I need a Blu-Ray player.

JSReaper212

CAG Veteran
My dad bought a crap load of Blu-ray DVD's and didn't realize that I didn't have a Blu-Ray player. I'm looking for a cheap inexpensive one. I don't really need and features. IDK if there is one that works with a regular TV and a LCD one.

Im pretty sure there's a magnavox one at walmart for like $98. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure taht's the price.

Nah. I'm not going retail. Talking something like newegg or something.
I think I might have answered my own request. O.O

*EDIT* JK nothing there.

IN case this is a viable option here is my basic setup concerning watching blu-rays.

I have a LG blu-ray drive in my computer, and I have my computer connected to my hdtv via a dvi-d to hdmi cable. The bundled software is crap but I've found total media theatre 3 to be rather decent.

This will end up costing you more than just a sub 100 dollar blu-ray drive but depending upon your setup you can get 7.1 sound support, blu-ray live support, et cetera just based on hardware already in your computer.

Walmart has a $98 bluray player they are selling at the moment. I just picked up 1 last night.. it is a Magnavox. It may be YMMV but my walmart has at least 10 more of them available!

Best Buy should have a similar BD player for $100 too.

Otherwise buy a PS3. It will play damn near anything you put in it with no problems every time.

I have my PS3 hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound and 37inch 1080p tv in my gaming "dark" room and it's amazing. I also bought my wife the $98 dollar player from walmart in our living room hooked up to a 1080i tv with no internet access with just the standard tv speakers and it looks pretty damn good. I could tell in a couple spots where the picture kinda went "soft" but overall it's worth every penny of that $98. Now we can get all of our movies from netflix in the bluray format as apposed to just me getting them. Hope this helps :)

I have a Sony BDP-S350 that I got for $150 on Black Friday and have had no issues with at all.

It's $228 on Amazon.com now, not sure about other places.

If you can find one or if you have one near you. Kmart has a Blu-Ray player on clearance for $150.00. Its the BDP-BX1. I bought one for my dad last week.

Walmart has a few BD players for under 200 including a decent pioneer one. I would get one with built in ethernet for updating so you don't have to worry about downloading updates and what-not and transferring them to the player (especially for parents that aren't technically inclined).

-joseph

Stand up to your dad and tell him "Don't you tell me how I should enjoy Hi-def!". Then out of spite, get an HD-DVD player off eBay and watch combo HD-DVDs in front of him screaming "And I'm watching the DVD side!!!"

Just saying...

[quote name='Animal7390']out of curiousity, why no brick and mortar[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing he'd have to go to the "Outdoors" in order to go retail.

Theres fucking bears outside man, ok?

Give the guy a break.

The Magnavox for $100 at walmart is getting pretty good reviews. The guys at HD nation really liked it taking the price into consideration.

Insignia blu-rray player is only $99 at BestBuy.
Free shipping if you're into it.
I think this is the second iteration of Insignia's blu ray.....

[quote name='gtrunner']Blu ray drive for $50 but you need a good PC to run blu rays[/QUOTE]

My setup is far from bleeding edge (I really didn't get these parts for games) but I get decent bluray playback with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
2 Gigs of DDR2-1066 PC2 8500 Memory (Corsair Dominator)
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1gb

I've only run into a few playback issues and that has so far been with two movies. Chapter 30 of V for Vendetta would stutter and Dark City also had a stuttering problem. The fix was easy though. I just turn off ad-aware when I'm playing a movie.

The "killa sample" video would drag big time when I had ad-aware running in the background but it would play perfectly once I turned it off temporarily.

Bluray playback looks better on the PS3 though but I ran into a sound problem trying to get the optical out to work when trying to run it through my computer. Thanks Creative...

Really, the video card is the critical thing. If it's capable of hardware decoding, pretty much any computer from the last 3-4 (and even 5) years is probably going to be able to play Bluray... for Father's Day I got my dad a Radeon 4770 and a cheap bluray drive for his 5 year old Xeon 3.0ghz (equivalent to a P4 3.0!) and they play absolutely fine.

bread's done
Back