I want to get into the God of War series, but...

[quote name='Hoffer']I’m finally getting around to GoW2. I bought it the day it was released. I played it through the part when Pegasus first arrives. Then that was it. I finally decided I needed to finish the game. I played last night and this morning and the game is amazing.

To be honest, I never finished GoW1. I got pretty far into it, but got stuck. I was in this room with all these Medusas that kept killing me. I have learned since then that if you die enough times, you’re given the option to play on the less difficult setting. I’ll have to give that a try and finish on easy. [/quote]

if that was hard for you the final boss battle will kick your ass in gow 1. that was the first time in a while id ever thrown a controller over a game. i wouldnt be surprised if alot fo people havent beaten god of war 1 because of that battle since its more about luck in that one part and less about skill.

GOW2 sucks I played it already it's like GOW1 but it has a 2 at the end of it

Seriously, what the hell is up with all of this fake trolling? Do we really need to start banning people for blatant stupidity?

Cut the shit. ALL OF YOU. You know who you are.

Ah, I so want to finish this game. But I want to rip the arms off of whoever created the "Blades of Hades" level. MF. I've been stuck at this point for months now. Every few weeks I put the game back in and within a few minutes I'm frustrated to the point of throwing the game away all over again.

[quote name='lokizz']if that was hard for you the final boss battle will kick your ass in gow 1. that was the first time in a while id ever thrown a controller over a game. i wouldnt be surprised if alot fo people havent beaten god of war 1 because of that battle since its more about luck in that one part and less about skill.[/quote]

I almost destroyed a controller, but not because of the difficulty... it was because the game kept freezing nearly every time they did 'sword clash' thing.

ARGH.

I can deal with not having the skills to beat something, but when it's broken gameplay, THAT bugs the shit out of me. Though, at least they admitted that they didn't test the game the entire way through, which was the explanation for those awful Pillars of Hades or whatever they were (which, oddly, I had little problem with).

[quote name='007']I almost destroyed a controller, but not because of the difficulty... it was because the game kept freezing nearly every time they did 'sword clash' thing.

ARGH.

I can deal with not having the skills to beat something, but when it's broken gameplay, THAT bugs the shit out of me. Though, at least they admitted that they didn't test the game the entire way through, which was the explanation for those awful Pillars of Hades or whatever they were (which, oddly, I had little problem with).[/quote]

oh yeah that was a horrible board. cool to look at and i liked how you got out of it ( the whole tie in with the guy from before) but yeah i knew that game was buggy aside from that last boss battle the second part of it which is really all about luck i had the game freeze up on me during the final part of the boss battle.

that pissed me off so bad if a baby had been in my way id have kicked it lol. theyre lucky the game was so awesome because the flawed sections of that game could have easily killed it for alot of people and probably did. man i love the combos in that game though its one of the few games i could do juggling combos in.

now that i think about it with the six axis controller motion stuff itd be cool to use it to pull the head off of medusas.

[quote name='eldergamer']Ah, I so want to finish this game. But I want to rip the arms off of whoever created the "Blades of Hades" level. MF. I've been stuck at this point for months now. Every few weeks I put the game back in and within a few minutes I'm frustrated to the point of throwing the game away all over again.[/quote]

i got through that by speeding through it. i wont bullshit you and say it was skill or timing i tried to read the patterns but at diff times it just didnt match up so id burn through it , take a few hits and i finally got to the top.

[quote name='eldergamer']Ah, I so want to finish this game. But I want to rip the arms off of whoever created the "Blades of Hades" level. MF. I've been stuck at this point for months now. Every few weeks I put the game back in and within a few minutes I'm frustrated to the point of throwing the game away all over again.[/quote]

everyone mentioned that part in reviews, but it didn't take that much time for me. not like it was a matter of skill; i think i just got lucky and managed to speed through it within the first handful of tries. now the SECOND time i played through the game, it was like knowing it was supposed to be a huge obstacle made it exponentially harder.

maybe I'm just going to slow then. It seems like each time I fall off the narrow walkways I get hit (which is instant death). Or I manage to climb back up only an instant before the blades come along. ( I try to jump over, miss, get hit. Instant death again)

[quote name='eldergamer']maybe I'm just going to slow then. It seems like each time I fall off the narrow walkways I get hit (which is instant death). Or I manage to climb back up only an instant before the blades come along. ( I try to jump over, miss, get hit. Instant death again)[/quote]

I didn't have such a problem with them, I even got all the chests.

And believe me I'm not a vg wunderkid - I quit the DMC series because it was too hard for me.

Jumping around helped me - I think it also helps if you lose the sweaty palms and "get in the zone"

[quote name='Autumn Star']Can someone enlighten me as to what the Blades of Hades are?[/quote]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3FOI6c5hkcQ

theres alot more to it than that but that gives you a slight view of how it looks. its pretty brutal especially if like me you have to get all the chests. that world had an awesome boss battle.

I'm having some problems in GOW2 in the room where the fire is coming down the whole room every 10 seconds of so and you have to push a statue through the room to block the fire. Meanwhile damn enemies keep coming and messing with me as I push the statue. Not to mention trying to open doors to get chests with the whole fire/enemy issue. What a frustrating room.

Whats funny is I got through the Blades of Hades room like my third try and I know that room is harder. Go figure.

[quote name='addicted2games']I'm having some problems in GOW2 in the room where the fire is coming down the whole room every 10 seconds of so and you have to push a statue through the room to block the fire. Meanwhile damn enemies keep coming and messing with me as I push the statue. Not to mention trying to open doors to get chests with the whole fire/enemy issue. What a frustrating room.

Whats funny is I got through the Blades of Hades room like my third try and I know that room is harder. Go figure.[/quote]

that room sucks bigtime.
i did it by using chronos rage/ drop a few of those so you can move the statue up quickly and then over to the right to get the chests. then do the same to get to the left. . save the 2 chests at the beginning if you dont need them because theyre good to go back for.

i think from there you have to move the statue in from of the crank handle dealy to make that hook drop and from there id say drop a shit load of chronos and make a run for the hook to get out of the room asap. you need to time it so the fire wont hit you and dont bother fighting use the rage to stop all enemies and just make a run for it cause if you wait too long the hook will move out of range.

the main thing to remember is the statue is there to protect you and it will but dont waste time trying to fight off enemies when a chronos rage can hold them back long enough so you can make a run for it.

i hope that helps.

[quote name='Autumn Star']Thanks for all of the advice guys, I eventually sucked it up and bought the first one so I can play them in order. I do love it so far, but there are a few things that I don't like about it.
For instance, some of the puzzles (especially the one I'm stuck on) are more about getting things perfect, than about strategy or actual problem solving.
Also, I do have it in progessive, but since I'm playing it on my PS3, it looks stretched out, but I can definitely tell the graphics, especially the CGI, must have been pretty damn good at the time.
Though, now I can't wait for the second one to see what things were improved on. If it really makes it that much better. I also can't wait for the third one and I hope it will be in 1080p because, well, that would look godly (no pun intended).[/quote]

You can set progressive scan/widescreen in the game options. Setting widescreen correctly should fix the stretched out look.

[quote name='lokizz']http://youtube.com/watch?v=3FOI6c5hkcQ

theres alot more to it than that but that gives you a slight view of how it looks. its pretty brutal especially if like me you have to get all the chests. that world had an awesome boss battle.[/quote]

Kratos looks like a fruitcake in this clip, I half expected the background music to be the Smurfs theme.

[quote name='camoor']Kratos looks like a fruitcake in this clip, I half expected the background music to be the Smurfs theme.[/quote]

lol its a tough level though espeially because of the damn centaurs. theyre tough to beat when you first meet them and theres so damn many of them. if i didnt think theyd release god on the psp on the ps2 id get psp just to play it and some of he other psp games. that gow bundle sounds like a good deal.

[quote name='lokizz']that room sucks bigtime.
i did it by using chronos rage/ drop a few of those so you can move the statue up quickly and then over to the right to get the chests. then do the same to get to the left. . save the 2 chests at the beginning if you dont need them because theyre good to go back for.

i think from there you have to move the statue in from of the crank handle dealy to make that hook drop and from there id say drop a shit load of chronos and make a run for the hook to get out of the room asap. you need to time it so the fire wont hit you and dont bother fighting use the rage to stop all enemies and just make a run for it cause if you wait too long the hook will move out of range.

the main thing to remember is the statue is there to protect you and it will but dont waste time trying to fight off enemies when a chronos rage can hold them back long enough so you can make a run for it.

i hope that helps.[/QUOTE]
Hey THANKS so much for the info. I finally got past that room. That Kraken (sp) boss was cool as shit. I love this game and know that the end is near. But I got Chains of Olympus to look forward to. :)

This is where we stopped. We just recently - about a month ago - decided to play GOW2. No GOW1 experience. We started Saturday morning around 9am. After much coffee and food and then beer, it was like 6pm and we are in this room. We have yet to turn the game back on. But once we have time, I would like to finish it.

Certainly a fun day.

[quote name='addicted2games']I'm having some problems in GOW2 in the room where the fire is coming down the whole room every 10 seconds of so and you have to push a statue through the room to block the fire. Meanwhile damn enemies keep coming and messing with me as I push the statue. Not to mention trying to open doors to get chests with the whole fire/enemy issue. What a frustrating room.

Whats funny is I got through the Blades of Hades room like my third try and I know that room is harder. Go figure.[/quote]

[quote name='Autumn Star']Why were the Blades of Hades so hard again...?
I just played that part without even dying.[/quote]

I think it really depends on your exposure - after the POP games this room was not too hard for me.

I loved the music in the first one. For me it was such a "turn off your brain" and just interact with some bad ass manly action experience. Much like after watching 300, I wanted to go out and do battle afterwards. :D

Fools. GoW2 was a letdown. I personally hate DMC (i tried the series after GoW, maybe that's why?) but i LOVED GoW. Go with the first, then the second. You can't play games out of order. Would you play Half-Life 2 first, then Half-Life? I think not.

I own God of War 1, 2, and Chains of Olympus and have never played any of them. Before I get started on this series, I have a question: Since Olympus is a prequel, should I play that one first, or take them in the order that they were released?

bread's done
Back