I'm guessing you mean graphic wise? If that is the only issue, a team is working on the game with the source engine and graphics. Should be out sometime in 2009. Half Life 1 was a great game, even though the last part pissed me off several times, still a great game and story.

Yeah, I mean I assume it's the graphics. I don't know why though. I don't know what makes it unique. It's just the Quake 1 engine, and Quake 1 is fine.

She just IMed me that even THINKING about her brief time playing it was making her stomache turn. I was doubled over just trying to get through the demo. Had to finally try to alt-F4 to kill it before I lost it.

And...I can't think of a single other non-N64 game that did that to me. I think there have been a VERY few, but nothing like that. I'm curious to play my 98 cent copy and see if it still does that to me.

No, just some normal people have been trying to redo Half Life 1 for real, in source. It's not connected to Valve. I think it's called Black Messa, and it's basically a Half Life 2 mod...which happens to be Half Life 1.

I just heard (from these forums) that Half Life: Source doesn't even work quite right.

I know what you mean man. I remember playing Half Life one at my friends house back in the day and it gave me crazy motion sickness for some reason. I started to get light headed and ended up stopping. Weird cause I been playing Half Life 2 on the 360 and I haven't experienced that feeling once, so yeah I know exactly what you mean.

[quote name='Wolfpup']No, just some normal people have been trying to redo Half Life 1 for real, in source. It's not connected to Valve. I think it's called Black Messa, and it's basically a Half Life 2 mod...which happens to be Half Life 1.

I just heard (from these forums) that Half Life: Source doesn't even work quite right.[/quote]

Wolfpup got it right. Here's the trailer for it.
http://www.destructoid.com/the-trailer-for-black-mesa-is-absolutely-gorgeous-113302.phtml?s=50

[quote name='antlp89']I know what you mean man. I remember playing Half Life one at my friends house back in the day and it gave me crazy motion sickness for some reason. I started to get light headed and ended up stopping. Weird cause I been playing Half Life 2 on the 360 and I haven't experienced that feeling once, so yeah I know exactly what you mean.[/quote]

Wait...Wolfpup, are you saying the graphics are bad or that playing it makes you ill?

Geez, that is SO weird! :lol: I'd love to know what's different about Half Life.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant the motion sickness thing it causes in some people is weird.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Wait...Wolfpup, are you saying the graphics are bad or that playing it makes you ill?[/QUOTE]

I meant if physically makes me ill when I play it (my girlfriend type person too). The graphics were actually good when I originally played it.

If it was like shaking the camera around or...something...I might assume it was that, but I have no idea what causes it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I meant if physically makes me ill when I play it (my girlfriend type person too). The graphics were actually good when I originally played it.

If it was like shaking the camera around or...something...I might assume it was that, but I have no idea what causes it.[/quote]

Oh...okay. I read your first post wrong then. Sorry about that.

I don't recall ever being ill/motion sickness from playing Half-Life. Hmm....maybe I should fire it again and see.

are you playing in a well lit room? playing w/ the lights out can do make the effect worse.. I use to get major sick from three FPS's Rise of the Triad and Dark Forces 1&2 I'm a epileptic though however DF 2 is the only game to ever give me a seizure and I mainly play FPS games. Also try not to play for too long as your eyes will mess w/ you for some screwy reason.. then again ymmv ;-)

I have that happen to me too, some FPS makes me sick to my stomach, while others are perfectly fine.

Makes me sick:
Condemned
Half-Life 2
Doom 3
Rise of Triad
Wolfenstein 3D
Bioshock
Deus Ex

Perfectly fine:
COD4
TF2/TFC
Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six series
FEAR
Crysis
all Unreal Tournaments
Portal

I think for me it has to do with 'finding things' within the gameplay. If I have to find a key to open a door, or find a way out of a maze, I get sick to my stomach.

Timesplitters 2 is the only game that has ever made me feel sick after playing it. Sucks too, I really wanted to play it, but every time I tried, I got pretty sick feeling and had to stop.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Maybe the FOV is different from other standard shooters?[/quote]

This is correct.

I get sick from some shooter but not from others, games from Valve usually make me sick because Valve likes to use a wider FOV in their games. So you would see more of the peripheral vision. Half-Life 1 made me sick, as did HL2 and the Episodes. I also had the issue with CS:Source. I forced myself through HL2, I threw up at least twice but after I got through halfway I was more or less okay for periods of over two hours.

When a game makes me sick, (I started FarCry about two months ago and I am only 2 hours in.) I will usually have to play for some time until I am accusomted to it. And it is not always the FOV that is the problem, is it also the move ment of the camera. The 'bobbing' effect you get when you move, that combined with a strange FOV messes me up.

Ever since I got a widescreen monitor it has been worse. The monitor being widescreen was an unforseen negative as the games will sometimes change the FOV to fit the monitor as opposed to streching the view. This was the case with Bioshock and that took me the first 3 hours to get used to.

As I play more and more games it really becomes less of a problem then it used to be. But there are still some games that are almost unplayable. HL2 used to be that game for me but now it is Farcry and Painkiller. Those two will still mess me up good if I play them for more than 10 minutes.

I will make a list too, of games that make or made me sick. The more plusses the sicker.

Painkiller +++
Farcry +++++
Doom 3 ++
Quake 4 +
HL1 ++++
HL2 + Episodes +++++
TF2 +
Red Faction ++
Condemned 1 + 2 ++++
Bioshock +++
CS:Source +++
GRAW ++++
System Shock 2 ++++
Tron 2.0 +++
Sin Episodes +++++
UT2004 +++
Return to Castle Wolfenstien ++

Some of these games I am now fine with, others will me make nasueous for hours.

So yeah, there are those of us who suffer. There sure aren't a lot of us though. When HL2 made me sick I spent a couple of hours searching online for "HL2 Headache fix" and the like. And I found just one forum on which some guy suggest changin the FOV. Which worked but by that time I was getting sick just looking at the title menu, I was conditioned to feel sick in way. Took a while until it was okay.

Man, I am interesting.

..... I'd like to say you guys are panzies for getting sick... but it's something that you mind has control over and not you.

Did any of you take any Dramamine? Either the Non-Drowsy or the full strength while playing? Make sure you double up too... if needed.

That could help.

Also playing with the lights on, and sit a tad further away from the screen.

I've never gotten sick. And I've played everything, it's an inner ear/brain thing, some people are more sensitive to vertigo and there isn't much to get you not to be that way.

Hmm. I dated a girl who loved FPSs, as well, but was so terrified of the head crabs that she couldn't play Half Life - I think they actually gave her nightmares!

[quote name='mang9432']the only thing half-life gives me is a boner[/quote] I think a crowbar can fix your problem. :bouncy: Also, a headcrab.

Last edited by a moderator:
HL2 made me really nauseous after a few minutes of play. Increasing the FOV helped. Only other game that's done that to me is Sins Episodes: Emergence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to force myself to finished HL 1. Followed by some aspirin for my spinning headache. Someone speculated it was the textures used in the game, but it never happened with any other games. Love,Hate relationship here.

[quote name='mang9432']the only thing half-life gives me is a boner[/quote]

Thinking about the G-man too much? :D

I don't have these problems with FPS games, but HL1 did make me a little queasy in parts. Whenever I had to time one of those jumps off a spinning platform or something, I felt like I needed to hurry up and jump or I was going to throw up!

That is so weird that quite a few of us have issues with just Half Life 1! I mean I'm totally fine (or like 95-99% fine anyway) with those other games that were mentioned. I did toggle the widescreen option added in the patch to Bioshock, but I just did it because it was easier to play for me that way.

She was using I think a 15.4" widescreen, so probably more the equivalent of a 14" screen. I would have been using probably a 17" CRT at the time. I'm curious to see if I still get sick from it.

Turok 2 and Banjo 2 on the N64 both made me feel sick, but I think it was because of the terrible frame rates.

[quote name='Photomotoz']This is correct.
The 'bobbing' effect you get when you move, that combined with a strange FOV messes me up.
[/quote]
Most common FPS games allow an option to disable the bobbing effect when you move.

One of my cousin is the same, FPS will make him dizzy. I wonder ... do you get the same feeling during some old skool Mario Kart?

I think FOV settings should be standard in all shooters due to this. Here you've got people who want to play these games but it makes them physically sick. A simple setting could bring in more customers.

[quote name='NTolerance']I think FOV settings should be standard in all shooters due to this. Here you've got people who want to play these games but it makes them physically sick. A simple setting could bring in more customers.[/QUOTE]

I think 90 was a pretty standard FOV setting back in the day with almost only 4:3 monitors. Hell I think Team Fortress 2 still defaults to 75. And damn some of you are hardcore. There's no way I would play shooters if they actually made me vomit.

Yeah, Half-Life 1 does this to me too.

However, HL2 doesn't bother me at all.

The only other game I can think of that bothered me was Bioshock.

I've found I can only try playing HL1 and 2 for small bits of time to avoid feeling completely sick to my stomach. I've been playing FPS games for quite awhile myself and other than the two HL games, the only other game I found to do this to me was the original Unreal. My random unsupported theory for both HL1 and the original Unreal was that in those games you move fast. Really fast, especially compared to most of today's FPS games. I think a combination of that and looking around too quickly is what causes me to start feeling dizzy.

With HL2 it was harder for me to tell since Gordon moves slower than he does in HL1. One thing that always bothered me about it though was how whenever I looked anywhere it would take a couple of seconds for him to move his gun along with my eyesight. So that's what I concluded made me feel queasy playing that game since it was distracting seeing his gun arm wobbling all over the place when I'm just trying to look around or aim. I can play HL2 for longer periods of time than HL1 and Unreal, unless it's one of those bike levels. Man I hate those. I can hardly play for 10 minutes when those levels come up.

turok on the N64 did it for me, even watching that game for 30 seconds made me motion sick! I get wierd motion sickness from some loose camera third person views like in Kingdom hearts, GTA, etc. As far as shooters though, turok was the only one I can think of, but I've run into a lot of people who had a similar reaction to that game. Is it the framerate perhaps? I hope HL1 doesn't do that to me, havn't played it yet. It makes it very unenjoyable.
I also very much don't reccomend Alladins magic carpet ride at DisneyQuest in Florida! I had motion sickness for a good 1/2 hour to 1 hour. My brother stopped after 5 seconds or so, I only lasted 30 seconds. Would be funny to be an operator on that on and watch people stand in line to leave that quick running to lose thier lunch.....

This is so weird how we're all affected differently. Turok 2 and Banjo 2 did it for me (I suspect because of the terrible framerates), but Turok 1 was okay, as was Unreal 1 and Half Life 2 (at least from the demo).

[quote name='xycury']..... I'd like to say you guys are panzies for getting sick... but it's something that you mind has control over and not you.
[/quote]

Heh, I was thinking "Man you guys are hardcore, if you actually barfed and then went back to the same game." :applause:

I'm like Seinfeld when it comes to vomiting...if a game mede me puke I would burn the disc in a ritualistic ceremony.

[quote name='Clarke']That's crazy. I have my FOV at max in my games. Gotta make good use of screen space.[/quote]

How many games even offer that option? And max? Isn't that 360 degrees? I know in HL2 through the console you can change it to crazy amounts but I have only seen the option to change it once, and I can't recall what games it was.

[quote name='Kyo']Most common FPS games allow an option to disable the bobbing effect when you move.

One of my cousin is the same, FPS will make him dizzy. I wonder ... do you get the same feeling during some old skool Mario Kart?[/quote]

Some do some don't, though I rarely remember to change it. Mario Kart? Nope, personally I am okay with nearly everything that is done in third person.

For me, Call of Duty 4 makes me sick when your guy sprints. I don't know why; maybe it's the bobbing of the gun? Maybe it's the resolution (it was 800 x 600, but I changed it to 1024 x 768, much better).

Man, it's nice to see i'm not alone on the HL thing... I have had no problems with HL1, but HL2 is making me ill. I think it's the widescreen format more than anything else.

I'm playing HL2 on my PS3. I'm going to try ginger pills first, but if those don't help- hello gamestop!

[quote name='antlp89']I know what you mean man. I remember playing Half Life one at my friends house back in the day and it gave me crazy motion sickness for some reason. I started to get light headed and ended up stopping. Weird cause I been playing Half Life 2 on the 360 and I haven't experienced that feeling once, so yeah I know exactly what you mean.[/quote]

Same here man. I can play HL 2 on pc or 360 and I am fine but HL on PC just gives me a headache.

This is really weird-I started Half Life 1 again (that I rented during that 98¢ sale Valve had)...and so far, it's not affecting me! I don't know why. I did notice that the I guess field of view (?) looks really 'zoomed in' compared to other first person games, so I don' know if a different FOV is what's causing the issues?

So far so good though, and I'm REALLY enjoying the intro. Way better than the demo. It's pretty scary and cool so far (despite the Quake 1 graphics!)

I get sick with 1st person view games that move around too quickly. Any game where I have to constantly look around rooms to find things will do it to me. Like Bioshock or Metroid Prime. I even experienced it with RE4 when I was trying to find all the blue medallions at the farm.

MjC

Did you try running it as openGL or DirectX?

I know that was one of the last engines to support openGL. Maybe that has something to do with it.

The only time I get motion sickness gaming is when I play my PSP in the car.

Here's a funny observation on my end:

I own CoD4 for both the PC and the 360. and I find myself playing th 360 version more because I felt less dizzy and sick than playing on the PC. It might be the fact that I have to put distance between myself and the television set, or it could be the difference in my posture from PC vs. Console gaming (on the couch, laid back vs. on an office chair, leaning forward.

Come to think of it, I'm currently playing through Titan Quest right now on the PC, and I don't know what it is (could be the annoying screen refresh that I'm noticing), but that too makes me feel a bit dizzy if I play it too long.

My old roomie used to go through a bag of candied ginger whenever he and me would team up on CoD4 on XBL, and I heard that ginger does help with the problem a bit.

Started playing wolf 3d and most shooters with Quake 2 religiously. At the release of half life, the game would make me nauseous.. I would endure it and play in burst, each time afterward I was extremely tired. Metroid Prime did the same, as well as most other console shooters. Finally I just kept dealing with it. I read that you can build a tolerance and your body can adjust. After dealing with it and finishing halo 2 I was fine. One thing you can do is to look at something fixed in your room away from the screen every now and then..

supposedly it's highly psychological. IF you think you'll experience the simulator sickness, it will be worse. I've been played flower on the PS3 for 3 hours last night- until my wife asked me why it wasn't triggering my motion sickness. Next thing you know- I had to turn it off.

bread's done
Back