I'm just lucky.

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
So i've been having problems with my 360 for a bit.. Far Cry would randomly lock up, much to my dismay. I figured it was an isolated thing, since my other games (DOA4, Oblivion, Condemned, PD:Zero, CoD2, Burnout, etc) have NEVER frozen. However, I rented Full Auto and Table Tennis. Both games randomly freeze. I decide to contact MSoft help over PC. I'm going to cut out the boring stuff..

{Scorch} It's happening with multiple discs, all the discs are brand new.
{Scorch} I've tried them on multiple XBox 360's, it just seems to be my system
{Norman} These are the troubleshooting steps you must do in order to resolve your game freeze.
1. Restart the console.
2. the console must be in a well ventilated area.
3. make sure that your console has a correct time and date.
4. Turn off the console, remove the hard drive, re-attach it after a couple of minutes.
5. Try any kind of game disc.
{Scorch} I was hoping to speak to a real person instead of an automated answering service that looks for keywords. I know the routine, I sell Microsoft products so I field this question all day long from 360 owners.
{Norman} Yes, Im a real person Scorch
{Scorch} OK, great, thanks. Is this a common issue for the 360 to freeze on certain specific games and not others? Or am I just lucky?
{Norman} No
{Norman} Your Just lucky
{Scorch} What are my options?
{Norman} 1. Remove any disc that may be in the tray and restart the Xbox.
2. Make sure that you are using clean discs and that you wipe it off before you put them in.
3. You might want to delete some saved games from the Memory to clear up space and remove corrupted files.
{Scorch} Yeah, none of that helped.
{Norman} Have you try to call our phone support?

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bitching-about-360 or coffin thread by any means.. I just thought it was funny. What do you guys think? It's freezing on random games.. is it on its last leg? Should I go ahead and send it in? It's a launch system, I wonder how much it'd cost to repair it.. $150? Bah. I don't wanna call tech. I'll get outsourced to India or something.

Heh, the guy doesn't even use correct spelling/grammar.

Unless the games that freeze are ones you can't live without, I personally wouldn't send it in, but in your case, considering that you got the 360 and a shitload of games through awesome trade-in deals, $150 doesn't seem too bad.

And I have to ask... After getting the system and games for that cheap, why didn't you get the warranty? :p

how often do you guys get freeze / lock up?

Mine has been bought for almost 4 months... locked up 4 times. Recently I have been playing Oblivioin lik ecrazy and it already contributed two of the locked ups. One was in game freeze, 2nd was about 90% on some loading screen.

[quote name='Scorch']I don't wanna call tech. I'll get outsourced to India or something.[/quote]

Norman was probobly outsourced from India or somewhere else. At my work we have an outsouce center in India and they are required to use "American" names.

You really don't have many options. You could try what I mentioned at another thread, buy another one swap it and return the defective one for money back with the new receipt, call and see if you can still get warranty, pay the $150+, or reboot everytime it locks up;).

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Norman was probobly outsourced from India or somewhere else. At my work we have an outsouce center in India and they are required to use "American" names.

You really don't have many options. You could try what I mentioned at another thread, buy another one swap it and return the defective one for money back with the new receipt, call and see if you can still get warranty, pay the $150+, or reboot everytime it locks up;).[/QUOTE]

They scan the barcodes on the system itself at most places. Already tried it at Walmart and Gamestop with failure.

[quote name='Deadpool']They scan the barcodes on the system itself at most places. Already tried it at Walmart and Gamestop with failure.[/quote]

Check Target or GameRush, I dont believe that they scan barcodes.

[quote name='Trakan']Unless the games that freeze are ones you can't live without, I personally wouldn't send it in, but in your case, considering that you got the 360 and a shitload of games through awesome trade-in deals, $150 doesn't seem too bad.

And I have to ask... After getting the system and games for that cheap, why didn't you get the warranty? :p[/quote]
Multiple reasons. No job at the time, I went half and half with my parents on it as a christmas gift, and I have had a great track record of launch systems with no problems whatsoever (NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2).. come to think of it, the original XBox is the only one i've had a problem with, and that was only because it had a Thompson drive.

Maybe it's my 360's way of saving me from shitty games.. well, Far Cry isn't shitty, it's beautiful.

how often do you guys get freeze / lock up?

Mine has been bought for almost 4 months... locked up 4 times. Recently I have been playing Oblivioin lik ecrazy and it already contributed two of the locked ups. One was in game freeze, 2nd was about 90% on some loading screen.
Depends on the game. With Far Cry, it was completely random. It could be three minutes, it could be three hours. With both Full Auto and Table Tennis, it freezes by the end of a first full race/match. Full Auto demo froze right after the countdown or right before the "1", the Lost Planet demo is completely random now too. The Lost Planet demo worked fine the first day, after that.. kaput.

As far as Oblivion goes, that one's completely random, and very very rarely does it lock up. Between a friend and I (she got all the achievements), it's frozen about five times with Oblivion.. so that's good, considering Oblivion's awesome.

You really don't have many options. You could try what I mentioned at another thread, buy another one swap it and return the defective one for money back with the new receipt, call and see if you can still get warranty, pay the $150+, or reboot everytime it locks up
Right, but i'm not dumb enough to try to get away with that. That's a stupid idea, and you should be smacked. Not cool. Bad Linkin, Bad!

Can't you purchase an extended warranty seperate after you've bought the 360 or something? I'm just waiting for the red ring to pop up.

[quote name='pinkkirby']how often do you guys get freeze / lock up?
.[/QUOTE]

Mine will go into hissy fits as I call it. It will be fine for a day, week, month etc. Then I can use it without a problem and it won't freeze for a day, week, month etc.

Mine normally locks up on Battlefield 2 can't recall it locking up on any other game though.

you can call up and try to get the extended warrenty. They only ask for your serial number so it should work as long as you havent registered it. If it is registered then try it anyways, see if it works.

Interesting feedback on the lock up part. Personally if it's not happening constantly, I don't think I would mind too much.

Oblivion for me is rare, like i said twice so far and I am 42 hours into the game. PC game freeze up on me constantly and consider 360 is just like a pc.... once a while freeze is acceptable. Let's face it, 360 is capable of doing grahpics of even mid-high end PC gaming.... I highly doubt if anyone would have no lock up with their 360 in the system's life time... (GC/PS2 both have 0 lock up for me up-to-date)

I guess your system might have a problem if the lock up is at predictable occasion OR if the locks up are so frequent that effects the playing experience.

The both oblivion freezes for me, 360 ran about 8 hours non-stop. I wonder if clearing cache would help preventing it....

NBA 2k6 locks up for me randomly. Sometimes the game will kind of just freeze for a good 3-5 seconds, then keep going, but other times it will give me a "this disc may be damaged" error and I have to restart, but I bought the game brand new and there is no damage to the disc. It's really weird, if it happens with any other game I'm gonna call in since I'm still under the 90 day. If games are freezing and its not the games or ventilation or anything like that, Microsoft has to take care of it right?

It seems that 360's like to freeze randomly. DOA froze randomly for me and so did Oblivion. Neither happened with the regularity that you describe, but it just seems that these things happen with the 360.

[quote name='Tromack']It seems that 360's like to freeze randomly. DOA froze randomly for me and so did Oblivion. Neither happened with the regularity that you describe, but it just seems that these things happen with the 360.[/quote]

lol my 360 just froze right now playing nba on xbox live...i hate when this shit happens and im winning

[quote name='Americanpierg']lol my 360 just froze right now playing nba on xbox live...i hate when this shit happens and im winning[/QUOTE]
lol i thought you sold your 360 because it sucked no punctuation

[quote name='Scorch']
Can't you purchase an extended warranty seperate after you've bought the 360 or something? I'm just waiting for the red ring to pop up.[/quote]

1-800-4-MY-XBOX

I did this last week and I bought my system in early march. The manufacture date was 1/11/06. As long as you haven't registered the system, you can infact purchase an extended warranty.

$29.90 for one year, 59 something for two.

[quote name='mtxbass1']1-800-4-MY-XBOX

I did this last week and I bought my system in early march. The manufacture date was 1/11/06. As long as you haven't registered the system, you can infact purchase an extended warranty.

$29.90 for one year, 59 something for two.[/quote]

I'm gonna do this when I get paid in a week or two. I hope they'll still do it, mine's a launch system.

Well, I'm glad I'm holding out for a 360... I've learned my lesson with the first Xbox. Until then, I can use my bro's since he never uses it anymore.

[quote name='mtxbass1']1-800-4-MY-XBOX

$29.90 for one year, 59 something for two.[/QUOTE]

I might try this. I think my console registered itself after I hooked it to xbox live though.

I dunno. MTX said he registered his last week and he's been on Live a while. I hope my system didn't automatically register itself.

[quote name='Brak']lol i thought you sold your 360 because it sucked no punctuation[/quote]

no...its not sold yet, its in the process of being sold, couldnt let the auction date be so soon becuase i had to test some accessories that i was planning to sell

[quote name='Scorch']I dunno. MTX said he registered his last week and he's been on Live a while. I hope my system didn't automatically register itself.[/quote]

I think you should be fine. The registration process is done through xbox.com i believe.

I've been on live since March-ish and the system doesn't just register itself. I purchased my system at CC and they scanned the SN, but it still wasn't registered. I never sent in the warranty card either.

It's my hard drive. I unplugged it and tried both Full Auto and Table Tennis and was able to play both.

I guess that means it's time to buy a memory card or something. Or maybe delete some stuff (I only have 4gb free)

THis was happening to me with much more frequency.. and on the same games that you had problems with, Full Auto and Table Tennis but also on Amped and to a lesser degree Top Spin. Table Tennis and AMped I could hardly play at all.

Called microsoft and they told me to send it in (once getting the box). Right before I sealed up the box today I plugged it in to double check there wasn't a disk left in by mistake. When I turned it on.. the red ring was there.

This is the second time I've sent it away. I bought at launch and they sent me a different one that was manufactured a few months later than the first.

Hope this one works. Having 4 or so games unplayable is kind of hard to take. I could use that $200 for alot of things right now.

[quote name='Scorch']It's my hard drive. I unplugged it and tried both Full Auto and Table Tennis and was able to play both.

I guess that means it's time to buy a memory card or something. Or maybe delete some stuff (I only have 4gb free)[/quote]

Format the HD and see if it works.

My xbox 360 broke a month ago with the 3 red lights. I didnt buy the extended warranty and I had the lauch system. When I called the first time, I was told my warranty was expired 15days ago. I was seriously pissed. I was told by the service rep to just be patient and keep calling everyweek or so. 4 weeks later I get a PM from that same service rep on Xbox.com forums telling me he extended my warranty till the end of this month. I posed a thread about 2-3weeks ago about this problem here on CAG and just waited till I could get it fixed. No way was I gonna pay 129$ to get something I didnt break myself fixxed. I finally got the pre-paid Shipping box thursday and sent it out that day. SO hopefully It will be here this week sometime. Im pretty sure microsoft extended everyones warranty because of the # of complaints. So go ahead and Call 800-4-myxbox and see what they can do for you.

Wow, this seems like a big problem with 360's breaking down/not functioning correctly. Needless to say I won't be buying one anytime soon...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Format the HD and see if it works.[/quote]

Don't do that unless you want to lose Hexic and all of the content the HDD is pre-loaded with.

[quote name='Trakan']Don't do that unless you want to lose Hexic and all of the content the HDD is pre-loaded with.[/quote]

You can get Hexic HD back by contacting MS.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']THis was happening to me with much more frequency.. and on the same games that you had problems with, Full Auto and Table Tennis but also on Amped and to a lesser degree Top Spin. Table Tennis and AMped I could hardly play at all.

Called microsoft and they told me to send it in (once getting the box). Right before I sealed up the box today I plugged it in to double check there wasn't a disk left in by mistake. When I turned it on.. the red ring was there. [/quote]
Weird, that sucks. Amped works fine for me, though. No problems with Top Spin, either. I took back Table Tennis and Full Auto (they were rentals).. picked up Amped and NHL2K6, no problems from either.

I guess I'll just buy a new hard drive or a memory card. I was thinking about getting a second HD anyway..

and I won't format my HD.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You can get Hexic HD back by contacting MS.[/quote]

Yeah, I tried that. Not only was it a 2 week long process, but the code they gave me didn't work.

[quote name='Trakan']Don't do that unless you want to lose Hexic and all of the content the HDD is pre-loaded with.[/QUOTE]

ok, besides hexic, and maybe that adidas video, i see nothing else interesting on thats included on the hdd

[quote name='Scorch']Weird, that sucks. Amped works fine for me, though. No problems with Top Spin, either. I took back Table Tennis and Full Auto (they were rentals).. picked up Amped and NHL2K6, no problems from either.

I guess I'll just buy a new hard drive or a memory card. I was thinking about getting a second HD anyway..

and I won't format my HD.[/quote]

I think this is a problem that is lurking. If possible I would keep trying Mircosoft to try to get a replacement.. my experience along with 3 of my friends indicate to me you are heading to the Ring of Fire.. the Ring of Fire...

That's exactly why i'm holding off on informing them of the situation.. I'm gonna call next week and get the extended warranty then wait it out.

[quote name='Scorch']It's my hard drive. I unplugged it and tried both Full Auto and Table Tennis and was able to play both.

I guess that means it's time to buy a memory card or something. Or maybe delete some stuff (I only have 4gb free)[/QUOTE]

Well... if it's the hdd then good for you, but it might also be anything on the system that collaborates with the HDD, say the connector on the 360 isn't working, etc.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Check Target or GameRush, I dont believe that they scan barcodes.[/QUOTE]

I confirmed today that Target DOES NOT scan the systems, just the box. And what did i get out of it? A brand new 360 that wont connect to Live... ugh!

[quote name='Rozz']Wow, this seems like a big problem with 360's breaking down/not functioning correctly. Needless to say I won't be buying one anytime soon...[/QUOTE]

How about if you do buy one, just get an extended warranty like the smart people are doing.

I just returned my 360, it was locking up and I got it yesterday(well tuesday, it is now thursday here cause of timezones). I hope this is ap roblem that will be fixed or addressed.

[quote name='mmn']How about if you do buy one, just get an extended warranty like the smart people are doing.[/QUOTE]

How about i pay $400 for something that works more than 6 months?!

[quote name='Deadpool']How about i pay $400 for something that works more than 6 months?![/quote]:applause:

bread's done
Back