I got a job at activision

danked

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
:D yes its true, I start as a game tester and hopefully, my start to a career in the industry , been modeling for some years know got 2 years of game design school done. Woot just happy and need to tell everyone

I bet you're makin the big bucks. I was always under the assumption that getting paid to play games was not fun.

[quote name='Dingleberry']I bet you're makin the big bucks. I was always under the assumption that getting paid to play games was not fun.[/quote]

:lol:

You really have no idea how little money game QA people get paid do you?

OP. Congrats, but I hope you're ready for the hell you are about to go through for $9 an hour.

[quote name='machoman_93']Whats their policy on leaking game info? Maybe you can tell us some insider info?[/QUOTE]
It's called a Non-disclosure agreement. Look it up.

Par for the industry is: If you get caught telling anybody anything, you're in deep shit. Not just fired, but probably sued to oblivion.

[quote name='Dingleberry']I bet you're makin the big bucks.[/QUOTE]
You're kidding, right?

[quote name='mtxbass1']

OP. Congrats, but I hope you're ready for the hell you are about to go through for $9 an hour.[/quote]What does it say about American culture where, sitting on your ass playing a video game, for $9 an hour, is considered "hell". Yes, I get it, you're playing the same unfinished crap over and over and over, but it beats manual labor any day.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What does it say about American culture where, sitting on your ass playing a video game, for $9 an hour, is considered "hell". Yes, I get it, you're playing the same unfinished crap over and over and over, but it beats manual labor any day.[/quote]

Because it's shit pay considering the job you have to do and the hours you'll have to work, along with the deadlines and people you have to deal with?

$9-10 an hour, in areas where game dev houses are (I'm looking at you California) is pure crap.

We pay our game testers between 11-14 an hour and the cost of living is no where as high here as it is there. Granted it's a case by case situation, and the OP MAY have some luck, but every QA person I know that works (or has worked) for the big companies absolutely hates it.

[quote name='machoman_93']Whats their policy on leaking game info? Maybe you can tell us some insider info?[/quote]

I had to sign a NDA just for going in and having the interview, so I don't think they mess around with that

[quote name='danked']:D yes its true, I start as a game tester and hopefully, my start to a career in the industry , been modeling for some years know got 2 years of game design school done. Woot just happy and need to tell everyone[/quote]

What school are you going to?

Suggest that their GuitarHero games be compatible with the RockBand instruments. People who bought RockBand will go and buy GuitarHero 3, more money for them.

[quote name='daphatty']Gratz and welcome to the industry.[/QUOTE]

Pls keep us updated on when you get burned out on Video games.

[quote name='mtxbass1']:lol:

OP. Congrats, but I hope you're ready for the hell you are about to go through for $9 an hour.[/quote]

yep low pay long hours, but its a job in the industry I plan a career for, so it works for me, lol yeah the job I'm given up I make a lot more hourly but o well

[quote name='danked']yep low pay long hours, but its a job in the industry I plan a career for, so it works for me, lol yeah the job I'm given up I make a lot more hourly but o well[/quote]

I really hope you have more experience than a QA position if you ever want to get in the industry. A 2 year degree will do you little good.

[quote name='mtxbass1']:lol:

OP. Congrats, but I hope you're ready for the hell you are about to go through for $9 an hour.[/quote]

Y'all pay pretty well then. I know my buddy applied at Red Storm and they only pay minimum wage here (which is something just above six bucks).

[quote name='mtxbass1']I really hope you have more experience than a QA position if you ever want to get in the industry. A 2 year degree will do you little good.[/quote]

That's not necessarily true. From my experience, I'd say that getting a job in the industry is more about talent than type of degree at this point. A great modeler/animator/level designer/whatever should be able to find work regardless of whether he has a 2 or 4 year degree.

I have heard that some studios will only interview if you've got a BA/BS, but I'm sure they'd make an exception if they felt that a particular person would be a huge asset.

[quote name='Scorch']A game tester is hardly "in the industry", but congrats![/QUOTE]

Yah, because testing products for a industry is totally not working in that industry.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I really hope you have more experience than a QA position if you ever want to get in the industry. A 2 year degree will do you little good.[/QUOTE]

I know PLENTY of people who have done really well without a two year degree. One particular buddy of mine started off as a tester, has a two year degree in plumbing, and makes six figures as a lead designer. How is this possible? He knows his shit. Inside and out. And he knows the other guys shit inside and out. It isn't just about what your degree states, it's about how well you know video games.

[quote name='neocisco']Being a mod doesn't mean you're "in the industry".;)[/QUOTE]

Very true. In fact, it means you are anything but working in the industry. But this isn't my day job either. ;)

[quote name='daphatty']Very true. In fact, it means you are anything but working in the industry. But this isn't my day job either. ;)[/quote]

You're Peter Moore, aren't you? I knew it!

[quote name='mtxbass1']I really hope you have more experience than a QA position if you ever want to get in the industry. A 2 year degree will do you little good.[/quote]

yes I been working a Few Mods and I still have 2 years of school left, so I think it will work out

[quote name='daphatty']I know PLENTY of people who have done really well without a two year degree. One particular buddy of mine started off as a tester, has a two year degree in plumbing, and makes six figures as a lead designer. How is this possible? He knows his shit. Inside and out. And he knows the other guys shit inside and out. It isn't just about what your degree states, it's about how well you know video games.[/quote]

Of course. There will always be exceptions. We have a person who has a photography degree and they do just fine. They also have 10 years of experience behind them programming. It's a little naive to think that just because you have a degree (wether it be a 2 year, 4 year, or higher), that you are a shoe in to get in the industry.

Most of our folks have a Computer Science degree at a minimum. The ones that don't, have background/experience in programming. Almost everyone programs for a hobby. It takes real determination to get in.

A good number of "major" jobs in the industry require a minimum level of experience. If you want to go work for Epic, for example, expect to have 5+ years of C++ experience to even get a screener interview.

bread's done
Back