Impulse weekend sale PC

[quote name='playing mantis']No one should buy Age of Booty for PC. It is broken and Capcom and Certain Affinity have done little/nothing to address the issue.

Some of the issues are: They sold the same cd-keys to several people. You frequently have to re-enter your cd-key every time to start the game (may be related to SecuRom). Game crashes frequently, so it's hard to even finish a match.

These are a few things I gleaned from a few minutes spent on the AoB forums at capcom's website.

The Steam version may be better, but buyer beware! Do your homework before you throw your money away...[/quote]

I was ready to purchase Age of Booty until I read this. Any CAGs experienced these issues?

Rental or not, $5 is less than a bottle of beer, so I got the M4/Space Hack bundle. Age of Booty is tempting, but SecuROM is bad enough to make me never buy anything with it -- I'll wait for a sale on PSN.

there is a lot of misinformation out there, gog isn't the only service with no drm or activations
Aquaria, available on direct2drive has no drm, nor any activations. You can download it, install it, burn it- an infinite number of times. Cryostasis- also on direct2drive, you get a cdkey and the install file. You can make as many copies as you want, you just need that cdkey, which doesn't require an internet connection to input.
as for wanting a physcial disc, it's a personal choice. For me, it is a hassle being tethered to an item, needing that item in order to play a game, I'd rather be able to download the game and play it whenever I want. I prefer my music to be stored on a computer than on a cd.
What if cd manufacturers are wrong about the lifespan of cds and accelerated aging isn't as accurate? What if microsoft goes out of business? What if the pc becomes obsolete?
Such anxiety and fears don't seem much different than worrying about steam going out of business.

[quote name='Kurina']Sadly, you don't. If you check into the TOS, everything is a subscription service, terminable at any time. You really don't own anything when it comes to Steam.
[/QUOTE]

Bullshit. You own the games, you just don't (and for obvious reasons cannot) own Steam.
You could choose to run steam in offline mode forever and be better off for it, but you would not get technical support or access to new features (such as new games.)

[quote name='Skexis']Bullshit. You own the games, you just don't (and for obvious reasons cannot) own Steam.
You could choose to run steam in offline mode forever and be better off for it, but you would not get technical support or access to new features (such as new games.)[/quote]
Read the TOS for yourself before calling bs. It is clear that the service is a subscription service, and you are paying to access these games. If you do something idiotic and Steam shuts down your account, you don't own jack. Your account and your games become inaccessible, because your subscription was terminated. Offline mode works for many games but not all, and is not a valid solution.

You should educate yourself on the subject more before calling BS.

[quote name='Kurina']Read the TOS for yourself before calling bs. It is clear that the service is a subscription service, and you are paying to access these games. If you do something idiotic and Steam shuts down your account, you don't own jack. Your account and your games become inaccessible, because your subscription was terminated. Offline mode works for many games but not all, and is not a valid solution.

You should educate yourself on the subject more before calling BS.[/quote]

Not to get into a semantics argument, but it is NOT "clearly a subscription service". A subscription is something you pay for on a periodic basis, knowing that once you stop paying you lose access.

[quote name='Vegan']Not to get into a semantics argument, but it is NOT "clearly a subscription service". A subscription is something you pay for on a periodic basis, knowing that once you stop paying you lose access.[/quote]

Not really. Any dictionary entry will show that regular periodic payments are not necessary. That is the common model, but not required. The possibility is there for you to also lose access to your account and access to your games. Likely to happen? Not really, but it can happen, because you are not buying your games, simply paying to access a service.

Anyways, this is obviously turning silly now. All I wanted to do was bring to light a few points regarding some other comments. Time to move on as it has been made clear that challenging the awesomeness of Steam is unwelcomed and not up for discussion, and people (those crazy conspirators!) are expected to keep their concerns to themselves.

On a side note I ended up buying the hack and slash deal for $5. A bit of an impulse buy but for $5, I couldn't resist.

Let's hope they never come to your house and confiscate your computer! They're watching you, and they can never be fully uninstalled.

Having already read the TOS, I will humor you.

[quote name='Kurina'] 1. When it comes to Steam, it is a subscription service, and you are not actually purchasing anything you bought. As with most subscription services, if they go under, they are usually not obliged to give you any further content and cease their services.

Quote:
Each Subscription allows you access to certain services, software and other content under the terms of each such Subscription and this Agreement. Additional terms provided with each such Subscription ("Subscription Terms") may apply to the use of a given Subscription, and are incorporated into this Agreement. Further, additional terms (for example, fees and billing procedures) may be posted on http://www.steampowered.com or within the Steam service ("Rules of Use"), and are incorporated into this Agreement. As a Subscriber, you agree to all of the terms and conditions of the Valve Privacy Policy, which are also incorporated into this Agreement. A copy of the Valve Privacy Policy can be found at http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm.[/quote]

I'm not sure what this section is even doing here, because it doesn't pertain to anything you're talking about. Yes, you subscribe to the steam service. Yes, you agree to their policy in return for downloads, updates, or whatever. So?

2. Your subscription is terminable at any time, meaning it can be removed and you are entitled to nothing.

Quote:
Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Steam Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms.

3. Most of all, Valve guarantees you absolutely nothing. If they want to stop their service, they can, and you have agreed to it. If they let things fall apart, you agreed to it.

Quote:
C. NO GUARANTEES.VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

Perfectly understandable given that they are running an online service and may have server outages. You can still run your program in offline mode with no problems. You would see this in any MMO agreement. Nowhere does it say it will deny access. So?

4. Additional key points of the ToS.
Quote:
2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

This is the sole point that has some grain of truth to it. But it's rendered null by my point that you can simply put steam in offline mode and use whatever games you have installed. (Or have backed up.) There's nothing stopping you from using the actual steam program if Valve were to go under. You simply would not have the steam service.

I'd almost believe you're a plant, the way you try to misrepresent the facts.

So any reason I should want the XBL version of Age of Booty over this one? I don't know anyone that plays it on either platforms.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Fine, be paranoid and miss out on an excellent service. I don't care.

[/quote]
Oh, I have games on Steam, as well as Impluse and GOG. So I'm not missing out on anything. It's just I'm a realist. Video game companies deal in economic slow downs and go out of business, just like everyone else.

Steam fans always say that Valve is not like anyone else. That's false. They just have a more rabid fanbase.

I did buy this pack and I'm enjoying these games. I also bought Sacred Gold on GOG this weekend. I have no problem buying digital downloads, it's just I'm not willing to pay a lot of money to trust a service that isn't future proof.

Is Penny Arcade Adventures going to have 3 episodes? Or more?

I'm thinking about waiting until they are all out and there is a deal on the complete set.

[quote name='Sideswiper']Is Penny Arcade Adventures going to have 3 episodes? Or more?

I'm thinking about waiting until they are all out and there is a deal on the complete set.[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to be four episodes, eventually.

[quote name='vherub']there is a lot of misinformation out there, gog isn't the only service with no drm or activations
Aquaria, available on direct2drive has no drm, nor any activations. You can download it, install it, burn it- an infinite number of times. Cryostasis- also on direct2drive, you get a cdkey and the install file. You can make as many copies as you want, you just need that cdkey, which doesn't require an internet connection to input.
as for wanting a physcial disc[/quote]

If that's the case, that's a special situation with those (or a handful of) games on that service. Direct2Drive in general is an activation service like Impulse or Steam or Xbox Live Arcade, or PSN, or...

For me, it is a hassle being tethered to an item, needing that item in order to play a game, I'd rather be able to download the game and play it whenever I want.

"Hassle"? Having to have a fast internet connection with unlimited bandwidth and wait hours or days to redownload something is less of a hassle than just pulling it out of the box?

I prefer my music to be stored on a computer than on a cd.

So? I hardly ever use music from the CD, but I still usually buy it on CDs because the audio quality is better. Now there's no DRM on a lot of audio services, so it's not a good comparison to Steam or the like.

What if cd manufacturers are wrong about the lifespan of cds and accelerated aging isn't as accurate? What if microsoft goes out of business? What if the pc becomes obsolete?

None of those things would have an impact on you being able to play a game with no activation, but would ruin your ability to play anything with activation. PC hardware and software won't disappear if Microsoft does (well...some software will that's become encumbered with activation, but probably most copies of Vista sold even don't have it, but are rather tied to a bios).

[quote name='Vegan']If a service like Steam ever went under, it'd be very easy for them to release patches that disable the authentication request. Why tempt a lawsuit?[/QUOTE]

I hear that claim time and again. They might WANT to do that, but there's no guarantee. There may be no one left at the company with the ability to do that. Even more likely, they probably won't be ABLE to do that legally. That's not their decision to make-it would probably be a breach of all kinds of contracts. It's not going to happen.

And just look at past history here. When activation servers go down, the companies DON'T issues patches like that.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And just look at past history here. When activation servers go down, the companies DON'T issues patches like that.[/QUOTE]

Name one game that requires activation, for which the activation servers are now gone, that cannot be activated or played.

[quote name='Wolfpup']"Hassle"? Having to have a fast internet connection...[/quote]
Still on dial-up?

None of those things would have an impact on you being able to play a game with no activation,
You ignored the part about CD deterioration.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Name one game that requires activation, for which the activation servers are now gone, that cannot be activated or played.[/quote]

Seriously? That's your argument :lol: Reverse that. Name anything that's shut down that still works.

Still on dial-up?

Apparently you didn't read the post you're pulling that from, or are just trolling. You always have a super-space-magic internet connection that pulls GB/s from anywhere with no limit, but the rest of us don't.

You ignored the part about CD deterioration.

:roll: Yes, because that's such a common problem. Stuff from the 60's is just fine. I'm preeeeetty darned sure CDs will last longer than activation schemes.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Seriously? That's your argument :lol: Reverse that. Name anything that's shut down that still works.[/quote]
I think you misunderstood the question. No shit, that there will be problems if a game requires activation, the activation servers go down, and no fix is released.

What I'm saying, is that I am not aware of a single instance where this has happened so far. When you said "And just look at past history here. When activation servers go down, the companies DON'T issues patches like that," you're talking as though there are plenty of historical examples of this happening.

I'm asking you to cite one.

You always have a super-space-magic internet connection that pulls GB/s from anywhere with no limit, but the rest of us don't.
Really, most people do have pretty kickass internet connections now. In the US, anyways. Especially gamers.

All the people who own games on Steam don't seem to mind. Regardless, there are pros and cons to both physical and digital distribution. Don't act like your opinion on it is the sole judgement of the medium. You refute vherub's appreciation of digital distribution, calling it a "hassle," as though you speak for him, or as though his opinions are misinformed or something.

:roll: Yes, because that's such a common problem. Stuff from the 60's is just fine.
CDs from the 1960s, eh? Wow, that's pretty interesting, considering that the format was introduced in 1982.

Also, just for fun, let me toss this into the mix: CDs not only naturally deteriorate without even being touched, but they are also highly susceptible to both wear from normal use, and catastrophic accidental damage (surface scoring, reflective surface scratching, and all-out snapped-in-two breaking, or shattering). Just another disadvantage to consider. Snap your new game DVD, and you're usually SOL. Not so with Steam, for instance. And I won't even start on theft and accidental loss.

With all this in mind, the arguments against digital distribution as "impermanent," as though physical discs are immune to all the ravages of time, are kind of stupid.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Also, just for fun, let me toss this into the mix: CDs not only naturally deteriorate without even being touched, but they are also highly susceptible to both wear from normal use, and catastrophic accidental damage (surface scoring, reflective surface scratching, and all-out snapped-in-two breaking, or shattering). Just another disadvantage to consider. Snap your new game DVD, and you're usually SOL. Not so with Steam, for instance. And I won't even start on theft and accidental loss.[/quote]

You have to be pretty irresponsible for all this to happen though. I have CDs from long ago, including the first one I ever bought nearly two decades ago. I have other CDs I just toss into piles or stack up outside of cases, and they still work great.

Not to mention, CDs can be backed up with a little know how, regardless of copy protection on them.

I agree this argument is pointless, but you make it sound like CDs are the most fragile thing in the world. With proper care (cd binder/cases) they will last you decades. With mediocre care they will last a good while. With pretty irresponsible care, what do you expect? This isn't a product fault, but a consumer one.

[quote name='Kurina']You have to be pretty irresponsible for all this to happen though. I have CDs from long ago, including the first one I ever bought nearly two decades ago. I have other CDs I just toss into piles or stack up outside of cases, and they still work great.

Not to mention, CDs can be backed up with a little know how, regardless of copy protection on them.

I agree this argument is pointless, but you make it sound like CDs are the most fragile thing in the world. With proper care (cd binder/cases) they will last you decades. With mediocre care they will last a good while. With pretty irresponsible care, what do you expect? This isn't a product fault, but a consumer one.[/QUOTE]

Fine, then we come back to natural deterioration. ;)

My point is, nothing lasts forever. You can't fault CDs, or digital distribution, for not finding a way to circumvent this.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Fine, then we come back to natural deterioration. ;)

My point is, nothing lasts forever. You can't fault CDs, or digital distribution, for not finding a way to circumvent this.[/quote]
You can back up CDs and have the data indefinitely. You can backup Steam games but it requires the program to work. If the program goes down, games goes with it. If your CD break, your data still exists and is playable.

I really don't feel Steam will crater anytime soon though. However, I don't like spending tons of money on a subscription service that could, in theory, disappear at any time and leave me with no recourse. Whereas retail, I'm in control.

I still use digital distribution, just sparingly, which is my primary point. If, and a big if, it ever goes down, I'll take the loss of a couple games. I wonder how those who spent hundreds upon hundreds, or thousands even, will feel when all their games are no longer available.

What if we all stopped talking about it? And maybe Wolfpup should upgrade his dialup. Downloading games is no hassle at all, and often faster and easier than traveling to a store to purchase them. I hate when people pull stuff out of their butts just so their argument can have more bullet points.

[quote name='eastx']What if we all stopped talking about it? And maybe Wolfpup should upgrade his dialup. Downloading games is no hassle at all, and often faster and easier than traveling to a store to purchase them. I hate when people pull stuff out of their butts just so their argument can have more bullet points.[/QUOTE]

:roll: Just :roll:

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Guys I Have A Fast Internet Connection Why Aren't You Like Me!? Guys!? Guuuuuuuuys!?[/quote]

Well? Why aren't you? What's your grand excuse? It's not expensive.

130kb/s down is as fast as I can get, and I've got it. It's good enough to game with but downloading modern games can take well over a day, assuming it constantly goes at full speed. Not wanting to buy downloadable-only games because of that is a perfectly valid reason.

Though it's a reason that doesn't (Much) bother me as I still buy games from Steam, but of course there are people who are stuck with even slower internet connections than I am. Main reason I chimed in is it gets my goat when I hear the "Get faster internet, noob" line.

[quote name='eastx']That puts you in the minority though. I didn't know they still offered ISDN lines....[/quote]
I think many people don't realize how common slower internet connections are. Many people in the town I live in either rely on 56k or satellite internet, because there is no other option. According to the phone company, we are at the 'end' of the dsl network, which seems to be true, as many neighbors behind me are told DSL is not available for them.

Despite how much broadband has grown over the past years, there are still many many towns which do not even have that option yet.

Even the fastest DSL is too slow.

And here I complain about being stuck with 1 Mbps as the fastest option in my area.

Yeah, and I do understand how annoying that could be for you guys. It'd be wise to qualify your posts about downloading stuff with that little explanation, because most people still have much better connections.

Even if that were true, "better connections" aren't even close to being fast enough for it to be more convinent to redownload something instead of just sticking in your disc (whether original or a backup from the original download). Not to mention transfer limits that may be put in place (particularly if more and more people are downloading stuff constantly) possible higher prices or limits on the number of times you can redownload something. etc.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Even if that were true, "better connections" aren't even close to being fast enough for it to be more convinent to redownload something instead of just sticking in your disc (whether original or a backup from the original download).[/quote]

I disagree, I constantly download full games from Steam in less time than most modern PC game installations from disc. Those things take FOREVER these days. And I can do something else on my computer while it downloads, as opposed to the disc installations that insist on seizing control of your desktop.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Even if that were true, "better connections" aren't even close to being fast enough for it to be more convinent to redownload something instead of just sticking in your disc (whether original or a backup from the original download). Not to mention transfer limits that may be put in place (particularly if more and more people are downloading stuff constantly) possible higher prices or limits on the number of times you can redownload something. etc.[/QUOTE]

It is quite obviously true. Why should I bother having a discussion with someone who is unaware of the world around him? There are 2 explanations for why someone in the US would have a low download speed: either they are unwilling to pay for a decent internet connection or they live in a rural area. Don't try to tell me that you live in Chicago or Spokane and can't get a real broadband internet connection.

As for download limits, those would definitely blow but they are still theoretical at this point.

[quote name='Vegan']I disagree, I constantly download full games from Steam in less time than most modern PC game installations from disc. Those things take FOREVER these days. And I can do something else on my computer while it downloads, as opposed to the disc installations that insist on seizing control of your desktop.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastx']It is quite obviously true. Why should I bother having a discussion with someone who is unaware of the world around him? There are 2 explanations for why someone in the US would have a low download speed: either they are unwilling to pay for a decent internet connection or they live in a rural area. Don't try to tell me that you live in Chicago or Spokane and can't get a real broadband internet connection.

As for download limits, those would definitely blow but they are still theoretical at this point.[/QUOTE]

No. No no no. I don't care how much you're willing to spend, no normal amount of money will get you an internet connection in league with pulling out your disc.

If you're paying for a T3 or something, AND the server you're pulling from has a ton of available bandwidth fine, but...

What...am I supposed to believe you guys have a modern computer, yet a CD-ROM drive from 1992 that's also built wrong and damages discs (hence the "wear and tear" and slower than Internet speeds)?

It doesn't matter if downloading a game takes a few minutes. It stays on your hard drive and loads nigh instantly from the on, and you will never have to insert a disc to play it. Sigh.

[quote name='Wolfpup']No. No no no. I don't care how much you're willing to spend, no normal amount of money will get you an internet connection in league with pulling out your disc.

If you're paying for a T3 or something, AND the server you're pulling from has a ton of available bandwidth fine, but...

What...am I supposed to believe you guys have a modern computer, yet a CD-ROM drive from 1992 that's also built wrong and damages discs (hence the "wear and tear" and slower than Internet speeds)?[/QUOTE]

Dude, sorry, but there have been some games lately with stupid install times from the disc. I get 1MB/sec (that's megabyte, not megabit) download times off Steam that compare quite favorably to some of those installs. Unfortunately they don't have fiber in my city (both Santa Monica and Pasadena get Fios, but not LA, grr), in which case it would be even faster.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What...am I supposed to believe you guys have a modern computer, yet a CD-ROM drive from 1992 that's also built wrong and damages discs (hence the "wear and tear" and slower than Internet speeds)?[/QUOTE]

All CDs wear, in all CD drives. And outside of them, just sitting around.

And hey, did you ever come up with an answer for this?:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think you misunderstood the question. No shit, that there will be problems if a game requires activation, the activation servers go down, and no fix is released.

What I'm saying, is that I am not aware of a single instance where this has happened so far. When you said "And just look at past history here. When activation servers go down, the companies DON'T issues patches like that," you're talking as though there are plenty of historical examples of this happening.

I'm asking you to cite one.[/quote]

Also, you didn't acknowledge anything about your ridiculous claim of CDs from the 60s.

It kind of makes me think that you don't really know what you're talking about.

[quote name='eastx']It doesn't matter if downloading a game takes a few minutes. It stays on your hard drive and loads nigh instantly from the on, and you will never have to insert a disc to play it. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

Which is a completely different argument from the one you've been making, and an argument which has nothing to do with your "downloads are faster" claim. You can install it from floppy disks and it'll be fast once it's on the hard drive.

[quote name='Vegan']Dude, sorry, but there have been some games lately with stupid install times from the disc. I get 1MB/sec (that's megabyte, not megabit) download times off Steam that compare quite favorably to some of those installs. Unfortunately they don't have fiber in my city (both Santa Monica and Pasadena get Fios, but not LA, grr), in which case it would be even faster.[/QUOTE]

Even still, that's only about 1x DVD speed, and you're paying a ton for it, AND getting lucky with a number of other factors to get that, etc.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']All CDs wear, in all CD drives. And outside of them, just sitting around.[/quote]

No, they don't. Not in any meaningful way. And you KNOW that. You're just trying to come up with some argument to justify this. And even if it were true, which it clearly isn't, as others have already pointed out to you, BACK UPS.

And hey, did you ever come up with an answer for this?:

I already responded to that, but yes, I know of at least one game service that's gone down, and several services from far larger companies for other media that have gone down. I'd assume you know about them too.

Also, you didn't acknowledge anything about your ridiculous claim of CDs from the 60s.

I never made any such claim.

It kind of makes me think that you don't really know what you're talking about.

I'm not the one claiming CDs magically wear out, activation servers never go down, and the internet is faster than locally stored media.

[quote name='Wolfpup']No, they don't. Not in any meaningful way. And you KNOW that. You're just trying to come up with some argument to justify this.[/quote]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3940669.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_rot

For Christ's sake, if you want me to, I'll point out that all matter in the universe is decaying at a nuclear level.

This is besides the point. I never set out to prove that CDs are all falling apart at the seams and will soon be useless. I'm simply saying that you're acting as though games on disc are completely bulletproof, as though buying a disc-based game means that you are guaranteed that it will work forever, no matter what. I find this view preposterous.

And even if it were true, which it clearly isn't, as others have already pointed out to you, BACK UPS.
Most disc-based games released these days cannot be simply, or legally, duplicated. Copy-protection methods often rely on sub-channel data, which simple "back ups" usually can't preserve.

I already responded to that,
No, you didn't.

but yes, I know of at least one game service that's gone down, and several services from far larger companies for other media that have gone down. I'd assume you know about them too.
The question was not whether or not the distribution channels are gone or not. I asked you to name a single game, sold via any currently or previously-existing distribution channels whatsoever, that is now unplayable, due to it not being activatable/authenticatable (inventing words ftw).

You never cited an example.

[quote name='Coffeeedge']
I never made any such claim.[/quote]
Yes, you did:
[quote name='Wolfpup'][quote name='Coffeeedge']You ignored the part about CD deterioration.[/quote]
:roll: Yes, because that's such a common problem. Stuff from the 60's is just fine. I'm preeeeetty darned sure CDs will last longer than activation schemes.[/QUOTE]

I'm not the one claiming CDs magically wear out,
Magic has nothing to do with it.

activation servers never go down,
I made no such claim. I said that there are no reported instances so far, which have resulted in a game becoming unplayable.

and the internet is faster than locally stored media.
Or this.

We were saying that downloads are in many ways more convenient than purchasing and using a disc, when you retorted that games take too long to download. I and most people will disagree with that, hence the proliferation of downloadable games and content.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3940669.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_rot

For Christ's sake, if you want me to, I'll point out that all matter in the universe is decaying at a nuclear level.[/quote]

:roll: As I said, sooner or later, sure, they'll disintegrate, but you can count on them lasting a LOT longer than some activation server.

The question was not whether or not the distribution channels are gone or not. I asked you to name a single game, sold via any currently or previously-existing distribution channels whatsoever, that is now unplayable, due to it not being activatable/authenticatable (inventing words ftw).

You never cited an example.

Uh...Google? Everything sold on the service (not to mention all MMOs that have folded) qualify. It's not "one game" it would have been everything they offered. No, I don't remember the name of the service, but you already know about it, and of course can Google it.

I made no such claim. I said that there are no reported instances so far, which have resulted in a game becoming unplayable.

Of course there are, you choose to ignore them, and the even larger companies that have shut down activation systems for other media.

And no, I did not claim there were CDs in the 60s. Go ahead and quote where I said that (and no, you the quote you listed did not say that).

[quote name='eastx']We were saying that downloads are in many ways more convenient than purchasing and using a disc, when you retorted that games take too long to download. I and most people will disagree with that, hence the proliferation of downloadable games and content.[/QUOTE]

I did not say "games take too long to download", I've said they're much slower to download than to pull off local media. Regardless, I have a problem with activation-as should anyone who likes something well enough to spend money on a "purchase". I don't have a problem with game downloads.

You're also someone who argues just for the sake of arguing, which is too annoying for words. You don't win anything unless your goal was to aggravate everyone until we stopped wanting to talk to you.

[quote name='eastx']You're also someone who argues just for the sake of arguing, which is too annoying for words. You don't win anything unless your goal was to aggravate everyone until we stopped wanting to talk to you.[/QUOTE]

:roll: I didn't start this, and I'm not making outrageous claims.

Uh...Google? Everything sold on the service (not to mention all MMOs that have folded) qualify. It's not "one game" it would have been everything they offered. No, I don't remember the name of the service, but you already know about it, and of course can Google it.
I don't have to Google it. You're the one who has to defend your claims, not me. I am being 100% honest when I say that I do not know what you are referring to offhand, as you repeatedly insist.

You can not just sit there and repeat over and over that this exists, without any evidence.

Oh, and MMOs folding are also a completely different thing, as well. You can't use that as part of your arguments.

Of course there are, you choose to ignore them,
No. You choose not to tell me what they are. How can I "ignore" something, if you won't even tell me what the fuck it is?

And no, I did not claim there were CDs in the 60s. Go ahead and quote where I said that (and no, you the quote you listed did not say that).
Okay. What stuff from the 60s were you talking about?

Please don't try and tell me that you were talking about vinyl records.

Regardless, I have a problem with activation-as should anyone who likes something well enough to spend money on a "purchase". I don't have a problem with game downloads.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't have to Google it. You're the one who has to defend your claims, not me. I am being 100% honest when I say that I do not know what you are referring to offhand, as you repeatedly insist.

You can not just sit there and repeat over and over that this exists, without any evidence.[/quote]

Oookay, then Google it. I'm not the one making the outlandish claim, so I'd think you could spare a trip to Google before claiming activation servers have never been taken down.

Oh, and MMOs folding are also a completely different thing, as well. You can't use that as part of your arguments.

Yeah they're different, but not THAT different. Heck, they're getting PAID to leave those servers up and still don't. Not completely the same thing, but they're yet more servers that get taken down.

At any rate I just thought I'd throw that in there, but plenty of activation servers have already been taken down, and activation is a really new phenomenon.

EDIT: Googled it since you guys won't...Triton was a game service that shuttered. There might be others, and of course far larger companies have shut down several activation systems for other media. It happened close enough to launch that Prey's publisher shipped people physical copies of the game, but they wouldn't have had to, and that wasn't the case for anything else on there.

Okay. What stuff from the 60s were you talking about?

Please don't try and tell me that you were talking about vinyl records.

Of course I was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, CoffeeEdge. Every time he says something, an angel dies. He can't back anything up and we all lose by reading his text. You must let it go.

[quote name='eastx']Seriously, CoffeeEdge. Every time he says something, an angel dies. He can't back anything up and we all lose by reading his text. You must let it go.[/QUOTE]

:roll: Wow. Again, this from the people who believe:

-CDs magically fall apart
-the internet if faster than physical media
-activation servers have never gone down (and apparently never will go down either).

What, exactly, have I failed to back up? Or do you work for an ad agency?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oookay, then Google it. I'm not the one making the outlandish claim, so I'd think you could spare a trip to Google before claiming activation servers have never been taken down.[/quote]
You keep fucking changing the subject. Allow me to repeat myself:
[quote name='Coffeeedge']The question was not whether or not the distribution channels are gone or not. I asked you to name a single game, sold via any currently or previously-existing distribution channels whatsoever, that is now unplayable, due to it not being activatable/authenticatable (inventing words ftw).[/quote]

And again, you're the one who has to back up your statements, not me.

Yeah they're different, but not THAT different. Heck, they're getting PAID to leave those servers up and still don't. Not completely the same thing, but they're yet more servers that get taken down.
We are talking about game distribution, not online gameplay servers. Please, stop changing the subject.

At any rate I just thought I'd throw that in there, but plenty of activation servers have already been taken down, and activation is a really new phenomenon.
For the thousandth time:
Name a game that is unplayable, due to not being able to be activated online.

EDIT: Googled it since you guys won't...Triton was a game service that shuttered.
As I said before, I was never talking about digital distribution services that were shut down, until you randomly changed the subject, because you couldn't find an example to counter my points.

and of course far larger companies have shut down several activation systems for other media.
We're not talking about other media.

It happened close enough to launch that Prey's publisher shipped people physical copies of the game, but they wouldn't have had to, and that wasn't the case for anything else on there.
Prey was not rendered unplayable to people who had bought it on Triton.

Of course I was.
For fuck's sake, dude. Why do you make people play guessing games about what you're trying to say?

Now that that is cleared up, however, allow me to submit that an argument regarding vinyl records is, if I may, completely retarded. Vinyls are a wholly different storage technology, and they can not logically factor into a discussion of optical disc longevity in any way, shape, or form whatsoever.

Ahhh.... remember the days when deal posts discussed deals?

Just all be thankful they didn't make Laserdisk drives for home PC use. I can imagine my shelf looking like an old vinyl collection.

bread's done
Back