I thOughTT we agreed to nOTT use "otta" in the title of the OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Brak']It's hard, being on the outside looking in, to say that this is the cutting mental illness. I mean, it's mental, of course... but is it voluntary or involuntary? Is she doing it for show, is it contrived... or can she truly not help it.

If her parents know about it, and it's not solved, that's their problem.[/quote]

if it's contrived, there is still pathology which drives her to attention-seeking behaviors. maybe she was abused, who knows. there is still a mental illness if she's threatening to cut herself, it just may not be depression.

[quote name='Roufuss']And Brak, there is no magic off switch that will stop her from cutting - she may not want to go the distance and kill herself, but she could accidentally cut in the wrong place, and that's it, show's over. People who cut get addicted to it, and it needs to be treated like *any* other addiction. People who obsessively drink don't usually want to die from it, but accidents happen, and sometimes people just can't stop themselves. Nobody wants to overdose on drugs, but it happens.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't implying that there was an off switch.

Furthermore, "cutters" more than often cut, or self-injure, very lightly. Their intent it to make it visible, to them or to others, as a physical manifestation of emotion... which is fucked.

Comparing cutting to drugs is ridiculous.

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']if it's contrived, there is still pathology which drives her to attention-seeking behaviors. maybe she was abused, who knows. there is still a mental illness if she's threatening to cut herself, it just may not be depression.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, because most normal people don't threaten to cut themselves, even if they were never going to follow through with it. There is something then that is a bit off, regardless of the reasoning behind it, and should be dealt with.

[quote name='Brak'] Comparing cutting to drugs is ridiculous.[/quote]
obviously you didnt pay attention in psychology class and bio class. they're both addictive behaviors most commonly associated with some sort of mental or physical trauma which causes either post traumatic stress disorder, depression or psychosis. they're both forms of self medicating.

She's never had a boyfriend. There's where some of the loneliness is derived, I imagine.

And yes, I will save this, as well as all other aim conversations.

[quote name='rabbitt']She's never had a boyfriend. There's where some of the loneliness is derived, I imagine.

And yes, I will save this, as well as all other aim conversations.[/quote]

how old is she?

[quote name='rabbitt']15...and a half.

Yep.[/quote]

i know people who are like 20 and have never had a b/f or g/f. 15 is young to be complaining about never having had a b/f. she obviously has deep self esteem and confidence issues.

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']i know people who are like 20 and have never had a b/f or g/f. 15 is young to be complaining about never having had a b/f. she obviously has deep self esteem and confidence issues.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, thats what Im thinking.

The easiest way to get rid of the cutting problem would be to find what reinforcement she gets out of it, then end that reinforcement. After that the behavior will extinguish.

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']i know people who are like 20 and have never had a b/f or g/f. 15 is young to be complaining about never having had a b/f. she obviously has deep self esteem and confidence issues.[/QUOTE]

She does. She has big self-conscious problems.

[quote name='seanr1221']Bingo, thats what Im thinking.

The easiest way to get rid of the cutting problem would be to find what reinforcement she gets out of it, then end that reinforcement. After that the behavior will extinguish.[/quote]

the problem with that is that cutting in itself is a reward because it releases massive quantities of endorphines. there are more healthy ways of getting that release. like running until you get a runners high.

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']if it's contrived, there is still pathology which drives her to attention-seeking behaviors. maybe she was abused, who knows. there is still a mental illness if she's threatening to cut herself, it just may not be depression.[/QUOTE]
That's my point: it could be any number of things.

It could be the legitimate impulsive cutting syndrome, or some form of self-destructive depression (suicide-lite).

Hence my allusion towards her parents knowing, and seemingly not enforcing anything. Maybe they know something others don't.

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']obviously you didnt pay attention in psychology class and bio class. they're both addictive behaviors most commonly associated with some sort of mental or physical trauma which causes either post traumatic stress disorder, depression or psychosis.[/quote]

Er... Wait. You do realize there are many mental illnesses in which cutting stems from, right? The traditional cutters syndrome (self-injury) to depression to postpartum to the addiction of pain (whether it be physical or mental; or for the rut sensation or the endorphins). Essentially, many of these share similar characteristics, and often hold hands.

However, some don't hold characteristics of being addicted to the direct act of cutting -- most of which do this impulsively.

Self-injury (SI, the "cutting" that mostly females commit) is an unhealthy coping mechanism, as they don't know how to deal with emotions properly. The cutting is a physical manifestation of a strong feeling in which they do not properly know how to express.

Often times, self-injury is associated with depression, bi-polar disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Now, sure; drug addiction is something you "can't control". Addictive personalities are something that's common amongst people, which hook people into habits... but you aren't inherently addicted to drugs -- mentally. Sure, there's a link between human chemistry and the (organic or synthetic) chemistry of drugs, but that's not my point.

My point is that the link between drugs and addiction, and the link between not knowing how cope with emotion and self-injury are two different processes, with two different ends to the means.

Addiction stems from drugs -- it's not a mental illness (arguably if it holds hands with compulsive behavior). Cutting stems from a mental illness, not an addiction. You just don't decide to self-mutilate -- it's a disorder. You do, however, just decide to take drugs.

Interestingly enough, often times, people who self-injure are into drugs... but that just furthers the self-destructive behavior.

On the contrary, there are people who self-mutilate, additively, for endorphins -- a natural brain chemical / hormone.

There are people addicted to "pain" in another sense, where they are addicted to gloom / rut of depression and physical pain -- Munchausen's syndrome, for instance, though vicarious.

Got back from seeing Pan's Labyrinth. It wasn't what I expected, and it was too depressing. Why did people recommend this? I mean, it's well-made, but it certainly doesn't make you feel good.

And now I feel very dizzy. The movie probably did not help either.

[quote name='Brak']Hence my allusion towards her parents knowing, and seemingly not enforcing anything. Maybe they know something others don't.

Er... Wait. You do realize there are many mental illnesses in which cutting stems from, right? T[/quote]
or, she could just have shitty parents. or, she could have parents that think "not my child". just because parents know does NOT mean things are under control and do not need to be taken more seriously. what parent really knows what their teenager is thinking/doing.

That was my whole point, no matter what the stem of the cutting is, the fact that she's treatening to cut herself shows that there is something seriously wrong and it needs to be taken seriously, not just "ignored", though the attention shouldn't be reinforcing her attention-seeking behavior.

anyways, enough talk of more emo kids. we have enough of our own on here, we don't need to be debating someone elses emo.

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']OMGZ!!11!!eleven!!

I totally want one.[/quote]
"How to build a sword-wielding, tennis-playing, WiiMote-controlled, friendly robot."

Something about the words, "Sword-wielding," and, "Friendly," that just don't seem to mix. Can't quite put my finger on it, though. :whistle2:k

[quote name='GuyWithGun']"How to build a sword-wielding, tennis-playing, WiiMote-controlled, friendly robot."

Something about the words, "Sword-wielding," and, "Friendly," that just don't seem to mix. Can't quite put my finger on it, though. :whistle2:k[/quote]
qft.

As far as this cutting girl goes...

Shes bat shit insane, like all women. At least she cuts herself instead of makes your life hell every other week with incesant nagging about shit you can't control.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Got back from seeing Pan's Labyrinth. It wasn't what I expected, and it was too depressing. Why did people recommend this? I mean, it's well-made, but it certainly doesn't make you feel good.

And now I feel very dizzy. The movie probably did not help either.[/QUOTE]The way you feel about it is up to your own interpretation, I guess. I think what she experienced was real, so it was as happy an ending as I could want. Plus, the captain's plot wrap-up was most delicious.

[quote name='Kayden']As far as this cutting girl goes...

Shes bat shit insane, like all women. At least she cuts herself instead of makes your life hell every other week with incesant nagging about shit you can't control.[/QUOTE]It's not unreasonable for a woman to want you to control your bowels.

[quote name='Kayden']As far as this cutting girl goes...

Shes bat shit insane, like all women. At least she cuts herself instead of makes your life hell every other week with incesant nagging about shit you can't control.[/quote]

what do you mean, you can't make it snow on my birthday, in AUGUST?!

[quote name='Roufuss']See you all on Tuesday / Wednesday... going to go check out a few colleges out of state and start planning a future.[/quote]

good luck roofie! have fun too. just not too much.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I think the God Warrior is back on Trading Spouses. Last time that was a Talk Soup Clip of the Week![/QUOTE] I thought she was on last week? My gf said it was disappointing.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I thought she was on last week? My gf said it was disappointing.[/QUOTE]

It's a two-parter. The god warrior was probably the most sane person of all the spouses last week. I really think she mellowed out after the last debacle. The husband that she was with (the one that she was "traded" to) was a complete asshole, and yet she retained composure nearly the whole time and wanted to work things out.

The only thing standing between me and delicious, delicious, delicious beer is 1 paragraph for this ridiculous paper (90 percent of which I completely bullshitted).

[quote name='Roufuss']See you all on Tuesday / Wednesday... going to go check out a few colleges out of state and start planning a future.[/QUOTE]

What schools are you going to check out? If you head to NC I recommend UNCW. 70 percent of those who attend are female and there is a great night life. There are certain things that suck about Wilmington like the cops and crime, but there are a lot of hot girls. Plus I am sure Moxio would approve of it because almost everyone who goes there is white ( I don't know your background, just throwing it out there as some might feel out of place if they were not white in such a white enviroment).

And I went ahead and downloaded all the lumines content.

God, this black guy on Trading Spouses is almost too disgusting to watch. He's a black supremacist nutcase who seriously needs counseling. The god warrior is doing nothing wrong and is just trying to help and he keeps ignoring her and making fun of her. She's crying and he's just laughing and saying she hasn't taken her medicine. I really feel like shutting it off.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Does anyone know an approx. value on Sega Saturn games Dragon Force and Guardian Heroes? It's hard for me to tell on ebay.[/quote]

my quick search showed $50-$75. each.

I've started putting milk on my ice cream. I like how it freezes to it, almost like a candy coating. Only ... milk. :lol: [quote name='Dead of Knight']It's a two-parter. The god warrior was probably the most sane person of all the spouses last week. I really think she mellowed out after the last debacle. The husband that she was with (the one that she was "traded" to) was a complete asshole, and yet she retained composure nearly the whole time and wanted to work things out.[/QUOTE] Ah, I see.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I've started putting milk on my ice cream. I like how it freezes to it, almost like a candy coating. Only ... milk. :lol: [/quote]

i've started putting milk in my alcohol. i like how it mixes with it, almost like a creamy drink. Only.... milk.:lol:

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']i've started putting milk in my alcohol. i like how it mixes with it, almost like a creamy drink. Only.... milk.:lol:[/quote]

Milk in.....Nesquik. Yum.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Milk in.....Nesquik. Yum.[/quote]

milk in kahlua. Yum. Add a shot of irish cream and a shot of amaretto and it tastes like rocky road ice cream.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I found out today that I've been with my gf twice as long as my parents were together, before they got married. Wow.[/quote]
dare i ask how long they were together?

and, how long after they were married were you (or your oldest sibling) born?

my parents were together on and off for almost 9 years when they got married. and somehow, they still got married. they were divorced after being together for almost 30 years. i dunno how they lasted that long. both of them are assholes. especially to eachother.

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']dare i ask how long they were together?

and, how long after they were married were you (or your oldest sibling) born?[/QUOTE] Four months from when they first went out until they were married.

I was born a year and a half after the wedding. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back