In the market for a new car.

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
So our Ford Focus broke down again yesterday and needed $500 in repairs. We have been thinking of trading this car in for a long time but are kinda nervous because we still owe $6000 on this car and think we can only get $3000ish for it. But after yesterday we are done with this vehicle and plan on going car shoping friday. I have three questions for you guys on this topic.

1. What car you driving and are you happy with it? Is there a brand of car you would avoid. My family grew up saying never buy a Ford and after this car im wondering if maybe thats not true. Im trying to do research before buying a car this time and hope most people here agree to avoid certain companies or reccomend others to make it easier.

2. Anyone know how leasing works exactly? I have alot of friends and family who insist its better to lease a car then buy one. If the car breaks down do they fix it or do you? Is it by miles or years or what?

3. Anyone tried a hybrid yet? I love the idea of one and even if they are a little more expensive it seems as if in the long run they might save money.

We would like a newer car but would take something a little older. The only must is good gas mileage and reliabilty. We were thinking a honda civic since we had heard good things about it but they start at $22k so fuck that.

1. i just bought a new 2006 honda accord on labor day weekend and so far i love it. i have only driven hondas, toyotas, and chevys and i don't really like how the chevy drives. i think japanese are reliable and would probably avoid american cars. i also plan on keeping my car for a long time so i wouldn't buy european cars because they will cost a fortune to maintain and repair.

2. i don't recommend leasing unless you plan on switching cars every 2-3 years. even if you do that, you have very limited mileage you can drive each year. if you are the type that like to go on long trips and have a long commute to work, i would not recommend it because they will charge you by the mile if you go over their limit.

3. i haven't done much research on hybrid but i guess a hybrid will only save you money if you like to take road trips and have long commute. only way to save is gas and with the honda accords, the gas mileage is the same as non-hybrid but the hybrid does have more power

[quote name='dude2003']1. i just bought a new 2006 honda accord on labor day weekend and so far i love it. i have only driven hondas, toyotas, and chevys and i don't really like how the chevy drives. i think japanese are reliable and would probably avoid american cars. i also plan on keeping my car for a long time so i wouldn't buy european cars because they will cost a fortune to maintain and repair.

2. i don't recommend leasing unless you plan on switching cars every 2-3 years. even if you do that, you have very limited mileage you can drive each year. if you are the type that like to go on long trips and have a long commute to work, i would not recommend it because they will charge you by the mile if you go over their limit.

3. i haven't done much research on hybrid but i guess a hybrid will only save you money if you like to take road trips and have long commute. only way to save is gas and with the honda accords, the gas mileage is the same as non-hybrid but the hybrid does have more power[/QUOTE]

Good info. Less a ton of people come in here and bash Honda right now we are kinda leaning towards going somewhere that sells hondays. A family member and friend or two have had alot of good things to say about them.

I'm leaning toward leasing myself. Here's how I see it:

Buying a Car for lets says $20,000 for a 7 year loan.
-Roughly 240.00 A month.
-Pay off full car by making min payments 7 years.
-After 7 years you might be able to sell it for a little bit of money.
-You'll be driving the same car for 7 years.
-You try to sell after 4 years so you can buy a new one and you still have 8,500 and your car might be only worth 3k-4k. That leaves 4.5K-5.5K that you will need to roll over to your new car.

Now Leasing. I need to look into leasign a bit more myself but as of now:
-Can only put a certain amount of miles on the car.
-Need full Coverage for insurance.
-You might be driving a better car then one you could afford to buy.
-Car should be under warrenty for as long as your lease. Usually 3 years.
-Down payment is sometimes needed. Usually runs $2,000.00
-Payments will range the same as buying a car payment would.
-You can be driving a New car every 2-3 years.

If anyone can add anythign to leasing please post it. I will be either purchasing or leasing a new car soon also. Thanks.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm leaning toward leasing myself. Here's how I see it:

-Roughly 240.00 A month.
-You try to sell after 4 years so you can buy a new one and you still have 8,500 and your car might be only worth 3k-4k. That leaves 4.5K-5.5K that you will need to roll over to your new car.

If anyone can add anythign to leasing please post it. I will be either purchasing or leasing a new car soon also. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you lease and something on the car breaks do they fix it or do you still have to take it to a shop and pay for it? If they take care of maintance and broken parts then that would honestly save a TON.

When you lease, the dealership takes care of repairs, as it's under warranty. You would be responsible for regular maintenance and damage.

I just bought a new 2006 Civic in July. I love the Civic, but the particular car I have was not one of the best off the line. I'm taking it in for the second time whenever I have a chance (minor things, but things that shouldn't be dealt with at all) - one more issue and I should be able to get a new car due to Ohio lemon laws. But I would have zero reservation going right back to a Civic. However, I'm sick of this apparently-new deal where car warranty repairs cost you a deductible. This isn't fucking insurance. My parents never had to deal with this, but both my fiancee's Ford and my Honda require $50 or $100 to cover warrantied repairs, which is annoying as hell. They waived my deductible when I brought it in the first time (and they better waive it this time) due to the car being so new.

My payments run me $333 a month for 5 years, which includes a 6 year/100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. Civics also hold their value pretty well in the after market. Doesn't require a tune-up for 250k miles.

Leasing a Civic would not have saved me much money. Probably under $50 a month for 3 years (meaning if I can get more than $3000 for a Civic in 5 years, which shouldn't be tough, it cost about the same).

As far as your car still needing to be paid off, a lot of dealers are running model year end deals (which does not affect the Civic as the 07 model is identical to the 06 model), and I know a number of places around here are guaranteeing $X trade-in, including paying off what you still owe.

From a financial perspective, leasing or buying a NEW car are poor decisions. New cars depreciate about 30% within the first year, so you will never be able to sell it for anywhere near what you paid, plus the insurance is higher. Leasing you are basically just renting the car and won't get back ANY of what you paid, but this isn't a bad option if you have the money and you'd like to drive a different car in a couple years since you won't have to pay the full cost of it.

For a hybrid, I'm not sure if they are cost effective in the short term but they may be in the long term, especially if gas prices keep increasing. I think there are certain tax incentives for buying a hybrid as well.

Your best bet financially is probably buying a 1 or 2 year old model of the car you want, where someone else has already eaten the loss of the depreciation but where the car is still close to new.

ADD: Hyundais are actually a pretty solid car right now, they've been improving greatly over the last couple years and have a great warranty program. A lot of Japanese manufacturers make pretty reliable cars like Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Honda. A Civic might be a good option in the same vein as a Focus.

I'm not sure why, but my family has always been Toyota loyal, and my bf's family is pretty Honda loyal. I currently drive a Prius, and I love it. I doubt the good mileage saves that much money, considering the extra initial cost, but good mileage wasn't the only reason I bought it. If you want decent mileage but don't want to pay for a hybrid, definitely consider Honda Civics. I know several people driving different models of Civics, and they all seem to get 30+ MPG. They don't start at $22K; they should start at ~$15K.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']If you want decent mileage but don't want to pay for a hybrid, definitely consider Honda Civics. I know several people driving different models of Civics, and they all seem to get 30+ MPG. They don't start at $22K; they should start at ~$15K.[/quote]Yeah, my Civic cost $19k out the door, I get 30 mpg city, 40 mpg highway, I love it. 400 miles on about $20.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm leaning toward leasing myself. Here's how I see it:

-Roughly 240.00 A month.

If anyone can add anythign to leasing please post it. I will be either purchasing or leasing a new car soon also. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Seven years for a car loan is insane. You will pay so much more intrest. Also, you list full coverage insurance for a lease but not for a purchase. If you have a loan the lender will require full coverage as well.

Also, someone mentioned Hyundai, we have a 2000 Hyundai as our second car. Bought it new and have only had to pay for regular maintenance on it (about 88000 miles on it now). There were a couple of minor problems but the awesome warranty covered them with no deductible. The powertrain is still covered for another 12000 miles or until 2010 and that warranty is included on all Hyundais (bumper to bumper 5 years/60000 miles, powertrain 10/10000) Would definately consider buying one again.

[quote name='lionheart4life']From a financial perspective, leasing or buying a NEW car are poor decisions. New cars depreciate about 30% within the first year, so you will never be able to sell it for anywhere near what you paid, plus the insurance is higher. Leasing you are basically just renting the car and won't get back ANY of what you paid, but this isn't a bad option if you have the money and you'd like to drive a different car in a couple years since you won't have to pay the full cost of it.

For a hybrid, I'm not sure if they are cost effective in the short term but they may be in the long term, especially if gas prices keep increasing. I think there are certain tax incentives for buying a hybrid as well.

Your best bet financially is probably buying a 1 or 2 year old model of the car you want, where someone else has already eaten the loss of the depreciation but where the car is still close to new.

ADD: Hyundais are actually a pretty solid car right now, they've been improving greatly over the last couple years and have a great warranty program. A lot of Japanese manufacturers make pretty reliable cars like Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Honda. A Civic might be a good option in the same vein as a Focus.[/QUOTE]

Ya, see thats what iv been trying to tell her. She really wants a new car and would preffer a 2006 but iv been saying we should get something like a 2002-2005. Buying a new car just seems like paying alot of mark up for the coolness of having a brand new car. While buying an older car is both cheaper and you get the benefit of seeing how those cars have held up over the past few years.

Botticus you said "When you lease, the dealership takes care of repairs, as it's under warranty. You would be responsible for regular maintenance and damage."

Whats the difference between repairs and maintance? Damage naturally is doing something stupid like putting a hole in your radiator after running over a stick. And im guessing something like Oil CHange falls under maintance. But what about stuff like an Enginge problem or cylinders misfiring?

And thanks bms ill look into the Hyundai. Is there a certain year or anything to look out for?

[quote name='MSI Magus']
Botticus you said "When you lease, the dealership takes care of repairs, as it's under warranty. You would be responsible for regular maintenance and damage."

Whats the difference between repairs and maintance? Damage naturally is doing something stupid like putting a hole in your radiator after running over a stick. And im guessing something like Oil CHange falls under maintance. But what about stuff like an Enginge problem or cylinders misfiring?
[/quote]Things that have a maintenance schedule are your responsibility. Oil changes, tire rotations, coolant flushes, etc, etc. I guess we could just simplify it and call it preventative maintenance. These are the things you pay for with or without a warranty, purchase or lease.

Repairs would obviously be something that is wrong with your car through no fault of your own.

With a lease you are paying the depreciation. Leasing allows you to get more car for the same monthly payment. The bad thing is you have limited miles and have to give the car back after 2-3 years. Call your insurance company first and get quotes, you will be surprised at the difference between models. If you lease you will have to have liability limits at 100/300/50.
You can't go wrong with a Honda/Toyota/Nissan.

i disagree with buying a 1-2 year old car. i was able to get a car under invoice and as i am looking at 2004-2005 accords, they are priced higher than how much i paid for my car. it all depends when/where you buy your car because you can get pretty good deals on new cars as well. as for the 7 year loan? i prefer to buy my cars with cash. i hate the fact that paying interest=giving money away. i also hate to owe anyone anything. only debt i have is my mortgage. i personally would not lease a car unless i want to drive a new car 2-3 years later.

[quote name='dude2003']i disagree with buying a 1-2 year old car. i was able to get a car under invoice and as i am looking at 2004-2005 accords, they are priced higher than how much i paid for my car. it all depends when/where you buy your car because you can get pretty good deals on new cars as well. as for the 7 year loan? i prefer to buy my cars with cash. i hate the fact that paying interest=giving money away. i also hate to owe anyone anything. only debt i have is my mortgage. i personally would not lease a car unless i want to drive a new car 2-3 years later.[/QUOTE]

No offense but not many people, especially people in their earlier 20s can afford to pay with cash. ITs also probally part of the reason you got such a good deal on your car.

You have to look at loans in perspective. Most people will be in debt for a good portion of their lives (most predominantly a house, then car, school loans, etc). If you can get a good rate on a loan, it frees up cash for use in things where you can't get a loan or won't get a good rate.

If you're in the rare case where a 6% loan is the worst debt you are carrying, then yeah, I guess it sucks. In my case, I could have spent another $5-$10k out of my savings to knock my car loan down a lot, but not doing so will allow me to pay off one of my fiancee's school loans that is running at a ridiculous 9% interest rate.

Toyotas have an incredibly track record for not needing repair. They also hold their value over time. I have a friend who just sold her 2000 Toyota Celica for almost $10,000 on Ebay. That car is SIX years old and a sports car in the middle of ridiculously high gas prices, etc. I really understand now why my family has always been so big on Toyotas.

As a second example of singing the praises of Toyota - My best friend in high school got a Celica his senior year. He drove it that year, and then almost a year in College. On a trip home one day the engine overheated so he pulled over and, long story short ended up watching his car burn to the ground (some kind of electrical problem, which contradicts my first paragraph but nevertheless). When they collected on the insurance, he pulled a $600 profit on the car because the blue-book value was $600 MORE (after almost 2 years) than what they bought it for. I realize the engine burning contradicts what I said about good repair records, but of probably 10 people I know who have Toyotas (my own family included) that is the ONLY break-down I can remember, as opposed to dozens and dozens of problems I have experienced and witnessed with other cars. Toyotas, in general, just keep going and going and going and going...

If you're wanting something new, I'll agree with everyone who says just lease. Think about your situation now with $6,000 owed on a $3,000 car. If you'd been leasing all this time, your payments probably would have been less and you wouldn't be in a position of having to pay someone $3,000 ($6k - $3k) to take your car from you.

I also agree with the "buy used" philosophy if you can get a good deal that way and you don't just "HAVE" to have a new car. Finally, car dealers and ALL car salesmen are really, REALLY sleazy. They lie about everything - EVERYTHING. You seriously should ignore everything they tell you regarding pricing, value, etc. They will say anything and everything to get you to buy the car and none of it can be trusted. Just decide what the car is worth to you and offer them that. If their mouth is open and words are coming out, they are trying to screw you.

I've driven nothing but hondas in my life and they are very easy cars to take care of. I would recommend a Civic or if you are looking for more space, an accord. Toyota is just as good if not better than Honda and Nissan has re-emerged in the past 5 years producing some fantastic cars.

I drive a 2005 Nissan Altima. My parents bought it brand new, and I've had it for close to a year and have nothing but great things to say about it. for an I4 it is rediculously peppy, drives and handles very well, great interior, great gas, etc. Can't be beat for a first car. The 06s should be lowering in price soon. Not to mention they retain their value very well and are one of the best in that category.

As said before, Hyundai also makes great cars. The Azera and the Sonata are both GREAT cars that I would def. recommend.

I talked to a guy about Hybrids one day, his daughter had one. He told me that the batteries on those cars are VERY pricey, like 4500 dollars.

I have a 99 Ford Ranger and like it, but you sound like you are wanting a family vehicle. It's paid off so I'm going to drive the thing into the ground before I get another car.

After that, I have eyes on maybe a F-150, Focus or a Mustang(I know totally different cars). Sounds like no Ford for you though.

I have heard decent things about G-6s, which is a mid-sized Chevy.

Those foreign car companies these days(like Hondai) put out good cars though, and are pretty good prices as well. I don't think you could go too wrong with a Hondai.

[quote name='Rags']I talked to a guy about Hybrids one day, his daughter had one. He told me that the batteries on those cars are VERY pricey, like 4500 dollars.

I have a 99 Ford Ranger and like it, but you sound like you are wanting a family vehicle. It's paid off so I'm going to drive the thing into the ground before I get another car.
After that, I have eyes on maybe a F-150, Focus or a Mustang(I know totally different cars). Not sure really what I want as it is a few years away. My old neighber owns the local Ford dealership so I tend to stick closer to Ford. He's a car dealer, so I trust nothing he says though.

I have heard decent things about G-6s, which is a mid-sized Chevy.

Those foreign car companies these days(like Hondai) put out good cars though, and are pretty good prices as well. I don't think you could go too wrong with a Hondai.[/quote]

for those of you who wonder how i can pay a car in cash in my 20s, here is how: Rags is a perfect example of who can do it. he has already paid off his car and plan to drive it to the ground. that could be 5-10 years. during this 5-10 year period where he doesn't need to make a car payment, he can save by continuing to "make a car payment". what that meant was continue to pay that $300-$400, not to the bank but to your bank account. if you do that, 5 years later you'll have enough cash to pay for a brand new car. trust me, it is well worth it not to have to worry about owing the bank.

[quote name='dude2003']for those of you who wonder how i can pay a car in cash in my 20s, here is how: Rags is a perfect example of who can do it. he has already paid off his car and plan to drive it to the ground. that could be 5-10 years. during this 5-10 year period where he doesn't need to make a car payment, he can save by continuing to "make a car payment". what that meant was continue to pay that $300-$400, not to the bank but to your bank account. if you do that, 5 years later you'll have enough cash to pay for a brand new car. trust me, it is well worth it not to have to worry about owing the bank.[/QUOTE]

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I hope the thing will last me until 2010 at least. Should have a good chunk by then. Plus, I turn 25 next year so hopefully insurance will be down a good percentage by the time I get a new car.

Just a little more of an example. My student loans are scheduled to be paid off in like 2026 at 130 bucks a month. I pay 200 a month and it drops like 15 or so years of the loan, and drops the payback interest considerably.

Keep in mind, it is rough doing this if you have a kid or two. I have none, so I have a little more liberty to spend.

It does suck how you could owe $6000 on a $3000, cars just drop in value so freaking fast.

[quote name='dude2003']for those of you who wonder how i can pay a car in cash in my 20s, here is how: Rags is a perfect example of who can do it. he has already paid off his car and plan to drive it to the ground. that could be 5-10 years. during this 5-10 year period where he doesn't need to make a car payment, he can save by continuing to "make a car payment". what that meant was continue to pay that $300-$400, not to the bank but to your bank account. if you do that, 5 years later you'll have enough cash to pay for a brand new car. trust me, it is well worth it not to have to worry about owing the bank.[/QUOTE]

Thats unrealistic though. You have to first pay off a car in order to just drive it into the ground. Most people cant afford to just go and drop cash like that. The way it happans for most people is their first car is either a cheap peice of shit that runs between $600 and a grand or at best its a used car worth only like $3k. They drive that car but struggle with fixing parts in most cases untill they are a little older. At this point you again have to buy a cheaper used car or buy a new one on a loan.

You struggle paying off the loan for a long time and then whenever you do thats whenever the car starts falling apart and your constantly paying to fix it. Thus you buy a new car....and again most people have to get a loan. If your lucky at that point in your 30s or 40s you can afford it.

But the truth is, most people simply cannot afford to go and drop cash on a car ever in their life. My parents are approaching 50 and still have to get loans, and out of the 100s of people in my life I only knoe maybe 2 dozen people that are well enough off that they can drop cash vs getting a loan.

Its half because our economy is too fucked and its taking people longer and longer to get a decent start in life. And its half because peoples priorities are screwed up nowdays so kids have to pay for their own college, cars and everything since their parents didnt plan ahead, and kids themselves were too stupid to ever think to create a fund for themself....

Its a viscious cycle thats just getting worse. Im sure by the time im 40 people will have 5 TVs in their house instead of 3 and own 3 cars on average instead of 2......but yet will have saved even less and passed less to their kids.

BTW we dont have a problem getting a truck. Its jus most trucks are gas guzzlers. Really we both love the design of trucks, they just dont seem economic.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thats unrealistic though. You have to first pay off a car in order to just drive it into the ground. Most people cant afford to just go and drop cash like that. The way it happans for most people is their first car is either a cheap peice of shit that runs between $600 and a grand or at best its a used car worth only like $3k. They drive that car but struggle with fixing parts in most cases untill they are a little older. At this point you again have to buy a cheaper used car or buy a new one on a loan.

You struggle paying off the loan for a long time and then whenever you do thats whenever the car starts falling apart and your constantly paying to fix it. Thus you buy a new car....and again most people have to get a loan. If your lucky at that point in your 30s or 40s you can afford it.

But the truth is, most people simply cannot afford to go and drop cash on a car ever in their life. My parents are approaching 50 and still have to get loans, and out of the 100s of people in my life I only knoe maybe 2 dozen people that are well enough off that they can drop cash vs getting a loan.

Its half because our economy is too fucked and its taking people longer and longer to get a decent start in life. And its half because peoples priorities are screwed up nowdays so kids have to pay for their own college, cars and everything since their parents didnt plan ahead, and kids themselves were too stupid to ever think to create a fund for themself....

Its a viscious cycle thats just getting worse. Im sure by the time im 40 people will have 5 TVs in their house instead of 3 and own 3 cars on average instead of 2......but yet will have saved even less and passed less to their kids.

BTW we dont have a problem getting a truck. Its jus most trucks are gas guzzlers. Really we both love the design of trucks, they just dont seem economic.[/quote]

ok i'll tell you how i did it. my parents immigrated here in 1988 and started off with no money. we were on welfare up until 1997 when i was 18 and left for college. we were so poor that i begged and begged for a nintendo but still didn't get one. my toys were basically out of the dumpster from our apartment complex. during college i had financial aide so i was able to save. i didn't get my first car until 2000, when i was 21. that car was a salvaged honda civic with a rebuilt engine. got it for $4,000 and immediately had to change the transmission, clutch, and axels. that set me back another $2,000 so that car was for $6,000. paid that off while working/saving. during this time i was making $6.25 an hour doing data entry. i continued to save up until november of last year when my car finally overheated and i sold it to my co-worker for $500. so in the 5 years i saved, i was able to pay for a new 2006 honda accord ex - $22,000.

this can be done! it just takes discipline and save. of course i would agree with you that people don't have their priorities straight. it is not too late to do it!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thats unrealistic though. You have to first pay off a car in order to just drive it into the ground. Most people cant afford to just go and drop cash like that. The way it happans for most people is their first car is either a cheap peice of shit that runs between $600 and a grand or at best its a used car worth only like $3k. They drive that car but struggle with fixing parts in most cases untill they are a little older. At this point you again have to buy a cheaper used car or buy a new one on a loan.

its half because our economy is too fucked and its taking people longer and longer to get a decent start in life. And its half because peoples priorities are screwed up nowdays so kids have to pay for their own college, cars and everything since their parents didnt plan ahead, and kids themselves were too stupid to ever think to create a fund for themself....

BTW we dont have a problem getting a truck. Its jus most trucks are gas guzzlers. Really we both love the design of trucks, they just dont seem economic.[/QUOTE]

I read you loud and clear. I think I am just lucky that my car works well still. I bought it in 2000 for about 17000 or so, and paid it off about a year or so ago.
It's all luck on the car working longer than others. My parent's car is always breaking on them, mine never breaks and they are the same year car.

Trucks are gas guzzlers, but I like being able to go somewhere and buy something like a Table or something and just throw it in the back. If you only own a car you can't do that, you have to call someone. Trucks are nice to have, but if you have a wife and husband with a child or 2 it is not practicle to own just a truck. Myself being single, have a different stance than someone who is married. I am kinda a slacker and buy things I don't need as well, but there are things that everyone can cut out that are not priorities.

There are people that are on welfare that probably eat better than me and have better TV selection, as well as cell phones. Just choices I have made.
I have hardly anything in my friidge, no cable or satelite, no cell phone, and this winter my house will be like 40 degrees inside. If I had other variables, such as kids I would think different at not be able to do this.

Not bad mouthing you, just my experience. I don't know you or your situation.

Avoid leases if possible because they suck, Japenese cars > American cars

my dad got a Civic Hybrid 3 weeks ago and has yet to fill it up , it's really sweet because it's really nice on the inside with digital spedometer and really nice cd system/radio/etc. and accelerates the same as any other civic plus it's incredibly smooth and quiet.

Civics are really nice as are Mazda 3s. For me my choice was between Mazda 3 and Scion tC(which I ended up with the tC). The new civics are a lot better than the old ones they had a few years ago so try to consider the civic, mazda3, and scion lineup. The scion xB gets good mileage and is extremely roomy but you might not like the boxy design.

[quote name='dastly75']Avoid leases if possible because they suck, Japenese cars > American cars

my dad got a Civic Hybrid 3 weeks ago and has yet to fill it up , it's really sweet because it's really nice on the inside with digital spedometer and really nice cd system/radio/etc. and accelerates the same as any other civic plus it's incredibly smooth and quiet.

Civics are really nice as are Mazda 3s. For me my choice was between Mazda 3 and Scion tC(which I ended up with the tC). The new civics are a lot better than the old ones they had a few years ago so try to consider the civic, mazda3, and scion lineup. The scion xB gets good mileage and is extremely roomy but you might not like the boxy design.[/QUOTE]

I am not much a fan of leases either. You get repairs fixed yeah, but in the first 3 years of owning a car there most likely will not be much go wrong. Plus you are paying what you would pay if you are buying pretty much. Plus, you are very limited on miles.

[quote name='dastly75']Avoid leases if possible because they suck, Japenese cars > American cars

Civics are really nice as are Mazda 3s. For me my choice was between Mazda 3 and Scion tC(which I ended up with the tC). The new civics are a lot better than the old ones they had a few years ago so try to consider the civic, mazda3, and scion lineup. The scion xB gets good mileage and is extremely roomy but you might not like the boxy design.[/quote]The digital spedometer is the great part about the new Civic.
2006-honda-civic-interior.jpg
:D

I got a Dodge Charger a couple months ago. I absolutely love it. There's a TON of room for a 4-door sedan, and pretty good room in the trunk. It's very powerful, yet easy to control. Plus, it just looks badass.

[quote name='dude2003']ok i'll tell you how i did it. my parents immigrated here in 1988 and started off with no money. we were on welfare up until 1997 when i was 18 and left for college. we were so poor that i begged and begged for a nintendo but still didn't get one. my toys were basically out of the dumpster from our apartment complex. during college i had financial aide so i was able to save. i didn't get my first car until 2000, when i was 21. that car was a salvaged honda civic with a rebuilt engine. got it for $4,000 and immediately had to change the transmission, clutch, and axels. that set me back another $2,000 so that car was for $6,000. paid that off while working/saving. during this time i was making $6.25 an hour doing data entry. i continued to save up until november of last year when my car finally overheated and i sold it to my co-worker for $500. so in the 5 years i saved, i was able to pay for a new 2006 honda accord ex - $22,000.

this can be done! it just takes discipline and save. of course i would agree with you that people don't have their priorities straight. it is not too late to do it![/QUOTE]

I dont really see it being possible. I mean, there are things we can cut back on to save money.....but we only make combined $18k a year right now. Bills run even living at home about $600 a month. Food and gas take up a few hundred more. Now if we never ate out, never bought a new video game, never did ANYTHING and kept living at home with my parents and not paying for alot of stuff then in 5 years we could save around $30k. However thats without taking into considerationrandom expenses like the PC breaking, car breaking, oil changes, having to buy Christmas gifts for others, school books, birthdays of family members.

I think its possible, but realistically your only gonna save $10k....and this is with living at home with my parents till im 29 and fiancee is 26....which I dont want to do.

I think its possible to save up and buy a car cutting out alot of extra expenses. But unless you want to live in poverty with no enjoyment its not really possible till your in your mid 30s.

I think the bigger issue with that scenario is that once you pay for your car with cash, great, you have zero money in the bank. So if anything happens to you, your only asset is your car, leaving you with no emergency money. Most people could not, and should not, put themselves in that situation.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I dont really see it being possible. I mean, there are things we can cut back on to save money.....but we only make combined $18k a year right now. Bills run even living at home about $600 a month. Food and gas take up a few hundred more. Now if we never ate out, never bought a new video game, never did ANYTHING and kept living at home with my parents and not paying for alot of stuff then in 5 years we could save around $30k. However thats without taking into considerationrandom expenses like the PC breaking, car breaking, oil changes, having to buy Christmas gifts for others, school books, birthdays of family members.

I think its possible, but realistically your only gonna save $10k....and this is with living at home with my parents till im 29 and fiancee is 26....which I dont want to do.

I think its possible to save up and buy a car cutting out alot of extra expenses. But unless you want to live in poverty with no enjoyment its not really possible till your in your mid 30s.[/QUOTE]

I am in way stating that loans are bad. 99% of the time you must get a loan to do anything. And even if you get rid of one payment, 2 more come the next month. I paid off my car, and a hospital bill for 1000 bucks and student loans come running in. I don't live in poverty, but don't live as good as some do. I give up things I probably should have(heat) for a big screen TV and and Xbox 360. Priorities a little mixed up, but that is just me.
That is why it pisses me off when I see those asses standing at the post office on the second of the month waiting for their welfare checks. They drive a better car than me, eat better, and have mostly nicer things than me, yet they do nothing while I have a 40 hour job and don't even have heat at my house.

I give more credit to someone sho lives in poverty that works than someone who is living in a 100,000 dollar house that is on welfare.

[quote name='Rags']I am in way stating that loans are bad. 99% of the time you must get a loan to do anything. And even if you get rid of one payment, 2 more come the next month. I paid off my car, and a hospital bill for 1000 bucks and student loans come running in. I don't live in poverty, but don't live as good as some do. I give up things I probably should have(heat) for a big screen TV and and Xbox 360. Priorities a little mixed up, but that is just me.
That is why it pisses me off when I see those asses standing at the post office on the second of the month waiting for their welfare checks. They drive a better car than me, eat better, and have mostly nicer things than me, yet they do nothing while I have a 40 hour job and don't even have heat at my house.

I give more credit to someone sho lives in poverty that works than someone who is living in a 100,000 dollar house that is on welfare.[/QUOTE]

Very very true. Though not everyone with goverment aid is that way. I get SSI but it only equals $500 a month and the most anyone with it can get is $600. Thats not enough to live on my own and worse when me and my fiancee get married I loose all my benefits since she makes $18k a year.....but after taxes that freaking drops to like $12-$13k a year. I waste a fair amount of money on stuff to keep myself entertained and happy but it really makes no difference. Im in school to try and get ahead in life and find a job I can do....and iv improved physically and mentally to where I can work some jobs.....but all this is just set so hardcore against me that its pretty much obvious that they want to keep ALOT of Welfare/SSI receipants living on welfare/SSI and never get ahead in life.

Like you said. There are alot of jackasses on welfare who life way above the rest of us....but some of us are poverty or boarderline.

Anyways ON TOPIC. Anyone have reccomendations for trading in the car. Looking at Hyundai im really impressed and think they look like they have some good reasonable priced vehicles. However, I doubt that the Hyundai dealership is going to be intreasted in buying my Ford Focus ;)

Im guessing my best bet is to go to dealer who sells multiple types of cars and buy a Hyundai from them and sell the Focus there?

Also, anyone have any clue what I should aim to get from the vehicle. I can give more info when my fiancee gets home but its a 2004 Ford Focus with I believe about 80k miles on it. Fiancees mom said she thinks $3,000 is what we will get....but again i have no clue. Id like to know before going to a dealership about what I should aim for that way if a guy offers me $2k i know its way to low or if im offered $5k I know to jump all over it.

Thanks again to everyone in this topic. I really love this damn site! Most boards you get 50 jerks for every decent person and it takes days to get any good info. Seems here its the opposite....iv found a few people like roufas who seem to enjoy pissing others off but most of you are helpfull and fast.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I dont really see it being possible. I mean, there are things we can cut back on to save money.....but we only make combined $18k a year right now. Bills run even living at home about $600 a month. Food and gas take up a few hundred more. Now if we never ate out, never bought a new video game, never did ANYTHING and kept living at home with my parents and not paying for alot of stuff then in 5 years we could save around $30k. However thats without taking into considerationrandom expenses like the PC breaking, car breaking, oil changes, having to buy Christmas gifts for others, school books, birthdays of family members.

I think its possible to save up and buy a car cutting out alot of extra expenses. But unless you want to live in poverty with no enjoyment its not really possible till your in your mid 30s.[/quote]

i guess it's different to make $18k combined. i, however, have never had xmas presents nor celebrate birthdays (no presents either). buy clothes every 5+ years. eat out once a week; bring lunch to work. my jogging shoes are 10 years old, my weekend shoes are 8 years old, and my work shoes (have to wear dress shirts/slacks/dress shoes) are 3 years old. i simply use everything until it cannot work anymore. i guess this is how i can save my cash.

for those who said you don't want to put all your savings to the car, i agree. but if you have paid off your car and continue to put the would be car payment away, that would be your car savings and not emergency savings.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyways ON TOPIC. Anyone have reccomendations for trading in the car. Looking at Hyundai im really impressed and think they look like they have some good reasonable priced vehicles. However, I doubt that the Hyundai dealership is going to be intreasted in buying my Ford Focus ;)

Im guessing my best bet is to go to dealer who sells multiple types of cars and buy a Hyundai from them and sell the Focus there?

Also, anyone have any clue what I should aim to get from the vehicle. I can give more info when my fiancee gets home but its a 2004 Ford Focus with I believe about 80k miles on it. Fiancees mom said she thinks $3,000 is what we will get....but again i have no clue. Id like to know before going to a dealership about what I should aim for that way if a guy offers me $2k i know its way to low or if im offered $5k I know to jump all over it.

Thanks again to everyone in this topic. I really love this damn site! Most boards you get 50 jerks for every decent person and it takes days to get any good info. Seems here its the opposite....iv found a few people like roufas who seem to enjoy pissing others off but most of you are helpfull and fast.[/quote]

i just checked kbb.com for detroit, mi for the trade in value of the most basic 2004 ford focus with 80k miles - it's around $4,800 in good condition and $3,900 on fair so $3k is on the very low end. you might want to talk to them to make them give you more for your car.

[quote name='dude2003']i guess it's different to make $18k combined. i, however, have never had xmas presents nor celebrate birthdays (no presents either). buy clothes every 5+ years. eat out once a week; bring lunch to work. my jogging shoes are 10 years old, my weekend shoes are 8 years old, and my work shoes (have to wear dress shirts/slacks/dress shoes) are 3 years old. i simply use everything until it cannot work anymore. i guess this is how i can save my cash.

for those who said you don't want to put all your savings to the car, i agree. but if you have paid off your car and continue to put the would be car payment away, that would be your car savings and not emergency savings.[/QUOTE]

Hehe im the same way. Fiancee spends a bit more on clothes and other stuff and at times it can drive me mad. Personally though im the same, I kept the same pair of shoes for the last 6 or 7 years and only JUST bought a new pair and only because my mom and my fiancee wouldnt shut up about it. Even then i just went to walmart and bought a $17 pair of shoes ;)

We eat out a little more but its not that much more expensive. Getting a double cheeseburger for a buck at Mcdonalds or 2 snackers from KFC isnt any more expensive or is only a little more then having a Can of soup or sandwhich made from home. And clothes...hell I wear Garage sale clothes for the most part, I own a few shirts like video game ones but they are things I found at like a Christmas sale for $3.

Christmas and birthdays are kinda hard to avoid. I'm guessing your asian or if not atleast from another culture since you immigrated....but as im sure you know from growing up here it would be rude to have your mothers birthday pass and not get her atleast a flower and card, or be invited to a friends for a birthday and not buy a new game or something after he got you one.

Leasing is completely stupid. You pay for something you have no ownership of and have no value in. It is essentially renting a car only paying a lot down. 300 bucks a month on a lease = 10 bucks a day. + 2000 ish down. I bought a cavalier in 03 the last 02 model they had on the lot and its 3 years 10kish later I have a car that I own and don't have to make payments on. 50k miles on a car that I have to make no payments on. Sure its not slick, but if I can make it last another 3 years to 100k miles without any major problems I can out right by a new car just by depositing what used to be my car payment into a savings account. Then when that 3 years is up I can outright by a car in cash. Maybe it wouldn't be anything fancy maybe a cavalier or a malibu or a rabbit but I have yet to see a car thats nicer then not having to make a car payment. Of course you could pay twice as much just to drive a new car every 3 years and never own anything if you really wanted to. Note thats without trading in anything too. So 6 years 2 fully paid for cars one with 100k miles one with 0. Where would you be if you leased cars for 6 years oh yeah out all that money and with no car.

[quote name='dude2003']i just checked kbb.com for detroit, mi for the trade in value of the most basic 2004 ford focus with 80k miles - it's around $4,800 in good condition and $3,900 on fair so $3k is on the very low end. you might want to talk to them to make them give you more for your car.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Nice to hear that we should be able to get atleast $4k for her car! What exactly is KBB? Took a quick look, is it just a site that helps you find about how much you should pay for a car and get for yours?

Starting to feel pretty confident as a buyer, it will be nice to go in and know exactly what price I should be able to haggle to as well as get for my car.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thanks for the info. Nice to hear that we should be able to get atleast $4k for her car! What exactly is KBB? Took a quick look, is it just a site that helps you find about how much you should pay for a car and get for yours?

Starting to feel pretty confident as a buyer, it will be nice to go in and know exactly what price I should be able to haggle to as well as get for my car.[/quote]

kbb.com is kelly blue book. it's the "official" pricing for cars. most dealerships and financial instituions use it. you might want to also check out edmunds.com. i did most of my research there. someone from CAG mentioned edmunds.com when i had a similar thread to yours.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I got a Dodge Charger a couple months ago. I absolutely love it. There's a TON of room for a 4-door sedan, and pretty good room in the trunk. It's very powerful, yet easy to control. Plus, it just looks badass.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I wanted a Charger. My uncle had a Magnum. Nice car. My parents just dont like American cars, so a Dodge was out of the question :(

[quote name='jPoD']Ugh. I wanted a Charger. My uncle had a Magnum. Nice car. My parents just dont like American cars, so a Dodge was out of the question :([/quote]

from my research when i was looking to buy a car, dodge is the worse of american cars. it's chevy>ford>dodge

[quote name='dude2003']from my research when i was looking to buy a car, dodge is the worse of american cars. it's chevy>ford>dodge[/QUOTE]

My research says exactly the same thing. I'd be kind of scared to buy a dodge with the horror stories I've read about the durangos.

[quote name='dude2003']from my research when i was looking to buy a car, dodge is the worse of american cars. it's chevy>ford>dodge[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm sure. I really wanted a Solstice, but insurance for a 17 year old on a sports car is insane.

[quote name='jPoD']Ugh. I wanted a Charger. My uncle had a Magnum. Nice car. My parents just dont like American cars, so a Dodge was out of the question :([/QUOTE]

My dad liked my choice so much that he bought one for himself. :lol: He used to hate Dodge because he got a lemon once (it was a Dodge Ram), but he could not resist teh Charger. He needed a new car anyway because the car he had had crappy super-performance tires that died after 12k miles or something.

After for Dodge being the worst, Charger has excellent safety ratings. I know some of their other cars are terrible, though.

Well thank you again dude. You have been most helpfull. My mom and several others said make sure to check blue book and just hadnt got around to it. Thanks again!

The new Jeep looks nice. It'll get heads turning. The thing with Jeeps is that they are awsome all year long. Summer time ride round with the top off. Winter time have the hard top on and with four wheel drive you are set. I don't know the mpg though.

[quote name='D_Icon']The new Jeep looks nice. It'll get heads turning. The thing with Jeeps is that they are awsome all year long. Summer time ride round with the top off. Winter time have the hard top on and with four wheel drive you are set. I don't know the mpg though.[/QUOTE]

Id never in a million years buy a Jeep. I think Jeeps and SUVs are Satan in car form. Honestly their horrible on the road, the enviournment and wallet.

I still don't understand the fascination with new cars. I also have no clue why people would even think of putting themself into debt for something so pissant as a car.

I drive a 1964 Volkswagen Karmann-Ghia. It's cheap, it's very reliable, it's good on gas, it turns heads, and very cheap/quick to repair should it fail. Of course, if you wanted something that was even easier on the wallet, you could go for an old air-cooled VW Bug. They are proven to be reliable and are very cheap. Keep your new fangled cars designed to fail in less than a decade, what with their electronic this, and power that just waiting to die on you.

bread's done
Back