Image Compressor

greenbags125

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Can anyone share a good app to compress images. I want to get it to a smaller size b/c all of my pics are shot in 5MP and I need some to be less than 1 MB. Please don't suggest Photoshop b/c I don't have hundreds of dollars to pay for it. I prefer free apps obviously. Thanks.

[quote name='greenbags125']Can anyone share a good app to compress images. I want to get it to a smaller size b/c all of my pics are shot in 5MP and I need some to be less than 1 MB. Please don't suggest Photoshop b/c I don't have hundreds of dollars to pay for it. I prefer free apps obviously. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Just to make sure you know...JPEG images are compressed using a "lossy" compression algorithm. When you compress images in this way, you lose quality that you can NEVER recover.

If you use "lossless" compression like zip, you likely won't achive any significant compression on JPEG images.

Storage gets cheaper all the time. Your personal photographs are priceless.

[quote name='m6oo']Just to make sure you know...JPEG images are compressed using a "lossy" compression algorithm. When you compress images in this way, you lose quality that you can NEVER recover.

If you use "lossless" compression like zip, you likely won't achive any significant compression on JPEG images.

Storage gets cheaper all the time. Your personal photographs are priceless.[/QUOTE]

I know, I still have the original 5MP pics on my desktop. I just compressed a pic for an avatar. I will never delete my original pics.

bread's done
Back