If I use the component cables, how can I hook up the audio to my surround sound?

Ryan187412

CAG Veteran
Sorry to bother you guys again, I just thought of that, is it possible to hook up to the TV and surround sound?

For Xbox360 it was easy cuz the standard and HD cables were all on one cord so I used the white n red wires on the system....

How will I get it to work for Wii??

Also I am waiting ona HDMI cable to arrive for my PS3, can I use my system on it with the HDMI cable too?

The component cables have two audio cables (the red and white) alongside them.

Shouldn't be a problem with your HDMI.

However, there might be problems with your PS3 and surround. Where is your HDMI plugging into?

[quote name='Ryan187412']Sorry to bother you guys again, I just thought of that, is it possible to hook up to the TV and surround sound?

For Xbox360 it was easy cuz the standard and HD cables were all on one cord so I used the white n red wires on the system....

Also I am waiting ona HDMI cable to arrive for my PS3, can I use my system on it with the HDMI cable too?[/quote]

Hmm....The component cables, for the wii, also are all on one cord with the red and white audio hook ups. the problem is, from what I've seen...not much play between the audio terminations and the video terminations.

Which means...it's might be a tough run to get to BOTH your receiver AND your TV, because I'm not sure how far you can get the audio terminators, distance wise, from the video terminators to get your connection.

I'm sure people have done it....for me, it's not an issue because my reciever does all my component video switching for me (which means the cables all run to the same place). Hopefully, you'll get some good suggestions here.

The Wii only needs analog L/R stereos because of course it doesn't use digital sound.

The answer here, assuming you aren't using a component video switch that also handles audio, is to buy some stereo extension cables to make the audio portion longer than the video portion. So you run the video into your TV set, and then make longer runs to go to your stereo.

Good Luck!
These things should be dirt cheap at RatShack, etc.

[quote name='pilferk']Hmm....The component cables, for the wii, also are all on one cord with the red and white audio hook ups. the problem is, from what I've seen...not much play between the audio terminations and the video terminations.

Which means...it's might be a tough run to get to BOTH your receiver AND your TV, because I'm not sure how far you can get the audio terminators, distance wise, from the video terminators to get your connection.

I'm sure people have done it....for me, it's not an issue because my reciever does all my component video switching for me (which means the cables all run to the same place). Hopefully, you'll get some good suggestions here.[/quote]It is obnoxious, but just getting some RCA extenders (that is just some M/F RCA cables) fixes it right up. I have the component cables running to the TV and then it doubles back with the extenders to the receiver down below. Silly and cumbersome, but it works just fine.

Mono Price has your hookup for cheap:
6ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1021802&p_id=648&seq=1&format=2&style=
12 ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1021802&p_id=649&seq=1&format=2&style=
25 ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1021802&p_id=650&seq=1&format=2&style=
50 ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1021802&p_id=651&seq=1&format=2&style=

ive got the same problem as the OP.....so say i do get the RCA extenders, what can i do to allow my wii and my cable receiver box to hook to my surround sound receiver (ive only got 1 set of audio in for accessories on my receiver). is there a splitter or something i can use?

alright I see that it should'nt be a problem with the Wii, but what shall I do for PS3 when My HDMI cable comes in? And I am assuming to buy two of those extenders for the audio video right?

[quote name='Ryan187412']alright I see that it should'nt be a problem with the Wii, but what shall I do for PS3 when My HDMI cable comes in? And I am assuming to buy two of those extenders for the audio video right?[/QUOTE]

Use optical out on the PS3 to hook into your receiver? If you have a receiver that does component switching, it much have optical audio, right?

HDMI sends both video and audio, but only high end recivers for now accept both signals.

Most HMDI receivers out now are "pass-through" which means they only pass the video.
Again, I don't know what kind you have.

Like the other poster said, use the optical out on the PS3 for your receiver.
And unless your receiver also has component in (which it should if it has HDMI), then you don't need the extenders for the audio cables.

If the component is going straight to the TV, use the extenders to make the audio cables reach your receiver.

[quote name='Ryan187412']Okay I see one thing in the back of my stereo that says exactly this...

DIgital

Optical

SA-CD/CD IN

is that it?[/quote]

Yeah, it's like a square-ish small port.
You'll see one similar on the back of the PS3.

It's weird that it says SACD though, since you can't get multichannel sound from SACD or even DVD-A out of optical.

Anyway, ignore that and just plug the PS3 into there.
You'll get sweet Dolby Digital 5.1 up to DD EX with it. Pretty nice.

[quote name='Ryan187412']Sorry to bother you guys again, I just thought of that, is it possible to hook up to the TV and surround sound?

Also I am waiting ona HDMI cable to arrive for my PS3, can I use my system on it with the HDMI cable too?[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'm confused

at one point you said "MY STEREO", a stereo is a two channel system, is that what you have? A two channel amp?

Or do you have a surround sound A/V receiver?

Clarify which one you have, and then I'll give you an answer.

[quote name='sarausagi']Okay, I'm confused

at one point you said "MY STEREO", a stereo is a two channel system, is that what you have? A two channel amp?

Or do you have a surround sound A/V receiver?

Clarify which one you have, and then I'll give you an answer.[/quote]

Are there stereo (2-channel) systems out there with an optical port?

[quote name='dallow']Are there stereo (2-channel) systems out there with an optical port?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are. The use of two channel systems is strictly for music. Most high end CD transports have an optical output, so two channel systems typically have one optical in as well as the variety of RCA inputs.

Also, many "Stereo systems" [the types they sell at walmart and circuit city with big complex looking speakers...quote unquote boomboxes] have optical inputs used for hooking up DVD players...

I am pretty sure it is surround sound, the exact thing is Sony Digital Audio COntrol Center - Digital Cinema Sound

It has 5 speaks and a subwoofer, for box speakers and 1 for over the TV and that was included in the reciever, it was a gift from my gf last year for my birthday it cost like 250 or 200....

I called it surround sound on another board and someone corrected me and said it wasnt cuz i used white n red wires in the back, so I am confused I still think it is surround sound but i wrote stereo just in case....

Is that enough clarification, sorry for that

[quote name='Ryan187412']I am pretty sure it is surround sound, the exact thing is Sony Digital Audio COntrol Center - Digital Cinema Sound

It has 5 speaks and a subwoofer, for box speakers and 1 for over the TV and that was included in the reciever, it was a gift from my gf last year for my birthday it cost like 250 or 200....

I called it surround sound on another board and someone corrected me and said it wasnt cuz i used white n red wires in the back, so I am confused I still think it is surround sound but i wrote stereo just in case....

Is that enough clarification, sorry for that[/QUOTE]

What you have is called a "HOME THEATRE IN A BOX", it probably does not have many inputs..give me the model number and I can look up the rear panel and spec sheet. The model number should be in the lower right or left corner of the receiver section's front panel.

Okay, I saw the manual for your receiver, it is not really an A/V receiver..more like an amp

You have ONE optical input

ONE coaxial input

and two individual analog inputs

No video inputs

Do you have a separate DVD player? Or do you just use your consoles for DVD's?

What brand/model is your TV?

[quote name='Ryan187412']I use consoles for DVDs when I watch em(rarely) I have a Toshiba 34' CRT HDTV 1080i[/QUOTE]

Okay, then here is what I honestly suggest you do...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2&style=

Optical [toslink] to coaxial converter

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023601&p_id=2743&seq=1&format=2&style=

Coaxial digital audio cable [order one]

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1022901&p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2&style=

Optical digital audio cable [if you don't already have two]

Connect your PS3 to your TV via HDMI for video, to the DVD connection with the coaxial adapter and cables

Connect your 360 to the SACD input via optical and component to the TV

Connect the Wii directly to your TV via component and the audio to the receiver with these

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1021803&p_id=656&seq=1&format=2&style=

buy two, one for the red one for the white

That should take care of your entire set up..do you have cable TV/DVD box or just cable straight to your TV?

Now everything is connected to your amp and you have 5.1 for both your 360 and PS3..plus dolby pro logic for your Wii

[quote name='Ryan187412']i have an HDTV DVR box from Time Warner, thanks for the info i gotta copy n paste this[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, well we have a full set up here, don't we? = )

Anyways...an HDMI switcher will run you between $150 - $350...

I don't want you to have to scrap your HTIB...

Anyways..here we go

You'll connect your Time Warner Cable box via component: component can STILL output 1080i...since you'll be watching SD material [channels 01 to 300] and not just HD channels, it's okay for the cable box to be connected analog...we'll also have your cable box connected via RCA audio [l/r] so that we don't have to buy any switch boxes

This will leave your HDMI free for your PS3..

but it still leaves you with a component input lacking since you still have your Wii to hook up...

Part of me wants to say hook up the Wii via composite..as it's the lowest quality signal in your collection [Xbox 360 can output 1080i, PS3 can output 1080i, cable DVR can output 1080i, Wii can only output 480p and no multichannel audio]

Other wise, we'll have to buy a component splitter, which means we'll need another set of component cables, and probably another set of rca cables for the audio output on the switch box...except the only reason you'll need the switch box is for the wii..

Would your girlfriend be offended if you sold the HTIB?

Selling the HTIB and the Wii would give you QUITE the bit of cash for a dedicated A/V receiver, proper speakers, and the right cabling....plus you have HD cable...PS3...Xbox 360..the HTIB is holding your beasts back.

i aint really into the best sound possible though i just like havin a lil power, i think she would be mad if i sold it....

is there a component splitter or is there an component video switch? I had the video switch for my systems last gen, can i get something like that now?

I dont really need the Wii with component cables but when I put regular cables in the tv it looks very grainy and not clear...

There are quite a few component video switchers, they will do what you need them to do..I'm pretty sure you can go to Wal-Mart and pick one up for $20

As for audio..I care more about the sound than the visuals most the time...a big screen doesn't feel like a big screen unless the sound backs it up..so I'd do as much as I can to have it all hooked up to your receiver...

All I know is don't hold back the 360 and PS3, both are capable of rich digital surround sound..

[quote name='Ryan187412']alright so you are saying I can get a video switch from wal mart that has the hd inputs green.blue and red in it?[/quote]
He's giving out great advice!

I'm not sure if you can get a component video switcher at Walmart, I'm sure there's one at the site he linked to www.monoprice.com

That site is excellent and the cheapest place for quality cables.

EDIT:

I found this one, though he may have a better solution.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2&style=

i know he is giving out great advice and he is helping me out big time, i aint trying to knock him, ill check that site out oo

[quote name='sarausagi']Okay, then here is what I honestly suggest you do...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2&style=

Optical [toslink] to coaxial converter

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023601&p_id=2743&seq=1&format=2&style=[/quote]

Good suggestion!

Just an FYI...Radio Shack also sells those converters. I got mine for about $15 awhile back, though I'm pretty sure it was on sale. Just in case you have one nearby and don't wanna wait for shipping.

[quote name='Ryan187412']i know he is giving out great advice and he is helping me out big time, i aint trying to knock him, ill check that site out oo[/QUOTE]

Her, people, her, my name is Sara Usagi..HER..I'm a GIRL

Anyways..haven't had to say that in a while...

Yes..Wal-Mart should have your component switch box

Monoprice has a cheap optical switch if you want more optical inputs too.

[quote name='jasongst']I saw someone recommend this product, and the price is reasonable ($25 from Best Buy):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7196964&st=component&type=product&id=1113534250337

I purchased a MadCatz switch from Gamestop for $30 and it is great, but I don't see it being sold much anymore.[/QUOTE]

yeah - I've seen the pelican component selector at wal-mart for 20 bux:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3910180

Out of stock online but I've seen them in stores.

Guess you could also get the same thing at Best Buy for 21 bux after the gamer gift card.

[quote name='sarausagi']Her, people, her, my name is Sara Usagi..HER..I'm a GIRL

Anyways..haven't had to say that in a while...

Yes..Wal-Mart should have your component switch box

Monoprice has a cheap optical switch if you want more optical inputs too.[/quote]

Sorry about that mam, thank you very much you have been very very helpful!!!

[quote name='dallow']I think I'm "in like" with Sara Usagi.[/quote]

Me too, I wished my girl new this much about electronics lol, but one more quick question, I was checking the one at the walmart website out, and the HD cables that are used to go to the TV look a little bit on the skinny side, will that make a difference cause every HD cable I have are pretty thick....

Anyone can verify anything on this?

like I was reading the review on the monoprice one and one guy said the visuallys were not as sharp and pretty blocky when he ran his 360 thru it....

Don't know what to say, but thicker Component cables are best since they're analog, and since you'll have a lot of cables running around back there. The more sheilding the better.

Doesn't matter for optical or HDMI.

Don't know what to tell you about that review. I don't see how it could make things blocky.
If you want really technical info, check out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=94

The people there are pretty knowledgable.

so I guess the walmart one is out of the question ill try the best buy one at the store and se if i can get a look at the cables...

[quote name='dallow']I think I'm "in like" with Sara Usagi.[/QUOTE]

Nothing sexier than a girl who knows her way around the back side of a receiver...

[quote name='sarausagi']Nothing sexier than a girl who knows her way around the back side of a receiver...[/quote]

and your very witty, I think I'm in love! LOL, maybe a lil off topic but I am finally putting by Wii up now I am already going thru a second update right after the first one, how many updates are there when you first start?

well if I'm not mistaken both the best buy hd switch and the wal-mart one are the same pelican brand deal. I mean you've got a htib setup - it's not like it's some awesome setup that've you've been building/upgrading for 20 years or something - go with the cheap. Now when you're plunking down 20k on a pair of speakers and likewise on power amps then you can shell out the big bux for top notch cabling. Also - "thicker" cables don't necessarily mean anything - many manufacturers just make the plastic thicker - gets done plenty with speaker cables to make it appear that you're getting thicker gauge than you really are.

[quote name='Ryan187412']and your very witty, I think I'm in love! LOL, maybe a lil off topic but I am finally putting by Wii up now I am already going thru a second update right after the first one, how many updates are there when you first start?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how many updates it has, but I do know for some people they take a long time: if your console is new, the updates include the weather channel and internet use [opera] so they are very important updates...I wish I could tell you more but I don't have a Wii [go to the Wii forum on this site and look at their Wii faq, or ask if you can't find the right answer]

You guys are making me feel pretty good about myself.

bread's done
Back