I just bought a DS Lite from Target! Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mini.boss']Oh great. IGN brilliance at work. They link this thread and then go on to say "IGN contacted Nintendo for comment and we will be sure to update if we hear back from them."

What a bunch of ass-kissing pricks. They've been in bed with Nintendo for a while now with rediculous game reviews and things like this just to get exclusive stories on the Wii. But c'mon, contact Nintendo so they can crack down on all the stores and force everyone to pull it off the shelf just so they can get a 2 sentence story? Good thinking IGN you morons.[/quote]

Funny, i read it that they were being good journalists and were contacting Nintendo to see if they knew about it and what they intended to do about it...

Called my local Sears, which according to their site has them in stock, and the guy in electronics says they have them but can't sell them. Whens he rings one up he gets a "RTV error".

grrrrr...

[quote name='astyanax']"Thank you for shopping at sears.com. In order to provide the best customer experience, we checked with your local store at BURLINGTON MALL and discovered that one or more of the item(s) in your order weren't in stock. We have cancelled this order, and no charges pertaining to this order have been processed."

ARGH[/QUOTE]

Damn it. I am waiting for my Sears email right now. This does not bode well.

Anyone check any other out of the way stores with lazy/inept stock people? I'm thinking maybe a K-Mart or a KBToys?

Ok, I just called back the EB Games were I have it on preorder and they say it'll be available on (get this) the 12th. 12th?!?!? I knew this whole idea of having a release date of Sunday was just stupidity on Nintendo's part.

-HM

DAMN. Gamestop that I pre-ordered at isn't selling them "for another two-three weeks." Might just go up there later anyway, check the Target next door.

[quote name='Hollow Man']I'm not much of a console gamer, but I can say with PC games, there really doesn't ever appear to be a street date. When they're done and finally make it to the store, they start selling. I guess people figured these were in the same boat.

If they just made the release date for ALL electronic stuff Tuesday, this nuttiness would probably subside.

-HM[/quote]

most games in general are never street dated. only big stuff like halo 2, madden, kingdom hearts 2, etc. the thing is most stores usually don't get the game until the day it's supposed to release anyway. that's why games are never really sold early.

you think when these retailers sell out of ds lites they will get more before the june 11th street date?

im gonna call work (game crazy) today and see if we had any luck by getting some in.

Well I just got back from a Walmart 40 minutes away. I called them FIRST to make sure they had them. Then had the Woman/Moron/Retard/Idiot/Monkey try and ring it up to make sure it would, and she said yes it did. So of course when I get there it gives out a long beep when she tries to ring it up. She continues to do this at least 30 more times before she finally calls the Manager over there.
When the Manager gets there she says they can't be sold till June 11th. I then show her the stacks of them in the display case. They then go digging around the boxes that they unpacked them from and find the big red sticker that reads JUNE 11th. I tell the handicap, "Thanks for letting me drive 40 minutes after you confirmed it over the phone that you had them and they ring up". She just looked away and started talking to the manager.
Looks like they lowered the IQ standards for getting hired at Walmart from 10 to -10.

[quote name='mini.boss']Oh great. IGN brilliance at work. They link this thread and then go on to say "IGN contacted Nintendo for comment and we will be sure to update if we hear back from them."

What a bunch of ass-kissing pricks. They've been in bed with Nintendo for a while now with rediculous game reviews and things like this just to get exclusive stories on the Wii. But c'mon, contact Nintendo so they can crack down on all the stores and force everyone to pull it off the shelf just so they can get a 2 sentence story? Good thinking IGN you morons.[/QUOTE]

Look, I hate IGN as much as the next guy, but I don't fault them for contacting Nintendo for comment. That's due dilligence you learn in Journalism 101. For that matter, they would not have been off-base in trying to get comments from someone at WalMart and Target, either.

Obviously some exciting news for the lucky. But come on, after reading a few posts, some people need to relax and just wait. I plan to get one myself, but I'll wait after it's released and when a store throws in at least a small deal with it.

[quote name='Tyvan']Well I just got back from a Walmart 40 minutes away. I called them FIRST to make sure they had them. Then had the Woman/Moron/Retard/Idiot/Monkey try and ring it up to make sure it would, and she said yes it did. So of course when I get there it gives out a long beep when she tries to ring it up. She continues to do this at least 30 more times before she finally calls the Manager over there.
When the Manager gets there she says they can't be sold till June 11th. I then show her the stacks of them in the display case. They then go digging around the boxes that they unpacked them from and find the big red sticker that reads JUNE 11th. I tell the handicap, "Thanks for letting me drive 40 minutes after you confirmed it over the phone that you had them and they ring up". She just looked away and started talking to the manager.
Looks like they lowered the IQ standards for getting hired at Walmart from 10 to -10.[/QUOTE]

They're probably laughing about you right now b/c you just got owned! :lol:

[quote name='Hollow Man']Ok, I just called back the EB Games were I have it on preorder and they say it'll be available on (get this) the 12th. 12th?!?!? I knew this whole idea of having a release date of Sunday was just stupidity on Nintendo's part.

-HM[/quote]

Overstock's date is the 12th as well. Funny until you posted it I assumed the 11th was a Tuesday. Man...I'm out of touch with the world.

[quote name='Tyvan']Well I just got back from a Walmart 40 minutes away. I called them FIRST to make sure they had them. Then had the Woman/Moron/Retard/Idiot/Monkey try and ring it up to make sure it would, and she said yes it did. So of course when I get there it gives out a long beep when she tries to ring it up. She continues to do this at least 30 more times before she finally calls the Manager over there.
Looks like they lowered the IQ standards for getting hired at Walmart from 10 to -10.[/quote]

Ugh. Unfortunate. :cry: My last chance is this afternoon - there's one local Sears whose electronics department knows nothing about the DS Lite but claims their truck shipments usually come in at around 1PM on Thursday. So at 1:30 I'll go find out if maybe they put some on the shelves.

After that, it's back to just waiting until the 11th with everybody else.

I'm actually flabbergasted that I haven't seen more people talk about this. Having a Sunday release date is the most bizarre thing I've heard of in a while. Around here stores open late (if at all) and close early on Sunday. Why not make the date Friday or Saturday (considering shipping is obviously going on) so gamers have the whole weekend to enjoy their new toy?

-HM

[quote name='PikaPichu']They're probably laughing about you right now b/c you just got owned! :lol:[/quote]
No, Nobody "owns" me.

[quote name='Hollow Man']I'm actually flabbergasted that I haven't seen more people talk about this. Having a Sunday release date is the most bizarre thing I've heard of in a while. Around here stores open late (if at all) and close early on Sunday. Why not make the date Friday or Saturday (considering shipping is obviously going on) so gamers have the whole weekend to enjoy their new toy?

-HM[/QUOTE]

Nintendo does Sunday releases a lot. I remember picking up the Game Boy SP on the street date at TRU on a Sunday morning.

Has anyone successfully completed a Sears in-store pickup sale (or just walked into a Sears and purchased one)? I just ordered one from the location nearest work. Hopefully I'll get the e-mail before lunch and can go pick it up.

[quote name='Hollow Man']I'm actually flabbergasted that I haven't seen more people talk about this. Having a Sunday release date is the most bizarre thing I've heard of in a while. Around here stores open late (if at all) and close early on Sunday. Why not make the date Friday or Saturday (considering shipping is obviously going on) so gamers have the whole weekend to enjoy their new toy?

-HM[/QUOTE]

GBA SP, GameCube, and DS were all released on Sundays. I guess they figure people have more time to pick them up or something. But it's a Nintendo tradition at this point.

[quote name='Maddgief']Funny, i read it that they were being good journalists and were contacting Nintendo to see if they knew about it and what they intended to do about it...[/quote]

No, "good" journalism is catering a story around what the viewers want. Pursuing a story just to build favor with the party in question is called FOX journalism (IGN doing FOX journalism? How odd...)

IGN is a game site so the story their readers would want to hear would be 1st hand experience with the DS Lite or the stores where its readers may be able to find it. Going directly to Nintendo asking for a comment with links to all the stores breaking the street date is just ratting them out and making things tougher for us. In no way will they get a comment other than "We'll look into it" with actions to enforce their rules.

[quote name='mini.boss']No, "good" journalism is catering a story around what the viewers want. Pursuing a story just to build favor with the party in question is called FOX journalism (IGN doing FOX journalism? How odd...)

IGN is a game site so the story their readers would want to hear would be 1st hand experience with the DS Lite or the stores where its readers may be able to find it. Going directly to Nintendo asking for a comment with links to all the stores breaking the street date is just ratting them out and making things tougher for us. In no way will they get a comment other than "We'll look into it" with actions to enforce their rules.[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I thought the point of journalism was to accurately report the news.

I ordered a DS Lite with in-store pick up from the Sears on Irving Park Rd this morning. I picked that store since it had the DS Lite as in-stock and the other locations had it as 3-5 business days.

About an hour later, a rep from Sears called me at the office and said that I wouldn't be able to pick it up until June 11th. She had a conference call with Nintendo last night and they stated that Sears, or any retailer, should "absolutely not start selling the DS Lite until June 11th". I'm sure other retailers got the same notice.

So, I guess if you didn't get a DS Lite yesterday, you'll be waiting until June 11th, just like me!

Congratulations to those lucky people that got them before the memo went out to pull them from the shelves!

Well here's my theory: Nintendo knows what they are doing. They did not go out of their way to tell retailers about the street date and shipped them 2 weeks early to breed hype. I mean the more people talk, the more casual gamers are like, hmm this new DS-Lite must be the shiznit (cuz that's how casual gamers talk :) ) I mean you cant say Nintendo is new at the whole console release thing. For better or worse, this past year Nintendo has mastered the art of hype with the Wii and now the DS-Lite. I don't think Nintendo will come down very hard on retailers about this, if anything I think they will use it as leverage to get prime shelf space and displays for the Wii.
But then again, who knows. :)

[quote name='Walt Jay']I ordered a DS Lite with in-store pick up from the Sears on Irving Park Rd this morning. I picked that store since it had the DS Lite as in-stock and the other locations had it as 3-5 business days.

About an hour later, a rep from Sears called me at the office and said that I wouldn't be able to pick it up until June 11th. She had a conference call with Nintendo last night and they stated that Sears, or any retailer, should "absolutely not start selling the DS Lite until June 11th". I'm sure other retailers got the same notice.[/QUOTE]

Obviously their Web folks didn't get the memo, as it still shows it in stock at many locations.

Did you just cancel your order over the phone with her?

Doesnt Nintendo have a history of releasing their consoles a few days before their official street date? I know its not the same as almost 2 weeks early, but I know I bought both my N64 and my Cube a few days before the 'official' release date.

They should know that stupid retail employees are not smart enough to check street dates.

At Target we don't have a way to check street dates on things like this. When its a big release like a console, we get a packet about a week beforehand with the instructions on what to do. We can't pull them up on the computers or anything. We're taught to rely on our vendors, the boxes being marked, and the signing in the store. None of which had the information correct in this case. I don't really understand why there's a need to insult the employees when I can attest that at least in my store, there was no indication that it was a street date product at all.

[quote name='Tybee']That's funny. I thought the point of journalism was to accurately report the news.[/quote]

Ding! I think mini.boss is off on this one.

[quote name='madara']Me: Do you have DS lite in like your milwaukee stores?
Racine target girl: Yes indeed, we have new white ones.
Me: Lite, L I T E
Racine target girl: quite a few
Me when I get there: I only see regular DS can you show me where DS lite are?
Racine girl: Yes right here, as she points to regular DS.
Me: A that is not L I T E that is old version.
Racine girl: Oh those are not for sale until later in month.
Me: But someone over phone confirmed for me... NM
Me: Calling oak creek target that original OP of this thread got his from, DO you have any DS lite left?
Male Oak Creek Target guy: Yes we have 11
Me on arrival: Where are DS lites sir?
Male Oak Creek Target guy: Oh those dont come out until the 11th.
Me: Sighing... I was clearly told over the phone there were here, besides a guy has proof he bought his here on the net.
Male Oak Creek Target guy: He is mistaken, we dont even have them yet, he must have old version.

Wow, what crappy day. I had pay $10 in gas for rides too :([/QUOTE]

Thanks for saving me the trouble of my looking (in Racine or Oak Creek).

Oh well, I can try to save the $15 at CC or I have a $10 off at TRU coupon . . . so I guess I wait 10 days.

[quote name='Tybee']Nintendo does Sunday releases a lot. I remember picking up the Game Boy SP on the street date at TRU on a Sunday morning.

Has anyone successfully completed a Sears in-store pickup sale (or just walked into a Sears and purchased one)? I just ordered one from the location nearest work. Hopefully I'll get the e-mail before lunch and can go pick it up.[/QUOTE]
Which store, Tybee? I tried that trick at Northpoint this morning, and when I checked back, it said CANCELLED. Just placed another order at Cumberland-- waiting for confirmation/cancellation.

Looks like Gwinett Place, Cumberland, and Northlake are the ones that have it in stock so far.

[quote name='Tybee']Obviously their Web folks didn't get the memo, as it still shows it in stock at many locations.

Did you just cancel your order over the phone with her?[/quote]

She did state that the website is incorrect, so it's definitely a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I still got the "Your order is ready to be picked up" email from Sears.com. Maybe if I go raise hell they'll let me pick it up! :bomb:

I didn't cancel my order with her. At least I'll have a DS Lite waiting for me if my local Gamestop doesn't get enough DS Lites to fulfill their pre-orders.

[quote name='Walt Jay']I ordered a DS Lite with in-store pick up from the Sears on Irving Park Rd this morning. I picked that store since it had the DS Lite as in-stock and the other locations had it as 3-5 business days.

About an hour later, a rep from Sears called me at the office and said that I wouldn't be able to pick it up until June 11th. She had a conference call with Nintendo last night and they stated that Sears, or any retailer, should "absolutely not start selling the DS Lite until June 11th". I'm sure other retailers got the same notice.

So, I guess if you didn't get a DS Lite yesterday, you'll be waiting until June 11th, just like me!

Congratulations to those lucky people that got them before the memo went out to pull them from the shelves![/QUOTE]

That really, really sucks. I guess I don't need to check my email for confirmation every 5 minutes now.

[quote name='mini.boss']No, "good" journalism is catering a story around what the viewers want. Pursuing a story just to build favor with the party in question is called FOX journalism (IGN doing FOX journalism? How odd...)
[/QUOTE]

Here we go again...

[quote name='El Gray']Which store, Tybee? I tried that trick at Northpoint this morning, and when I checked back, it said CANCELLED. Just placed another order at Cumberland-- waiting for confirmation/cancellation.

Looks like Gwinett Place, Cumberland, and Northlake are the ones that have it in stock so far.[/QUOTE]

Also Cumberland. It's really pretty hopeless, as it sounds like even if they send the go-ahead e-mail, it won't ring up when we get there.

I'm running all over the damn place looking for this thing with a sprained ankle, no less.

Two local stores are now on the "in store pickup" with sears, so i figured i'd give it a go. I unfortunately used my AOL email address for confirmation, and AOL's mail system seems to be down right now...

[quote name='shannyn21']At Target we don't have a way to check street dates on things like this. When its a big release like a console, we get a packet about a week beforehand with the instructions on what to do. We can't pull them up on the computers or anything. We're taught to rely on our vendors, the boxes being marked, and the signing in the store. None of which had the information correct in this case. I don't really understand why there's a need to insult the employees when I can attest that at least in my store, there was no indication that it was a street date product at all.[/QUOTE]

I agree, consumers can be pretty dumb at times. Too bad you're not supposed to talk back to them when they aggravate you and you know they're in the wrong. :(

[quote name='Ravenlock']Man, it's a shame the stores in Central PA are somehow more in touch than the ones in Nashville. ;)[/QUOTE]

Raven, where are you at, have you tried up at the State College store?

Anyone tried Sears in-store pickup and had success? All 3of mine show it in-stock now, so i'm just wondering.

Thanks for the info

20 years from now... at a retro-convention in the back of a Hilton Hotel...

''And our guest speaker this evening - 'Trakan' - the guy who bought a DS Lite before it the official street date... round of applause, Trakan takes the stage and tells his story... :)''

*humiliating trombone riff* Wah wah wah waaaaaaaaaah:

Dear Sears Online Customer,

Thank you for shopping at sears.com. $In order to provide the best customer experience, we checked with your local store at 1500 CUMBERLAND MALL SE and discovered that one or more of the item(s) in your order weren't in stock. We have cancelled this order, and no charges pertaining to this order have been processed.

I believe I speak for one and all when I say, with the utmost decorum, MOTHER fuckER. :bomb:

Sounds like Sears.com and the stores don't have a good line of communication between them.

Oh well.....back to waiting

[quote name='El Gray']Just got the same thing from Cumberland. Rat bastids![/QUOTE]

Well, at least we have closure, and that's what's really important.

:roll:

No one has chimed in on Northpoint Target or the SuperTarget over here in Roswell yet, so I think I'll check those at lunch, just for the halibut. They're both nearby.

[quote name='Tyvan']No, Nobody "owns" me.[/QUOTE]

Except for when you drive that far thinking you're getting something, and wind up with nothing...and apparently nobody cares. Then you definitely are owned.

Guys, this is probably dead at this point. For those who cared enough and/or were lucky enough to track one down yesterday, hurray. Everyone else is probably going to have to wait. This is "news" now so there's a much less likely chance you're going to find one. Even if they are near you, by this time someone has beat you to them.

Just got a call from Sears.

"The DS Lite you ordered has been returned to the manufacturer. You can either call Sears.com and cancel the order, or come pick out a different one."

"I'll cancel. Thanks."

[quote name='KaneRobot']Except for when you drive that far thinking you're getting something, and wind up with nothing...and apparently nobody cares. Then you definitely are owned.

Guys, this is probably dead at this point. For those who cared enough and/or were lucky enough to track one down yesterday, hurray. Everyone else is probably going to have to wait. This is "news" now so there's a much less likely chance you're going to find one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, word has spread (Gamespot has put it on their POLL on the mainpage) and retailers have probably already received the memo. I guess I'll just have to wait another weak or so for my DS Lite.

It would've been nice to have one right now though. HL 2: Episode 1 is supposed to be released today so that can possibly take out minds off of the Lite. :)

[quote name='El Gray']No one has chimed in on Northpoint Target or the SuperTarget over here in Roswell yet, so I think I'll check those at lunch, just for the halibut. They're both nearby.[/QUOTE]

Good luck to ya. If by some miracle you come upon some, pick up an extra one for me, would'ja?

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']Raven, where are you at, have you tried up at the State College store?[/quote]

Yup, that's precisely where I am. The Target stores were wise to the problem yesterday at 1PM. The Walmart employees don't have a clue, but their boxes say "don't display until June 11th" and their sales won't ring up, so they're not willing to pull an override.

Only shot left is Sears at the State College mall (I called Altoona, they didn't have any). The mall one says they get their shipments on Thursdays around 1PM. So I'll be headed there in about an hour just for the heck of it to see if I can snag one, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

[quote name='Tybee']*humiliating trombone riff* Wah wah wah waaaaaaaaaah:

I believe I speak for one and all when I say, with the utmost decorum, MOTHER fuckER. :bomb:[/quote]

That's weird that you guys got that. I still got the "Order is ready for pickup" email. I could always try to pick it up. :cold:

I also got the "store has non in stock" e-mail and my order was cancelled. Waiting on sears #2 to see if anything is different this time

[quote name='KaneRobot']Except for when you drive that far thinking you're getting something, and wind up with nothing...and apparently nobody cares. Then you definitely are owned.

Guys, this is probably dead at this point. For those who cared enough and/or were lucky enough to track one down yesterday, hurray. Everyone else is probably going to have to wait. This is "news" now so there's a much less likely chance you're going to find one. Even if they are near you, by this time someone has beat you to them.[/quote]

No. nobody Owns me. Me Mum did at one point, but that time has passed on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back