If Circuit City goes to liquidation next week....

caffolote

CAGiversary!
CAG will be very happy and very sad at the same time. Why? Because it will start liquidating all of it's items and you know what that means? HUGE ASS DISCOUNTS ON VIDEO GAMES! That's what CAG likes. But, Circuit City will shut down, which is also bad news. What do you think?

meh i normally shop at BB, Walmart, Target, BBV, Gamecrazy, GS, and all the online shopping places (buy, amazon, deepdiscount, gamefly)...losing CC isn't a big deal.

Only thing sad is seeing more people unemployed.

I always enjoyed Circuit City - they had better prices on new CDs and better freebies like shirts, etc - and since Circuit City started lowering their prices on games, dvds, and CDs first week Best Buy followed suit - for a few years new release dvds never fell below 17.99 - when circuit city started 14.99 and 13.99 best buy started doing the same - if they fall it is goodbye to any good deals at best buy on first week deals - target prices usually suck and walmart doesn't discount new CDs or movies much so it will be pretty much retail at BB - not a good out look.

[quote name='naiku']meh i normally shop at BB, Walmart, Target, BBV, Gamecrazy, GS, and all the online shopping places (buy, amazon, deepdiscount, gamefly)...losing CC isn't a big deal.

Only thing sad is seeing more people unemployed.[/quote]
Agreed, I rarely go to CC. Only times I do go is when there is a good sale.

[quote name='iloveqtchickz']Is this every CC store or ymmv?[/quote]

It might be all CC stores. From what was mentioned yesterday, they're in talks with two parties that will either buy the company or help finance it. If the talks fall through, then CC will most likely be closing all stores and liquidate all their stock.

I don't go to CC much at all however I don't want them to close more stores. However I will be picking up as many BD DVDs as I can if they do liquidate next week.

The local CC already liquidated here. But Best Buy will always have competition as long as Walmart, HHGregg, Gamestop, ToysRUs, Target, ect... are around. These companies can only get so big before it works against them, whenver the economy picks back up you will see new franchises slowly springing up again. In 10 years all the above mentioned companies could be gone and there'd be news one to talk about for all we can predict.

[quote name='JolietJake']Actually, from what i understand, CC was never Bestbuy's biggest competition anyway, it's Walmart.[/QUOTE]

This is true. I have relatives that work for BB, and BB never considered CC a competitor because their sales were marginal compared to their own. WalMart was and still is their big competitor.

[quote name='lordwow']This is true. I have relatives that work for BB, and BB never considered CC a competitor because their sales were marginal compared to their own. WalMart was and still is their big competitor.[/QUOTE]

But WalMart isn't an big electronics store, it's competition is with places like Target. How is Best Buy and Wal-Mart the same?

Because Walmart sells the things that bestbuy sells and more. They don't have as big a selection, but i bet Walmart's electronics section makes more money than an entire bestbuy store.

I sometimes go to Circuit City, but I really don't like them. Their selection is terrible and their store is a mess. Best Buy has a good selection, but their prices are too high on a lot of things. I like Fry's the best, although it's over an hour away from me. I just buy most stuff at Meijer and so on.

I'd sort of miss CC, but not that much.

The only reason I care if they go under is that my best friend is a store manager there.

I used to shop there all the time when he was just a salesman to boost his sales but always hated them. Horrid customer service, horrid selection....just plain a bad store.

Isn't Wal-Mart every brick and mortar store's biggest competitor? At this rate, Wal-Mart will consume Earth, and Earth will be renamed Wal-Mart.

But yes, my concerns rest with those who will lose their job. I rarely visited Circuit City, and only went during a few of their 10-dollar gift card promotions.

Yeah, I have no real love for CC. Haven't gone in my local one in like 4 years. I guess I will give it a look if they are going out of business when they get the high percentages off.

[quote name='Chase']Isn't Wal-Mart every brick and mortar store's biggest competitor? At this rate, Wal-Mart will consume Earth, and Earth will be renamed Wal-Mart.

But yes, my concerns rest with those who will lose their job. I rarely visited Circuit City, and only went during a few of their 10-dollar gift card promotions.[/QUOTE]

Yeah , didn't you see WALL-E ?

I take it when or if they announce they are liquidating it will be all over cag. I wonder how cheap everything will go. Chances are they will just sell the stuff the have in stock to other places rather then sell it to the consumer.

[quote name='sendme']I take it when or if they announce they are liquidating it will be all over cag. I wonder how cheap everything will go. Chances are they will just sell the stuff the have in stock to other places rather then sell it to the consumer.[/quote]

It will probably be just like the CompUSA liquidation. All the stupid people will buy all good shit at 15% instead of waiting for 30-40% by the times prices get to blow out all the good stuff is gone. All though I did get Chromehounds for 10$....:mrgreen:

[quote name='Frogurt.man']It will probably be just like the CompUSA liquidation. All the stupid people will buy all good shit at 15% instead of waiting for 30-40% by the times prices get to blow out all the good stuff is gone. All though I did get Chromehounds for 10$....:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Going out of business sales don't tend to offer me much. They waste my time starting with miniscule discounts and worse, sometimes manage to find suckers at those prices.

I recently went to a Linens & Things deathbed sales and was very disappointed. Everything of interest was at prices I could beat on short notice.

They start with small discounts because they know the idiots will jump on them. If people would learn to wait, we'd all get better deals.

[quote name='JolietJake']They start with small discounts because they know the idiots will jump on them. If people would learn to wait, we'd all get better deals.[/QUOTE]

Yep. It was far better while CC struggle on life support and blew out the inventory regularly.

Some of my all-time favorite blowout sales were at places that are still around and even fairly healthy in some case. Like when Best Buy overnight marked down all Saturn games to $10 or less. I went wild completing my library and selling enough stuff to make a major profit. After the games I kept and gas, I came out about $2500 ahead.

Then there was the Sears blowout that went on for months in 1999. I made hundreds of eBay sales on that.

I scored some pretty good deals at Circuit City through the years so I will hate to see them go. But yeah...I see some bad management mistakes made there.

[quote name='naiku']
Only thing sad is seeing more people unemployed.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My local circuit city's are ghetto shit holes and stopped shopping at years ago. The Best Buy and Target's are generally ok here so they get my business even if CC has a slight cheaper price.

if i buy a tv can i purchase a warranty from another company? since im pretty sure cc wont be selling or honoring their warranty's.

Mission Accomplished, right guys?

Right?

Sad to see CC go, in the golden years of CAG CC was the B&M store of choice, with ebgames.com being the website of choice.

So miss those days. :cry:

The CC near me already closed down... they had around 30-40% off DVD's, but the DVD's were still normal price. I mean I am Legend was like 40% off but was 15 bucks... it's like they just raise the price than "drop it". Everything in the store was the exact same price as amazon, (but it included tax.) Don't always blindly trust these "everything must go!" sales, that's when they make their best business.

bread's done
Back