I know you guys are all about cheap deals, but...

Thebostonrag

CAGiversary!
Today the company I work for and once placed a lot of belief in did something unforgivable. They rewarded all of the long-time, hard-working employees they had depended on for years with termination. Company-wide, they laid off nearly 15 or 20% of their workforce to cut costs. They have let people go who stayed with the company for a long time because they believed in the company as well. I will not be quitting my job, because I am paid well for my age and have quite a few bills to pay. I can't afford to quit. Once I finish my degree, I am so far gone. They fired many people whom I am happy to call good friends and I won't have the pleasure of working with them again. What I am asking is for everyone to boycott Circuit City. Go shop somewhere else, please. Do it for me and the good people they threw to the curb.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Whenever I happen to go to CC there's usually only one person in the entire store doing any work. I can't say this was a surprise.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Most deserve to be fired.

Plus were you planning on working at CC for the rest of your life?

The stores I go into have at least 15 people in them all the time. There is one talking about how great the car stereos are, one putting DVDs up, and 2 at the counter. The other 10 sit around flirting with each other.

[quote name='dopa345']But if we boycott CC, won't even more people lose their jobs?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The OP is basically saying, 'Hey, lots of my friends lost jobs, so don't buy from there. I won't even realize why I got laid off as well.'

It's a nice premise, but it's capitalism. When you have Best Buy as your only real major competitior in the same realm, damn skippy I'll shop at CC.

It sucks, but it's retail.

You have to give CC some credit they have been struggling for a while and continue to offer deals... ie $13.99 new releases etc.

Anyway I have seen very few people actually working when i go in their stores so this was bound to happen.

I also have been very well taken care of there and much prefer them over BB even after hearing this.

Of course I won't be working here for the rest of my life, I just can't afford to change jobs right now. I'm looking, but nothing will probably come of it. I'm just hanging on until I finish my degree and can get a real job. What happened to these people today was unforgivable, and they didn't deserve it. I'm sorry if you all don't agree.

A job is just a contract between a company and an employee to work for pay.

If either of the two parties are unhappy about the level of compensation, they typically walk.

Corporate propaganda will typically espouse the myth that your company is one big family and that your services are highly regarded and fully appreciated by management. However just compare your pay to your CEO and executive managers pay, and you will quickly see how much they really think of you. The executive board sees your corporate loyalty as just another "+1" on the list of experienced employees, and noone is going to look out for your interests but yourself. The only way to truly boost your value is to learn marketable skills that are going to set you apart from the rest.

If this is just too much to bear, go get a job with a union shop or the government - while you'll never have to worry about being fired, you're likely to be dissappointed by the way in which the other side of the coin plays out...

[quote name='David85']I agree. Most deserve to be fired.[/quote]

Must you constantly promote yourself as a dumbass?

[quote name='Thebostonrag']Of course I won't be working here for the rest of my life, I just can't afford to change jobs right now. I'm looking, but nothing will probably come of it. I'm just hanging on until I finish my degree and can get a real job. What happened to these people today was unforgivable, and they didn't deserve it. I'm sorry if you all don't agree.[/QUOTE]

Firstly, very sorry these people lost their jobs. I'm sure most did not deserve it. It really sucks when something like this happens and it's not the fault of the people who get screwed at all.

However, you need to look at the big picture. I doubt you are going to claim that Circuit City decided to randomly fire people. Most likely they are losing money and would go out of business if they did not make changes. It's sad and innocent, hard-working people lose out sometimes in these sorts of deals, but that is the nature of capitalism. One can only take stock in that there are lots of opportunities out there, low unemployment, and hopefully the people affected will be able to find another position, maybe even better position, in the near future.

As for yourself, make sure you are educated, hard-working and ambitious, and don't sell yourself short.

[quote name='docvinh']It's a pretty shitty deal that they did that, but it is the way of the world at this point. Good luck on finding a new job.[/QUOTE]

He didn't get fired from his old one, I don't think. The whole thing is worded very badly.

He is asking us not to stop in a store that way when business goes down they have to fire thousands more. Makes sense to me.

[quote name='Msut77']http://www.rense.com/general76/3400.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the article. Obviously, I take back some of what I said above.

This seems like an incredibly stupid move by Circuit City. It will obviously have harsh effects on employee morale (see: this thread) and skill levels. The dumbest thing is that they raised these people's salaries and then decided later that they were too high and they had to be fired for it...if you don't want to pay people that llevel of wages, don't raise their salaries to that level. It just seems really stupid what they did.

[quote name='elprincipe']Thanks for the article. Obviously, I take back some of what I said above.

This seems like an incredibly stupid move by Circuit City. It will obviously have harsh effects on employee morale (see: this thread) and skill levels. The dumbest thing is that they raised these people's salaries and then decided later that they were too high and they had to be fired for it...if you don't want to pay people that llevel of wages, don't raise their salaries to that level. It just seems really stupid what they did.[/QUOTE]

It's fascinating to see that they were frustrated that their "overpaid" employees were making around $11 an hour. Apparently, earning $22,000 in one year is far too much for CC.

If CC is losing money and laid employees off in the short term, well, that's one thing. It's another to see what's going on here. It's part of the wider trend to cheapen labor; I truly think (but have no proof, and nobody else has made this argument) that we've, as a consumer nation, hit a tipping point where a company's further expansion is redundant.

As a business, you earn more money by (1) increasing sales or (2) decreasing costs. When you see an interstate exit that's the same as everywhere else (omigod! A Wendy's! McDonald's! Denny's! Burger King!), you can see how it becomes less and less likely that companies can expand to increase sales.

Let me ask you this: do you really need another Best Buy/Home Depot/fast food joint by your house?

So, cost cutting becomes the way to improve a company. Technology has improved that it will eventually be cheaper to have a fast food joint beam your value meal order to an employee working in India before it is beamed back to the restaurant where you pick up the order. We've hit a point where companies are improving cost and efficiency by finding people to work even *cheaper* than minimum wage workers. Apparently, $13,000 to $14,000 a year is too much to pay some people.

That's the end of the trend I'm seeing here. Any non-mandatory job will be outsourced to cheaper labor, coupled with increasing executive pay and stock options. Meanwhile, the greatest lie ever told (American workers' greed is responsible for the loss of their own jobs) will become a mantra that the majority of Americans believe and falsely accept (and you can see that trend if you look at public attitudes towards labor unions, as well as union membership numbers as a percent of the population in the US currently). If you make food, you're safe. If you clean our toilets, mow our lawns, or do any sort of labor that you must be present for, your job is safe. The rest of us? We're fucked. Hardcore. All of us.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's the end of the trend I'm seeing here. Any non-mandatory job will be outsourced to cheaper labor, coupled with increasing executive pay and stock options. Meanwhile, the greatest lie ever told (American workers' greed is responsible for the loss of their own jobs) will become a mantra that the majority of Americans believe and falsely accept (and you can see that trend if you look at public attitudes towards labor unions, as well as union membership numbers as a percent of the population in the US currently). If you make food, you're safe. If you clean our toilets, mow our lawns, or do any sort of labor that you must be present for, your job is safe. The rest of us? We're fucked. Hardcore. All of us.[/quote]

You do have a point about the limitations of expansion, and when companies cut costs, there is only so much blood that can be sqeezed from a stone. Also, it's patently obvious that executive pay is completely out-of-control at this point (they escape names like "robber barons" in modern times because they also control the big media companies)

However all this talk about outsourced labor - you get what you pay for. Sure, you can always find dirt cheap, unskilled labor willing to wash dishes or take out the trash. However if you are looking for salesmen or customer sevice reps, you get what you pay for (look at all the complaints about the Dell tech support lines when they went to India) On top of that, few countries realize just how hard most Americans work, and after they get a taste of our industrious lives by way of the undesirable jobs that American companies have outsourced, they too start demanding more compensation or just flat-out refuse to take the jobs (now even India is beginning to have problems staffing tech support jobs at low wages, and they are outsourcing some of the work to Malaysia)

Outsourced labor is like online gaming - right now there is a lot of hype, but only a foundation layer of substance. I think a much bigger issue is the fair wage issue - like how Starbucks charges $26 dollars for a pound of Ethiopian coffee, yet the Ethiopian farmer is expected to live on $1 a day.

[quote name='camoor']
However all this talk about outsourced labor - you get what you pay for. Sure, you can always find dirt cheap, unskilled labor willing to wash dishes or take out the trash. However if you are looking for salesmen or customer sevice reps, you get what you pay for (look at all the complaints about the Dell tech support lines when they went to India) On top of that, few countries realize just how hard most Americans work, and after they get a taste of our industrious lives by way of the undesirable jobs that American companies have outsourced, they too start demanding more compensation or just flat-out refuse to take the jobs (now even India is beginning to have problems staffing tech support jobs at low wages, and they are outsourcing some of the work to Malaysia)

Outsourced labor is like online gaming - right now there is a lot of hype, but only a foundation layer of substance. I think a much bigger issue is the fair wage issue - like how Starbucks charges $26 dollars for a pound of Ethiopian coffee, yet the Ethiopian farmer is expected to live on $1 a day.[/quote]

I'll take your word on your statements since I don't like to do research that I'm not completely interested in. In any case, assuming that it is infact getting harder to find cheap tech support/labor in India, is it possible than when they run out of cheap labor elsewhere, the labor will return to the US? Probably not, but just something I would hope for in the long term.

bread's done
Back