I wrote my name on all my DVD's, are they worthless?

Zerostatic

CAGiversary!
Hey, I have about 150 DVD's that I was thinking about getting rid of. The only problem is that I wrote my name on all my DVD's with a sharpie.

If you ask why would I do such a thing. Well, when I was living with my parents, my house was kind of like a madhouse (I have a big hispanic family) and my cousins would borrow my movies and would forget to bring them back and if too much time passed they'd forget that it was borrowed in the first place. So I wrote my name on all my DVD's as a constant reminder of who they belonged to.

Obviously the value has taken a hit, but if will I be able to get any kind of noticeable profit for them (i.e. $150 dollars or so) so I can start building my Blu-ray collection (and this time, I won't write my name on the Discs!)

You should be able to remove this; if you go over the writing with a dry erase marker, the whole thing should wipe away.

Rubbing alcohol would also work, but the dry erase marker has less potential to do any damage.

Rubbing alcohol will most likely remove the artwork from the disc label as well. Not sure about the eraser thing. I'd give even rubbing alcohol a shot on one of the crappier discs just to see what happens though. Goo Gone is also an option but even more likely to damage the disc's label IMO. Still Sharpie is pretty tough to remove.

Anyway I'd say they'd still have value, but DVDs even in great shape often don't bring a lot (at least on eBay) I think. Depends on the movies I'm sure. Probably best to just sell them on eBay or the trading forum here and be very clear in your listing that they all have writing on the disc.

I'd think you should be able to get $1 per disc. That doesn't seem like a crazy goal to me.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Sell them to someone with the same name. And I'm actually being serious here.[/quote]My name is Raul.:cry:

[quote name='wubb']Rubbing alcohol will most likely remove the artwork from the disc label as well. Not sure about the eraser thing. I'd give even rubbing alcohol a shot on one of the crappier discs just to see what happens though. Goo Gone is also an option but even more likely to damage the disc's label IMO. Still Sharpie is pretty tough to remove.

Anyway I'd say they'd still have value, but DVDs even in great shape often don't bring a lot (at least on eBay) I think. Depends on the movies I'm sure. Probably best to just sell them on eBay or the trading forum here and be very clear in your listing that they all have writing on the disc.

I'd think you should be able to get $1 per disc. That doesn't seem like a crazy goal to me.[/quote]

It's not an eraser, its the actual dry erase marker. Then use the eraser or a cloth to rub off the dry erase marker. It's a method used to erase permanent marker from a dry erase board.

[quote name='Zerostatic']My name is Raul.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

Ontopic, I really don't see the big deal, unless you're selling it to a collector. I see DVD's in worse condition being picked up at used sales, so yeah.

Or you could do the aforementioned 'sell to another Raul' method.

[quote name='Etcetera']Find some guys named Paul and don't let them get too good a look.[/quote]

lol omfg, im so glad i browsed here. i usually dont

Use lacquer thinner. Strong enough to remove sharpie from glossy surfaces. (Like DVDs and Cases) You shouldn't have a problem with it removing paint.

Sadly if they are all mainstream movies released in the last 5 years or so, odds are they are worthless anyway.

[quote name='wubb']Rubbing alcohol will most likely remove the artwork from the disc label as well.[/quote]

I don't know that isopropyl alcohol will work, but it's probably a safe first thing to try. I'd go with with something that's cut with water (70%, or whatever it is that you can buy at the drugstore). If you mean ethyl alcohol, wubb, well, it's up to the OP if he wants to raid his liquor cabinet.

[quote name='wubb']Still Sharpie is pretty tough to remove.[/quote]

I use acetone every day in the lab to remove black Sharpie from glass and some plastics. Acetone dissolves Sharpie in a snap, but evaporates pretty quick, so I'd recommend putting a little on a paper towel and wiping the marker off. The ink should come right off, assuming it doesn't deeply penetrate the disc label, and the acetone residue should evaporate before it can mess up the disc label. (The "dry erase marker trick" works because dry erase ink probably contains acetone and/or an alcohol, like methanol.)

If I were you, I'd take the disc you care the least about and carefully try these, in order:

(1) The lowest concentration of isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol you have sitting around.
(2) A more concentrated isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol, if you have it.
(3) Straight isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol, if you have it.
(4) Acetone in water (~50% or something).
(5) Acetone.
(6) CCl4.
(7) Benzene.
(8) Fluorosulfuric acid.

Something will work before you get to (6).

[quote name='wubb']Goo Gone is also an option but even more likely to damage the disc's label IMO.[/quote]

I really want to know what's in Goo Gone. I'm not buying this "Citrus Power" bullcrap.

DISCLAIMER: I accept no responsibility for any damages resulting from reading this post and/or heeding its advice. :cool:

[quote name='siderealshift']
I really want to know what's in Goo Gone. I'm not buying this "Citrus Power" bullcrap.

[/quote]
genie.gif

Your wish is my command.

[quote name='mguiddy']Your wish is my command.[/quote]

Ah, well done, sir.

[CHEMICAL WANKERY]I had to look up "naphtha" -- I hadn't heard of that before. Turns out it's basically petroleum ether. So Goo Gone is a few citrus essential oils dissolved in a bunch of nondescript hydrocarbons. And that's "scientific technology designed to eliminate the very toughest of problems", apparently. I hope there's something they're not telling us.[/CHEMICAL WANKERY]

In that case, you might be OK using Goo Gone, but it could get a little messy. I'd still go with acetone. Tried and true.

[quote name='siderealshift']Ah, well done, sir.

[CHEMICAL WANKERY]I had to look up "naphtha" -- I hadn't heard of that before. Turns out it's basically petroleum ether. So Goo Gone is a few citrus essential oils dissolved in a bunch of nondescript hydrocarbons. And that's "scientific technology designed to eliminate the very toughest of problems", apparently. I hope there's something they're not telling us.[/CHEMICAL WANKERY]

In that case, you might be OK using Goo Gone, but it could get a little messy. I'd still go with acetone. Tried and true.[/quote]
Acetone will literally eat away at the plastic, major NO-NO....also if your only looking for a $1 a piece just try Craigslist or a Pawnshop they usually only care about the disc quality, but your family being Dominican & all I'm sure your lucky they even bootup, shyt I'm surprised you even got any of them back, name or not, you only reminded them who they jacked it from, making them easier to hide when you visited...Dios, Patria y Libertad: no mention of a return policy ;)

Use IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). IPA will not remove any original print on the DVD, but will get rid of Sharpie ink. Do NOT use Acetone. This is a HORRIBLE idea.

Trade them in somewhere? I know Blockbuster gives a guaranteed minimum $4/movie, and I seriously doubt they care if your name is written on them.

[quote name='argyle']Trade them in somewhere? I know Blockbuster gives a guaranteed minimum $4/movie, and I seriously doubt they care if your name is written on them.[/quote]
I seriously wish I knew that a couple of weeks ago, unloaded about 100 movies for dirt...:cry:...

[quote name='argyle']Trade them in somewhere? I know Blockbuster gives a guaranteed minimum $4/movie, and I seriously doubt they care if your name is written on them.[/QUOTE]
Do they give cash though? He might end up with store/trade credit, which would still be good because he could buy a few games (which he could then sell on ebay for more than he paid).

first : lol

second: goo-gone (an oil based solvent) should remove the sharpie without damaging the discs

They could be worth more than you think. Tell people that you were a huge Raul Mondesi fan and had him autograph all your dvds!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm not even going try to fix the discs and end up selling it on EBAY. I might check out the Blockbuster thing though. If they really take them like this and give me $4 dollars a disc that's $600 dollars. Even if that is store credit, I'll still take it. I just want the money so I can buy blu-ray's and Blockbuster sells blu-ray movies.

I know a thing or two about crazy hispanic families...but where were U planning on taking them too to sell them? If its Blockbuster or similar or a pawn shop, whether its mint or the most beat up DVD imaginable, they'll take it regardless...and it'll be the same price.

If online/ebay....yikes!

Just so you know, Blockbuster recently downed the trqade in value of most of their DVDs...some were as cheap as $0.50...might as well GIVE them away at that ridiculous price.

You have been warned.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Acetone will literally eat away at the plastic, major NO-NO....[/quote]

Yeah, this is true. Acetone attacks polycarbonate plastic -- and optical discs are made primarily of polycarbonate. I knew that there's another protective layer on CDs/DVDs between the data layer and the disc label, but I didn't know (until about 30 seconds ago) that it's actually some kind of lacquer, which is probably also soluble in acetone. Still, assuming the ink is on the disc label, and the disc label is made from something else (aren't they?), it could still be OK, but it is certainly not the best thing to try first.

That said, I think you've got the right idea, Zero: Just leave them as is and see what you can get for them at a trade-in shop (Blockbuster, Movie Trading Co., etc.). That's going to be a hell of a lot easier -- and probably more profitable -- than eBay.

[quote name='Zerostatic']Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm not even going try to fix the discs and end up selling it on EBAY. I might check out the Blockbuster thing though. If they really take them like this and give me $4 dollars a disc that's $600 dollars. Even if that is store credit, I'll still take it. I just want the money so I can buy blu-ray's and Blockbuster sells blu-ray movies.[/QUOTE]

Go with Ebay. Blockbuster USED to give good trade values, not any more. I was in there one day when a guy was trading his in. He was right behind me in line and said he'd rather have cash, and offered to sell them straight to me. I ASKED THE BLOCKBUSTER GUY if he cared and told both of them I was just going to pay him cash and then trade the dvd's in right away - everybody said Ok. I think I gave him $20 for 2 season sets of Southpark, another box set of some TV show, and about 8 DVD's (fairly respectable, like XXX, Fast and the Furious, etc). I ended up with like $24 in store credit, which was fine with me, but man was I sweating when they were ringing up at $.50 trade-in, etc. The box sets, some of them were only $3(!)

Long story short, Ebay is the way to go. STILL, in reference to your first question, the collection is relatively worthless compared to what you probably paid, since DVD's are so prolific - big reason Gamestop seems to be pulling out. It probably has less to do with your writing on them. However, writing on them probably did drop the value some in addition as well.

[quote name='SithFran']If you have a list I'll take a look at it.[/QUOTE]

same here. Try listing the movies on CAG first see if there is any takers here. Ebay is a hassle especially if you have no or low feedback.

[quote name='siderealshift']
(6) CCl4.
(7) Benzene.
(8) Fluorosulfuric acid.[/quote]

That's fucking crazy. Not to mention probably a little difficult for a normal consumer to get a hold of likely due to the fact that they'd die.

siderealshift knows what's up. I work in a lab as well but acetone is usually only the last effort to removing gunk like tape residue or something. Diluted alcohol should do the trick. We have 200proof ethanol and I dilute it to 80% and it removes all sharpie on glassware. Heck I used Everclear to remove some sharpie on a game I had, did no damage to the top of the dvd's. Good luck and sorry if I'm late.

[quote name='animemaniac14']nail polish remover works like a charm man. Takes off all the sharpie and leaves the art work on the disc in tact :)[/QUOTE]

Be careful with polish remover, actually- some are acetone-based and do a number on plastics.

I know of people who've had good luck removing sharpie from plastic doll parts with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. (I'd start with the dry erase marker myself- can't make it worse than it already is, right?)

Regular rubbing alcohol won't hurt them, i use it to clean discs all the time. Acetone will literally dissolve the plastic, I've seen it happen. Any sort of harsh chemical is probably a no no. The dry erase marker trick works too, I've seen it used to remove permanent marker from a TV screen.

Just don't damage the top of the disc. Top scratches are worse than bottom scratches. If you try to rub your name off end up removing some of the paint, and even get a little scratch on the top disc under the paint will more than likely have some kind of problems with the disc.

bread's done
Back