If the next version doesn't have a UMD drive...

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
How will it play games that are out on UMD??? Obviously, the only answer I can think of is that they will be made available via download.

I've been wanting a PSP for a while, but I feel like I should just wait to get the next revision (PSP 4K or PSP2). But, it will suck if I won't be able to play the current line-up of games.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

If the next PSP has UMD then it will be PSP XXXX... It will never be a true PSP2. in that case, why the hell anyone who has a PSP phat, PSP 2000 or PSP 3000 want anther one?

Just drop the UMD and give us a real PSP2. And no, before you guys argue that PSP2 can have UMD too, please, i rather have a slick sliding/folding text pad with two analog sticks than compromising the space for UMD...

The PSP2 better be sexier than the iPod touch, otherwise it's like hot chick wearing grandma underwear (UMD=Grandma's undy).

[quote name='Serpentor']If the next PSP has UMD then it will be PSP XXXX... It will never be a true PSP2. in that case, why the hell anyone who has a PSP phat, PSP 2000 or PSP 3000 want anther one?

Just drop the UMD and give us a real PSP2. And no, before you guys argue that PSP2 can have UMD too, please, i rather have a slick sliding/folding text pad with two analog sticks than compromising the space for UMD...

The PSP2 better be sexier than the iPod touch, otherwise it's like hot chick wearing grandma underwear (UMD=Grandma's undy).[/quote]
Not everybody has fast enough internet to download all the games they own on UMD.

Simple boys and girls- sony will officially allow UMD ripping and thus piracy. Genious idea, isn't it?

One solution Sony could/should consider; partner up with retail stores (GameStop, Sony Styles, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.) and offer trade-in's...in the sense that you give the store your game (complete, disc and manual, disc only, whatever) and they give you a code similar to the unique codes used for PSN or MS Points.

Too much hassle for the stores, they wouldn't do it. Everyone would trade in all their UMDs and end up upgrading for free while GS will sit with a pile of disks no one will buy. Fail.

UMD was to prevent bootlegging, but it hindered the system a great deal with limited space, so IMO it backfired pretty badly. Now that Sony encrypts their isos and sells them online, I don't see why they'd need a UMD in the next portable.

I HIGHLY doubt that since PSP uses software to run its stuff vs specific chips/cpus (like DS). What, you think PSPs magically got a PS1 chip to run PS1 games or had it all along? Also, how can a PSP run GBA games better than a DS?

[quote name='Skv012a']Too much hassle for the stores, they wouldn't do it. Everyone would trade in all their UMDs and end up upgrading for free while GS will sit with a pile of disks no one will buy. Fail.

UMD was to prevent bootlegging, but it hindered the system a great deal with limited space, so IMO it backfired pretty badly. Now that Sony encrypts their isos and sells them online, I don't see why they'd need a UMD in the next portable.[/quote]
Just because the PSP2 is released doesn't mean the PSP will disappear. Sony, of all people, love to milk their consoles. I'm just saying it's an option that could work well if Sony did it right and planned it out well ahead of time.

[quote name='Skv012a']I HIGHLY doubt that since PSP uses software to run its stuff vs specific chips/cpus (like DS). What, you think PSPs magically got a PS1 chip to run PS1 games or had it all along? Also, how can a PSP run GBA games better than a DS?[/quote]
Good homebrew ;) There are some talented programmers out there and realistically, it doesn't take much to run GBA games so they should perform about the same on a PSP as they do a DS.

Sony isn't releasing more Slims after 3000 hit, so when they upgrade, oldies disappear. And given it'll still be PSP (DSL > DSi), primary functionality will NOT change.

I'll make it blunt- start ripping your UMDs now so you won't regret it later.

[quote name='Skv012a']Sony isn't releasing more Slims after 3000 hit, so when they upgrade, oldies disappear. And given it'll still be PSP (DSL > DSi), primary functionality will NOT change.

I'll make it blunt- start ripping your UMDs now so you won't regret it later.[/quote]
You misread my post i think, i said just because the PSP2 comes out doesn't mean the PSP disappears. As in, when the PS3 came out, you didn't see Sony discontinue the PS2. In reality, the PS2 is still selling extremely well and there will always be late adopters.

PS3 was a next gen system and I highly doubt that Sony will pack PSP2 with some stunning new hardware. Thats all. Its like DS Lite > DSi; just like fat>slim was the same as DSes.

[quote name='Skv012a']PS3 was a next gen system and I highly doubt that Sony will pack PSP2 with some stunning new hardware. Thats all. Its like DS Lite > DSi; just like fat>slim was the same as DSes.[/quote]
The PSP2 will have 2 analog sticks and *hopefully* a better/faster wireless connection for multiplayer and digital downloads. Think iPhone but PlayStation ;)

Oh my god, then it'll be touch-only f**gity little box. No, they better not.

2 analogs, if they're still nubs will be pointless. IMO the one PSP already has is so crappy that it might as well not be there. It just doesnt help controls like an analog should. But like I said in another thread(or maybe here)- what they need to include is qwerty in any physical form and add internal memory for keeping some essentials on regardless of mem sticks. Thats all PSP needs really.

There are a few different ways this can go.

The end of new releases on UMD does not necessarily mean the end of new releases on retail media. The simple expedient is to ship games on DVDs to be sold at retail and transferred to MSPD as needed. This can allow for much larger games that would have needed multiple UMDs, or things like combining a movie at PSP resolution packaged with the game tie-in. Or just loading up the remaining space with demos and trailers. There is no money saved for using less of the disc.

For legacy UMD support there can be an attachable UMD drive that is also a USB device for the PC. This would facilitate reading the game discs directly or transferring them to flash memory. This will allow for a lighter PSP with greater battery life while still supporting UMD usage.

Likely the majority of the existing library would be available for download from the PSN Store. some titles will be allowed to die for lack of interest. Even a company that has dropped PSP development has nothing to lose from participating.

Two things I'd expect to see are a much larger firmware store and a second MSPD slot.

Make all titles downloadable, yes. Make a separate UMD drive, no. Like I said, those of you who are buying psp games right now, start backing up if you plan on getting something like psp2 with possible no-umd-drive spec. Its very easy for sony to just say, "want to play UMDs, keep your old PSP," like they did with European PS3s' backwards compatibility.

[quote name='Skv012a']Make all titles downloadable, yes. Make a separate UMD drive, no. Like I said, those of you who are buying psp games right now, start backing up if you plan on getting something like psp2 with possible no-umd-drive spec. Its very easy for sony to just say, "want to play UMDs, keep your old PSP," like they did with European PS3s' backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Not the same thing at all. Playing games from another platform was a bonus for early adopter but not promoted the same way PS1 compatibility was for the PS2. Sony always knew it wasn't commitment they wanted to make on the PS3 due to the severe expense of the base platform that failed to intergrate PS2 hardware as support items as the PS2 did with the PS1 chipset.

What you've suggested would be far more akin to Sony introducing a new PS2 model that only supported newly purchased downloads with no option to read DVDs. Unless it was intended for some highly specialized rather than mainstream usage, how well do you think that model would do?

In this case we're talking about launching a new version of a platform incapable of accessing the entirety of its existing retail library. Not even as an option for addition cost. This is a formula for severe backlash by the existing user base, whose support is critical to getting this going.

Were Sony to do this, many PSP owners who don't currently use illicit copies would feel fully justified in getting copies of their existing game library off of torrents to use in the new model. Once they get into that habit the temptation to freely download games they don't own in UMD form is far greater than before. This is why Nintendo hates all of the flash memory devices for the DS. Yes, they can be used to make your legit library more portable but once an illicit copy is just a few clicks away the temptation is far greater than Nintendo or Sony wishes to chance.

But at least Sony did something about piracy on psp and ps3 unlike Nintendo. I'd say that at this point, I'm very curious to see what sony will come up with for the next psp. Also note that 3000, despite not being much different from 2000, has been mainstream hack-proof thus far.

If I had to guess, Sony would sell a UMD "ripper" device that connects through the USB port and uses software to encode your rips to only work on your console (or something to those lines).

They'd probably charge around $50-$80, and it would not surprise me if people bought it rather than keeping their old psp's.

I wonder... crunching out a new periphral that may actually fail right alongside a new system might be a very bold move. I just don't see Sony doing that seeing how bad their sales as of late.

[quote name='Bezerker']If I had to guess, Sony would sell a UMD "ripper" device that connects through the USB port and uses software to encode your rips to only work on your console (or something to those lines).

They'd probably charge around $50-$80, and it would not surprise me if people bought it rather than keeping their old psp's.[/QUOTE]

Being the CAG I am, I would just rather keep my PSP fat and/or slim. The UMD doesn't bother me other than it affects battery life. I still have both my launch and a SW slim. The feature set of the next PSP would have to have at least the 2nd nub in order for me to even think about upgrading again.

When you bought your UMD games you bought them for PSP1 and Sony is not obligated to make PSP2 support your PSP1 UMD games. Therefore, when they will make a PSP2, it will not have a UMD drive and it will not support playing isos of UMD games. It will only play PSN downloaded PSP1 and PSP2 games.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']When you bought your UMD games you bought them for PSP1 and Sony is not obligated to make PSP2 support your PSP1 UMD games. Therefore, when they will make a PSP2, it will not have a UMD drive and it will not support playing isos of UMD games. It will only play PSN downloaded PSP1 and PSP2 games.[/quote]
If Sony wants my money, they'll figure out a way to make the PSP2 backwards compatible with my PSP1 UMD games. Whether it be a trade in service, a ripper of some sort, or something else.

[quote name='SynGamer']If Sony wants my money, they'll figure out a way to make the PSP2 backwards compatible with my PSP1 UMD games. Whether it be a trade in service, a ripper of some sort, or something else.[/quote]

If there was a simple way to add PSP1 BC, then they would add it. But, since PSP2 will not have a UMD drive, there is no way to add it without enabling piracy. After what consumers did with PSP1 (with their rampant piracy), I don't think Sony "owes" PSP1 owners anything and I certainly hope Sony will do whatever it takes to prevent piracy on PSP2.

You wanna play your UMD games, play 'em on your PSP1. That's the system you bought them for. Don't think you're entitled to play 'em on any other system. Sony owes you nothing.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']If there was a simple way to add PSP1 BC, then they would add it. But, since PSP2 will not have a UMD drive, there is no way to add it without enabling piracy. After what consumers did with PSP1 (with their rampant piracy), I don't think Sony "owes" PSP1 owners anything and I certainly hope Sony will do whatever it takes to prevent piracy on PSP2.

You wanna play your UMD games, play 'em on your PSP1. That's the system you bought them for. Don't think you're entitled to play 'em on any other system. Sony owes you nothing.[/quote]

This is the attitude (along with the cost) that has the PS3 in last place with the console sales.

I just now rebought a PSP (got a launch unit in 06, sold it to a friend in 07) with the buy a 2000 get a brand new game (The Show) free from Amazon and if Sony wants me to buy anything PSP 2 related in the future, then the PSP 1 games better stinking work on it.

Do you think Sony will, with a firmware update, allow people who have a current PSP to be able to run their UMD games off their memory sticks (with the game being required to be in the UMD drive while in play) if they release a PSP without a UMD Drive?

[quote name='J7.']Do you think Sony will, with a firmware update, allow people who have a current PSP to be able to run their UMD games off their memory sticks (with the game being required to be in the UMD drive while in play) if they release a PSP without a UMD Drive?[/quote]
How would you get the game on the memory stick?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How would you get the game on the memory stick?[/quote]
Like with PC games where you install the game onto the HDD, but need to keep the game in the disc drive to play it. They could include the feature on new firmware if they wanted to. It would be a bonus to all older PSP's and help clear out the older stock. I would certainly love it as it would save me a lot of battery time. It might also get people doing less CFW (those who do it for this feature and don't pirate).

[quote name='nectarsis1']Wow remember when BC gaming was just a pipe dream, I do.[/quote]

Well Sony started the BC bandwagon with the PS2 and PS3 (originally had PS2 BC but still has PS1 BC) on consoles, while Nintendo did it until the DSi (minus the DS phat/lite not playing original Game Boy/Game Boy Color games.)

Sony would be better off putting the games on memory sticks. Loads times are improved instantly vs. UMD, they still have a retail offering, it's smaller than UMD and can surely be fitted into the new PSP2.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well Sony started the BC bandwagon with the PS2 and PS3 (originally had PS2 BC but still has PS1 BC) on consoles, while Nintendo did it until the DSi (minus the DS phat/lite not playing original Game Boy/Game Boy Color games.)[/quote]

The SegaMaster system Power Base Converter would like a word with you ;) But yeah it didn't become common/used well until the PS1 working on PS2 (not PS2/PS3) and now it's almost expected/DEMANDED.

[quote name='nectarsis1']The SegaMaster system Power Base Converter would like a word with you ;) But yeah it didn't become common/used well until the PS1 working on PS2 (not PS2/PS3) and now it's almost expected/DEMANDED.[/quote]
Considering DLC has picked up considerably, damn right i expect BC with every new console. I want to be able to play my older games, yes, but i want to play my DLC as well since i can't sell that.

[quote name='SynGamer']Considering DLC has picked up considerably, damn right i expect BC with every new console. I want to be able to play my older games, yes, but i want to play my DLC as well since i can't sell that.[/QUOTE]

But DLC is not the same as physical media. It's fairly easy to just update DLC to work on a new system, even via emulator. Asking a company to figure out a way to make old physical media work on a new system that lacks the hardware (disc drive) to do so, is kind of silly.

In truth, the idea of backwards compatibility is what continues to stifle Windows while making OSX a better operating system. At some point you have to cut your losses and move on. Sony should do the same with the PSP2.

Why do you think Nintendo has been so dominant in the handheld gaming market? They have almost always supported the previous generation. Gameboy, GBA Color, GBA Advance...if Sony wants my money, i expect my UMD games to work with my PSP2 somehow. Whether it be sending my game in and getting a download code or having it credited to my account, or something else...

[quote name='SynGamer']Why do you think Nintendo has been so dominant in the handheld gaming market? They have almost always supported the previous generation. Gameboy, GBA Color, GBA Advance...if Sony wants my money, i expect my UMD games to work with my PSP2 somehow. Whether it be sending my game in and getting a download code or having it credited to my account, or something else...[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has dropped BC along the way, most recently with the DSi. And that's fine that they may not get your money, but if you want to be realistic about this there's no practical way to play UMDs on a system without a UMD drive. Now maybe they could launch a dramatic trade-in program for UMDs or an external drive that allows you to rip UMDs to the flash memory, but the truth is neither idea would be worth their time or money. People throw a big fit over such things, but what is the end value to Sony? They make far more money reselling you the games via download, or having you buy new games instead. Sony realizes this.

Yes, they might lose a few sales here and there, but in the long run it doesn't matter. People said the same things about the XBox 360, PS3, DS, etc. and they all continue to sell.

[quote name='elwood731']Nintendo has dropped BC along the way, most recently with the DSi. And that's fine that they may not get your money, but if you want to be realistic about this there's no practical way to play UMDs on a system without a UMD drive. Now maybe they could launch a dramatic trade-in program for UMDs or an external drive that allows you to rip UMDs to the flash memory, but the truth is neither idea would be worth their time or money. People throw a big fit over such things, but what is the end value to Sony? They make far more money reselling you the games via download, or having you buy new games instead. Sony realizes this.

Yes, they might lose a few sales here and there, but in the long run it doesn't matter. People said the same things about the XBox 360, PS3, DS, etc. and they all continue to sell.[/quote]
I already highlighted a system where people trade-in via retail or online (mail-in) their games and get a code. Redeem the code and you now have access to that game on your PSN account forever. I hate the idea of DD, but at least i would still be able to play my PSP1 games.

Warner Bros recently put in place a program to get folks to cheaply (I think) switch from HD DVD to Blu-Ray. In fact, it was so reasonable it was cheaper to hunt down the HD DVD and pay the WB fees than it would have been to buy the Blu-Ray in some cases.

There's no reason this couldn't be done here.

No reason except that this is Sony.

Sending in UMDs to get a code would be great. I'd be purchasing a ton of used UMD games on the cheap to send in for such a service. Having access to all of your games without carrying around the UMDs would be very convenient as well. Hopefully such a service wouldn't require the case/manual.

bread's done
Back