Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the "benefits" of globalization. Wish you guys luck with this but this is how it goes anymore and it can get very hard to compete very quickly. When you don't have slave labor and those stupid e-packet Chinese shipping rates you really do get screwed.
Amen to that^

I'm very fortunate as 90% of what I'm currently selling is literature based, so I get to use media mail. Otherwise shipping is just way out of control on this side of the equation. I get several international customers a week asking for better shipping cost, and I have to tell them each time, I should be charging more, as no one is doing me any favors at all. It wouldn't even be so bad if there was a quality service behind the super costly services, but service is probably the worst it's ever been, and more expensive to boot.

How do I fill out the address form on the website? I see a section called Status, Delegation or Municipality and Colony. What do I put in those sections for the US?
I just put my city for all of those. It didn't matter for me since I checked out with PayPal so it went to my PayPal address

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just got an email saying Ghost Blade HD will be limited to 1 copy per person- I was actually hoping to get two copies of this, but there goes that plan I guess. 

Why not just get one from Play Asia and one from LRG?
Well, I already know what PA's release is and was thinking this might be another Cursed Castilla type of deal where I could flip one. I think Doom said LRG is looking into what they could do for their release but really, I have no idea what LRG's release will be. Could just be a standard release... but it could also be way better.

I just want to clarify that *Play-Asia* doesn't include the bonuses - Eastasiasoft does. Aerea proves PA themselves will stretch anything out as an exclusive. It was ~$20 more expensive than Amazon (after considering shipping and prime discount) and it only came with a free deck of cards versus the edition on Amazon.

Alternate note, it's also really easy for them to offer cheap shipping as a China based company - China has negotiated ridiculously good international rates. Not to mention we pay our shipping staff a livable wage which is exponentially higher than someone would get paid in China for the same job.

Shipping from the US is expensive and there is no real way around that.
personally I'm not buying the PA releases any more, my Cursed Castilla is still MIA, can't deal with items with no tracking in shipping customs hell

PlayAsia I get, theyre overseas, but what the hell is up with all these horror stories about Special Reserve?

They need to get their shit together if they're planning on putting out official ntsc releases. I got my Strafe fine but it's still making me nervous for the future. No tracking and no customer support is unacceptable in 2017. Wish Sony would put sanctions on behavior like this.

PlayAsia I get, theyre overseas, but what the hell is up with all these horror stories about Special Reserve?

They need to get their shit together if they're planning on putting out official ntsc releases. I got my Strafe fine but it's still making me nervous for the future. No tracking and no customer support is unacceptable in 2017. Wish Sony would put sanctions on behavior like this.
my understanding is that the first set of strafe orders magically disappeared from their system for some reason but they never decided to communicate this fact so you were kinda sol unless you reached out. Here is what they told me, they had to manually ship out my ps4 strafe copy after I contacted them because they don't seem to have any way of automatically recovering the orders:

We have some new info for you after our digging and bug solving. It turns out that there's this small stack of orders that we were having trouble finding in the system; these orders which were having to be manually investigated actually got "stuck" in the system, thanks to an early syncing error between our store and shipper. We are really sorry that this happened to your order and that it took some time for us to untangle.

So happy I went through LRG for Strafe. Will be doing the same for all other SRG releases.

I can't believe they still have copies of Shadow Warrior 2 up for sale.
Fantastic game, one of my recent favorites. Unfortunately they haven't shipped them yet (I ordered one PS4 copy and one bundle for the extras). But they're delaying it to include the day one patch, which is fine with me.

Fantastic game, one of my recent favorites. Unfortunately they haven't shipped them yet (I ordered one PS4 copy and one bundle for the extras). But they're delaying it to include the day one patch, which is fine with me.
I could be wrong but I don't recall them saying it was a preorder for Shadow Warrior 2 at the time it went up. In essence it really is now though since it was paid for in full on May 24th and likely won't be in hand until the end of July.

Update: passed by 2 more Walmarts and still nothing. Gonna try one more tomorrow.

Kinda random but when I was watching Fox, I saw a commercial for Sanborns lol

Update on Sanborns. I highly suggest anyone that ordered Beyond Two Souls/Heavy Rain from them log into their Sanborns account and check the status of their order.

I logged in this afternoon to see if the order was processing or shipped yet and, unfortunately, I saw that my order was labeled as cancelled.

Never got an e-mail about it, let alone a refund.

E-mailed customer support to try to find out what's up----but I don't speak Spanish so I sent a very basic message asking why my order was cancelled using Google Translate. Really hope I don't have to open a PayPal dispute over this.

Bastards, where's the physical Vita version?
Edmund McMillen lobbed some sarcastic responses at someone who asked him about a physical Vita release. I'd be majorly surprised if it happened. Retailers here don't even really want Vita games and Nicalis is 100% traditional retail.

Update on Sanborns. I highly suggest anyone that ordered Beyond Two Souls/Heavy Rain from them log into their Sanborns account and check the status of their order.

I logged in this afternoon to see if the order was processing or shipped yet and, unfortunately, I saw that my order was labeled as cancelled.

Never got an e-mail about it, let alone a refund.

E-mailed customer support to try to find out what's up----but I don't speak Spanish so I sent a very basic message asking why my order was cancelled using Google Translate. Really hope I don't have to open a PayPal dispute over this.
Mine was cancelled too. Let us know how it goes. If they give you shit I'll go straight to a dispute.

Yep. Cancelled mine as well. No email notification. Bastards. I'll wait a couple days to see if the Paypal refund goes through and if not, open a dispute.

I thought this was a big check mark off the list but I guess I'm back in the hunt.  

How can you guys tell if it's cancelled? It doesn't look like it's cancelled on my end.
When I click on Mis Órdenes it says Status: Cancelado.

qnNcesD.jpg

Nice. I wonder if they allowed more orders to be made than they had copies, because I made my order right before people on here were claiming it was out of stock.

Nice. I wonder if they allowed more orders to be made than they had copies, because I made my order right before people on here were claiming it was out of stock.
I ordered around the same time, before everyone claimed it was out of stock. My order is cancelado as well. Emailed them about a refund. Hopefully that works but if not, I'm jumping on that PayPal dispute wagon. Really a shame because $22.xx was such a good deal for that. Oh well.

Sounds like they just oversold and didn't have the inventory systems in-line with the website correctly. For shame. I refuse to get the digital versions so the question now is do I wait and hope to find it later or just get them on PS3. 

bread's done
Back