I'm slowly giving up gaming... For a game...

coldgears

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I don't game as much as I used too. I've been too busy playing a real life "game". No seriously, for the last three and a half years i've slowed down my gaming time significantly to geocache. It satisfies my nerdy desire to play a game, while still actually doing it in the real world.

For those that don't know, people post coordinates online to containers hidden throughout the world. The people who hide the containers are those that enjoy the game and want to allow others to find some of there own. Sometimes they are just ammo boxes/lock and locks hidden in the woods. But sometimes people get really creative. Some are hidden in public where you have to be stealthy so a civilian won't see you take it then trash it.

When you find it you sign the log and put it back as your found it.

As a huge fan of achievements i've been playing to get a higher find count.

There's so many out there, it's the biggest sport nobody knows about. A lot of people play this game. One time I was at the beach (two hour drive from my house) I walk up to the general vacinity of the cache and I can't find it. It was hidden in a parking lot. Someone that had previously found it came up to me and said, "geocaching?" and helped me locate it.

www.geocaching.com Is the site for those interested. You can see if there are any near you with the google maps intergation located here...http://www.geocaching.com/map/

Anyone else do this sport? If you have, have you been playing longer then me (3.5 years)?

7737.2010_2D00_04_2D00_04-17.49.28.jpg
8080.2010_2D00_04_2D00_04-17.49.08.jpg
8802.2010_2D00_05_2D00_05-15.43.26.jpg
8080.2010_2D00_03_2D00_10-15.19.23.jpg
6254.2010_2D00_05_2D00_08-17.55.41_5F00_Bensalem_5F00_Pennsylvania_5F00_US.jpg
1440.2010_2D00_04_2D00_24-16.13.42_5F00_Bensalem_5F00_Pennsylvania_5F00_US.jpg
0882.2010_2D00_04_2D00_24-16.13.32_5F00_Bensalem_5F00_Pennsylvania_5F00_US.jpg

[quote name='coldgears']it's the biggest sport nobody knows about. [/QUOTE]

You lost me right there.

[quote name='SEH']You lost me right there.[/QUOTE]
Why you play video games all the time. That is also a sport. Hippocrite.:roll:

EDIT: A few more pictures from one I found yesterday.
ghjghj.jpg
jpg-3.jpg

The hard part is the fact that all the trees in the area has a knot, you don't know what you are looking for... It could be anything. Your first instinct is not to start pulling knots out, you do that out of desperation.

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.

5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

6. an object of derision; laughingstock.

7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.

8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.

9. a sportsman.

10. Informal . a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.

11. Informal . a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.

12. Informal . a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.

13. Biology . an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.

14. Obsolete . amorous dalliance.

No one is comparing this to your glorious wack a ball with a bat hobby. But OP can indeed call his activity a sport, and if you want to argue it -- i really have to ask why you even care about such an ambiguous label.

and yeah this looks pretty dumb IMO. but at least you're having fun OP.

[quote name='coldgears']Why you play video games all the time. That is also a sport. Hippocrite.:roll:.[/QUOTE]

Video games aren't a sport either.

I wouldn't exactly call this a sport, but its good you're having a good time while doing it.

Me? I'll keep playing video games.

I don't know what is more amusing, calling this a sport or the fact that most people I know only know it exists because of that awesome Law & Order: SVU episode where someone geocached some dead rape victims.

Kind of sounds fun, but it's not for me. Glad you're having fun. I don't really get why people are taking shots on you, since some people on here have even weirder hobbies. *shrugs*

As for myself, I, too, am slowly giving up gaming. I went from buying 7-8 games a year, to now 1-2 games a year. Been trading my video gaming time for getting to know people in real life and getting out my house/dorm.

If there was more places in my area I would try this, this sounds like a great way to get exercise and use your mind at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving for two hours to a parking lot is a sport?

fuck... i'm a professional athlete then with my delivery job.

Video gaming a sport????

No...no....no.....video games = activity.

Too many times people try to group activities with sports.

Basically, if you cannot control the outcome....it's an activity. You and I could play a video game right now...let's say street fighter. And just because we're competing against each other and just because we're having to use knowledge and skills and such....doesn't mean we're participating in a sport.

Why?

Because we don't really have control in the product.

I could press a button seemingly at the same time you did and neither of us would know who really performed the last move! Plus, neither of us really "fought" - we had others who don't exist do our bidding.

Unlike horse racing...where the jockey has to control the horse, and a real life event - not a random computer generated event - could occur. Like for example...the horse could decide it wants to just stop. Unless programmed in the game, this wouldn't occur.

Or bowling...where you specifically have to generate the power and spin behind the actual ball...not just place a marker using your wii controller on the screen and move your arms back and forth

Basically...I could type on and on...but unless you're doing it, it's not a sport

I've been geocaching for years now, and I consider it an activity/hobby. It is not a competition in the least bit, and while can be challenging at times, is just for fun. It is a great way to get out and see parts of the country/world you never would have visited before or test yourself (14 mile hikes in South Florida wilderness).

[quote name='coldgears']I don't visit these forums this part of the forums... At all... In all my two years of visiting it's always been the gaming forum.

That being said, He found 11 geocaches, I've found a couple thousand... Huge difference![/QUOTE]

Real differences:

He found 11 in a weekend, didn't compare it or his "achievement" to anyone else in a superior manner, asked if other people play without turning it into a competition or starting a useless argument over the definition of sports.

Do you use a standard GPS like you'd use for a car, or something else?

Someone on another forum said this is a white sport. I don't quite see that.

I don't think I'd be too interested in it.

I'll be perfectly honest- I always thought this sounded kind of interesting... until I saw your pictures. I'm supposed to go poking around some dirty and/or unsafe place for a frew hours... to find bits of plastic and duct tape patches? Yuck. At least stick something neat in with it so I don't feel like I'm trash-hunting... put on a sticker, glue on a plastic rhinestone, draw a doodle... something!

End result... I might go if someone I know is doing it, but only maybe.

oh boy it sure is hard to find something when you're GIVEN the exact geographical coordinates of it.

step up your game op, lose the gps and go geocaching like the pros do.

get on my level.

Thanks bunches, coldgears, for turning me on to geocashing. I'd never heard of it, and now that I've looked into the website, I'm interested. Living on the border of Charlotte, NC -- there's tons of caches around. I think my husband and I would have fun trying to find them.

[quote name='2DMention']Do you use a standard GPS like you'd use for a car, or something else?[/QUOTE]

I played with my cheapo Magellan GPS after I read this article, and it has a way to show the coordinates of where you are. I'm curious if my crappy GPS would be up for Geocaching, but I think I'll be finding out soon.

[quote name='crystalklear64']oh boy it sure is hard to find something when you're GIVEN the exact geographical coordinates of it.

get on my level.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused. I didn't think coordinates were that specific. Not like, could guide you to an individual tree or anything.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']This sounds like a good way to get raped.[/QUOTE]

Well, the easy way to avoid that is to stay away from coordinates that point towards rural West Virginia.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm confused. I didn't think coordinates were that specific. Not like, could guide you to an individual tree or anything.[/QUOTE]
they are. it depends on a bunch of things, but you can get within centimeters of accuracy. within 10 feet is the norm for a decent unit.

so, only 1 big tree within a 10 foot radius of you and the cache is called "knotty woodboner" or something obviously playing off a tree. i wonder were the cache could be.

now, if you're not a massive pussy, you ditch the web, the gps, the everything, and just start turning over rocks and trees in the woods until you find a cache. then you sign it with blood and take a shit in the cache.

[quote name='utopianmachine']
I'm confused. I didn't think coordinates were that specific. Not like, could guide you to an individual tree or anything.[/QUOTE]

They can only get you within a few meters, the rest is up to your own detective skills. The people that are knocking it should try it. It really is alot of fun, and a great way to find places you wouldn't go to otherwise.

I enjoy it.

My kids (between 5 and 10) and I will go out every now and again and look for one. We started off trying to go to different schools or parks in our area to have something else to do - kind of make an afternoon of finding the cache then playing at the park. Its fun, gets us out of the house and is a fun way to explore new areas.

We did it with our Garmin for a while until I got a new phone a while ago. I have a Motorola Droid, and the map function on that is an improvement. But if you have an Android phone and enjoy geocaching I would recommend getting the apps Geobeagle and Find Geocaches. I think the Geobeagle cost less than $2 and it has a nice interface that points in the direction and tells you how far you are and the Find Geocaches I think was free, works with Geobeagle, and does what it says. They may take some of the challenge out of it but for my purposes they've made it a lot more enjoyable.

I've heard of this before. I actually had a friend explain to me what this was awhile ago. Sounds like fun. Maybe I'll try it someday.

[quote name='crystalklear64']oh boy it sure is hard to find something when you're GIVEN the exact geographical coordinates of it.

get on my level.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crystalklear64']
now, if you're not a massive pussy, you ditch the web, the gps, the everything, and just start turning over rocks and trees in the woods until you find a cache. then you sign it with blood and take a shit in the cache.[/QUOTE]

This guy, right here.... he's my hero. You need to go take video of your adventures of geocaching and YouTube them. I'd be the first subscriber!

bread's done
Back