I want to get into the God of War series, but...

Depends on how important the story element to you. GoW has a decent storyline, but the games can be enjoyed without it. I nearly beat the second one before I played the first one, just because I didn't have access to a copy. There are some story spoilers, obviously, but I didn't really mind going back to the original after playing through the second one.

If you want the better gameplay (imo), get the second. It's a more polished/refined/honed effort in just about every way over the first title.

If price is a huge factor, though, get the first. Can probably find it at pretty low prices at this point. GoW 2 should hopefully fall in price soon, as well, so then maybe you'll be able to afford both =].

I am just now playing the GOW series. I beat the first one and now am about half way through the 2nd one. Awesome games! I love the story, the gore, the action. The bosses and scenery especially in part two are killer. Cant wait for Chains of Olympus and the inevitable part 3 on PS3.

OP, play them in order.

God of War 2 is superior to the first in every way possible, and it also recaps alot of the events from the first one. If you only have the money to get one and it's going to be while before you play the other, I'd suggest God of War 2. Keep in mind that if you do that, you'll be going back to the weaker game afterwards.

When I bought the first one I couldn't put it down. The combat isn't particularly deep but it's hella fun. I never played through the entire second game but from what I played it was good.

I got bored of the first one really quickly, it's like DMC only slow and less conscious of how cheesy it is. So I'd say get the second since I haven't played it.

[quote name='zewone']1 is terrible.

2 is amazing.[/quote]
Damn you! If you had an avatar from any other game, I could disregard your opinion! But now I have to get GOWII.

If it sucks, it's on your head.

[quote name='bardockkun']First one, the ending to the second one...bleh. Just made GoW2 feel like God of War 1.5[/quote]
God of War II felt like God of War II to me and not God of War 1.5. Why are you complaining about the end of the game. When it was obviously a good idea to keep us in suspense and anticipating the arrival of GOW 3. The way Pt. 1 ended, it seemed like the story was over, giving you no expectation of a continuation, until the beginning of Pt. 2. Pt. 2 on the other hand ended with you saying "Wow!, I can't wait until Pt. 3", at that point you know that there will be a sequel, unlike the first.

Anyway, the way the 2 games flow, I would say start at the beginning. Unlike other games that has sequels, this one should be played out in order. If this was the DMC series or Onimusha series, then it wouldn't matter, because they don't flow together, all different stories. And by no stretch of the imagination is DMC or Onimusha better than either of the God of War games. (IMO)

Now as far as God of War 1 being awful and God of War 2 being awesome. God of War 2 is indeed an awesome game. In fact, it is better than God of War 1. But isn't that what alot of developers set out to accomplish but often fail. God of War 1 was an awesome game. The only thing it was guilty of, was being trumped by it's successor. Before God of War 2 came out, people were singing the praises of God of War 1. As soon as they played Pt. 2, they soon forgot how great a game Pt. 1 was. Sony simply took a great game and made it better by improving on what was already awesome gameplay and unfolding the story unlike nothing we've ever seen. I am a true gamer. I own every system and have over 1000 games, with a back log that would make you cry or slap your mother, or both! But these 2 games were 2 of few that I started and finished without playing any other games in between and without interruption. Action packed from the very begining to the end. Start with 1, but don't forget about 2!.

[quote name='zewone']1 is terrible.

2 is amazing.[/quote]
You are a fool for saying something like that. God of War was not terrible. God of War 2 was just better. God of War got no lower than a 9 out of 10 in most rankings. You got to be kidding me. See this is what happens when you play games out of order. You play a game from a series that has been improved upon and then go back and play the first one. Then you make an ass-backwards statement, because you did something ass-backwards.

Listen OP, play the first one first. That will make you appreciate the second one even more, and them both for what they really are. Not to mention you will be able to follow the events of the series better and understand the story.

I played the first one in it's first week of release.

It sucked, in my opinion.

The second one on the other hand was great, drew me in right away and I didn't want it to stop.

You should assume less, ass.

[quote name='ricoraney']You are a fool for saying something like that. God of War was not terrible. God of War 2 was just better. God of War got no lower than a 9 out of 10 in most rankings. You got to be kidding me. See this is what happens when you play games out of order. You play a game from a series that has been improved upon and then go back and play the first one. Then you make an ass-backwards statement, because you did something ass-backwards.

Listen OP, play the first one first. That will make you appreciate the second one even more, and them both for what they really are. Not to mention you will be able to follow the events of the series better and understand the story.[/quote]
While I don't think it was terrible, I also don't think it was worth playing. The combat was uninspired and monotonous, the puzzles were more about doing something perfectly than about thinking, and the level design felt a decade old.

The graphics were pretty, the boss battles were admittedly fantastic, and the deathblow system was a good idea, but the game was far from great. I forget who said it, but I read something great in the No More Heroes thread: "God of War was a video game trying to be a movie." I think it was only well-received because of its budget and the epic scale of its story, two things which really shouldn't matter in a game.

Also, where did zewone say he played them out of order?

[quote name='tankexmortis']While I don't think it was terrible, I also don't think it was worth playing. The combat was uninspired and monotonous, the puzzles were more about doing something perfectly than about thinking, and the level design felt a decade old.

The graphics were pretty, the boss battles were admittedly fantastic, and the deathblow system was a good idea, but the game was far from great. I forget who said it, but I read something great in the No More Heroes thread: "God of War was a video game trying to be a movie." I think it was only well-received because of its budget and the epic scale of its story, two things which really shouldn't matter in a game.

Also, where did zewone say he played them out of order?[/quote]

I pretty much agree with everything you said about the first one. I liked the art design, but outside of that I didn't really enjoy the game; is the regular combat in the second one improved?

neither, spend you money on a game that will last you longer than 8 hours

I would rent both these games as you can beat each one over a weekend.

I would play the first one, yeah it is lacking some of the refinement found in the second game, but it is still a great play. You will learn more about Kratos, and how he is in his current situation from the first game, or online searching.

Both games are really good, and if you get the chance to play both of them, definately do it. Check some of the CAG lists to see who has the games, and offer any trades you may have for them. Also, keep an eye out for when something like gamefly is doing a promo, or Goozex. Do you have a friend who has it, who would let you borrow it if he (or she) is not playing it currently. Dare I even suggest renting the titles.

There are several ways to experience these games, owning them may be a little more expensive, but more than likely you might not play them more than once through anyway.

Play them both -- both excellent games. GoW2 is on my top ten of all time list. It's just gorgeous and a lot of fun to play. The first boss might be my favorite of all time. Of course, I played this on a 70" hi-def TV :D

The cut scenes are so good and of such high quality that I would actually look forward to them. IMO, far better than anything in that pile of shit "300" movie.

Plus, if you like Clash of the Titans, there is a very cool cameo that you will discover.

This is a series that you can play in any order. Obviously, start with the first one if you can because there are some fairly major spoilers. But, it works pretty well in reverse too (my friend played in reverse and was still surprised at a few of the backstory moments.)

Try and play them in progressive too.. big difference.

[quote name='tankexmortis']Damn you! If you had an avatar from any other game, I could disregard your opinion! But now I have to get GOWII.

If it sucks, it's on your head.[/quote]
I thought I was stupid for buying (now renting) games based on reviews.

Is that a retard tree in your avatar? You must've hit every branch on the way down.

theres a good chance this game could get the 2 or 3 disk bonus set treeatment someday ( especially if they bring out the psp game on the ps2) . but like some of them have said you definetly need to play the first game first and the second game last. the ending to the second game is kind of annoying but the story and characters are awesome especially if you love greek mythology like i do and old movies.

this is one of the few game series that the developers actually fixed all of the probelms of the first and added tons of new stuff. you will get your ass handed to you and you will want to play the game on the hardest level. my only complaint about the series is that it ends so fast. and i dont know if its because the game is short or because you cant put it down so you blow through it so quick. definelty worth owning them both which i do and i play them both every now and again just because of the action and amazing fights.

oh yeah one other complaint i have is with a weapon in the game
you should have been able to earn that ice spear instead of that lame purple spear and id love to know why you had to get the one over the other.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Play them both -- both excellent games. GoW2 is on my top ten of all time list. It's just gorgeous and a lot of fun to play. The first boss might be my favorite of all time. Of course, I played this on a 70" hi-def TV :D

The cut scenes are so good and of such high quality that I would actually look forward to them. IMO, far better than anything in that pile of shit "300" movie.

Plus, if you like Clash of the Titans, there is a very cool cameo that you will discover.

This is a series that you can play in any order. Obviously, start with the first one if you can because there are some fairly major spoilers. But, it works pretty well in reverse too (my friend played in reverse and was still surprised at a few of the backstory moments.)

Try and play them in progressive too.. big difference.[/quote]

yeah that cameo was the shit hands down i was excited that they got him to do it added alot to the game especially if youre a fan of the film and made it that much better when you kill him. too bad that annoying wife of his wasnt in the game as well but eh. too bad the main enemy from that movie wasnt in the game either.

[quote name='bardockkun']First one, the ending to the second one...bleh. Just made GoW2 feel like God of War 1.5[/quote]

Actually, if for nothing, it made me feel as if they were whoring out the PS3 to suckers who want to be able to 'finish off the trilogy'. If you ask me, that's a shady way to goad people into getting a PS3. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first two games, but I made the mistake of buying a PS2 last gen at full price for 'just one game'(GTA III). I'm not making that mistake 2 gens in a row, that's for sure.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, if for nothing, it made me feel as if they were whoring out the PS3 to suckers who want to be able to 'finish off the trilogy'. If you ask me, that's a shady way to goad people into getting a PS3. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first two games, but I made the mistake of buying a PS2 last gen at full price for 'just one game'(GTA III). I'm not making that mistake 2 gens in a row, that's for sure.[/quote]

amen on that one i got suckered in by buying a dreamcast when it first launched and i bought a ps2 when it first launched but luckily i was able to sell it to someone after a week or 2 of no good games on it.

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I eventually sucked it up and bought the first one so I can play them in order. I do love it so far, but there are a few things that I don't like about it.
For instance, some of the puzzles (especially the one I'm stuck on) are more about getting things perfect, than about strategy or actual problem solving.
Also, I do have it in progessive, but since I'm playing it on my PS3, it looks stretched out, but I can definitely tell the graphics, especially the CGI, must have been pretty damn good at the time.
Though, now I can't wait for the second one to see what things were improved on. If it really makes it that much better. I also can't wait for the third one and I hope it will be in 1080p because, well, that would look godly (no pun intended).

Man.

I somewhat liked the original God of War right up to a certain point the game where you have to do... something very very unnerving to me.

Sacrificing the soldier who is begging and pleading for his life. I just couldn't do it. I turned off the game, and put it on the shelf.

I've always wondered if God of War II had moments like that. If it doesn't, I should probably pick it up.

[quote name='Gourd']Man.

I somewhat liked the original God of War right up to a certain point the game where you have to do... something very very unnerving to me.

Sacrificing the soldier who is begging and pleading for his life. I just couldn't do it. I turned off the game, and put it on the shelf.

I've always wondered if God of War II had moments like that. If it doesn't, I should probably pick it up.[/quote]
THAT'S EXACTLY THE PART I'M STUCK AT!! Except, you know, it's more of a skill issue with me.

[quote name='Gourd']Man.

I've always wondered if God of War II had moments like that. If it doesn't, I should probably pick it up.[/QUOTE]

It has similar events, so beware.

[quote name='Gourd']Man.

I've always wondered if God of War II had moments like that. If it doesn't, I should probably pick it up.[/quote]

Yes there is, in God Of War II you have to:

You have to break Promethius free from the chains that bind him and he drops into a fire pit and burns to a cinder.

So yeah, there is something like that in this game too.

Ah well.

If only The Wife played games like this. She wouldn't even hesitate during portions like that.

[quote name='Autumn Star']THAT'S EXACTLY THE PART I'M STUCK AT!! Except, you know, it's more of a skill issue with me.[/quote]

dont forget to use that charge kick and the medusa skill i think and you should beat it fairly quickly. i loved that part of the game thats some of the stuff in god of war that adds another level of depth to the character.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yes there is, in God Of War II you have to:

You have to break Promethius free from the chains that bind him and he drops into a fire pit and burns to a cinder.

So yeah, there is something like that in this game too.[/QUOTE]
There another event besides that later in the game.

[quote name='lokizz']dont forget to use that charge kick and the medusa skill i think and you should beat it fairly quickly. i loved that part of the game thats some of the stuff in god of war that adds another level of depth to the character.[/quote]
I never thought of using the medusa technique, nor the charge kick (since I usually just grab it and carry it the whole way). Thanks.

[quote name='Gourd']Man.

Guess what? It does! I won't tell you exactly what it is, but it does have something very similiar to that part.

[quote name='zewone']I played the first one in it's first week of release.

It sucked, in my opinion.

The second one on the other hand was great, drew me in right away and I didn't want it to stop.

You should assume less, ass.[/QUOTE]
You suck! And that is obvious for you to say that about a game that, however was not perfect, but did more things right than wrong. Everyday gamers from Gamefaqs.com gave it an average score of 8.75. Gamerankings has it at 93.3%. Superass!

[quote name='Gourd']Man.

I can see how you found it unnerving. In that case I would recommend:
acclaim-mary-kate-&-ashley-sweet-16-licensed-to-drive-gba.jpg

[quote name='GonzoGamer']I thought I was stupid for buying (now renting) games based on reviews.

Is that a retard tree in your avatar? You must've hit every branch on the way down.[/quote]
Wow. You must be a popular dude.

I’m finally getting around to GoW2. I bought it the day it was released. I played it through the part when Pegasus first arrives. Then that was it. I finally decided I needed to finish the game. I played last night and this morning and the game is amazing.

To be honest, I never finished GoW1. I got pretty far into it, but got stuck. I was in this room with all these Medusas that kept killing me. I have learned since then that if you die enough times, you’re given the option to play on the less difficult setting. I’ll have to give that a try and finish on easy.

bread's done
Back