Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are buying specific items and hoarding large quantities of them, mostly Nintendo stuff, like limited edition 3DS consoles or special edition versions of Zelda games, yeah there's a good chance you'll get a decent return on investment. But you have to factor in all of the work that goes into that, not to mention storing it all and just generally admitting to being a scummy reselling asshole when you buy all the NES minis.

A savings account is a complete joke as far as investing, I agree there. But a well managed Roth IRA or 401K will probably do better and require less work in the long run than the constant buying and reselling of games it would take to keep up with that output.

Is loose PS4 disc thing is still a thing?  There was a very safe and quick way putting the disc back in position without much effort.  I had fixed several of my loose discs that way, including two LRG PS4 releases.  It was so easy to fix that I told my friend about it and he was like "really?  dude, you gotta fix some of my loose discs, they're driving me crazy!"  Of course I said "yeah, sure."  Then to my horror, he gave me a sealed loose steelbook disc to fix...  Dick...

Hey nightc1, ready to stop putting the loose disc blame solely on Limited Run? Thanks.

I hate seeing people ascribe this issue to us when it is the PS4 cases being junk. Pretty sure my copies of Wild Guns will be loose as well.

Did they seal the keychains to the front or back? If they are on the front and centered, I can pretty much guarantee nearly every copy will arrive loose. The slightest pressure on the front center of a PS4 case will make the disc loose. Putting a keychain there would spread the affected area and more easily apply pressure.
I don't think I've ever put it solely on LRG. It's more of an issue with LRG than say Amazon because people don't expect Amazon to care due to the volume of business. People have long since realized Gamestop doesn't care. It's like how a lot of SE's end up crushed in shipping because the big companies just see them as widgets pulled from some bin to make a profit rather than a collectors item like the games you produce. People expect higher customer service and care from smaller businesses, not primadonna shenanigans.

YES the cases have an issue, no one is denying that. Hiding behind the ole "Everyone has this problem so it's not our problem to deal with and it's only Sony's fault" is bull. The crying to stop bringing up floaters is not helping either. Why do you have to be such a dick about it? I don't think I've mentioned the issue in this thread let alone your company yet you take the time to call me out by username.

The issue about Floaters isn't PERSONAL and is not limited to any company. It's an issue. A thing people shipping games could do something to figure out how to LIMIT. People must care about the issue if they are making videos on the only thing a customer can do to fix a floater and helping friends fix floaters for games in their collections. I'm just taking it up the food chain and asking you guys to look into it to see if there is anything you can do through a change in shipping materials. Throw some games in some various packaging options and toss them around the office. See what works and doesn't work. Don't just aim for 20% failure... aim for 1%. What is best for these collectors items that is still reasonable price wise for the company to implement?

In 2017, orders with 2+ PS4 games will ship from us in a box by default. :)
Why so much drama trying to pass the blame and discredit anyone that has any constructive feedback if you are just going to buckle and do something to try and limit the issue? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you are doing something but your attitude about it is just strangely reactive.

This reminds me of how you guys were such dick heads over the concept of preorders. No one expects an idea to just be accepted and adopted when it's brought up, but to just outright reject ideas and call out the individual customers publicly to shame them isn't good business. It's especially bad as the fanboys just gobble up whatever you guys say and are quick to rail on anyone that questions it. You guy said you'd never do them because it would alienate the resellers which you need so bad to sell out quick... yet... push came to shove and you ended up caving because developers demanded it and it worked as well as any other sale except one major thing... there are fewer unhappy regular customers. If making the customers happy was more of a focus maybe that would help retain them. Of course preorders mainly work with games people actually want. So it's not a perfect fit for LRG, but it is for certain games you may publish. It all depends on if you want to make the customer happy (while still selling out of games) or not.

Getting feedback (good & bad) is only a positive for how you can improve your business. How you react to it can be a positive for the customer or a negaitive. It's sad for me that nearly every thing I've every asked about has turned into some kind of major negative. It's even more bizarre that all the negative garbage dished out at me for bringing up an idea has resulted in that idea actually getting implemented in some way.

He gave you crap about it because you gave him crap about it. I prefer neither of you address each other about this because 1. it's not professional for Doomstink and a waste of his time and energy and 2. the floater "issue" isn't an issue and is a waste of your time and energy.

I mentioned you by username because I've recently seen you bring it up in the Rez thread (as well as the LRG thread) as if it was a specific issue to us. Apologize if I came off as a jerk there, but this loose disc thing is a pet peeve of mine and I hate seeing it tied to us like peanut butter and jelly.

We're taking massive strides to prevent this issue in 2017 as best we can and I would be incredibly grateful if people would not add to the misinformed idea that we do anything to specifically cause it when the root issue is a manufacturing component we have no control over. :(

I mentioned you by username because I've seen you bring it up in the Rez thread (as well as the LRG thread) as if it was a specific issue to us. Apologize if I came off as a jerk there, but this loose disc thing is a pet peeve of mine and I hate seeing it tied to us like peanut butter and jelly.
You tied a PB&J to your company?

You tied a PB&J to your company?
Yes.

But seriously, no, it's just when I see loose discs brought up somewhere it's only a matter of time before someone pops in the discourse mentioning us. We seem to be becoming synonymous with the issue and I want that to stop.

I realize I'm contributing to the problem here (I was that someone in this case) but this is kind of a trigger issue for me. I want so badly to fix the problem but even after a full-blown internal investigation at Sony, they've decided to not use new cases. 😣

I pre-ordered Road Rage on PS4 a couple months ago, and I can't remember what the release date was supposed to be now, but it's been delayed, Amazon has pushed back the release date to December 29, 2017. 

This game looks pretty low budget, but I was interested because it looks like an open world style Road Rash game based primarily around motorcycles and combat between them. Hopefully it wasn't cancelled.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Rage-PlayStation-4/dp/B01HD1B64C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482960669&sr=8-1&keywords=road%2Brage%2Bps4&th=1

I pre-ordered Road Rage on PS4 a couple months ago, and I can't remember what the release date was supposed to be now, but it's been delayed, Amazon has pushed back the release date to December 29, 2017.

This game looks pretty low budget, but I was interested because it looks like an open world style Road Rash game based primarily around motorcycles and combat between them. Hopefully it wasn't cancelled.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Rage-PlayStation-4/dp/B01HD1B64C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482960669&sr=8-1&keywords=road%2Brage%2Bps4&th=1
It's on Steam if you actually want to play it.

If any of you have a nearby Play N Trade, check it out. The one near me had lots of OOP games still new for sale.

It had practically every XB1 or PS4 game ever released still available "new". Probably gutted, but w/e.

If there is a game with a really low print run or OOP current-gen game you want, it probably has it.

I hadn't seen a new copy of The Talos Principle in ages...

Funny you mention Talos Principle, I found at least 3 copies at a local Toys "R" Us on 12/15.  Only $20, I picked one up.  TRU in store seems to be a good source (at least in my area).  I'm going back to look again on Monday.

Aragami (PS4) was probably mentioned in this thread (didn't check), but I'm about three chapters in and enjoying it so far. Art style reminds me of Mark of Kri. I like the use of shadows in this game, but I tend to compare this to Tenchu more than I should and wish some of the same equipment was available in Aragami. I have unlocked very few upgrades, so hopefully this will change.

It also comes with a digital art book/soundtrack, redeemable from the Maximum Games website.

Well worth the $11.XX I paid on Amazon earlier this month. Disc was loose btw... =)

Funny you mention Talos Principle, I found at least 3 copies at a local Toys "R" Us on 12/15. Only $20, I picked one up. TRU in store seems to be a good source (at least in my area). I'm going back to look again on Monday.
I also picked it up at TRU during the recent buy 1, get 1 for 30% off sale. I have the full game on my Shield TV so I probably won't open it, but $19.99 was a great price. They also had a few other obscure PS4 and Xbox games for very reasonable prices because I found Earth Defense Force 4.1 and Digimon World Story: Cyber Sleuth for $19.99 each, so I would recommend waiting for a sale like that one and then checking them out.

I apologize if this has been brought up before but is there a list somewhere for games that has a physical release in english from other countries? Specifically, region 3 games from Asia that has english subtitles. Currently trying to get Digimon Story and SAO: Hollow Fragment for Vita and would love to know if there's any other games like this.

I apologize if this has been brought up before but is there a list somewhere for games that has a physical release in english from other countries? Specifically, region 3 games from Asia that has english subtitles. Currently trying to get Digimon Story and SAO: Hollow Fragment for Vita and would love to know if there's any other games like this.
I'm not sure if this list is all-inclusive, but this is a good starting point (for Vita at least): http://thevitalounge.net/forum/threads/english-asian-physical-releases.2198/

I think this should be everything:

ASIA
Airship Q
Asterisk War, The: Phoenix Festa
Dead or Alive: Xtreme 3
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
Deemo The Last Recital
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Dokuro
Dragon Quest Builders
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
Final Fantaxy X
Final Fantaxy X-2
Gundam Breaker 3
MLB 15 The Show
Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force
Moe Chronicle
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Orgarhythm
Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Samurai Warriors 4-II
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2+
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment

JAPAN
Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy
Hotline Miami Collected Edition

I have a good portion of those titles^, but I haven't got a lot of the more recent releases, but I'm buying them on a "OOP" basis, so just getting the games that will be harder to get later.

Heavy Arm really helps, as they'll let you know when it's possible they can no longer stock certain games.

Tempted to pick up super meat boy for the PS4 physically. It has come down in price quite a bit and shipping to the USA isn't that bad. Any suggestions for PAL physical only ps4 games to go along with it? Maybe the heavy rain/two souls collection...

Tempted to pick up super meat boy for the PS4 physically. It has come down in price quite a bit and shipping to the USA isn't that bad. Any suggestions for PAL physical only ps4 games to go along with it? Maybe the heavy rain/two souls collection...
Heavy rain is a good one, some other good options would be Journey, Zombi, and Kholat.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Also wanted to mention to all those ppl planing to sell LRG games in the future. Those floaters cause scratches to discs. So putting it back in the holder doesnt fix that and when you try to sell it you got a problem as well. Either a open it or dont sell ps4 games. I know this because I got a floater from target and the disc was scratched. I took it back So I know someone paying above MSRP for LRG or any ps4 game that is sought after and sealed wouldn be too happy about those scratches.

Also wanted to mention to all those ppl planing to sell LRG games in the future. Those floaters cause scratches to discs. So putting it back in the holder doesnt fix that and when you try to sell it you got a problem as well. Either a open it or dont sell ps4 games. I know this because I got a floater from target and the disc was scratched. I took it back So I know someone paying above MSRP for LRG or any ps4 game that is sought after and sealed wouldn be too happy about those scratches.
I've opened lots of floater PS4 games over the past few years and never once had a scratched disc. That includes floaters from the UK that spent many days in transit by mail. So, I would say that scratches are a very rare issue even for floaters and certainly nothing that collectors or gamers should spend much time worrying about.

Yea, I'll echo that sentiment. Blu-ray discs are superb when it comes to scratch resistance. I've had floaters in new games, they all look pristine when opened.

Blu-ray floaters should be fine because of the coating. Now, creases and indents to the cover art, that absolutely will happen when you 'fix' the floating discs. Hell, half the games you get in new from an online store (and even many in store) have that problem. That should be a bigger problem to people, but a lot of people just don't notice this stuff... until they do, and they realize that half of their collection has creases and indents all over the cover art lol.

Tl;dr stop trying to 'fix' floating discs. It does more harm than good.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using TapaTalk.

Blu-ray floaters should be fine because of the coating. Now, creases and indents to the cover art, that absolutely will happen when you 'fix' the floating discs. Hell, half the games you get in new from an online store (and even many in store) have that problem. That should be a bigger problem to people, but a lot of people just don't notice this stuff... until they do, and they realize that half of their collection has creases and indents all over the cover art lol.

Tl;dr stop trying to 'fix' floating discs. It does more harm than good.

Disagree. I have used the method in the video that was posted earlier for a couple of months now and it hasn't resulted in any creases or damage to my inserts and I am a very picky collector to the point of looking at my games and their packaging with a magnifying glass at times. The trick is not to push with full force in the spot where the disc reclicks, but to use a good inch of your finger flat against it so no creasing results.

Disagree. I have used the method in the video that was posted earlier for a couple of months now and it hasn't resulted in any creases or damage to my inserts and I am a very picky collector to the point of looking at my games and their packaging with a magnifying glass at times. The trick is not to push with full force in the spot where the disc reclicks, but to use a good inch of your finger flat against it so no creasing results.
If you are able to do that without any blemishes to the cover art at all, then kudos to you, good sir, because it's risky as hell.

Wild Guns Reloaded back up on Amazon through Natsume Inc (with keychain). In-stock January 13th.
Wow, thanks for the heads up! Just ordered a copy. I noticed that the game has been creeping up in price on Amazon (still available on VGP cheaper though), so getting it at a good price, free shipping, and key chain is a great deal.

If you are able to do that without any blemishes to the cover art at all, then kudos to you, good sir, because it's risky as hell.

Honestly, it depends on which method you use... there's a handful of videos, but this one is by far the best. I've done it twice with no damage to the coverart whereas the other methods I used, I got the little indents in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mieqiv2K8sc

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Just ordered a copy. I noticed that the game has been creeping up in price on Amazon (still available on VGP cheaper though), so getting it at a good price, free shipping, and key chain is a great deal.
I ordered on Jan 7th and my estimate was around the 18th. It updated to the 12th and today it changed to the 23rd. I see VGP has it in stock. Do their copies come with a keychain too or only amazon?

Edit: Looks like no keychain from VGP. Hope mine actually ships.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but I didn't see this game on the main list and I've never heard of or seen it before. I actually saw the link for it when I clicked to look at Abzu.

Anyway it (Rime) looks like an interesting adventure game with SOTC type graphics.

https://www.amazon.com/Grey-Box-RiME-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MXYX880/ref=pd_sim_63_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GB87XRMRJ5R0RFWP5CYW
Never heard of this studio before and none of their other titles(all 2 of them) look anything like this. I'm interested though, hope it winds up cool.

Nonsense on scratching discs trying to fix floaters without unsealing.

I've experimented with an already opened throw away game for hours in various ways to practice reseating floaters and perfecting a technique before trying real games.  

And I tried my hardest to leave a mark on the disc on purpose even putting pressure on the disc and scraping it passed the center hub to know what worst case was. The disc still looks brand new.  They are impervious to scratches and the plastic case is way softer than the disc coating. The worst I got was waxy scuff transfers from the blue plastic that easily rubbed off the disc like polished glass.

If you had scratches it was damaged from the manufacture or a used reseal scratched by something A LOT harder than the soft blu ray case plastic.

It's almost a $30 markup! I can understand $5 to $10 extra for a physical copy but that is just plain unacceptable. Wait until it gets clearanced out.
Except its Gamestop. If you wait too long they will be gone or the only available copies will be gutted long before any price drop.

I hope this isnt Gamestop exclusive.

Industry Giant II is $39.99 on PSN. Where are you getting a $30 markup from?
I guess it was unfair of me comparing it to the PC price: http://store.steampowered.com/app/271360/. I understand that it costs $$$ to bring/port a game to consoles but at this price it seems a bit steep. Being that you work with porting digital games to physical media, can you share some insight? Much appreciated!

Anima: Gate of Memories is getting a physical PS4 release in the US now. Looks like it might be a collector's edition only release though but it's a very nice boxset for $40 if you have amazon prime.

Anima: Gate of Memories - Beyond Fantasy Edition (PS4) $49.99 ($39.99 Prime)

ZwvcH6F.jpg

I thought the same thing, but tried it and it didn't leave any creases in the cover art.

But, yeah, the creases do annoy me way more than floaters (especially since I do intend to open games most of the time). I'm not sure what causes it - either the shrink-wrapping process or pressure on the case during shipping. I've seen creases way more on games shipped to me.

Then there's the rear cover art on PS4 games getting the outline of the hollow areas around the disc hub passed on to it, which happens most of the time. That has stopped bothering me given how common it is and isn't specific to online orders shipped in envelopes/bubble mailers. When these eco cases were designed, OCD nut jobs like myself were not given much consideration.

I thought the same thing, but tried it and it didn't leave any creases in the cover art.

But, yeah, the creases do annoy me way more than floaters (especially since I do intend to open games most of the time). I'm not sure what causes it - either the shrink-wrapping process or pressure on the case during shipping. I've seen creases way more on games shipped to me.

Then there's the rear cover art on PS4 games getting the outline of the hollow areas around the disc hub passed on to it, which happens most of the time. That has stopped bothering me given how common it is and isn't specific to online orders shipped in envelopes/bubble mailers. When these eco cases were designed, OCD nut jobs like myself were not given much consideration.
The indents around the disc holder are so awful. The economy cases mixed with the terrible, flimsy paper makes it so common. I have to buy and return most games at least once or twice to get an actual mint copy. It's so damn tiring.

Except its Gamestop. If you wait too long they will be gone or the only available copies will be gutted long before any price drop.

I hope this isnt Gamestop exclusive.
It likely isn't. Walmart actually got the earlier game by this same publisher (Pro Farmer) late last year, months before it ended up at Gamestop and Target.

bread's done
Back