I'm dat Bison, and I hate yo' couch!!! FIGHTER THREAD XLVI!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even sans DC, it'd probably sell more though. That's the depressing thing. So I guess, compare sales of SF IV to whatever the last MK game was.

MK Armageddon was a greatest hit, right? So can you imagine SFIV going greatest hit or platinum hit? I cannot, sadly. Though maybe people will go nuts for it again.

The marketing push for SF IV is going to be something crazy. You saw that they had a national TV premiere for JUST a trailer for SF IV?! right? Imagine the console release + movie hype.

It's going to be nuts. I can't go into detail, but I'm sure SF IV will do just fine. Esp when ppl hear about the console additions.

Forget Star Wars in SFIV. Its been done in fighting games. They should try to put Bruce Lee into it (and Brandon). That will get huge press :hot:

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']First, I think you're overestimating the popularity of Street Fighter among a casual audience. Sure, everyone knows what it is, but how many people rush out and buy the games when they come out?

Second, I think that as a downloadable title KoFXII would garner the attention of people that would otherwise dismiss it. Alot of gamers check out XBLA and the PSN all the time, and I think the case with KoFXII is that a demo could really sell the game to people. I can all but guarantee you that a 50-60 dollar disc based release of KoFXII in America will flop. If they release for 20 or 30 it would probably do much better, but I don't see that happening. My guess is that it will retail for 40 and garner mediocre sales, but would have done better as a digital format that people would have much more exposure to. I think people have less of a problem with 2D when it's in the downloadable format. Do you think Castle Crashers would have sold as well as a disc-based game?

Finally, the 3D look of Street Fighter 4 works in multiple ways. I still do think that a primary reason for its use was so that a casual gamer wouldn't dismiss it for being 2D right out of the gate. I also think that the graphical update was a way to recapture lost audience. I'm sure alot of gamers wouldn't be happy with another 2D Street Fighter, but I think that an average fan can really agree with what you said and think that Street Fighter has taken the next step forward. I think that if it was 2D, people would still think of it as a "last-gen" game. Also, Capcom hasn't really made HD Sprites (SSF2THD withstanding, because it isn't out) yet, so it isn't "been there, done that" so much as it is "Seen that, don't care for that".[/quote]

I didn't say that every gamer rushes out to buy Street Fighter, but it is most certainly a more recognizable game... and recognizability leads to sales. It's just how it is. If given a choice, a casual gamer will pick up Street Fighter. When asking someone who dabbles in 2D fighting now and again, they'll pick Street Fighter. Why? Because they've never heard of SNK. They've never gotten into SNK. The local arcades when they were younger never had SNK machines. Because of brand loyalty, you end up trusting a name that you've heard of before.

And I think the Castle Crashers analogy isn't really fair. Castle Crashers is exceedingly short and simple. Fun, but it's an "Arcade" game in the truest sense. That's also why it costs $15. I think people are going to be much less likely to dish out a significant amount of money for an online game. Think about all the people hesitating to purchase Braid because it's $15. And there's no way that KOFXII would be released for under $25 as a download. People who don't know 2D fighting will simply dismiss it as an obscenely expensive "Arcade" game. If you think that making it downloadable will market it better, I think you might overestimate how much people are willing to spend for an arcade game on LIVE. And for a casual gamer? They're going to see Street Fighter II HD Remix, see that it's cheaper, and buy that instead. Many people who don't play 2D fighting games much don't really see or care about the differences.

I absolutely concede about the HD sprites. I thought that SF3:3S sprites were HD, but I never owned a Dreamcast so I probably completely pulled that out of my ass. Regardless, I still believe what I said about the 3D aspect of SF4. Street Fighter 4 is a step forward graphically. They can do things that they couldn't have done otherwise with effects and with a dynamic swiveling camera. Otherwise, the gameplay itself took a step backward... a more simplified approach to attract the casual gamer. Less complicated directional presses, removal of the 360 degree inputs, more generous window for Dragon Punch inputs, removal of parries... THAT's what I consider to be the characteristic that Capcom is using to recapture their old audience.

Either way, I hope I didn't sound like I'm bashing one company or another. I love both of them dearly. I also think that it's about damn time that SNK upgraded their sprites.

[quote name='Azumangaman']I'm going out to EB for a Trade 3 Get It Free Weekend. Hopefully they'll have Battle Fantasia, because I want it. Badly.

Also, Futureshop started trade-ins and does crazy nonsense like $22 for Motorstorm![/QUOTE]

None of the damn Gamestops by me have Battle Fantasia. Only reason I want it from GS is cuz I hvae some credit. Hopefully you are more lucky then me.

[quote name='GuardianE']I didn't say that every gamer rushes out to buy Street Fighter, but it is most certainly a more recognizable game... and recognizability leads to sales. It's just how it is. If given a choice, a casual gamer will pick up Street Fighter. When asking someone who dabbles in 2D fighting now and again, they'll pick Street Fighter. Why? Because they've never heard of SNK. They've never gotten into SNK. The local arcades when they were younger never had SNK machines. Because of brand loyalty, you end up trusting a name that you've heard of before.

And I think the Castle Crashers analogy isn't really fair. Castle Crashers is exceedingly short and simple. Fun, but it's an "Arcade" game in the truest sense. That's also why it costs $15. I think people are going to be much less likely to dish out a significant amount of money for an online game. Think about all the people hesitating to purchase Braid because it's $15. And there's no way that KOFXII would be released for under $25 as a download. People who don't know 2D fighting will simply dismiss it as an obscenely expensive "Arcade" game. If you think that making it downloadable will market it better, I think you might overestimate how much people are willing to spend for an arcade game on LIVE. And for a casual gamer? They're going to see Street Fighter II HD Remix, see that it's cheaper, and buy that instead. Many people who don't play 2D fighting games much don't really see or care about the differences.

I absolutely concede about the HD sprites. I thought that SF3:3S sprites were HD, but I never owned a Dreamcast so I probably completely pulled that out of my ass. Regardless, I still believe what I said about the 3D aspect of SF4. Street Fighter 4 is a step forward graphically. They can do things that they couldn't have done otherwise with effects and with a dynamic swiveling camera. Otherwise, the gameplay itself took a step backward... a more simplified approach to attract the casual gamer. Less complicated directional presses, removal of the 360 degree inputs, more generous window for Dragon Punch inputs, removal of parries... THAT's what I consider to be the characteristic that Capcom is using to recapture their old audience.

Either way, I hope I didn't sound like I'm bashing one company or another. I love both of them dearly. I also think that it's about damn time that SNK upgraded their sprites.[/QUOTE]

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Disc vs. Download.

Totally understandable about the 3s sprites though (they do look great, just not HD great). Also, SSF2THD is the one that is removing the 360 degree inputs. SF4 actually adds another character that uses them (Abel). The directional presses are about the same, to. Like I said SSF2THD is the one that is making it easier to play. They did remove parries in the 3s vein, but they added the MP+MK parry style moves. I think they are called Focus Attacks. So really, SF4 is still complicated for the hardcore fan, but it is a little more pick up and play friendly that 3s (although alot of that has to do with character recognition, but that's a whole other topic).

and Viva new SNK Sprites... ABOUT DAMN TIME! :D

[quote name='DomLando']None of the damn Gamestops by me have Battle Fantasia. Only reason I want it from GS is cuz I hvae some credit. Hopefully you are more lucky then me.[/QUOTE]

I need a straight up opinion from one of you guys on the game, because I was thinking about picking it up. Hopefully someone gets it today so if it's good I can go out and pick it up tonight.

PS:
Go Phils!

I'd rather have KOF XII on a disc than a download, because I want a disc 100% of the time, but if download was the only way to get it... I guess I'd deal.

Also wanting to know about Battle Fantasia. IGN didn't seem to like it, but they're morons. So I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back