I would like to thank the CAG that...

[quote name='Ecofreak']I'm all about the M3 myself.

How do you all extend the life of your blade/get the closest shave?

I do the following "extra" steps and it works great

1. Wash face in boiling water
2. Dunk blade in said water
3. Wipe off blade since water left on them wears them down faster.

I have to shave every 2-3 days and manage to get about 2-3 weeks worth of use out of one blade when doing the above.

If only I could permenantly get ride of this awful facial hair...[/quote]

From what I understand and did shortly before I went to electric is rubbing alcohol. Leave the blade in that when not in use.

The cream is actually what warps the razor and causes it to become "dull".

It worked well for me until I jumped ship. Although at that time the Mach 3 was golden.

[quote name='vherub']thread on shaving, solid

when i first started shaving, i used whatever my dad had (disposable bics, sometimes an electric razor, gilette shaving cream), and eventually migrated to the mach 3 when it came out a few years ago...and things were ok, shaving was always a chore though, and my shave, while ok, was never exceptional- plus blades cost $$$

so what else is out there?

there are straight razors, you know when you go to a barber, not a fancy ladies salon, but a guy's oldtime barbershop, that's the straight razor- a bit intimidating to try after the relative safety of the mach3

the other option is the double edge razor, and this is a mechanical thing of beauty, we're talking high end german craftmanship (gilette abandoned the market in favor of the more lucrative disposables), and platinum coated stainless steel blades that cost a fraction of the mach 3 blades (under $.50 each, often much less) and they last longer. You drop the blade (picture a razor from a high school science class but better) into the butterfly opening and shave away. it's an entirely different (and imo opinion, better) experience.

But why stop there, besides improving the device, one can drastically improve the other components. Gel or shaving foam from a can? Not only is there a less expensive option, but a more relaxing option that is better for one's skin, provides a closer shave and is overall just more fun to use. A shaving brush and a tub of shaving cream. You work up a lather in a shaving bowl with some hot water that puts cream or gel from a can to shame, and this stuff lasts far longer than the can as it needs far less to work up the lather. Then the shaving brush, or badger as it is made from the hairs of the badger's neck, is used to apply the shaving cream.

This is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of all kinds of additonal levels to better the shaving process, but i am getting long in the wind. i have found that it transforms my shaving experience from mundane, everday drudgery that i would often dread or avoid into an enjoyable practice that makes my skin look healthier, is cheaper, relaxing and overall more masculine of an experience than using a process that is basically identical to how ladies shave their legs.

I also got my free quattro blade, thanks op, but after a single use, you can put more blades on, but as the saying goes, it's still a honda.

lastly, everyone, and i mean everyone who shaves should know about the power of alum blocks or styptic pens.[/quote]

I saw this same bit of info on Good Morning America about 3 weeks ago. What would you recomend for creams, brushes etc. I had also noticed he had a standard old school straight blade then he also had a "Safer" straight blade. Know anything about those?

[quote name='JimmieMac']People don't take enough pics on this site. Good show.

Now, get back to talkin' back to your momma and bangin' bitches with no rubbers, playa.[/quote]

That has to do with the fact that the majority of them get photoshopped and thrown back at them within a couple days.

I definitely have a "no shaving on the weekends" rule... I hate it but I must look clean cut for work every day... :x

there is a learning curve, using the old school straight edge or str8 as it is known takes 1 month to get the hang of and 2-3 months to become competent at, you will be more prone to cutting yourself (hence the need or alum/stytpic and a good, nonalcoholic aftershave or balm), plus you will need a strop to sharpen the razor on.

An alum block is a solid crystal of potassium alum that in part cauterizes a wound, closing the pores and stopping the bleeding. Hence it is great if you nick yourself shaving. It also doubles as a great deoderant (being the main ingredient in deoderants) as it stops any smell by killing the bacteria that grows instead of coverin up the odor with another smell. The downfall is that it is not an anti-perspirant. Also, since it kills bacteria, if you find your feet smell, especially after sports, rubbing alum on your feet beforehand will greatly prevent that smell as well. It is also very cheap, $5 at a pharmacy for a block that will last a year.

The safer straight blade is the safety razor or double edge razor (the DE) as I have called it. it also has a learning curve as requires much less pressure than a disposable (mach3, sensor, bic etc). The leading manufacturer is a German company, Merkur, the basic, nonadjustable model the HD is under $20 (there are about a dozen or so different models). All DE's take the same blades, but there are a number of different manufacturers, most models come with a pack of 10 blades, and each blade will last apprx 1.5 times longer than a mach3 blade. Future 10 packs can be bought for $4 or in bulk at half that.

as for brushes, simpsons is the ridiculously top of the line (like several hundred $ ridic), and unneeded. vulfix is a good manufacturer and their brushes are in the $50-$60 range (sometimes cheaper), the super badger is the ideal as the tips are platinum and hence softer and better at lifting up the whiskers, which is a main point of using brushes. Keep in mind a brush will have a lifespan of 5-9 years depending on care taken.

there are as a good number of shaving cream manufactures, the top of the line is consider trumpers or truefitt and hill. The one i like is Taylor of Old Bond Street, a 5.3 oz tub will cost about $13 and easily last a year (the higher ends cost $20-30). They all do a great job of providing a lather so it comes down to the individual preference of smell. The sandalwood line is one of the more popular ones. There is also shaving soap, which i personally find to be more difficuly to create a lather with and dries up quicker. It also lasts a long time and costs maybe $4-$10 each depending on the line.

Overall, alot of it is personal preference, if you can find an old time pharmacy store that sells these to get a sense of what they look like and more importantly smell like, that is best and then experiment from there.

$50-$60 price range for a brush sounds like a lot. I had no idea they were so expensive. :shock:

[quote name='Socheata']Hot damn! Who are you? Haha.

Yeah, I did attend Owen's Microsoft Office class at Fresno City last semester. Such a small world...[/quote]
Easy question to answer, since we were actually in the same presentation group. I'm not that Thornsberry guy, but the other one. :lol:

Small world, indeed.

[quote name='Javil'][quote name='Socheata']Hot damn! Who are you? Haha.

Yeah, I did attend Owen's Microsoft Office class at Fresno City last semester. Such a small world...[/quote]
Easy question to answer, since we were actually in the same presentation group. I'm not that Thornsberry guy, but the other one. :lol:

Small world, indeed.[/quote]

Brandon?

I hope you're Brandon. If not, I'd feel bad for not remembering you. :oops:

Did anyone else get Mach 3 from Gilette when they turned 16? It happened to my brother when he got that old, then for myself two years later. Neither of us had any clue how they got our birthdays, probably through some other company they own or something.

I just remember that my mom took my Mach 3 because I used an electric.

Also, the quality of an electric razor can greatly determine the quality of the shave. I think my old one was a Panasonic, and it always had trouble getting hairs out from this one freckle/mole thing on my upper lip. I recently switched to a Braun electric and the difference is amazing. Shaving takes me a fraction of the time and it's way closer than what I used to get. Plus, my old Panasonic had a slight hole in the screen, so occasionally either my face or a whisker would get stuck underneath making me get repeatedly pinched by the blades. :(

now if i could only get that free squishy thing someone posted prob back in early 2004 that still hasn't come in the mail yet. AND MY FREE STEAK DAMMIT

[quote name='RacinReaver']Did anyone else get Mach 3 from Gilette when they turned 16? It happened to my brother when he got that old, then for myself two years later. Neither of us had any clue how they got our birthdays, probably through some other company they own or something.

I just remember that my mom took my Mach 3 because I used an electric.

Also, the quality of an electric razor can greatly determine the quality of the shave. I think my old one was a Panasonic, and it always had trouble getting hairs out from this one freckle/mole thing on my upper lip. I recently switched to a Braun electric and the difference is amazing. Shaving takes me a fraction of the time and it's way closer than what I used to get. Plus, my old Panasonic had a slight hole in the screen, so occasionally either my face or a whisker would get stuck underneath making me get repeatedly pinched by the blades. :([/quote]

have that shit lazered off. I would never deal with that shaving for the rest of my life. Plus the honeys will b drippin and jump in the hoochie wagon and cruize with ya.

[quote name='Socheata']Brandon?

I hope you're Brandon. If not, I'd feel bad for not remembering you. :oops:[/quote]
Yup, that would be me (it's actually Brandyn, though). I figured that you were a gamer since your e-mail address was something like RE0Cube, but I'm not very sociable that early in the morning. :lol:

I thought I was all clever for thinking of doing a presentation on hybrid cars, then Owens went and showed that example of someone else presenting on the exact same subject. D'oh! Oh, well, I got my A in that class. :)

bread's done
Back