I just bought a DS Lite from Target! Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow Ebay is getting these dumped now and some just above cost! There has been around 5-7 all day untill recently...... How can some of these people sell them at $169 or $170 shipped, or better question why would they bother? Actual out of pocket cost is $163 ($138 system with tax, about $10 priority with insurance/dc, $6-7 Paypal fees and about $8 in Ebay fees total including fvf and BIN) Maybe if you signed up for a Target card and saved $13 but still...... I already ran the numbers because I grabbed an extra to Ebay. I was hoping to get the Lite for free this way after selling the fat DS and then a lil profit off one of these. Looks like i'll prolly be taking it back to Target or selling it here at cost plus a handshake.

Any news from the Target in Tempe that had them in stock? I know the Paradise Valley Mall Sears has them, but thats too much of an expedition for me. Any updates would be appreciated.;)

Can anyone confirm in-store pickup from sears yet? I have one close to me also showing them in stock and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn for nothing.

[quote name='$hady']wow Ebay is getting these dumped now and some just above cost! There has been around 5-7 all day untill recently...... How can some of these people sell them at $169 or $170 shipped, or better question why would they bother? Actual out of pocket cost is $163 ($138 system with tax, about $10 priority with insurance/dc, $6-7 Paypal fees and about $8 in Ebay fees total including fvf and BIN) Maybe if you signed up for a Target card and saved $13 but still...... I already ran the numbers because I grabbed an extra to Ebay. I was hoping to get the Lite for free this way after selling the fat DS and then a lil profit off one of these. Looks like i'll prolly be taking it back to Target or selling it here at cost plus a handshake.[/QUOTE]

I hear that. Add gas+time and you may as well work for Kathy Lee.

[quote name='Rudiger']I'd love to hear a report when you get back. Its a half hour drive for me and I dont want to drive in all that traffic if it isnt necessary.[/quote]

Forget it! I got to the Target on Baseline and McClintok. One employee was looking at me dumbfounded, he asked someone else who puffed out his chest and said that they can't sell it till the 11th. When I said my friend (we're all friends here, right?) picked one up an hour ago already from this store, he said he knows and it was a mistake.

I was there around 5:15.

There's no other targets that have them out in the east valley, at least by calling them. They all say the same standard reply.

[quote name='SithFran']Forget it! I got to the Target on Baseline and McClintok. One employee was looking at me dumbfounded, he asked someone else who puffed out his chest and said that they can't sell it till the 11th. When I said my friend (we're all friends here, right?) picked one up an hour ago already from this store, he said he knows and it was a mistake.

There's no other targets that have them out in the east valley, at least by calling them. They all say the same standard reply.[/QUOTE]

That sucks man, there was two guys who bought them right before me, so there is 3 sold already. They might as well just put them out.

None at Target in Rockaway or Rt. 22, or Walmart in Boonton or Rt. 22 (All in NJ). I broke down and preordered at the EBGames nearby. When I asked when it comes out (to verify that I won't be cheated on the 11th) he said "I don't think it's Sunday, that's a weird day, everything comes out on Tuesdays." So when I mentioned that everywhere says the 11th he checked the computer and said "Well, it says street date, June 11, so I guess it is Sunday. Leave it to Nintendo to do things differently." So we'll see if I actually have one come the 11th.

[quote name='ukhoops']Can anyone confirm in-store pickup from sears yet? I have one close to me also showing them in stock and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn for nothing.[/quote]

Well I called 2 sears that said they had them in stock and both guys told me they didn't, but they both sounded like complete idiots. So Im not even sure if they knew what I was asking for....

[quote name='SithFran']Forget it! I got to the Target on Baseline and McClintok. One employee was looking at me dumbfounded, he asked someone else who puffed out his chest and said that they can't sell it till the 11th. When I said my friend (we're all friends here, right?) picked one up an hour ago already from this store, he said he knows and it was a mistake.

There's no other targets that have them out in the east valley, at least by calling them. They all say the same standard reply.[/quote]
Damn thats too bad. Thanks for the report. You just saved me alot of driving time.

Anyone else a little leary about using in-store pickup on these? I just have that "i gonna get screwed if I use this" feeling.

[quote name='misterbowtie']I got one at the Bashford Manor Walmart in Louisville, KY. They had loads of them in the display case. :D[/quote]
You bastard. Because of you, they pulled them!

Blaarg!

Anyway, I work at the EB in Louisville. We don't even have any Lites in the store, but they might come in the shipment tomorrow. I'll find out when I open the store.

Here's hopin'!

The only thing I'm worried about using in store pick up for is that it will take time to put the money back on my card.

i just called my local sears, and they didnt have any in their store (according to the electronics rep)....so you would have to wait for them to recieve the product before you can pick them up

I picked one up today at the Walmart in Medina, OH. I called target, they said they didn't have them yet, but that since they were remodeling they hadn't recieved any new stock in a few days.

At Walmart, they had approx. 12 there. When the girl rang it up, it said that she couldn't sell it yet. I got a little worried, but she just did an override, and said that the box they came in said to display right away.

Anyway, it's an absolutely fantastic machine.

Checked around the North Dallas area Targets and Wal-Marts. Spring Valley and 75 had Lites on display, but they came up with a "SELL NOT PERMITTED" or something error. I tried to get them to ring it up under a general department code (a la an earlier post), but no go. The manager said the reason that message comes up is because there is a recall (haha yeah right) on the item, and they can't sell it at all. Too bad.

Btw, I confirmed with my favorite GS that release date is still 6/11. Ship date was 5/31 or something, but release date did not change. That's to stop all the rumors of a changed release date.

well lets hope that the recall isnt possibly a seperate thing, they've been probably printing an insane amount for all the launches, and with the early shipment being wierd enough i would be a little concerned at the sound of a recall. especially considering i got one today, oh well, i have my receipt in case anything goes really wrong, and this time i could just go to my nearest target if i need to do an exchange.

but hopefully they arent faulty or anything like that and the guy didnt know anything.

[quote name='Darkstraw']before i even went to check target i called ebgames and asked them if they had it, he said it wouldent be out till sometime next week, but he would check and see what day it was, looked and said it has been moved up to june 1st, it seems this just happened so the employee's that have the date memorized arent going to look, they will just tell you june 11th, but we only have to wait till tomarrow to see i guess.[/quote]

If this turns out to be true tomorrow and my preorder is handed to me in the morning, you will become (at least briefly) my favorite person.

I thought you deserved to know. :applause:

Just got mine at the Palatine target. Other people were lining up behind me for them, so phone first.

thanks Darkside Hazuki!

[quote name='crazytalkx']With a newly acquired $100 I'm on this like fly on crap. I'm going to check out the Baldwin Park Target and Walmart, and shall return with happy or emo news.[/QUOTE]

Damn, faileddddd, couldn't find them at either store, bah.

EDIT: Sweeeeeeet, in store pickup at the local Sears.

I just checked the Target in Farmington, MI (on Grand River) and they had NO DS Lites in stock, although I couldn't get any help in the electronics section. I'm going to try the Wal*Mart in Livonia on the way to work in the morning.

EDIT: I may have an in store pickup at the Sears in Livonia Mall (Order is processed, but I have yet to receive the pickup email.)

Can I just say how glad I am to read that this was everywhere? Half of my day today was spent stressing out about this thing. I run the electronics department of the Target in my area. We received a pretty hefty shipment of the DS Lite Tuesday afternoon. The boxes were not marked with a street date as usual, and when the Nintendo rep had been in on Friday, she hadn't mentioned it. Furthermore there was nothing in the Nintendo retailer binder about a street date for it. These are the precautions that we check before we put something out on the floor. No information on our end meant that we had the okay to put it out, so we did. I would have left them on the floor, too, except after selling one to a college aged kid this morning, he asked me how we got the go ahead to break the street date on it.

After that we pulled them off the floor and called our Nintendo rep to ask her about a street date. She gave us the date of the 11th, and the we pulled the product and my nervous breakdown about breaking the date ensued.

I'm not in tomorrow, although I'm sure by now we've gotten emails about how to handle it from here on out. Hopefully they just bumped it up to tomorrow so all of you folks who have been waiting can get your hands on it a bit sooner!

The absolute worst thing about this early release is that its giving a false sense of demand for the DS Lite. Sure, it will sell well but now that its reported pretty much everywhere then people think its hotter than it is and will snatch up multiple Lites for ebay and everything.

That leaves people waiting for months like us a bit screwed because we can end up in target right behind some ebaymom buying 6 at a time.

attention Northern Illinois Cagers

Just got back from the Wal-mart and target in Dekalb IL and i came up with nothing.

thanks to the fellow cager with the other Illinois info. my parents live close to woodfield and my girl lives minutes from northlake and melrose park. saved me the trip

june 11th here we come

Heads up to all the Ohio CAGs out there...i went lookin today after work for some and checked the pilaris target which was a no go then the super walmart on high street which was also a no go. But as a last ditch effort since i was in the area I checked the meijer across the street andthey DID have them in stock...about 10 of them so my froiend and I grabbed 2 and after long time trying to bypass the street date holdup we waklked away with them.

So if your in the area there are some at the meijer off of state route 23 in lewis center.

bill123

Where did you guys get this tomorrow release date from?? One person mentioned it and now every thinks it's tomorrow? It's great for those still looking if it's true but......

My idiot friend decided he doesn't want to spend the money when he gets paid and is gonna pass on the Lite I got him today..... I'm either returning it since Ebay looks blah (and i'd already bought another to sell) or if anyone wants it for cost plus a tip for sending it to you early let me know (assuming there is no miracle release tomorrow). Cost is $138 system with tax, $10 priority mail with insurance/dc, $4.50 Paypal fees plus a few bucks for the trouble.... PM me and we can talk otherwise it goes back probably friday.

[quote name='spincut']oh, i think about 23 (carfers estimate of 7+ was a little off, perhaps they got more from the back).

considering the odd location as long as you go today that may be the least of your problems, they may get wise and stop selling them before they sell out.
[/quote]

just came back!.... All sold out. :drool:

The guy said they sold all they had. I'm guessing they wont be able to restock until the 11th once nintendo finds out they sold out of something they should not be selling. :applause:

Happy hunting tomorrow I guess.

[quote name='ukhoops']Can anyone confirm in-store pickup from sears yet? I have one close to me also showing them in stock and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn for nothing.[/QUOTE]

I went to Sears before they closed tonight and first off he was clueless second off I showed him online that it showed they had some in stock he went to go find the DS for me. After 10 min. he came back and said it was still on the truck ATM. I ordered in the store for instore pickup and I should get mine tomorrow. I have not recieved my confirmation email yet but I should get mine tomorrow or Friday @ the latest. I also cancelled my gamestop preorder and the clerk got really pissed that I should get my DS lite early.

I have one reserved at Gamestop. So if I see one, cool. If not, I can wait until the 11th.

Until I see one on the subway. Then the green eyes of envy will show. :)

[quote name='$hady']Where did you guys get this tomorrow release date from?? One person mentioned it and now every thinks it's tomorrow? It's great for those still looking if it's true but......

My idiot friend decided he doesn't want to spend the money when he gets paid and is gonna pass on the Lite I got him today..... I'm either returning it since Ebay looks blah (and i'd already bought another to sell) or if anyone wants it for cost plus a tip for sending it to you early let me know (assuming there is no miracle release tomorrow). Cost is $138 system with tax, $10 priority mail with insurance/dc, $4.50 Paypal fees plus a few bucks for the trouble.... PM me and we can talk otherwise it goes back probably friday.[/QUOTE]

The same thing when slidecage said you wouldn't get your money back at CC. I hate morons.

You may all find this quote from someone over at the Penny Arcade forums interesting. I certainly did.

-----

So, I ordered online from Best Buy. They said they wouldn't charge my credit card until the item was shipping. I checked my account status online and it incurred a deduction from Best Buy for the amount of the DS Lite + Shipping.

-----

This bodes well, I think. :D It seems plausible that Nintendo would just bump the release date up 10 days (being that EB/Gamestop gets them tomorrow, that'll mean their major retailers will all have them) in order to capitalize on the rush of people trying to get them early anyhow, and also perhaps to stop people from making bulk profits on them on eBay. And if Best Buy's charging people's credit cards for a shipped product, that more or less means it's going out the doors.

At any rate, I'll certainly be driving over to my EB first thing tomorrow. I confirmed with my local Target and Walmart that they do indeed have them in stock, but as of now none of them would give them to me. Tomorrow may be a different story.

Thanks for the tip! Drove down there this evening. The sales guy said he had half a display case full of them (my guess somewhere around 30 at least) and were down to 7 (at 7:45pm). I picked up two -- one for me and another for my friend who lives 30mi away. I think I'd never hear the end of it if he found out that there was more than one and I didn't grab one for him.

First thing tomorrow -- get my EB deposit back too.

[quote name='ceckman']Just purchased a DS Lite at the South Central Super Target on South Main Street near Reliant Park in Houston. They had about 10 - 15 in the cabinet. The sales girls were all complaining about how they just bought the old style and now they've come out with a new one. Psych....

If anyone else in Houston needs one check there - phone # is 713-666-0967.

Looks like EBgames will be refunding my $25 deposit : )

Very nice system - it's charging now but the colors look noticeably more vibrant on the screen and the buttons are a little nicer. My 6 yo daugther has just inherited my old racing red DS and she can't stop playing AC on it. My wife wants to kill me : )

Thanks OP for the heads up. 11 days before offical release is NICE![/quote]

The 2 Targets in my Area both said that they would be on the shelves at 8AM June 1st. I will know at 8 if they plan to stick with it.

4685 Presidential Pkwy , Macon, GA 31206-8712 US
Phone: (478) 405-0273

2929 Watson Blvd , Warner Robins, GA 31093-9600 US
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,Geneva][SIZE=-1]Phone: (478) 971-2141

[/FONT][/SIZE]

Perfect. I'll get one for the girlfriend tomorrow. Funny, I feel like getting two for some reason. Stupid DS Lites are like crack or something. Maybe when a different color one comes out.

Ahahaha. We thought the EXACT same thing of you! (As far as scalping them) We were the "two dudes." Strange how we thought the respective parties were shady. We were actually taking a "break" from work (I told them I was running an errand) and were getting one for a coworker that did not come with us. Yeah, I nearly freaked out when the guy talked about the June 11th date. :lol: But as you said, thanks carrerf!

[quote name='spincut']got one!!! i just got back from the Target South Gate that carrerf reported, thanks again dude, you came through after all.

a little story to go with it too, see when i got there there there were a few other guys there too, their intentions were obvious becase like me they were obviously looking for the DS wall oddly located around the corner. Of course we all met eyes and knew what we were there for. They even mumbled something to me about "you know there's a website that tracks these things".

between these two guys they were buying 3, probably to sell one or all, so they were kind of surprised when i said i was buying it because i wanted one (i kept really quiet and ignorant, didnt want to let the closeby sales girl that made this all possible too wise). Then of course this other guy comes to th eclass case and wants one too.

WHILE the girl is unlocking it this guy actually says, "arent these not supposed to be sold yet?", i and i'm sure the other two wiser fellows wanted to dart him a look but even then we just kept really quiet and still and pretended we didnt hear him.

luckily this chick still had no problem grabbing 5 DS lite boxes and ringing them all up, i bought mine first and SPEED WALKED THE HELL OUTTA THERE BEFORE ANYONE GOT WISE.

anyhow so i have it now, take THAT Australia. not sure if i'll even play it tonight though, i think i might wait a couple days till my Hori filters come in the mail (didnt expect to have to order them so soon, hehe).

so anyway thanks again carrerf, after West Hollywood and Crenshaw telling me flat out no, i didnt think it was going to work anywhere near LA. Also thanks to the nice purple haired Target employee girl that was cool (or uninformed) enough to do this.[/quote]

[quote name='Ravenlock']You may all find this quote from someone over at the Penny Arcade forums interesting. I certainly did.

-----

So, I ordered online from Best Buy. They said they wouldn't charge my credit card until the item was shipping. I checked my account status online and it incurred a deduction from Best Buy for the amount of the DS Lite + Shipping.

-----

This bodes well, I think. :D [/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. I preordered a Gamecube from Bestbuy.com and they charged my card for that like a week or two early too. When I got all excited and called them to ask what the hell they told me that that was them paritioning the money in my bank account, or something, to make sure the money stayed put for when they actually charged it for real. Or maybe they were just testing to makre sure I had it at all. I'm not sure. But in anycase a day later the money showed up back in my account and I had to wait 'till launch day like everyone else. So, don't get too excited about that.

[quote name='fdu']Ahahaha. We thought the EXACT same thing of you! (As far as scalping them) We were the "two dudes." Strange how we thought the respective parties were shady. We were actually taking a "break" from work (I told them I was running an errand) and were getting one for a coworker that did not come with us. Yeah, I nearly freaked out when the guy talked about the June 11th date. :lol: But as you said, thanks carrerf![/quote]

Did he look like his avatar? :lol:

[quote name='fdu']Ahahaha. We thought the EXACT same thing of you! (As far as scalping them) We were the "two dudes." Strange how we thought the respective parties were shady. We were actually taking a "break" from work (I told them I was running an errand) and were getting one for a coworker that did not come with us. Yeah, I nearly freaked out when the guy talked about the June 11th date. :lol: But as you said, thanks carrerf![/QUOTE]

funny. You thought i was scalping it? i remember saying i was just buying the one for me, whereas you were buying an extra, and i thought you said something about making some money off it or something.

what do you mean respective parties? you mean you thought i was shady and you thought i thought you were? cause i didnt say that. or you you mean the other guy? i just happened to not be in summer class today (the USC shirt wasnt just for show) and my internship at 94.7 was delayed so i had a freeday to run this very errand.

[quote name='cottonballs']just came back!.... All sold out. :drool:

The guy said they sold all they had. I'm guessing they wont be able to restock until the 11th once nintendo finds out they sold out of something they should not be selling. :applause:

Happy hunting tomorrow I guess.[/QUOTE]

aww dude too bad, they did have about 23 left, so i guess people must have really flocked to the store, or maybe an ebayer, i dunno, would have figured they'd stop selling them before that.

-and NO i dont look like my avatar picture, that's from Jonan Vasquez's brilliant Squee series, you should really read it:

n3407335_30196028_7204.jpg

[quote name='Wombat']according to the guy at the Best Buy in Midtown, the Best Buy in Chelsea got them in today, it may be too late to get one, but if you are close buy it cant hurt to check. If someone has already posted this, sorry for the repost[/quote]

Well, after a one hour train ride and 30 minute walk, I found out that guy was wrong :eek: The guy working there knew that Target was already selling them but told me June 11th.
I told him I heard that his store was selling them and he said "Oh really? Where did you hear that?" and looked a little suspicious. Maybe they were out earlier in the day.

To wrap up my day:

None at Best Buy in Chelsea.
None at WalMart in East Meadow.
None at Target in Levittown.

EDIT: Might be worth noting that none of those stores had either the DS or DS Lite.

I managed to find one in Seattle, WA at the Shoreline Sears on 150th. There was one more DS Lite in the display case, if anyone else wants to nab it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back