I'd Say This Is A Good Trade

Lost Loser

CAGiversary!
Yesterday, my manager comes over and starts telling me he bought a new TV and hooked his PS2 again after a long time and now has over 100 hours on Final Fantasy X. Then out of no where he says, "Hey, you don't happen to own Soul Blade do you?" As a matter of fact I do. Apparently he used to play the game a lot back in '96 or so but he never got the chance to beat it. I agree to lend it to him.

Later that day we're back on Final Fantasy and he says, "You know, I own another one besides X. It's for the original PlayStation. All of the guys in the store told me it was like the must-have game but I couldn't get into it." I ask him to describe it and he says that it is 3 discs and that the guys have blocks for hands and there's this huge buff guy. I'm pretty sure the game is Final Fantasy VII. I tell him I've been looking to try the game, but I can't find a decent copy under $50 or anywhere that rents PS1 games. He tells me he'll straight across give me the game if I let him keep Soul Blade. So that's my awesome trade. I give him Soul Blade, which I got for $7.50 on Goozex, and he gives me a Final Fantasy game that is most likely VII (current average price of $75.95). There's still a possibility of it being either VIII ($12.87) or IX ($11.97). Obviously I'm hoping it is VII, but in any case I'm getting a more valuable game. I'm going in to work at 6:30 tonight. I'll update with any new information.

I stopped by my work today while I was out getting my paycheck cashed and I took in Soul Blade. My manager handed me his keys and told me to go put the game in his glove compartment and take all of the games that were in there because he found a few more he wasn't interested in. I go out there and look. I open up the glove compartment and sitting there are disc only copies of Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Metal Gear Solid (this one makes me laugh because of the frequency code you have to get off the back of the box). I already own War of the Lions and Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection, but I take the extra games just because he already told me he was too lazy to sell them. I'm pretty happy. I would have preferred to have the boxes and manuals for the games, but I'm not going to look this one in the mouth. I'm sure I can find those things later on at some point.

So basically, what you're saying is because your manager was a lazy ass(by not wanting to sell them himself) and a dunce about game values, you got a great deal? GOOD JOB!!#-o:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So basically, your manager let you rip them off and you willingly did it? Good job.#-o:roll:[/quote]

I think that's a pretty simplified view of the situation. In the first conversation we had about Final Fantasy VII, I told him I was interested in borrowing his copy because it was $50 online. In the first conversation we had about Soul Blade when I told him I had bought it online a few months ago he said, "Oh, so it must have been about $20 or so," and I said, "No, I got it for $7.50." I don't hang out with this guy on my free time, but as far as co-workers who are almost 20 years older than me go I would consider him a friend. I have no intentions of pulling a fast one on him. Like I already said in my last post, he didn't like playing these three games and doesn't want to take the effort to sell them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So basically, what you're saying is because your manager was a lazy ass(by not wanting to sell them himself) and a dunce about game values, you got a great deal? GOOD JOB!!#-o:roll:[/quote]

I see you changed your post before I finished mine. But yeah, that's sort of what I'm saying.

I wouldn't call this ripping off really... he told his manager that he couldn't find FFVII for under $50 so unless his manager is a complete idiot, the manager should've figured the game was worth something. I would say this is nothing like that one CAG who ripped off his 5 year old "friend" (the CAG was 15 or something).

Or the CAG who went to Target and used 6-7 $10 off coupons to clean out their supply of one 360 game, then traded them in for a pre-order on Madden. :p blech

But, I digress on that.

Just in case anyone has any doubt left, I went into to work at 6:30 as scheduled. We get some down time and my manager comes over. These quotes won't be verbatim as I didn't have a tape recorder, but I'll do my best to remember.

Him "So that was the right game?"
Me "Yeah."
Him "You already had that Metal Gear game, right. I was thinking about that, but I wasn't sure."
Me "Yeah, I do."
Him "Oh well. You said you use a game trading site, right? Just throw it in your trade pile. As for Tactics, I don't know. That game doesn't mean shit to me. I'm just glad to get Soul Blade. I've been waiting a long time to kick that Voldo's ass."

It was like magic. Completely unprovoked he said everything he needed to say to make this guilt free. An interesting side note to this story, I was talking to him about Soul Blade and it seems he hasn't kept up on the series at all. He didn't even recognize the name Soulcalibur. I told him he needs to pick up a Gamecube and a copy of II so that he can play as Link (he's a fan of the older Zeldas), he said he didn't need any more consoles though.

I know it's been 15 days since this page dropped off the front, but I have an update to my story. Okay, so my manager has been playing through Final Fantasy X. Well he comes in one day and tells me that all of a sudden he can't get any further because the battles won't load all of the way (the monsters won't appear or something and the game locks up). He asks what might cause that. Well, I'm not very good with technical stuff, but I tell him that I would assume it was a scratched disc, because as far as I know if his console or memory card had gone bad he wouldn't even be able play the game or load his file. He says he thought the same thing and that he saw something that looked like a scratch on the bottom of his disc. So he goes out and buys a new copy, puts it in, and he can continue his game. Then the next day he brings in his scratched copy including the case and manual. He tells me since it is pretty much garbage I can have it and at least try out the game to see if I like it. So now I've gotten a fourth free game from the same guy.

I'm wondering if I can get the disc fixed though. I've never tried that kind of thing before, so do you guys know of any tricks or any places I could take it?

[quote name='Lost Loser']I know it's been 15 days since this page dropped off the front, but I have an update to my story. Okay, so my manager has been playing through Final Fantasy X. Well he comes in one day and tells me that all of a sudden he can't get any further because the battles won't load all of the way (the monsters won't appear or something and the game locks up). He asks what might cause that. Well, I'm not very good with technical stuff, but I tell him that I would assume it was a scratched disc, because as far as I know if his console or memory card had gone bad he wouldn't even be able play the game or load his file. He says he thought the same thing and that he saw something that looked like a scratch on the bottom of his disc. So he goes out and buys a new copy, puts it in, and he can continue his game. Then the next day he brings in his scratched copy including the case and manual. He tells me since it is pretty much garbage I can have it and at least try out the game to see if I like it. So now I've gotten a fourth free game from the same guy.

I'm wondering if I can get the disc fixed though. I've never tried that kind of thing before, so do you guys know of any tricks or any places I could take it?[/quote]

It's too bad none of my bosses were ever into games and as dumb as yours, since I could've had a whole collection by now with how idiotic this person sounds. I mean, geez, even if a game is unplayable for me, I go and trade it into Gamestop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's too bad none of my bosses were ever into games and as dumb as yours, since I could've had a whole collection by now with how idiotic this person sounds. I mean, geez, even if a game is unplayable for me, I go and trade it into Gamestop.[/quote]

Dude, the manager isn't stupid. He just doesn't care. He doesn't want to go through the hassle of selling disc only games. Which is a pain in the butt. He got what he wanted and is happy.

[quote name='kube00']Gamecrazy will resurface games for like a $1[/quote]

Fye has a $1 thing too (ask for it at checkout)...use it up to 5 times! ;)

[quote name='paddlefoot']Dude, the manager isn't stupid. He just doesn't care. He doesn't want to go through the hassle of selling disc only games. Which is a pain in the butt. He got what he wanted and is happy.[/QUOTE]

I'm just thinking the guy is a nice guy really.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Dude, the manager isn't stupid. He just doesn't care. He doesn't want to go through the hassle of selling disc only games. Which is a pain in the butt. He got what he wanted and is happy.[/quote]

I agree, not everyone is into getting the most for their videogame dollars, i mean some people just want to get the games that make them happy and not worry about the hassle

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Or the CAG who went to Target and used 6-7 $10 off coupons to clean out their supply of one 360 game, then traded them in for a pre-order on Madden. :p blech

But, I digress on that.[/quote]

LOL, he should go to Dumbassgamer.com, I guess if you like madden that's cool, but Madden??

bread's done
Back