I want your older PC games &/or knowledge & suggestions

supadupacheap

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Ok. So my ultra cheapass finally upgraded to a PC built in this millenium. Now Id like to catch up on a few good games/titles that I might have missed. The PC is

P4 3.0 ghz
512MB ddr2 ram
x300se video card

Now the point of this exercise is to spend next to nil, come away with great games, and cut down on the giant hole in my PC gaming library from 2000-2005.

A few thoughts:
Not much into FPS. If I missed a life changing title, ok, Ill bite. But any FPS is gonna have an uphill climb with me.
Sports = probably not but try if you think I should play something.
Love strategy. Probably going to be the bulk of my purchases.
Nothing online. Hate fees and am probably going to drop my hi speed soon.
Open to anything if you make a good case for it, just has to be cheap and good.

Games I played a ton back in the day:
C&C,Tiberium Sun,Red Alert
Age of Empires
Superbike 2001 (a gem of a game. Everyone should play it)

What I think I want so far:

Rise of Nations
Command and Conquer Generals (pending in from Lord Z)
Morrowind (pending in from the M.O.T.)
Sid Meier's Pirates!

A USB PC controller

So thats where I am currently. Feel free to offer whatever you have in your collection thats just gathering dust and you could part with for a few bucks (if its good) or just post games that I really missed out on and should make a point of going back and playing.

Do you have most of the other Sid Meier's games? Alpa Centuri is pretty good and I think Civ 3 came out during that time. Also Disciples 2 is pretty good.

I'm a big FPS fan but I'll refrain from suggesting any.

Here's a few I've liked
Myth 1, 2, & 3
Alice
Black And White
Dungeon Keeper 2
Interstate '76
Fallout 1/2

That's about it

P.S. If you are willing to try a FPS, play Half-Life

[quote name='zionoverfire']Do you have most of the other Sid Meier's games? Alpa Centuri is pretty good and I think Civ 3 came out during that time. Also Disciples 2 is pretty good.[/QUOTE]

I have nada bro. Nada. Basically when my PC got too old to game, I flipped back to the consoles because they were cheaper and my circle of friends didnt do the PC thing much.

[quote name='peteloaf']I'm a big FPS fan but I'll refrain from suggesting any.
P.S. If you are willing to try a FPS, play Half-Life[/QUOTE]

Nobody fear mentioning an FPS. Ill give a great one a try. What I didnt want to see was 10 FPS'es. One or two would be about all I could really play. (since its not my genre)

[quote name='daroga']I've got some PC games on my TL. Feel free to check it out and let me know if you're interested.

daroga[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer but... to me they are just titles. If you want to pitch a few of them to me, feel free. Otherwise, Ill have no idea what Im looking at.

[quote name='supadupacheap']I have nada bro. Nada. Basically when my PC got too old to game, I flipped back to the consoles because they were cheaper and my circle of friends didnt do the PC thing much.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, luckily sid meier games play on just about anything. I'd suggest taking a look at: Sid meier's alpha centuri and civ 4, extremely cheap online, typically take of the world strategy. Disciples 2 is also a newer favorite of mine, it's similar to heroes of might and magic if you've ever played that.

In fact I can probably get you the disks for Disciples 2 and Command and conquer generals for shipping costs.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Thanks for the offer but... to me they are just titles. If you want to pitch a few of them to me, feel free. Otherwise, Ill have no idea what Im looking at.[/QUOTE]

Actually, come to think of it, most of my PC games are available on consoles either as ports or the portees.

Tribes 2 is a very mediocrew FPS, which you of course want a ton of ;)

Unreal 2 isn't bad as a story line FPS, though you have to get ahold of Half-Life 2. That IS an FPS you can't miss.

If you want Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (sealed), Dead to Rights, or Simpsons Hit & Run PC ports, let me know.

I'm not offering mine, but I'd also highly recommened Simcity 4 & Expansion.

daroga

[quote name='zionoverfire']I did the same thing, luckily sid meier games play on just about anything. I'd suggest taking a look at: Sid meier's alpha centuri and civ 4, extremely cheap online, typically take of the world strategy. Disciples 2 is also a newer favorite of mine, it's similar to heroes of might and magic if you've ever played that.[/QUOTE]

Multi pronged attack, GO!

Alpha and Civ 4, tell me more.

Disciples 2. Not played M&M so have no idea of what D2 is.

[quote name='zionoverfire']In fact I can probably get you the disks for Disciples 2 and Command and conquer generals for shipping costs.[/QUOTE]
Would love to try out Generals as Id still play RAlert for hours on end if I could find my discs. Keep me posted on if you find 'em. Id love a crack at it.

Dont misunderstand. Id love to play the Doom3/HL2's of the world but I realize Id be selling myself short using the system as it is. Once the new cards cause a drop in old(er) card prices, Ill upgrade. Since Im not dying to play any of the current heavy hitters, I can easily wait until then.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Multi pronged attack, GO!

Alpha and Civ 4, tell me more.

Disciples 2. Not played M&M so have no idea of what D2 is.

Would love to try out Generals as Id still play RAlert for hours on end if I could find my discs. Keep me posted on if you find 'em. Id love a crack at it.[/QUOTE]

Civ 4 isn't out yet, civ 3 and alpha basically allow you to control a civilization and all it's towns, technology, growth and military strength. You expand and conquer the world, the neat thing is that especially in alpah you don't have to kill everyone to win. Winning can be by economic domination, treaties, becoming leader of the UN, defeating all your enemies and a few other secret ways.

Disciples 2 gives you a map where you move small groups around and conquer towns to produce additional untis are resources.

I just found generals and I have a spare copy of disciples 2 (one of the expansion packs came with a copy). Since they aren't worth a great deal I can ship games + cases for $4.

Oh and if you really like red alert I might possibly have an extra copy of command and conquer 2 and red alert 2 also laying around.

[quote name='evilmregg']I have a quite a few PC games on my trade list if you want to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Ive already seen your list and a lot of others. I dont understand what Im looking at. The point is I know NOTHING of what is out there/what I missed. Whatever you guys put in the thread will be my entire collective knowledge about any game you suggest. The more info, the better.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I just found generals and I have a spare copy of disciples 2 (one of the expansion packs came with a copy). Since they aren't worth a great deal I can ship games + cases for $4.

Oh and if you really like red alert I might possibly have an extra copy of command and conquer 2 and red alert 2 also laying around.[/QUOTE]

You haveth a PM.

If you want a PC controller, I'd suggest going to Radio Shack - they've got USB adapters for Playstation controllers, they work great. Ten bucks'll get you set up.

[quote name='swick']If you want a PC controller, I'd suggest going to Radio Shack - they've got USB adapters for Playstation controllers, they work great. Ten bucks'll get you set up.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, no PS2 controller anymore. Just the Xbox one. I had thought about an adapter though but I think I prefer an actual PC pad for some reason. Just better software and support it would seem like.

All PC pads are terrible. Your money is much better spent on a PS2 (or a PSX if you find them) pad and a USB adapter.

daroga

See that avatar of mine? It's a crime if you've never played Worms Armageddon or Worms World Party

Plus, the system requirements are rediculously low to play.

[quote name='Skylander7']See that avatar of mine? It's a crime if you've never played Worms Armageddon or Worms World Party

Plus, the system requirements are rediculously low to play.[/QUOTE]

Im sure there are many games that its a crime I havent played. Thats the whole point of my thread. :D

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Couple of suggestions:
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Diablo 2
Starcraft

These are still pretty fun games and they can generally be found on the cheap![/QUOTE]

RCT - Looked childish. Maybe not.
Diablo 2 - heard good things

Starcraft - seems like the Halo of PC games. Some seriously dedicated people. Is it THAT good that its as good or better than more current games?

the first rollercoaster tycoon game and it's expansions are awesome...not childish at all

the 2d worms games are excellent

[quote name='CappyCobra']You missed the motherload by 7 months.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29529
Maybe, they'll repeat it this year. Here's hoping[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember that. Didnt bother with it because my EBs dont carry product very long (so most of that would be gone) and I had a p3 500mhz at the time. A few of those do make me wish I had bought a PC sooner.

Im kinda surprised at the lack of offers so far. PC stuff seems to have almost zero resell value, especially 2 and 3 years later. I thought Id bump into a few people looking to clear some space/get a few bucks off of something thats just gathering dust. Darn CAGs cant let anything go. :lol:

If you can get ahold of them, try Leisure Suit Larry Pleasure Pack, the Wing Commander series, Clive Barker's Undying, and if you're into flight sims (pretty much dead genre, but I still love em) Jane's USAF and WW II fighters. Those are all old/ancient games, but good ones.

Of course, Warcraft and Starcraft go without saying

Edit: Oh yeah, and of course Deus Ex. If you haven't played it, go pick it up cheapass style ASAP!!

Tropico series
No One Lives Forever 1-2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Planescape:Torment(probably could of ran on your old pc)
Grim Fandango(same thing)
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy
Kotor 1-2
Call of Duty
Worms Series
Serious Sam: SE
Undying
Homeworld 1-2
Ironstorm
Baldur's Gate Series
Ghostmaster
Mafia

My recommendations. :)

[quote name='supadupacheap']RCT - Looked childish. Maybe not.
Diablo 2 - heard good things

Starcraft - seems like the Halo of PC games. Some seriously dedicated people. Is it THAT good that its as good or better than more current games?[/QUOTE]

It revolutionized the RTS genre. This game and Half Life is why 1998 is considered the best year for the PC ever.

you'd be a fool if you didn't try the Thief series. Grim Fandango is great too. So is Stupid Invaders, and its probably easier to control than the dreacast version I have.

As someone already pointed out, Mafia and NOLF 2 are really really good games and both worth it seeing as how cheap they are. Mafia is a third person shooter set in the 30's and has a great gangster vibe. NOLF 2 is probably the funniest FPS I have ever played and the game is just bliss.

you should also check out Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Its an online FPS that is FREE and is a really great game. Something that might open your eyes on how great online gaming can be

Also, pretty much only MMO's have fees and most have free online play.

if the deals you have on the current games you have pendign in fall through, PM me and I can give you a good package deal on some of the RTS and RPG games I have

All PC pads are terrible. Your money is much better spent on a PS2 (or a PSX if you find them) pad and a USB adapter.

I recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826127209

Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 USB - Retail

I have a the Logitech Cordless RumblePad 1 - I prefer the 6 face buttons for Street Fighter, etc. Very good PC controller IMO. In fact I liked it so much that I bought a replacement when I found my first one in the closet - some batteries exploded, bye bye controller. :( So I bought the identical pad again.

Do you like Turn Based Strategy? Or just Real Time Strategy?

If you like TBS you should also try Age of Wonders II. I personally only played the first one but it was good, kind of like a light version of Master of Magic from back in the day. Civ 3 is worth checking out (personally I didn't like it that much, I like Civ 2) but Civ 4 comes out in a few months. :D I also like Heroes of Might and Magic 3...HOMM4 came out but I think 3 was just as good.

Metacritic score for AoW II is an 86:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/ageofwonders2thewidzardsthrone

Get half life 2 and play all those games multiplayer on steam , NO FEES , you will have the most fun ever trust me !

[quote name='supadupacheap']

Would love to try out Generals as Id still play RAlert for hours on end if I could find my discs. Keep me posted on if you find 'em. Id love a crack at it.[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but I think I got Red Alert recently budnled with something else... PM or email me (to remind) me and I'll see if I can find it. If so, it's yours.

Full Throttle and Grim Fandango were great games.

Starcraft was very addictive, same with the Sims...played both of those for hours on end.

I'm a big strategy PC gamer.

Some recs:

Rome: Total War (my personal favorite of all time)
Medieval: Total War (still worth getting even if you also get Rome: Total War)
Shogun: Total War (if you like the other two, might as well get the whole series)
Warcraft III
Civilization III
Age of Empires II
Age of Mythology
Heroes of Might and Magic III (IV is good too, but I like III more)
Imperialism II
Sacrifice
Xcom (really old, can get as abandonware but it's a classic)
Master of Magic (ditto)

Also for RPG's, the Baldur's Gate series are classics that any RPG lover can't miss.

[quote name='dopa345']I'm a big strategy PC gamer.

Some recs:

Rome: Total War (my personal favorite of all time)
Medieval: Total War (still worth getting even if you also get Rome: Total War)
Shogun: Total War (if you like the other two, might as well get the whole series)
Warcraft III
Civilization III
Age of Empires II
Age of Mythology
Heroes of Might and Magic III (IV is good too, but I like III more)
Imperialism II
Sacrifice
Xcom (really old, can get as abandonware but it's a classic)
Master of Magic (ditto)

Also for RPG's, the Baldur's Gate series are classics that any RPG lover can't miss.[/QUOTE]

Dopa tested. Dupa approved. *bump*

Darn, fell off the front page and no new thoughts/ideas since I last checked. Hopefully theres some more people with opinions and ideas out there.,

Bump

I'm selling loads of old PC games on ebay, under my wife's ID rainypetal. I'm selling them in bundles of two or three, and there are descriptions of each game on each auction. There are only six bundles up there so far, but I'll be adding loads more over the coming week, including the Half-Life Generation Pack.

[quote name='PaulEMoz']I'm selling loads of old PC games on ebay, under my wife's ID rainypetal. I'm selling them in bundles of two or three, and there are descriptions of each game on each auction. There are only six bundles up there so far, but I'll be adding loads more over the coming week, including the Half-Life Generation Pack.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer. Nothing really grabbed me that you had.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Thanks for the offer. Nothing really grabbed me that you had.[/QUOTE]

Keep checking. I've got nearly 100 more games going up in the next week or so. :)

Moved to the PC forum because the thread is more about getting you guys input and advice about what to look for than actually looking for a deal (will consider it, of course, but I want everybody to add something even if they have nothing currently for sale)

I jsut started really playing PC games

Icewind Dale 1+2 - awesome RPGs
Warhammer 40,000 - best RTS I have ever played
GTA:SA - is great on PC
Half Life 2 - Counter Strike - is always fun
Neverwinter Nights - is a pretty good RPG
Freedom Force - Such a Great Game is like a RPG/RTS
Guild Wars - is a great Online RPG with no fee after you buy the game, alot of us here play that game

bread's done
Back