If one does what OTT does enough times, one will become as OTT is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Strell']Intro to Philosophy, and you didn't fucking learn the Allegory of the Cave?

Wtf.[/quote]

I don't think so. Maybe. Care to remind (or tell for the first time ever!) me what it is?

[quote name='prmononoke']I don't think so. Maybe. Care to remind (or tell for the first time ever!) me what it is?[/QUOTE]

PlumeNoir knows more about philo than me, and it's been a while since I took a class, but small rundown:

Plato's Allegory of the cave is that you would be in a cave, chained to the wall, forced to look forward. In front of you in a screen (think like a movie screen). Light shines down from a hole at the top of the cave onto the screen. All the shapes that walk by outside the cave project their shadows onto the screen. You, being chained to the wall, can only look forward at these shapes, and you assume the world is exactly like that.

One day you manage to break free, and you wander out of the cave. The sunlight would blind you for a while, until you gradually managed to adjust and see the world for what it is.

You could even then go back to the cave and tell everyone about the magnificent world, but they would not understand you, wouldn't want to understand, and would choose not to. Only by dragging them out into the light could you change their minds.

That's the gist of it - it's all a metaphor about knowledge and how we learn things. Once you discover something "true," we may have not been able to immediately recognize it.

This goes hand in the hand with his Theory of the Hierarchy of the Forms, which basically said that everything that exists is only an imitation of something perfect somewhere, and thus we cannot ever fully understand something. I.e., for every chair in the world, there's this idea of a chair floating around somewhere, and it is all possible chairs at all possible times. We can only conceive of this meta-chair, but we can never fully see/understand/imitate it.

So if we ever got out of the cave and found the meta-chair, for example, even that is only an imitation of something far more perfect that we cannot ever hope to comprehend.

Kinda trippy if you think about it too long.

[quote name='prmononoke']Thanks.

My dad has a PhD in philosophy, and yeah, it's pretty much useless. Fortunately that isn't my major. Actually, interestingly enough, I got a 50 on my midterm, and he allowed us to write an extra paper to make up for it. I got a 90 on that, so that really helped.

What?[/quote]

Wow, thats pretty cool that your dad has that. I'd go for something like that for myself...screw what the rest of the world says. Of course, I may be a total asshole sometimes, but I'm more cerebral than my rough exterior demonstrates.

Reminds me, I pulled out a college level philosophy book I got at a garage sale years and years ago, and intend to read some in it a little bit. Something, anything to take my mind off of an internal conflict I'm having. Funny how I'm drinking to try and quell that a little but, I know deep down that it will only compound it and put me closer between the hammer and the anvil...only making things worse

Strell, I'm looking through the syllabus, and I can't see the word "cave" anywhere. It might be in our book though. I'll have to check that out when I have the chance. We did talk about the Theory of Forms (whether or not that's the same as what you mentioned, I don't know. I don't recall the word "Hierarchy" being in there), and that was interesting. Mind-blowing stuff, really.

HumanSnatcher, you probably have the right attitude. My sister dropped out of college, and she's doing what she wants, and she's happy, and successful (or about as successful as you can be in her position). Unfortunately, a lot of career choices require college. So, I suppose for now that's what I'm doing. Hopefully before my parents spend too much money on my education, I can sell a script to Troma or something.

Philosophy is the study of saying something before anyone else does -- hence why all of the great philosophers existed thousands of years ago.

Well, one example of what I don't want to do is what an ex-boyfriend did. He went to VCU in Richmond for IT/IS/networking. He hates it with a fucking passion, even though he finally graduated 5 years ago. And he still hates it with a passion. He really wanted to go film school but didn't, because he thought that he wouldn't get anywhere. So I refuse to take stuff that I dislike only because it'll give me a better paycheck. Even if you get paid an exorbetent pay, but hate what you do like nothing else...then theres no point in doing it at all.

Of course, I guess thats what I get for dating someone with such low self esteem and lowly self image...

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']Got R6:V today for $30, gonna try it out in a bit.[/QUOTE]
Well-worth $30.

[quote name='Brak']Well-worth $30.[/quote]
Dumbass at the local flea market had it for that price, so I snatched it up.

Edit, fuck you Roufuss :lol:

[quote name='Roufuss']So, no one wants F.E.A.R for 360 for $30 + shipping? Last chance for anyone who missed me offering it this morning.[/QUOTE]

For that price it is a good deal. If you have never played FEAR it is a really fun FPS (though as I stated earlier it is much better on the PC). I played the campaign through three times and it didn't get old. Also there is still a good amount of people playing it online or there was about a month ago.

Actually you said you're getting an A, so perhaps 'tanked' is too strong a word. :lol:

Just baked up the last of a batch of frozen cookies. Think I'll make a new batch tomorrow. Anybody have a recipe to suggest? Preferably something that can be frozen and uses semisweet choco chips. (Have a big ass bag of them.) Leaning towards making a triple chocolate cookie that I've made before. Bonus is that it will use a lot of the chips.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Mmm...whiskey, sour apple schnapps and sierra mist is a good concoction...

damn this OTT is sllloooowwww....[/quote]

Sounds odd. I'd start drinking if I felt better. :(

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']It's a trap![/quote]

It's just you they hate. They know they're under your skin, so now they do everything to spite you.

You're not paranoid if you're right.

The state liquor control board just called my parents. They want to go check out one of the bars that lost its license. My folks might be going to the slammer.

So they told me where they keep money, and come bail them out if I have to.

[quote name='CitizenB']The state liquor control board just called my parents. They want to go check out one of the bars that lost its license. My folks might be going to the slammer.

So they told me where they keep money, and come bail them out if I have to.[/QUOTE]

is it behind a revolving bookcase which is opened by a loose brick in their cellar?

[quote name='CitizenB']maybe... just maybe[/quote]

is it under the soap? thats where us Polish people hide it. aww shit.

Great news guys: jPoD is STILL looking at CAG even though he's been banned. I guess the IP ban didn't work? Can we do something about this?

He just IMed me because he claimed I was bragging about my car... in a thread about cars. :roll:

Just watched that video Night linked to. :rofl:

Mah life's dream is to drop out of school. to be on girls gone wild. and to have mah baby!

And yeah only real ballers roll with 4 pacifiers.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Great news guys: jPoD is STILL looking at CAG even though he's been banned. I guess the IP ban didn't work? Can we do something about this?

He just IMed me because he claimed I was bragging about my car... in a thread about cars. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I believe you can look at any board but the main deals without being logged in so an IP ban would only keep one out if Cheapy changed all the boards to require registration.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Great news guys: jPoD is STILL looking at CAG even though he's been banned. I guess the IP ban didn't work? Can we do something about this?

He just IMed me because he claimed I was bragging about my car... in a thread about cars. :roll:[/quote]
He was temp banned, not IP banned, wasn't he? You can still look at the forums since you're essentially just unable to log in.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He was temp banned, not IP banned, wasn't he? You can still look at the forums since you're essentially just unable to log in.[/quote]

he got permabanned once he started harassing everyone on XBL and AIM. i dunno what that entails or if there are different types of permabans, etc.

Why is there no show in America like 'Ninja Warrior'? Hell I'd even be happy with an updated American Gladiator type show. (Anyone know if that is aired in syndication?)

Spike should create something interesting along those lines and put up a decent prize for the winner.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He was temp banned, not IP banned, wasn't he? You can still look at the forums since you're essentially just unable to log in.[/QUOTE]

He was temp banned, then IP banned because he was being a dick by harassing other forum members with IMs, Lastfm PMs, and Xbox Live messages about his misery of being banned.

Hay, whats goin on in here
gibsonwinky4wz.gif

Home from work. Still not sure about plans for tomorrow, but now I'm going to be free by 1pm so hopefully I won't miss too much.

Also, I beat NSMB at work today.

Also, fuck philosophy. I dropped my intro course after 2 weeks, this semester.

And finally, my gf made the appointment to get her hair colored Tuesday evening. She's going red, again. It seems it's becoming a yearly tradition with her, and always around the same time. Last year she went red in April, and she tells me it was the same the year before (I didn't know her then).

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']he got permabanned once he started harassing everyone on XBL and AIM. i dunno what that entails or if there are different types of permabans, etc.[/quote]
[quote name='Dead of Knight']He was temp banned, then IP banned because he was being a dick by harassing other forum members with IMs, Lastfm PMs, and Xbox Live messages about his misery of being banned.[/quote]
I don't recall any mod announcements about that. I thought IP bans keep you from accessing the site, so maybe he's at a friend's house and "spying" on CAG. Regardless of how he's doing it, it's pretty pathetic to me. He should find another board (GameFAQ?) to brag about it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't recall any mod announcements about that. I thought IP bans keep you from accessing the site, so maybe he's at a friend's house and "spying" on CAG. Regardless of how he's doing it, it's pretty pathetic to me. He should find another board (GameFAQ?) to brag about it.[/quote]

he was bragging on here about how he got banned from another site...

[quote name='wubb']I believe you can look at any board but the main deals without being logged in so an IP ban would only keep one out if Cheapy changed all the boards to require registration.[/quote]
Now, there's an idea.

[quote name='XchikaXchikaX']he was bragging on here about how he got banned from another site...[/quote]
I know. I'm saying he should brag about being banned on CAG to another forum.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I know. I'm saying he should brag about being banned on CAG to another forum.[/quote]

he ran out of forums on the internet?

Permaban? Sweet.

So I went to see a movie today and stopped at Sears Grand when I was there (next store).

Saw a clearance bin, sifted through it, and found Trace Memory for 6 bucks and Metroid Pinball (With rumble pak, woo!) for 3 bucks.

Woohoo! Also saw Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tournament or something like that for DS for 2 bucks. I might go back and get it tomorrow, since it's only 2 bucks. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back