Impossible Mission DS - $9.99 @ EB/GS until 12/02

Hmm... its not even listed on Amazon.

From your reaction of the low price OP, you seem to like it. Can you give us the lowdown?

This game is a Gamestop exclusive, as is Super Fruit Fall on the DS. I have played it (since I collect DS games), and I'm not going to lie...it's not wonderful, but not completely terrible also. I'd say $10 isn't too bad to give it a shot.

Ken

It's a remake and rerelease of the original Commodore 64 game of the same name. Ironically enough, the original version of this game actually WAS impossible to beat because of a glitch.

Correct that to the NTSC Atari 7800 version.

[quote name='reibeatall']It's a remake and rerelease of the original Commodore 64 game of the same name. Ironically enough, the original version of this game actually WAS impossible to beat because of a glitch.[/quote]
Argh, backordered. :bomb:

Man, I use to play the 64 version as a kid. I was too young to understand how to win the game, but it was fun running around the rooms and playing the code puzzle. :D

"Stay a while. Stay forever!"

[quote name='reibeatall']It's a remake and rerelease of the original Commodore 64 game of the same name. Ironically enough, the original version of this game actually WAS impossible to beat because of a glitch.[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I actually beat it.

The NTSC Atari 7800 version has been confirmed to have a bug which places some of the code pieces underneath computer terminals, which the player cannot search since attempting to do so will access the terminal. Therefore, it makes the game actually impossible to win. There were rumors that Atari was going to release an updated version of Impossible Mission for the 7800 without the bug, however these rumors were put to rest when Atari formally announced the retirement of the Atari 7800 on January 1, 1992. The PAL version of the game, however, was fixed and so can be won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Mission

I'll check it out for $9.99.

I like they've been doing budget ports of classic games on DS. Hopefully this one isn't "enhanced" w/ excessive stylus use.

[quote name='eldad9']The NTSC Atari 7800 version has been confirmed to have a bug which places some of the code pieces underneath computer terminals, which the player cannot search since attempting to do so will access the terminal. Therefore, it makes the game actually impossible to win. There were rumors that Atari was going to release an updated version of Impossible Mission for the 7800 without the bug, however these rumors were put to rest when Atari formally announced the retirement of the Atari 7800 on January 1, 1992. The PAL version of the game, however, was fixed and so can be won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Mission[/quote]

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. I thought I read that the C64 one was the one with the bug.

There are some links to reviews of this game here: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932880.asp

Basically it looks like the DS, PSP, Wii, and PS2 versions are only out in the UK / Europe right now, with the DS version only available in the US at GameStop.

The overall vibe I get from the reviews is that it's a good port of the C-64 game, but that's about it. Not much in the way of enhancements other than graphics and sound... there are three modes that allow you to play with original graphics, new graphics, or original character / new graphics hybrid (I think).

$10 is definitely the right price point, so snap up before it's too late. (and be glad it's not 10 pounds / euros :) )

Despite owning a considerable C64 library, IM was one of the games I missed back in the day so I can't compare the DS version directly to C64. However, being in the mood for a pain-in-the-ass precision platformer I find that I'm enjoying the DS version quite a bit. Don't go in expecting a current-gen, handholding, infinite lives, big guns, Jak/R&C/Mario game and you might have a good time. I thought the $10 was well spent.

bread's done
Back