If you could only have 5 PS2 games to last for year....

dopa345

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
...what would they be? I'm moving to Georgia for a year for additional training in my job and I'm driving down but my car is rather small so I'll only be able to bring my slim PS2 and five games. I've decided on three out of the five but am having a hard time with picking out another two so I thought I'd solicit some advice from you guys.

disgaea
a sports game

Both would give you tons of replay value if you are in to those genres.

Growlanser: Generations
Kingdom Hearts II

One of the two and I agree with the sports game posted previously. I would prefer Baseball.

If you have the time I'd say grab an unused HD of a fairly large size (maybe 120 to 200 GB) and consider grabbing HDLoader.

Yes, yes, I know, it has its whole "OMG LETZ GRAB ISOS" BS that accompanies it but I'm a huge fan of the ability to take most of my games, rip them to the HD, and simply bring the HD with me to school with a good 30 - 50 games from my collection on it. Then most things I'd like to play are nice and available and I don't have to worry about them getting damaged in transit.

Otherwise I'd say aim for games with either long playtimes that you really want to play, games with some sort of New Game + aspect, has plenty of unlockables that you really want to get, and/or works well as a socialization sort of game.

[quote name='dopa345']...what would they be? I'm moving to Georgia for a year for additional training in my job and I'm driving down but my car is rather small so I'll only be able to bring my slim PS2 and five games. I've decided on three out of the five but am having a hard time with picking out another two so I thought I'd solicit some advice from you guys.[/QUOTE]
Your car aint THAT small. Dump the cases/boxes and put them in a small CD wallet. You can easily get 24 games in there (front/back).
If somehow it really IS true you have zero space, then its time to use up body cavities. Why take only 5 games when youve got ALL that carrying space essentially unused?:lol:

- God of War
- Katamari Damacy

... and that's about it.

I'm at like 100 hours in Disgaia and still not done.

Angel of Darkness supposedly has 400 hours of (horrible) gameplay.

Capcom Classic Collection.

[quote name='Kapwanil']If you have the time I'd say grab an unused HD of a fairly large size (maybe 120 to 200 GB) and consider grabbing HDLoader.

Yes, yes, I know, it has its whole "OMG LETZ GRAB ISOS" BS that accompanies it but I'm a huge fan of the ability to take most of my games, rip them to the HD, and simply bring the HD with me to school with a good 30 - 50 games from my collection on it. Then most things I'd like to play are nice and available and I don't have to worry about them getting damaged in transit.

Otherwise I'd say aim for games with either long playtimes that you really want to play, games with some sort of New Game + aspect, has plenty of unlockables that you really want to get, and/or works well as a socialization sort of game.[/QUOTE] Is there any more information available about this HDLoader thing? I'm a new PS2 owner, so I'm a little late to the game. I checked out the forums on the official HDLoader page, but it seems populated by tons of thugs who are out to download iso's and rip games to their modded ps2s.

Is this software compatible with a slim ps2? How does the HD connect to the ps2? I read that it connects via the ethernet port, but how exactly does that connection work? Don't you need some sort of adapter? All I need is a HD and this software to back up my (official ps2) games right? The only reason to mess with other software is to dive into the shady world of downloading iso's off the net, right?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but maybe it could help the OP as well.

I think theres a slim adapter for the HDD. ps2hd.com

[quote name='Gator']Is there any more information available about this HDLoader thing? I'm a new PS2 owner, so I'm a little late to the game. I checked out the forums on the official HDLoader page, but it seems populated by tons of thugs who are out to download iso's and rip games to their modded ps2s.

Is this software compatible with a slim ps2? How does the HD connect to the ps2? I read that it connects via the ethernet port, but how exactly does that connection work? Don't you need some sort of adapter? All I need is a HD and this software to back up my (official ps2) games right? The only reason to mess with other software is to dive into the shady world of downloading iso's off the net, right?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but maybe it could help the OP as well.[/quote]

[quote name='supadupacheap']Your car aint THAT small. Dump the cases/boxes and put them in a small CD wallet. You can easily get 24 games in there (front/back).
If somehow it really IS true you have zero space, then its time to use up body cavities. Why take only 5 games when youve got ALL that carrying space essentially unused?:lol:[/quote]

I agree - don't bring the cases if space is tight. If you have room for 5 DVD cases you definitely have room for a small binder that holds a ton more... like this one which holds 60:

PSBS60.jpg

[quote name='Kayden']I think theres a slim adapter for the HDD. ps2hd.com[/QUOTE] Thanks ... I did some searching myself and found out some interesting facts. Apparently, since the PS2 Slim doesn't have a HD slot, this stuff isn't compatible. They've released a new version of the same software that allows you to use a USB external HD. While this is great, the load times are about the same since the PS2 only has USB 1.0. Link

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
MLB 2K6
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 06

Alternates:
Resident Evil 4
God of War
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening SE
Mega Man X Collection
Final Fantasy X
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Star Ocean: Til' the End of Time
Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest
Champions: Return to Arms
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes

Guitar Hero
ESPN NFL 2K5
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (online + offline play)
God of War
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (can be loaded onto the HDD)

Winning Eleven 9. I've been playing it recently, and it will keep your attention for a good while because it's so deep.

Disgaea
GTA: San Andreas
Gran Turismo 4
Fire Prowrestling R
Capcom 2D fighter (whichever you prefer)

Each one of those games has over a hundred hours of gameplay minimum.

those would be my 5 desert island discs.

Dragon Quest VIII
Katamari Damacy
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (a bunch of games in that one).
God of War

*insert your favorite sports game*

[quote name='Kapwanil']If you have the time I'd say grab an unused HD of a fairly large size (maybe 120 to 200 GB) and consider grabbing HDLoader[/quote]
Sorry to go off topic, but i have a few questions about the HDLoader.
How big is the HD that came with FFXI?
Will the HD loader work on a PS2 with DRE's?
and How much is the software, and where can it be found?

Warriors - Underated fun game, lots of fighting and beat em up action + Co-op
SMT: Nocturne - Nothing to be said, gaming perfection.

If you're into them, all you need is one mmorpg. I used to play Everquest, and it ended up being the only game I played for 3 years straight.

GTA: SA
Final Fantasy X or Shadow Hearts Covenant (both are very good and will last you a long time)
Dragon Quest VIII
Katamari Damacy
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

bread's done
Back