I love EBGames! (Traded in my PS2)

stocker08

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I went into EB today and i brought my PS2. It has disk read errors on older PS2 disks (Blue Back, Compact Disk games) and i broke the seal when i opened it up to try and fix it. I found out that when it starts giving disk read errors, it means its dying so i wanted to get rid of it before it was completly broke.

I already took it into Gamestop and they would only give me $18 for it............. fuck that.

There were two workers there, one behind the counter and the other one was just kind of walking around inspecting things(i think he was the manager). I put my ps2 with the cables and controller on the desk and asked if i could trade it in. I then told them that it was getting DRE's on older PS2 games with the blue backs. He picked it up and inspected the system put it back down and asked if i wanted the money in Store Credit or cash. I told him i wanted store credit and i wanted to use it towards a new slim line PS2. So he pressed a few buttons and to my suprise, i only needed to pay $70 more!!! They gave me the entire $85 trade in value(its usually $75 but there was a trade in deal for $10 more this week) I am not sure wether they take DRE PS2's or the people working just didnt care. Either way, im happy.

Congrats. You succesfully ripped off EB. Yea I know it's somewhat the clueless cashier's fault for not testing the system, but there is a little word called "Honestly" that you should look up in a dictonary. Hope you're happy knowing that they will probably sell it off to another customer, who will have the same DRE problems you had, thus causing them to have to make another trip out to return the system.

But I guess it's ok when people rip off the companies, right? :roll:

Yeah, EB won't care if the system has DREs... as long as it works on most games. But the fact that they didn't say anything about the seal makes me think that they didn't notice it.

Oh well, once again EB > GS.:)

I brought my xbox in last week and got a good amount for it, but my seal was also broken because my friend wanted to look at something inside the box. They didn't say anything either btw.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Sony replaces Playstation 2s with DREs for free (even if you've broken the seal).[/QUOTE]

nope, not anymore. I called a few weeks ago and after about 30 minutes of talking to some guy, he asked if i wanted to pay $80 to send in my PS2 and have them send me another used one...............bastard.

I am happy with the slim line PS2 though, its smaller, more efficient, and it comes with a built in Network adaptor, i never bought one for my old PS2.

So they are not supposed to take PS2's with a broken seal??? Damn, i got lucky!

[quote name='Scorch']If you trade in three games (dunno if POX applies), you get an extra $30 in credit.[/QUOTE]

Yea, i saw this when i was there. Unfortunatly, i traded in all my old shitty games for Madden 06 and GT4..............

[quote name='Scorch']If you trade in three games (dunno if POX applies), you get an extra $30 in credit.[/QUOTE]

FWIW: I did this today and it was an extra $40 in credit AND the value of the games. Yes the POX rule applies. My PS2 and three games ( ATV 2,RE:Codename Veronica X and DOA Hardcore) netted me $120 in store credit. The deal ends 8/13 though.

Traded in my older PS2 (working fine and no broken seal but it felt to me like it was getting shaky and might fail in the coming year). Along with 5 POX games (bought for $18) last Thanksgiving weekend and got $150 toward a slim PS2 (had to wait a week to get one).

Great deal for me! Love the smaller and quieter unit and I gained the network adapter which I've just started to use.

[quote name='stocker08']nope, not anymore. I called a few weeks ago and after about 30 minutes of talking to some guy, he asked if i wanted to pay $80 to send in my PS2 and have them send me another used one...............bastard.
[/QUOTE]

That must be a recent development, I had my system repaired just a few months ago. (Although I had heard they don't take them with the broken seal.)

since his PS2 is exactly like mine, it plays DVD games fine, which the wide majority of the games are on. it's not really broken. i clean my laser every month or two and it's been playing fine for three or four years. i have a PS1 for PS1 games and will buy a slimline when it's $100 in Novermber.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']since his PS2 is exactly like mine, it plays DVD games fine, which the wide majority of the games are on. it's not really broken. i clean my laser every month or two and it's been playing fine for three or four years. i have a PS1 for PS1 games and will buy a slimline when it's $100 in Novermber.[/QUOTE]

yea, most of my games are DVD games also. So it did work, but i have heard that when it stops reading certain games, its only the beginning of larger problems.

[quote name='indomitable']FWIW: I did this today and it was an extra $40 in credit AND the value of the games. Yes the POX rule applies. My PS2 and three games ( ATV 2,RE:Codename Veronica X and DOA Hardcore) netted me $120 in store credit. The deal ends 8/13 though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That's today.

[quote name='indomitable']FWIW: I did this today and it was an extra $40 in credit AND the value of the games. Yes the POX rule applies. My PS2 and three games ( ATV 2,RE:Codename Veronica X and DOA Hardcore) netted me $120 in store credit. The deal ends 8/13 though.[/QUOTE]

According to the email I received from them, the deal is good through 8/14. http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/promos/40TradeIn/?site=NLF0809

Also, I'm new to this but if you traded in the PS2 and 3 games, do they give you cash or is it just store credit? Is there any % off for getting cash? Thanks.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']since his PS2 is exactly like mine, it plays DVD games fine, which the wide majority of the games are on. it's not really broken. i clean my laser every month or two and it's been playing fine for three or four years. i have a PS1 for PS1 games and will buy a slimline when it's $100 in Novermber.[/QUOTE]

No matter how you look at it, it's still broken. If EB sold you a PS2 that didn't read blue discs I bet you wouldn't be happy, now would you? Once it can't read blue discs, it's broken by EB standards. Either way, my point was that he got lucky he got "working" credit instead of "broken" credit.

[quote name='fleegs79']Also, I'm new to this but if you traded in the PS2 and 3 games, do they give you cash or is it just store credit? Is there any % off for getting cash? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you want cash you're excluded from ALL promotions and you will get 20% off. Although the percentage might differ based on state.

If I took that system in at my store, I'd be forced to pay for it out of my paycheck since I took a broken machine in that ALSO had the seal broken.

[quote name='Scoobert']
If you want cash you're excluded from ALL promotions and you will get 20% off. Although the percentage might differ based on state.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I’ll just put it on ebay or half.com.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']i dont know why sony does not fix the PS2s anymore it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Its because they were actually losing money from fixing them for free because eventually almost all PS2s die from old age. The DREs would be the first symptoms.

Random I hate to break it to you but I have an earlier model and it's still kicking. I at first was getting the disc read error but got out one of those lens cleaners and FINALLY got it to run and I was set. Worked like a charm.

[quote name='89']If I took that system in at my store, I'd be forced to pay for it out of my paycheck since I took a broken machine in that ALSO had the seal broken.[/QUOTE]

Can you get me a stack of those goofy ass yellow stickers, that you guys put all over the used games? Because I'm going to cover my PS2 with them before I trade it in. Oh, and don't forget a few of those "OMG HOT NEU" ones also.

There's an easy way to play blue discs on machines that give out Disk Read Errors...

Take two pieces of scotch tape and place them around the center hole of the label side...like this

IoI

with each piece of tape as close to the hole without covering it...sort of like an H....that's it...most disk read errors are solved with this easy little fix...

Went in and did this also today, traded older ps2(30001schp model) with network adapter and a questionable hard drive with ps2(paid $90 for the trio a few months ago) and Kingdom hearts, Samurai Warriors and legend of legaia for $140 credit. Sold a employee there Ninja Assault for $10, and the other employee there 2 3rd party PS mem cards for $1.50.

Bought Doom 3 expansion and a used copy of brothers in arms for pc for around $35 after tax.

So i have enough credit left for PStwo when the price drops, or when my wow addiction fades.

yea, sony no longer does the free dre fix...they wanted to charge me 80 bucks when i told the i got DREs...i was like fuck that....

My launch PS2 is still kicking, as well, though I am terrified that it'll die on me without warning. How long do you think EB will be offering decent cash for a PS2? Not this deal necessarily, but say more than $60?

[quote name='SDC']My launch PS2 is still kicking, as well, though I am terrified that it'll die on me without warning. How long do you think EB will be offering decent cash for a PS2? Not this deal necessarily, but say more than $60?[/QUOTE]

Chances are not long, although even if sony decides to counter the xbox360 launch with a $99 pstwo, i imagine the demand for used ps2's will still remain, and therefore it will still garner more $ than $30(like the GC does). The mod community and FFXIers demand it.

They're not supposed to allow broken seals if you're trading in as a "working" system. They shouldn't even be taking them as working if they're getting DREs. They should've taken your ystem as a broken one. People are not paying attention I guess. Congrats on having your trade taken by a tard.

Why is everyone worried about their PS2s dying? I never worry about my gamecube or dreamcast dying. Is Sony cutting corners that mutch?

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']Why is everyone worried about their PS2s dying? I never worry about my gamecube or dreamcast dying. Is Sony cutting corners that mutch?[/QUOTE]
Sony has always had a crappy hardware reliability. My PSOne I had to flip upside-down to read discs. My PS2 though, I've seemed to have lucked out on (although is a a V7 model).

Yeah, thats a broken system once you break the seal...you got really lucky, so congrats man...but someone is going to get chewed out for that...

yea sony wanted to charge me 80$ to fix it...........yea right.

and i wont put scotch tape on my games, especially since i heard blue back DRE's are on the start of more problems, i wanted to ditch it fast.

and when i traded it in there were two guys there, one is there a lot and he was instructing the other what to do and stuff. kind of just over looking everything to make sure he was doing everything right. The casheir even asked the other guy if it was ok to take it, but he said yes.....so.....mabey they just take them becuase i asked them what they do with the broken ps2's. They said they send them in to get fixed. They have their own people who fix them.
and i dont think they need the seal on, because EBgames offers their own warrenty on the systems.

You know, my PS2's been working fine, and it's been about 10 months since I got Sony to repair its DREage. Anyway, I don't know how much longer it'll last, but it's holding up very well, even after more than 4 years. Oh, and on another note, I'm pretty sure, but correct me if I'm wrong:

I heard that the reason Sony was fixing DRE's for free was because a class action lawsuit was filed against them, and they opted to fix them instead of paying a large $$$ amount. I read this on a FAQ oin GameFAQs aobut the DRE repair.

[quote name='89']If I took that system in at my store, I'd be forced to pay for it out of my paycheck since I took a broken machine in that ALSO had the seal broken.[/QUOTE]

Wow, your manager's a dick. Sure, you might have fucked up, but that's no reason to take it out of your paycheck.

EBgames always puts pressure on stores to hit goals for trades, UPT (selling more than 1 item in a trans.), pre-played sales, new release sales, Edge cards, GPGs, warrantys. So I believe that store is just taking in anything they can for their trades so it can boost them up in the rankings.

bread's done
Back