I'm dat Bison, and I hate yo' couch!!! FIGHTER THREAD XLVI!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rofl: @ the new items that Lili and Ling used.
RR, you should put that image in your sig on some image host or something instead of hotlinking it and stealing the sites' bandwidth.

:lol:

awesome. if something on Wii Ware makes you happy, I'm already happy about it >_<

I really wild guess (don't answer me MM... I'm just guessing) Capcom is doing some more rebirths of old good franchises or MvC3....?!?!?

and hell yeah, FT is the OG meng! F the GGT cuz the FT es the OG!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']hell yes! who's getting the ears?

oh and candy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1119489688925043378&hl=en http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1119489688925043378&hl=en[/quote]

Juggling at fast speeds - Check, Usable items - Check, Panda heads - Check, Guns - Check, Big ass boss - Check, Robots - Check, Zombies - Check, etc.

Seems like the makings of a day one buy to me.

[quote name='makstaks']omg kof

http://eyevio.jp/movie/168361 http://eyevio.jp/movie/168361[/quote]

...*dies* Way too much awesome in one sitting for me.

[quote name='Chacrana']KOFXII looks like 8x cooler than SF4.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but at least Street Fighter 4 might actually catch on with people.....

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Yeah but at least Street Fighter 4 might actually catch on with people.....[/QUOTE]

It's true. KOF XII is clearly still going to be relegated to the hardcore. In that regard, I'm definitely glad we've got SF4.

Well, not we... people with arcades in their vicinities. Someday.

Yea, KOF XII isn't gonna do shit here in the US. But it's fanbase will continue to be strong everywhere else where it is still played.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Yeah but at least Street Fighter 4 might actually catch on with people.....[/QUOTE]

Agreed. KOFXII will definitely be regulated to side-tournaments.

KOFXII was such a huge step for KOF in gameplay and it got a lot of play original at arcades/tournaments in my area. Then *poof* people stopped playing and it fizzled out.

I love the KOF series (obviously) but it was awesome and disheartening that it took this long for KOF to get the visual upgrade I've been wanting the series to get for a while. After seeing various KOFXII gameplay videos on YouTube, I'm excited for the new installment but I know I'll be on SF4 like crack.

SF4 is supa crack. Jim you've played it as well, you know what I'm talking about. My buddy and I blew threw almost $35 the first time we played SF4. So good.

P.S: I love Leona's updated/upgraded sprite in KOFXII. Nice to see her get a new (ish) look.

new street fighter art book
StreetFighterTribute_cover.jpg

stupid all chick cover! but it has super awesome artists in it like adam hughes and j scott campbell also whoever did this

StreetFighterTribute_sample01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The SF babes are cover-worthy, but the execution could've been better. I'd be interested for the J. Scott Campbell and Adam Hughes art alone.

Wants : KOF XII, Tekken 6, BlazBlue, them to all be out for consoles.

The Tekken 5 DR soundtrack is pretty decent. I still like my Guilty Gear anthems more though. :)

I love how R. Mika, Elena, and Cammy are all doing splits in that SF cover. Another art book that makes me feel like a perv when I buy it.

Wow, I just saw the King of Fighters XII trailer... Thanks for posting info about that. I'm so excited for the sprite upgrade. Does that make me shallow? :(

Anyway, the next installments for both KOF and SF will likely be nothing new in terms of gaining ground against one another. Street Fighter has always been more mainstream in the U.S., while King of Fighters/SNK has been reserved for tournies here. That's just the way it's been. I think that both series' are moving in the right direction to help expand that audience, though.

[quote name='GuardianE']Wow, I just saw the King of Fighters XII trailer... Thanks for posting info about that. I'm so excited for the sprite upgrade. Does that make me shallow? :(

Anyway, the next installments for both KOF and SF will likely be nothing new in terms of gaining ground against one another. Street Fighter has always been more mainstream in the U.S., while King of Fighters/SNK has been reserved for tournies here. That's just the way it's been. I think that both series' are moving in the right direction to help expand that audience, though.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I don't think they're really competing against each other at this point. I don't think either company does this with regards to what the other company is doing. While I agree Street Fighter has more mainstream appeal, I think that King of Fighters could do okay here as well.

Although I'm sure it won't happen, I feel like SNK would be very, very wise to release KoFXII as a download rather than a disc-based game.

Street Fighter 4, on the other hand, will probably receive a fairly significant marketing campaign (if the early commercials were any indication). I think that this is Capcom's push to really re-grasp some of the former Street Fighter audience, not KoF or SNK Fans. I think that's why it is 3D rather than HD Sprites. HD Sprites would be noticed by people like us and some other hardcore gamers, but a more mainstream friendly 3D graphics upgrade is exactly what Capcom thinks Street Fighter needs in order to stay relevant. As much I hate to say it, I agree. 2D just would not have worked for Street Fighter 4.

[quote name='depascal22']I love how R. Mika, Elena, and Cammy are all doing splits in that SF cover. Another art book that makes me feel like a perv when I buy it.[/quote]

The picture just screams, "Look at our crotch!!!"

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I disagree, I don't think they're really competing against each other at this point. I don't think either company does this with regards to what the other company is doing. While I agree Street Fighter has more mainstream appeal, I think that King of Fighters could do okay here as well.

Although I'm sure it won't happen, I feel like SNK would be very, very wise to release KoFXII as a download rather than a disc-based game.

Street Fighter 4, on the other hand, will probably receive a fairly significant marketing campaign (if the early commercials were any indication). I think that this is Capcom's push to really re-grasp some of the former Street Fighter audience, not KoF or SNK Fans. I think that's why it is 3D rather than HD Sprites. HD Sprites would be noticed by people like us and some other hardcore gamers, but a more mainstream friendly 3D graphics upgrade is exactly what Capcom thinks Street Fighter needs in order to stay relevant. As much I hate to say it, I agree. 2D just would not have worked for Street Fighter 4.[/quote]

See, but that's my point... kinda. They never really were competing against each other in the U.S. The average gamer has hardly even heard of King of Fighters, but when you say Street Fighter EVERYONE and their mother knows what you're talking about. Hell, half the people who DO know SNK now is because of the Capcom vs SNK series. My point is, while they're diverging in paths with their own niche audience, they're still competing with each other over certain markets and certain groups of people. I don't think that those will change with the latest incarnations.

And I seriously doubt that SNK would make a new release as a download. Downloadable games just seem like less of an anticipated release to me, and I know I'm not alone. It may be the direction we're headed for the future, but I don't know if it'd be so advantageous right now.

And in terms of Capcom's goals for SF4, I definitely think you're right. I think they're trying to recapture any lost audience... but at the same time, it's not with the graphical direction, in my opinion. Their Street Fighter games sell well. The Vs. series sold well. The reason to go 3D is that it afforded them the opportunity to advance the look of SF4, both technically and artistically, while maintaining 2D gameplay. I personally feel that the reason they went 3D is because they wanted to break the mold of Street Fighter... find a way to make things look more dynamic and have camera control for Supers... I don't think it's necessarily to appeal to casual gamers (take the EX series as an example, which did not sell well).

I think they took a look at HD sprites and said... "eh, high-res sprites. Been there and done that. We need to change something that can evolve further in the future instead running ourselves into a wall."

[quote name='GuardianE']See, but that's my point... kinda. They never really were competing against each other in the U.S. The average gamer has hardly even heard of King of Fighters, but when you say Street Fighter EVERYONE and their mother knows what you're talking about. Hell, half the people who DO know SNK now is because of the Capcom vs SNK series. My point is, while they're diverging in paths with their own niche audience, they're still competing with each other over certain markets and certain groups of people. I don't think that those will change with the latest incarnations.

And I seriously doubt that SNK would make a new release as a download. Downloadable games just seem like less of an anticipated release to me, and I know I'm not alone. It may be the direction we're headed for the future, but I don't know if it'd be so advantageous right now.

And in terms of Capcom's goals for SF4, I definitely think you're right. I think they're trying to recapture any lost audience... but at the same time, it's not with the graphical direction, in my opinion. Their Street Fighter games sell well. The Vs. series sold well. The reason to go 3D is that it afforded them the opportunity to advance the look of SF4, both technically and artistically, while maintaining 2D gameplay. I personally feel that the reason they went 3D is because they wanted to break the mold of Street Fighter... find a way to make things look more dynamic and have camera control for Supers... I don't think it's necessarily to appeal to casual gamers (take the EX series as an example, which did not sell well).

I think they took a look at HD sprites and said... "eh, high-res sprites. Been there and done that. We need to change something that can evolve further in the future instead running ourselves into a wall."[/QUOTE]

First, I think you're overestimating the popularity of Street Fighter among a casual audience. Sure, everyone knows what it is, but how many people rush out and buy the games when they come out?

Second, I think that as a downloadable title KoFXII would garner the attention of people that would otherwise dismiss it. Alot of gamers check out XBLA and the PSN all the time, and I think the case with KoFXII is that a demo could really sell the game to people. I can all but guarantee you that a 50-60 dollar disc based release of KoFXII in America will flop. If they release for 20 or 30 it would probably do much better, but I don't see that happening. My guess is that it will retail for 40 and garner mediocre sales, but would have done better as a digital format that people would have much more exposure to. I think people have less of a problem with 2D when it's in the downloadable format. Do you think Castle Crashers would have sold as well as a disc-based game?

Finally, the 3D look of Street Fighter 4 works in multiple ways. I still do think that a primary reason for its use was so that a casual gamer wouldn't dismiss it for being 2D right out of the gate. I also think that the graphical update was a way to recapture lost audience. I'm sure alot of gamers wouldn't be happy with another 2D Street Fighter, but I think that an average fan can really agree with what you said and think that Street Fighter has taken the next step forward. I think that if it was 2D, people would still think of it as a "last-gen" game. Also, Capcom hasn't really made HD Sprites (SSF2THD withstanding, because it isn't out) yet, so it isn't "been there, done that" so much as it is "Seen that, don't care for that".

[quote name='DarthPuma']Wow, I've never played any of the games but that KOF12 video was amazing.[/quote]

get your ethics right. 98 deserves a place in your home.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']get your ethics right. 98 deserves a place in your home.[/quote]

11 would be much easier for me to get a hold of.

[quote name='DarthPuma']11 would be much easier for me to get a hold of.[/QUOTE]

Then get ahold of it. It's unlike any other game in the series, and it's my favorite one by far.

[quote name='DarthPuma']11 would be much easier for me to get a hold of.[/quote]

You'd be surprised how easy Dreamcast games are to get on Goozex. No effort needed but a point and a click. Don't get me wrong. Go get XI and enjoy the hell out of it but there are easy ways to get 98 (or 99 if you get it on the DC).

Also, I agree with jim 100%. They can release KOF XII for 1600 points on XBLA and people would jump all over it. 40 bucks (and anything over) will be too much for an "obscure" fighting series. On the other hand, Battle Fantasia released at 60 bucks so I'm sure SNK will look at their sales very closely.

I say KOF is an obscure fighting series because no one but the hardcore play it. Everyone knows SFII, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and DOA. Even Virtua Fighter has a hard time selling any copies. Hell, I didn't even play KOF before I started coming here and I was the only guy that played SamSho in my old neighborhood.

[quote name='Chacrana']Seriously. I paid like $65 to import it back in 2006, and I don't regret it a bit.[/quote]

I paid $40 for it back in 2007 and it was the last 2D fighter I really got into. I had no regrets either.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Battle Fantasia 360 is $50. :)

$50 for KOF XII and I'm jumping all over it. But I'm a fighter fan. Average person probably wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

I don't think many of us would have reservations about forking over $50 for KOF XII... it's just so damn pretty.

I'll be damn surprised if SF IV outsells MK vs. DC. And it's a little sad that something like that would be a surprising outcome.

I'm going out to EB for a Trade 3 Get It Free Weekend. Hopefully they'll have Battle Fantasia, because I want it. Badly.

Also, Futureshop started trade-ins and does crazy nonsense like $22 for Motorstorm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back