Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i didnt get a tracking number but i got the PC version today. thats nice that they send u the PC version first and PS4 later so we dont need to wait for both to be shipped out.

I got the Strafe bundle. I thought the PS4 game would be packed inside the big box but that's not the case. They ship the big box PC version separately from the PS4 release.

It's a shame Strafe got pretty meh reviews. Apparently it's much more of a slow rougelike than a fast paced shooter.

My hype for my ps4 version went from 60 to 0 based on that.

Also, still no tracking.

Also, not sure if its okay for this thread but the guy who worked on the Eskimo Bob flash animations back in the early '00s has a kickstarter for an nes game and it already reached its goal. There's also an option to get the game in a physical cart with box and manual. And for for $8 more, the nes cart can be white.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80534516/eskimo-bob-for-the-nes?ref=nav_search
Whoa! I'm friends with Toma and didn't even realize this launched. I used to be all about Eskimo Bob in the early 00s, I posted on those forums a ton (I was even supposed to have my voice in the long lost episode 32).

Cursed Castilla EX has 3 sold ebay listings of $150+ WTF?!
So any explanation why PA's second release of a relatively unknown game would hit the price of some of the most desirable LRG titles?

Especially since it just got released and Blue Rider is still available to this day?

Aside from blatant shillery, that is.

So any explanation why PA's second release of a relatively unknown game would hit the price of some of the most desirable LRG titles?

Especially since it just got released and Blue Rider is still available to this day?

Aside from blatant shillery, that is.
No clue, but I was hoping it'd take longer for the scalpers to catch on. I just want to be able to pre-order games an hour after they go live for heaven's sake.

Cursed Castilla is admittedly also a better game, let's be honest, Blue Rider is kind of a turd and has horrendous input latency problems

I'm just not buying it that anyone is paying $150-200 for this, especially when it was up for preorder for the better part of a day.

Fully expect the price to drop to $60, maybe $70 bucks when copies start getting into people's hands and I wouldn't be surprised if those sales are fake. Either that or by people with more cash than brains.

Cursed Castilla is admittedly also a better game, let's be honest, Blue Rider is kind of a turd and has horrendous input latency problems
I've played it a bunch and I haven't noticed any input latency, personally. Bigger issues for me are that it isn't 2 player and the game is overall slow.

I'm just not buying it that anyone is paying $150-200 for this, especially when it was up for preorder for the better part of a day.

Fully expect the price to drop to $60, maybe $70 bucks when copies start getting into people's hands and I wouldn't be surprised if those sales are fake. Either that or by people with more cash than brains.
This happens more often than not^, as in situations like this, the first to list a sold out items always reap the best benefits, but also take the biggest risk. Often with a pre-order game like this, once more copies begin to appear, the price drops, and if your pre-order item hasn't shipped to the buyer, they can and will cancel, and there's not much that can be done.

No matter what, this game sold out quick, and is limited to 3000, and as others have stated, it's a better game than most by default(so a decent selling price is to be expected). But I do think the price will get more sensible in time, as more are listed, unless that doesn't happen(which I doubt). But I see high ending auctions like this all the time for items that are the first ones listed, and I can't say how many of those are actually completed and 100% legit. But from personal experience, I can say they are some buyers who do in fact have more money than brains. LOL

I have sold multiple items on eBay with a 'Best Offer' option and the buyer still bought the item for the full listing price. This has never made sense to me.
Now that is something I've never had happen, but I rarely if ever add the "Best Offer" to any of my listings, as it just never seems to work that well for me in the long run. I have had many buyers get an item from me that was currently available at retail for less, but I chalk that up to the lazyness of some people.

I will say, having used the "Best Offer" from the buying side more often, most sellers I've dealt with have it, but very rarely take anything less than the price it's listed at. So in my experience, it's not to surprising that someone wouldn't send you an offer for less, as most of the sellers I've tried to make offers with, always turn them down(even when just a few dollars off of the asking price). So I think a lot of sellers try to boot strap the "offer" in to the listing as click bait to get buyers in, with no intentions of selling the item for a lower price.

I have sold multiple items on eBay with a 'Best Offer' option and the buyer still bought the item for the full listing price. This has never made sense to me.
If your price is good enough I would be worry that someone else would buy the item before the offer is accepted.

This already had an EU/US release. It's homebrew, FYI, so it's not an official part of any Dreamcast library.
Well... the game itself isn't homebrew, but the port is.

I couldn't really find any information about an EU/US release for this game. Did it have like a legitimate publisher, like PlayAsia, or was it just like some guy printing repros?

Well... the game itself isn't homebrew, but the port is.

I couldn't really find any information about an EU/US release for this game. Did it have like a legitimate publisher, like PlayAsia, or was it just like some guy printing repros?
Is it available at https://en.rushongame.com/?lg=en

It's probably not worth getting considering it is only a slightly tweaked version of a freely available downloadable version. It emulates the Neo Geo CD and doesn't run as well.

Update:

North American version of Breakers will be exclusively available at http://www.videogamesnewyork.com

I wholeheartedly agree with this
Locomalito is an amazing programmer, been following his stuff for quite a while now. You all should really follow his website, all of his games are free with the exception of the latest version of Cursed Castile. He does excellent clones of classic titles.

You can really tell when a dev is doing what they love.
https://www.locomalito.com/

For anyone that cares about Shadow Warrior 2 and want a physical release:

https://www.specialreservegames.com/

Also, the bundle is half off on PSN and XBL and includes both the first and second game.
Thanks for the info. It's really disappointing that they put the bundle on sale on PSN for $34.99, but left the standalone SW2 game at $39.99 with no discount. What about all the loyal fans who already bought the first game? They really didn't think it through.

Regardless, I will get the game eventually, probably both physically and digitally, but I'm pretty annoyed by how they released it.

Thanks for the info. It's really disappointing that they put the bundle on sale on PSN for $34.99, but left the standalone SW2 game at $39.99 with no discount. What about all the loyal fans who already bought the first game? They really didn't think it through.

Regardless, I will get the game eventually, probably both physically and digitally, but I'm pretty annoyed by how they released it.
I have a physical copy of the first one, and plan on getting the physical of the second as well. I think both PSN and MS should incorporate something like Steam does, where if you want a bundle, it will automatically subtract the games you have from it and adjust the price.

So when are we supposed to get the PS4 copy of Strafe if we bought the combo? it's not in the big box right?

I have a physical copy of the first one, and plan on getting the physical of the second as well. I think both PSN and MS should incorporate something like Steam does, where if you want a bundle, it will automatically subtract the games you have from it and adjust the price.
I own the first Shadow Warrior game digitally and physically on both the PS4 and XB1, really loved it and am looking forward to getting the sequel. But I'm annoyed with Devolver Digital for not thinking about their loyal fans when pricing the new release. Will now just wait for a digital sale and/or physical release.

New play Asia / east Asia soft release announced. I like that they're doing numbered releases, that's one thing I wanna see from LRG.

MUQrJxl.jpg

https://www.play-asia.com/info/alchemicjousts

This is only loosely a PA exclusive as this has a physical PS4 release in Spain. I'm going to buy this version but if anyone misses out there are other options.

On numbering releases: we've done it with a few items. With PS4 standard editions we don't do it because we'd have to put the sticker on the shrinkwrap. I don't want to further incentivize not opening our releases.

bread's done
Back