Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep trying to tell everyone that they've placed the order with Sony for Shadow Warrior 2 as of three weeks ago. It'll probably ship in the next two or three weeks.

If you guys want patched releases, be happy they took their time here. The game you are receiving is ultimately better off from the extra time in the oven.

If you guys want patched releases, be happy they took their time here. The game you are receiving is ultimately better off from the extra time in the oven.
Your preaching to a "microwave" generation, as waiting on an "oven", is a foreign concept to most, hence the we want it "now" mentality. LOL

Your preaching to a "microwave" generation, as waiting on an "oven", is a foreign concept to most, hence the we want it "now" mentality. LOL
I placed the order on May 24th, and it is now August 1st.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that we could have received what we paid for by now.

I never asked for nor wanted a patched version, and if they wanted to offer this, then they should have worked out the logistics of it beforehand so that the orders could be fulfilled in a reasonable amount of time after being placed.

I placed the order on May 24th, and it is now August 1st.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that we could have received what we paid for by now.

I never asked for nor wanted a patched version, and if they wanted to offer this, then they should have worked out the logistics of it beforehand so that the orders could be fulfilled in a reasonable amount of time after being placed.
My comment wasn't exactly pointed towards your comment, as Josh answered you directly, and I figured the "LOL" at the end of your comment meant you where OK with whatever delay you where currently dealing with, and taking it in stride as the LOL meant laughter right? Lighthearted, not to bent out of shape over it? Normally the little red face means your pissed off right? Or does LOL now mean something different? I guess I was wrong either way, my apologies.

It was meant for the hundreds of comments I see weekly from the same people who act like these delays are something new, and have never happened before, or will never happen again. Those same people will complain of Skull Girls being late(which it most certainly is), but then those same complainers will buy another game from the same party, and when it is delayed, for whatever reason, then want to complain again.

That's the same as the 101 comments that GameStop is the worst in the business, but the same people buy from them again and again, only to complain about the service received, and the poor condition of their products(opened, being sold as new). If you for sure have an issue of not getting a "game" in the time you would have thought, expected, or where promised, ask for a refund? If one won't be offered, do a charge back through Paypal, or your CC company. Either service shouldn't have a problem getting you your money back that you paid for months ago, and have not received a shipping notice for yet.

EDIT: Also as a point of reference to my comment, I would say 9/10 people here will complain each and every time they find out one of these physical releases won't have all the extra's included on the disc/cart(as LRG has said before that they want to do there best to make sure these games are 100% complete), so it was also meant to that crowd as well, which again, you seem to not be a prat of, so ignore my comment, as it wasn't meant for you apparently.

I let my Ghost Blade order be canceled thinking I'd get it from LRG. But seeing how LRG prices their limited editions I think I made a mistake. I'm hoping I'm wrong and they release something similar for $29.99.

For you Cali folks worried about your copies, I'm in Texas and have not gotten anything yet either. I did notice people on the East Coast got Castilla about a full week before I did, so I haven't started to get worried yet. But if it doesn't get here by the end of this week, I will be a bit concerned.  

I let my Ghost Blade order be canceled thinking I'd get it from LRG. But seeing how LRG prices their limited editions I think I made a mistake. I'm hoping I'm wrong and they release something similar for $29.99.
Stink said it's gonna be $29.99 and comparable, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Stink said it's gonna be $29.99 and comparable, but I'll believe it when I see it.
well the game is $9.99 on PSN. so add $10 on top of it cause of physical copy. $20. add soundtrack, usually they charge $15. so its $35. but if u look at Wonder Boy as an example, its $30 physically. look at their CE for WB, $65. so $35 for 10 cards, 2-CD soundtrack, and a poster.

@chrislaustin: no hard feelings, my lol was to kind of to point out how ridiculously long its been since I paid for it
It's all good, no issues.

I actually wanted to see about grabbing the WB CE for the scarcity of it, as I'm sure that one will be in good demand after the fact. But I actually want Night Trap's CE the following week, so I'll probably skip WB this week, as to save funds for the next. I think both CE are going to be pretty insane, as far as the time being offered will be concerned, but it's nice to see some higher level sets for more well known games. So even if they sell out in seconds, at least they are being offered, along with a pretty good standard edition run.

just a heads up, looks like MATTERFALL is getting a physical release in ASIA at least. Play Asia has it at 20 dollars.

MATTERFALL is a game made by Housemarque and looks to be a 2D run and gun shmup 

Did anyone had to sign for Ghost Blade? My brother had his shipped to a P.O. Box and he said he has too but I'm curious if anyone else has to.

Got my Ghost Blade yesterday (WA state), and I had to sign for it.  Shipping box was a little rough, but the inside was pristine.

Now looking forward to Night Trap.  Anyone else here play the original?

Did anyone had to sign for Ghost Blade? My brother had his shipped to a P.O. Box and he said he has too but I'm curious if anyone else has to.
Before I moved, I had to sign for every package from Play-Asia. Now they just leave it in the mailbox for me. Most international packages should require signatures, my current post officers just don't care.

just a heads up, looks like MATTERFALL is getting a physical release in ASIA at least. Play Asia has it at 20 dollars.
MATTERFALL is a game made by Housemarque and looks to be a 2D run and gun shmup
Chinese subs, no mention of English. Like the Alienation physical release, not worth bothering.

Got my copy of Ghost Blade HD today and I'm in CA so others should get them in soon. Looks like EastAsia put a numbered sticker on the back of the box. I'd assume that's the matching number for the certificate inside.

Got my copy of Ghost Blade HD today and I'm in CA so others should get them in soon. Looks like EastAsia put a numbered sticker on the back of the box. I'd assume that's the matching number for the certificate inside.
Sticker started a few releases ago. I fucking love these PA games so much.

It is going to ultimately be a matter of personal preference but IMO, ours will be better. I don't even care to make money on it - it's a matter of principle. We're aiming for a foil embossed slip-cover, folded poster, soundtrack CD, reversible cover art, and manual. It will be $29.99 - not a penny more - and limited to only 2,000 copies.

Just for the record, and so people understand why things are the way they are: PA manufactures their components and assembles their boxes in China. If we could pay our labor $2 an hour and get materials for next to nothing, we'd have the capacity to be more competitive with our prices; however, we pay our staff livable US wages (lowest wage on our staff is $12.50/hr). We also manufacture all of our components locally rather than in China to ensure quality and to support our local economy.

Additionally, I started Limited Run to not only preserve games but to help developers out with a new revenue stream. The extra doodads PA includes and the constant discounts they provide just dilute what the developers ultimately earn. I didn't set out to create another race to the bottom like Steam sales and bundles. I want developers to earn what their games are worth. I want composers to earn money on their soundtracks. When PA bundles a soundtrack, the composers probably get pennies for each - that sucks. When we sell ours they can make up to $12/unit! I get where you guys sit on the consumer side of this - it's better for you. I totally understand that! But if the developers and composers don't make adequate money, they can't keep creating. My dev company almost went under a hundred times so this cause is near and dear to me.

Not that I'm implying that this isn't the case for PA, but when you buy a game or soundtrack or collector's edition from us - you're not lining my pockets with that purchase - you're giving hard-working developers and composers the financial support they need to continue creating games and music. I know for a fact we've saved some devs from going under. More than anything else, I'm proud as hell about that.

Got my Ghost Blade yesterday (WA state), and I had to sign for it. Shipping box was a little rough, but the inside was pristine.

Now looking forward to Night Trap. Anyone else here play the original?
Got mine today as well, pristine condition and ce looks amazing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

It is going to ultimately be a matter of personal preference but IMO, ours will be better. I don't even care to make money on it - it's a matter of principle. We're aiming for a foil embossed slip-cover, folded poster, soundtrack CD, reversible cover art, and manual. It will be $29.99 - not a penny more - and limited to only 2,000 copies.

Just for the record, and so people understand why things are the way they are: PA manufactures their components and assembles their boxes in China. If we could pay our labor $2 an hour and get materials for next to nothing, we'd have the capacity to be more competitive with our prices; however, we pay our staff livable US wages (lowest wage on our staff is $12.50/hr). We also manufacture all of our components locally rather than in China to ensure quality and to support our local economy.

Additionally, I started Limited Run to not only preserve games but to help developers out with a new revenue stream. The extra doodads PA includes and the constant discounts they provide just dilute what the developers ultimately earn. I didn't set out to create another race to the bottom like Steam sales and bundles. I want developers to earn what their games are worth. I want composers to earn money on their soundtracks. When PA bundles a soundtrack, the composers probably get pennies for each - that sucks. When we sell ours they can make up to $12/unit! I get where you guys sit on the consumer side of this - it's better for you. I totally understand that! But if the developers and composers don't make adequate money, they can't keep creating. My dev company almost went under a hundred times so this cause is near and dear to me.

Not that I'm implying that this isn't the case for PA, but when you buy a game or soundtrack or collector's edition from us - you're not lining my pockets with that purchase - you're giving hard-working developers and composers the financial support they need to continue creating games and music. I know for a fact we've saved some devs from going under. More than anything else, I'm proud as hell about that.
I really hope I can snag one of these. I passed on the Play Asia one to get the LRG version, but I am a bit worried to see a run of 2,000 units. Didn't the Play Asia one sell out quickly?

@Doomstink
As long as you guys keep selling stuff that looks interesting to me, I will keep buying from you. I don't collect them all but I try to grab the ones that look good. Can't wait for you to offer Ghost Blade and Cosmic Star Heroine. I hope I don't miss out on those.

Will you guys likely do blind box sales for Black Friday again this year?

@Doomstink: I thought you mentioned at one point you were going to be releasing Shadow Warrior 2 for PS4?

if so, any specifics on it yet, like foil coverart, release date, inclusion of the first Shadow Warrior PS4, etc.?

I might cancel my SRG games order at this point since it's been so long if your version is going to be better

@Doomstink: I thought you mentioned at one point you were going to be releasing Shadow Warrior 2 for PS4?
if so, any specifics on it yet, like foil coverart, release date, inclusion of the first Shadow Warrior PS4, etc.?
I might cancel my SRG games order at this point since it's been so long if your version is going to be better
LRG is releasing the first 8 SRG releases in very limited quantity.

It's the same two-disc package they have, but with alternate art. We'll receive our copies at the same time SRG gets theirs so their version will still start shipping out before we put ours on sale. They'll probably have their copies in 2 - 3 weeks. We expect to have ours around the same time but probably won't sell them until mid-September.

Is this honestly some kind of theory that is going around? I really hope not.

We'll either sell the copies through my personal account or make a Limited Run company account.
Yea, it's a huge conspiracy theory.

It was a joke.

Yea, it's a huge conspiracy theory.

It's a joke, lighten up.
People think we ran off and bought sports cars and houses with the Skullgirls money. I honestly would not be surprised if there was some corner of the internet that believed Chris was a proxy account of ours.

People think we ran off and bought sports cars and houses with the Skullgirls money. I honestly would not be surprised if there was some corner of the internet that believed Chris was a proxy account of ours.
I knew it was meant as a joke, but I also understand how and why you commented the way you did. It's the internet, and their is no shortage of opinions, and the like, so yeah, it could have easily been taken that way by any number of people, and for the exact reason you gave.

There are people on Facebook constantly taunting and berating them over the Skullgirls thing. I have to think by now that people would have taken the time to read the countless numbers of statements and communication explaining what happened. But it's the internet. Funny thing is the people losing their minds over it the most still wouldn't cancel their preorder if you stuck the cash in their face. 

bread's done
Back