If you don't have FaceBook, you might be a psychopath.

detectiveconan16

CAGiversary!
Feedback
46 (100%)
A German magazine wrote about how employers and every Bob and Sue expects you to have a Facebook account that is used regularly, if you don't, you're "suspicious!"

I obviously think it's a load of crap. I stopped using Facebook because it got boring, I did not want to "befriend" somebody I didn't know face to face, and I did not find the apps particularly engaging. I have something as simple as a Twitter account and several forum ones, and I'm just okay with that.

It's just convenient, so people probably find it abnormal not to have one. Probably applies more to newer generations, though.

I see why not everyone needs one, but I also don't understand the hostility towards the service. You don't have to add everyone you meet, you don't have to do your drug dealing via status updates, and you can choose what pics you upload. Just a nice way to keep up with friends, events, and news.

I'm with you on this one OP, I don't have a Facebook either. I deleted it about 6 months ago when their privacy became too much BS for me to deal with. We're not mass murders for deleting it, we're just sick of putting up with shit we don't have to.

And if I was in an interview and they asked for my Facebook account, I would just plead the fifth. Seriously, who would want to work for a company that thinks what you do in your free time is going to affect your work life?

[quote name='panzerfaust']
I see why not everyone needs one, but I also don't understand the hostility towards the service. You don't have to add everyone you meet, you don't have to do your drug dealing via status updates, and you can choose what pics you upload. Just a nice way to keep up with friends, events, and news.[/QUOTE]

That's my view on it as well. Great for sharing photos with family and friends. Keeping up with friends who live in different cities/states etc.

I've just mostly ignored friend requests from random people from high school and college that I never gave a shit about the and certainly don't care about keeping up with now.

I don't have or really ever wanted one. It'd be more convenient for certain things if I did, but its just as easy if not easier to call people up and hang out for me.

I would understand Facebook if they allowed T&A. The fact that they deliberately filter it out defies sense. If there is zero chance of any given link leading to T&A, then it's not the internet. I don't know what it is, it might as well be the library catalog search or the fucking company intranet. It's bullshit.

[quote name='dohdough']I don't have or really ever wanted one. It'd be more convenient for certain things if I did, but its just as easy if not easier to call people up and hang out for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't really use it to set things up with local friends at all. It's more for keeping up with family and friends 100s or 1000s of miles away.

I was shitty about calling/emailing people (other than my parents) after moving, so Facebook has definitely made it easier to see whats going on in such people's lives without much communicative effort on my part--which is good as I'm lazy about such things if someone's not near and able to hang out.

While you're not a pyschopath, not having a facebook account is a little bit of a red flag to employers. You don't have to post photos or anything on there but at least have a name and location. Not having a facebook account looks like you're trying to hide something.

I have a fb account I rarely use but it's still there.

[quote name='confoosious'] Not having a facebook account looks like you're trying to hide something.

[/QUOTE]

Ummmm......really? That is just an LOL statement. Whether people use fb or not is a personal option and not required by any measure of society.

Even though Facebook got huge while I was in college, I just never saw the purpose. I know this will be a huge generalization, so please don't get all defensive people. I always felt like FB was just a way for people to make themselves feel like they were more important then they really are. Also, once I became a high school teacher, the choice became even more clear. Some students can be crazy and hold some real grudges, and I do not want to ever have to deal with any of them looking at my stuff or commenting or anything. I know there are ways to block stuff, but at the same time, the effort to go through all that just doesn't seem worth it to me.

[quote name='confoosious']While you're not a pyschopath, not having a facebook account is a little bit of a red flag to employers. You don't have to post photos or anything on there but at least have a name and location. Not having a facebook account looks like you're trying to hide something.

I have a fb account I rarely use but it's still there.[/QUOTE]

Eh?

FB is a timewaster. I find Twitter way more useful than FB.

[quote name='powercreep']Ummmm......really? That is just an LOL statement. Whether people use fb or not is a personal option and not required by any measure of society.[/QUOTE]

Look, I don't give a shit why someone doesn't have facebook. I'm talking about from the view of the employer.

[quote name='bilbobagins3'] Also, once I became a high school teacher, the choice became even more clear. Some students can be crazy and hold some real grudges, and I do not want to ever have to deal with any of them looking at my stuff or commenting or anything. I know there are ways to block stuff, but at the same time, the effort to go through all that just doesn't seem worth it to me.[/QUOTE]

Just don't friend students, and set everything on your profile to be accessible to friends only and you don't have to worry about it.

I'm a college professor and just ignore any friend requests I get from students. And they can't see anything on my profile since everything is set to friends only.

[quote name='Donut2922']
FB is a timewaster. I find Twitter way more useful than FB.[/QUOTE]

Both have their purposed IMO.

I use Facebook as noted to keep up with friends and family who live long away, as well as to follow some bands etc.

Twitter I use solely for following journalists to get links to their stories, bands to get links to stuff they put out etc. Never sent out a tweet and probably never will.

[quote name='confoosious']While you're not a pyschopath, not having a facebook account is a little bit of a red flag to employers. You don't have to post photos or anything on there but at least have a name and location. Not having a facebook account looks like you're trying to hide something.[/QUOTE]

Not participating in social networking is a red flag? People without Facebook are hiding something?

Not sure if serious. :whistle2:k

I post more personal shit on Twitter than Facebook. Figure that. I only keep my Facebook because I don't want people asking why I shot my Facebook in the back of the head and gave it a shove into a woodchipper.

[quote name='blindinglights']Not participating in social networking is a red flag? People without Facebook are hiding something?

Not sure if serious. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

God you people are so naive. This has nothing to do with what I personally think or what you personally think.

I barely use facebook. It's not like I'm some sort of facebook whore. But I am at least mature enough to understand why employers might look at your facebook profile and/or lack of one.

But you know, keep thinking that life is sunshine and butterflies and companies don't care about what you do online.

:roll:

Just like anyone who doesn't have a linked in profile gets ignored in certain industries. Of course, this doesn't apply to you if you work at walmart.

yeah I'm a psychopath. So what?
I'm expected to interact with other people? lol I have a thing called a massive backlog that gets me out of doing that.

I don't have either. I don't understand twitter at all. I've searched twitter a few times for info and it seems pointless. Especially companies using either one, why can't they just send an email if they have a special deal? Am I too old school when I am using email?

As long as my long periods of inactivity don't count against me. My wall gets way too many posts of image memes and inspirational b.s. that I disseminate worthwhile info through simple phone, text and email channels.

Also sociopath? Maybe. Bit of a sensationalistic thing to do to jump straight to psychopath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one and deleted it. I would just see status updates of your friend likes Nike or Levi Jeans and stupid advertising BS. Not to mention some girls would have like/share shit about relationship and love crap.

bread's done
Back