indie game stores in pdx?

I would have told you to go to CD Game Exchange, one on N Mississippi and one on 36th and Hawthorne, and a few outer Southeast. It's local as far as I know, and one of the best places to find non-gamestop used games (like old NES or SNES or whatever doesn't really "sell" in the mall). Even if it's not entirely local, I like going to these guys as much as possible, they let me bring the dog into the store, another big bonus.

http://www.cdgameexchange.org/

[quote name='KingHippp0']I would have told you to go to CD Game Exchange, one on N Mississippi and one on 36th and Hawthorne, and a few outer Southeast. It's local as far as I know, and one of the best places to find non-gamestop used games (like old NES or SNES or whatever doesn't really "sell" in the mall). Even if it's not entirely local, I like going to these guys as much as possible, they let me bring the dog into the store, another big bonus.

http://www.cdgameexchange.org/[/quote]

I know a few people that work at RX and they're corporate actually. Not saying that's bad, but they're not indie. I was going there when they first opened the location on Hawthorne and was going there regularly and some of them are very friendly. They've hired a lot of younger people since then and some of them are not exactly nice to me - and don't seem to enjoy doing any work at all.

The indie game stores in Portland are Video Game Wizards, Video Game Trader, Guardian Games, Empire Games, and Ground Kontrol. I know the owners of Video Game Wizards and Ground Kontrol, I've met the owners of the other places.

Oh yeah, I've been to Video Game Wizards out there on Foster. They actually do have the best NES/SNES selection I've seen in town. Their prices are a little high, but I'm willing to pay a premium for local goods.

Ground Kontrol is one I'm ashamed to have overlooked. Especially since I'm there at least once a week. Cheap beer, quarter games. Best pinball room ever. And not a bad place to look for NES games, though they run a little expensive.

Video Game Trader, Guardian Games, and Empire Games are I haven't visited yet. Are they worth the trip? I'm mostly interested in NES cartridges and classic gaming stuff.

[quote name='KingHippp0']Oh yeah, I've been to Video Game Wizards out there on Foster. They actually do have the best NES/SNES selection I've seen in town. Their prices are a little high, but I'm willing to pay a premium for local goods.

Ground Kontrol is one I'm ashamed to have overlooked. Especially since I'm there at least once a week. Cheap beer, quarter games. Best pinball room ever. And not a bad place to look for NES games, though they run a little expensive.

Video Game Trader, Guardian Games, and Empire Games are I haven't visited yet. Are they worth the trip? I'm mostly interested in NES cartridges and classic gaming stuff.[/quote]

VGW can be sort of pricey as they look everything up to price at collector pricing, but the owners Nick and Lacey work hard and are good business people. And they care about what they do, they're active in the local collector community.

The prices on game stuff at Ground Kontrol is spendy. I honestly don't look at their games for sale either because I can find all that stuff for less - but just mentioning that they do sell games and are independent.

Video Game Trader has the most classic, import and oddball games and are the oldest indie game store in town. Most likely, the games will just be cartridge only - but if you're looking for a particular old game and no one else has it, often they'll have it or a couple copies.

Guardian games has an ok classic/NES video game selection. They are an all around gaming place that does hobby/tabletop/LAN gaming which seems to be more of what they're into.

Empire Games only has a small table of classic/NES games and in my opinion a little pricey. They also are into the hobby/multiplayer gaming stuff as well.

bread's done
Back