I played a PSP today

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I played ATV and the 989 Basketball game, two games I couldn't be less interested in, but I was impressed with them from a technical viewpoint.

The PSP has great potential, but of course, like any console, it all comes down to the games. If it is able to deliver on its promise of 4-5 ONLINE games (that don't suck) on launch, that would be a pretty sick accomplishment (online GT4 while riding the bus = :))

I'm sold and getting one at launch.

Cool!

How did you get the opprotunity to try out the PSP? Do you know someone at Sony, since you tried out some of the US launch titles?

Aaron

[quote name='aaronprather']Cool!

How did you get the opprotunity to try out the PSP? Do you know someone at Sony, since you tried out some of the US launch titles?

Aaron[/quote]
I met the PR guy for Gran Turismo 4 (I played the PS2 version) and the PSP.

I just got to play an import system earlier today and think its a slick machine. I was going to hold out on getting one at launch, but I think I am going to cave..

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='aaronprather']Cool!

Aaron[/quote]
I met the PR guy for Gran Turismo 4 (I played the PS2 version) and the PSP.[/quote]

How does the PSP version stack up against the PS2 version?

[quote name='CheapyD']He didn't have the GT4 for PSP only ATV and Basketball.[/quote]

Oh. Well, when you play it let us know.

Online gaming on a moving bus is extremely unlikely. Even if the bus is only moving at an average 10 MPH you'll be constantly dropping and acquiring accesspoints, if there any in range. If the bus itself is supplying connectivity that is a different story but I'm not holding my breath. WiMax would make it possible but I don't see it happening on municipal bus lines any time soon. WiMax coverage all by itself won't help since the PSP doesn't speak it. A WiMax to WiFi bridging router would be needed on the bus.

More stationary venues offer some hope though. Some of the big malls have Intel sponsored hot spots. I can see crowds of PSP and DS users loitering around for reasons baffling to passersby.

I saw and touched the PSP today, at my local Gamerush.

They opened one up and were showing Spiderman 2 on it. It looked incredible!

Words can''t describe how small and elegant the PSP is, pictures in magazines just don't do it justice. I liked the feel of the analog pad and I especially like the look of the crystal sholder buttons.

All that I can say is even though the PSP is $100 more than the DS, Nintendo is in serious trouble. Nintendo could afford to be 3rd in the console race, but the PSP challange in all probablity will make Nintendo's future uncertain at best.

Just think, if Nintendo had never abandoned and ticked off Sony in the development of the "first" PlayStation (SNES CD add-on), none of this would ever have happend!

yeah this is the way I see it:

the PSP is the Viper car of the portable industy, the DS is the electic powered car... both awsome in their own way but totally different.

The only way I see that sony can pull gamers to their side of the market is to keep on streaming good and impressive stuff for the PSP... oh and dont forget to make it fun ;)

cool though CheapyD! ...though I do say... did you already pre-order, cuz it may be really hard to get on launch day. just asking...

I would get one on launch, but I'm broke....even broker than broke. Why was I so tempted to buy Haven for PS2 for $5???

NYC has verizon hotspots on almost every pay-phone in NYC. I was surfing the net constantly on my pda when I was there and never had a drop(while on the bus).

[quote name='epobirs']Online gaming on a moving bus is extremely unlikely. Even if the bus is only moving at an average 10 MPH you'll be constantly dropping and acquiring accesspoints, if there any in range. If the bus itself is supplying connectivity that is a different story but I'm not holding my breath. WiMax would make it possible but I don't see it happening on municipal bus lines any time soon. WiMax coverage all by itself won't help since the PSP doesn't speak it. A WiMax to WiFi bridging router would be needed on the bus.

More stationary venues offer some hope though. Some of the big malls have Intel sponsored hot spots. I can see crowds of PSP and DS users loitering around for reasons baffling to passersby.[/quote]

[quote name='swetooth9']how far can the PSP wireless gaming with random people stretch?[/quote]

from what I've heard I think 60-100 ft... don't know though :?

[quote name='CheapyD']I played ATV and the 989 Basketball game, two games I couldn't be less interested in, but I was impressed with them from a technical viewpoint.

The PSP has great potential, but of course, like any console, it all comes down to the games. If it is able to deliver on its promise of 4-5 ONLINE games (that don't suck) on launch, that would be a pretty sick accomplishment (online GT4 while riding the bus = :))

I'm sold and getting one at launch.[/quote]

can u please tell me if the basketball game is a good game or not please i got it sealed and my couis never4ever told me to take it back what do u think

[quote name='RelentlessRolento'][quote name='swetooth9']how far can the PSP wireless gaming with random people stretch?[/quote]

from what I've heard I think 60-100 ft... don't know though :?[/quote]

It suppose to be approximately a 100 ft.

[quote name='brokeassho']NYC has verizon hotspots on almost every pay-phone in NYC. I was surfing the net constantly on my pda when I was there and never had a drop(while on the bus).

[quote name='epobirs']Online gaming on a moving bus is extremely unlikely. Even if the bus is only moving at an average 10 MPH you'll be constantly dropping and acquiring accesspoints, if there any in range. If the bus itself is supplying connectivity that is a different story but I'm not holding my breath. WiMax would make it possible but I don't see it happening on municipal bus lines any time soon. WiMax coverage all by itself won't help since the PSP doesn't speak it. A WiMax to WiFi bridging router would be needed on the bus.

More stationary venues offer some hope though. Some of the big malls have Intel sponsored hot spots. I can see crowds of PSP and DS users loitering around for reasons baffling to passersby.[/quote][/quote]

One person's anecdotal evidence on a device that isn't a PSP is hardly compelling enough to dispute epobirs point. Keeping GT4 running online at a reasonable level is a completely different task that keeping a simple webbrowser on a PDA functional.

Verizon is advertising city wide wifi internet right now but I think you actually need to have a service contract or something.

Riding in a bus playing GT4 might be tricky but sitting in a resturant, park or mall might very well be highly probable.

[quote name='Alpha2']Verizon is advertising city wide wifi internet right now but I think you actually need to have a service contract or something.

Riding in a bus playing GT4 might be tricky but sitting in a resturant, park or mall might very well be highly probable.[/quote]

Of course. It's the transition from hotspot to hotspot that would be difficult for the machine to handle. If you're sitting in one place, you should have no problem.

I just walked 7 blocks, from 26th street to 33rd on Third Avenue in NYC.
I counted 7 PSP ads (on the back of phone booths).
No wonder I have an overwhelming urge to purchase a PSP as soon as possible.

I'll have to count on my walk to work tomorrow...I'm sure it will be over a dozen.

Actually, that probably explains my apathy...
except on the internet, I've seen/heard a grand total of ZERO ads for the PSP... this is between radio, television, newspaper, and all other sort of advertisement (roadside ads, etc.)

I dont think TV ads were slated to start untill this week but CheapyD's right I dont think there was a payphone that DIDN'T have a PSP ad on the back of it saturday.

Cheapy - How about your initial review on ATV? I played the original ATV OF to death but 2 and 3 didn't capture my attention for some reason. I watched a video of ATV on ign and the controls looked very sensitive. Who ever was playing was all over the track. Any comments on how it played?

bread's done
Back