Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are people on Facebook constantly taunting and berating them over the Skullgirls thing. I have to think by now that people would have taken the time to read the countless numbers of statements and communication explaining what happened. But it's the internet. Funny thing is the people losing their minds over it the most still wouldn't cancel their preorder if you stuck the cash in their face.
Odds are good plenty of the people screwing with them didn't even order the game, it's just one more thing to jump down someone's throat about which internet anonymity enables like crazy.

Has anyone who ordered Shadow Warrior 2 from Special Reserve Games received theirs yet or heard of any updates since they last posted it would ship in the first two weeks of July? I contacted them and have had no response...

Has anyone who ordered Shadow Warrior 2 from Special Reserve Games received theirs yet or heard of any updates since they last posted it would ship in the first two weeks of July? I contacted them and have had no response...
They seem to be rather slow in the response department, but it seems as though they'll get to you at some point.

After all the issues I've seen from this one release, and lack of any good CS or communication in general, I'm steering clear of this company until any and all of these issues are sorted out.

At least when LRG started they still got back to customers in a decent time frame, and that was with only 2 people. Half of which was sending out hundreds of thousands of orders on a regular basis. SRG doesn't appear to be shipping anything currently, so the least they could do is answer questions and issues in a timely manner.

Half of which was sending out hundreds of thousands of orders on a regular basis.
Two major errors on your part.

First, they've never had hundreds of thousands of orders to ship on a regular basis. That's factually crazy. I doubt they've sold 500,000 games if you add up every release.

Second, and more important, in the early days and expecially that first year, they didn't ship hardly any games at all. They used a third party shipper.

Just saying, you are giving them WAY more credit than they deserve.

Has anyone who ordered Shadow Warrior 2 from Special Reserve Games received theirs yet or heard of any updates since they last posted it would ship in the first two weeks of July? I contacted them and have had no response...
See this post by Doom:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357745-smallerobscurelimited-physical-release-deals-and-discussion-thread/?p=13794637

He's in the know since he runs LRG and knows the guys at SRG. Also according to Doom, it's peak production season for Sony since they're making games for the big fall releases which is also slowing things down.

I think 90% of the complaints people have about SRG could be avoided if they figured out how to communicate with people. They apparently sent out an email update on the delay but I never got it.

See this post by Doom:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357745-smallerobscurelimited-physical-release-deals-and-discussion-thread/?p=13794637

He's in the know since he runs LRG and knows the guys at SRG. Also according to Doom, it's peak production season for Sony since they're making games for the big fall releases which is also slowing things down.

I think 90% of the complaints people have about SRG could be avoided if they figured out how to communicate with people. They apparently sent out an email update on the delay but I never got it.
Thanks, must have missed that post (didn't get any emails either).

Two major errors on your part.

First, they've never had hundreds of thousands of orders to ship on a regular basis. That's factually crazy. I doubt they've sold 500,000 games if you add up every release.

Second, and more important, in the early days and expecially that first year, they didn't ship hardly any games at all. They used a third party shipper.

Just saying, you are giving them WAY more credit than they deserve.
My mistake in the wording, as I meant hundreds, and thousands. Not hundreds of thousands, I don't think any one here would make that assumption, but good to clear up anyways.

LRG started out shipping themselves, and then as they grew, they added the shippers, which in turn caused nothing but problems, and made even more work for them, so yeah, I'm not giving them any credit over what was due. Do you not remember all the mistakes they had to go back and correct from the shipping companies? That was more work, than if they had done it on their own due to the poor way those facilities operated.

And if SRG isn't shipping out products to anyone currently, maybe you care to explain why it takes weeks, if not more, to issue replies, if at all?

[attachment=27477:chris.jpg][attachment=27477:chris.jpg]

[attachment=27478:chris 2.jpg]

LRG sold out of their Wonder Boy in minutes.

Coincidentally, "Chris" aka chrisz300zx

sold at least 4 copies of normal edition, and 2 copies of the CE for 200 each.

How is this fair, when people like this are allowed to work the system every single week. 

chris.jpg chris.jpg

chris 2.jpg

LRG sold out of their Wonder Boy in minutes.
Coincidentally, "Chris" aka chrisz300zx
sold at least 4 copies of normal edition, and 2 copies of the CE for 200 each.
How is this fair, when people like this are allowed to work the system every single week.
This should have been 1 each on WB.

LRG won't care since the product moved, but if they really thought this wasn't going to be like oddworld/Shante they need need to fire whoever is in charge of their product forecasting.

I'll grab my copy at 6, but this is the shit that makes people stop supporting a company; blatant disregard.

LRG won't care since the product moved, but if they really thought this wasn't going to be like oddworld/Shante they need need to fire whoever is in charge of their product forecasting.

I'll grab my copy at 6, but this is the shit that makes people stop supporting a company; blatant disregard.
extremely fast sellouts are good for company image and feed into the idea that you need to be ready to buy future releases instantly without even having time to think. buying something that sold out in 2 minutes flat feels like more of an accomplishment compared to something that lingered around for 20 minutes.

also anyone know how this seller got 30+ copies of ghost blade? there was a limit of one per order iirc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS4-Ghost-Blade-HD-Collector-Limited-Boxset-Chinese-English-Japanese-Korean-/232422698354?hash=item361d78ed72:g:vSMAAOSw8GhZfBli

extremely fast sellouts are good for company image and feed into the idea that you need to be ready to buy future releases instantly without even having time to think. buying something that sold out in 2 minutes flat feels like more of an accomplishment compared to something that lingered around for 20 minutes.

also anyone know how this seller got 30+ copies of ghost blade? there was a limit of one per order iirc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS4-Ghost-Blade-HD-Collector-Limited-Boxset-Chinese-English-Japanese-Korean-/232422698354?hash=item361d78ed72:g:vSMAAOSw8GhZfBli
Ghost Blade was available for purchase after the "sign-up only pre-order" phase was over, wasn't it? Wouldn't surprise me if PA allowed bulk orders.

Ghost Blade was available for purchase after the "sign-up only pre-order" phase was over, wasn't it? Wouldn't surprise me if PA allowed bulk orders.
hm yeah that's probably it. i just checked tachyon project and it's current quantity limit is 5 copies

Well I missed the Wonder Boy CE a second time, 

congratulations to Chris, he got a second one already selling on ebay for 200

and he can add that to the 5 regular editions he's selling. 

Jokes on Chris, the price is going to skyrocket and he'll be missing out on money by selling his early.

I fully advocate buying Chris garbage items and filling buyer reports, eBay doesn't give one fuck about sellers and they'll ban his ass

The guy on eBay is gaming the system to buy beyond sell limits

The guy on eBay is gaming the system to buy beyond sell limits
yeah, that seller is known as "Chris" aka chrisz300zx.

He buys double the limits, and no one can find him. Even LRG supposedly tried. However, we are closing in on him.

He ships out of the 90012 area code.

Due to the proximity of China town, and that he sells Honda parts chances are good he has a Asian background.

He needs to be banned from LRG, he flipped 3 CE for 600 dollars !!!!

I fully advocate buying Chris garbage items and filling buyer reports, eBay doesn't give one fuck about sellers and they'll ban his ass
You really gotta get a life and stop worrying about what and how much Chris sells. Same thing goes to Neowarp. I'm going to contact him or her and get them to read about all the salty tears from thread. I bet he'll or she'll see they're a LRG celebrity. If anyone needs to be banned from eBay it's you with your way of thinking.

TLDR: Get a Life!

It is going to ultimately be a matter of personal preference but IMO, ours will be better. I don't even care to make money on it - it's a matter of principle. We're aiming for a foil embossed slip-cover, folded poster, soundtrack CD, reversible cover art, and manual. It will be $29.99 - not a penny more - and limited to only 2,000 copies.

Just for the record, and so people understand why things are the way they are: PA manufactures their components and assembles their boxes in China. If we could pay our labor $2 an hour and get materials for next to nothing, we'd have the capacity to be more competitive with our prices; however, we pay our staff livable US wages (lowest wage on our staff is $12.50/hr). We also manufacture all of our components locally rather than in China to ensure quality and to support our local economy.

Additionally, I started Limited Run to not only preserve games but to help developers out with a new revenue stream. The extra doodads PA includes and the constant discounts they provide just dilute what the developers ultimately earn. I didn't set out to create another race to the bottom like Steam sales and bundles. I want developers to earn what their games are worth. I want composers to earn money on their soundtracks. When PA bundles a soundtrack, the composers probably get pennies for each - that sucks. When we sell ours they can make up to $12/unit! I get where you guys sit on the consumer side of this - it's better for you. I totally understand that! But if the developers and composers don't make adequate money, they can't keep creating. My dev company almost went under a hundred times so this cause is near and dear to me.

Not that I'm implying that this isn't the case for PA, but when you buy a game or soundtrack or collector's edition from us - you're not lining my pockets with that purchase - you're giving hard-working developers and composers the financial support they need to continue creating games and music. I know for a fact we've saved some devs from going under. More than anything else, I'm proud as hell about that.
I can see where you're coming from when it comes to soundtracks possibly adding more to cost than they would for other publishers but what about Lili? If I'm reading it right it looks like it is a $15 premium for a slipcover and manual.

You really gotta get a life and stop worrying about what and how much Chris sells. Same thing goes to Neowarp. I'm going to contact him or her and get them to read about all the salty tears from thread. I bet he'll or she'll see they're a LRG celebrity. If anyone needs to be banned from eBay it's you with your way of thinking.

TLDR: Get a Life!
hey you really gotta go fuck yourself

You guys do need to get a life. Chris is an outlier; it really isn't affecting you, get over it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Axiom Verge Multiverse Editions are now available to preorder at Gamestop in case anyone wanted to use their excess Gamestop credit on it.

What's that game about?
LOL @ "It's a Horror Game"

The TL;DR version would be: Someone built a building on a bad juju spot (bad juju being people dying and being trapped as ghosts), it is used for multiple things (Hospital, School, blah) over a course of years. Try to fix it by having some asshole make 'amulets' to fix to good juju, doesn't work.

Dude goes to school on White Day (Asian Valentine's day basically) to surprise THOT bright and early, not good idea. Don't die? Have fun.

I played a shit English fan translation forever ago on PC never beat it cause I'm a wuss. It was pretty fun from what I remember. Maybe comparable to Fatal Frame in the sense that it's Asian, Ghosty and there's some nonsensical puzzles (Take X item to Y location to spawn Z ghost for a jump scare). Maybe more recently comparable to 'The Joy of Creation' or 'Emily Wants to Play', but White Day has a pretty big and confusing map from what I remember as well.

Everybody talking about how great the Ghost Blade HD LE was got me to email PA asking if I could still pay for my order. It was one of the ones that was refunded for some reason. At first they thought I was saying I never got my refund but after a little back and forth they actually reverted my cancelled order and let me pay for it again. It shipped out yesterday. I'm pretty impressed because I was expecting them to just say sorry it's sold out. Granted they are the ones who originally messed up the order was cancelled a couple weeks ago so I didn't expect them to still have any.

im trying to redeem the digital copies of Strafe and Shadow Warrior that i bought from SRG. it says ps4/pc for Strafe and says PS4 for Shadow Warrior. I cant redeem them because they are 15 digit. anyone else have the same issue?

I've always been of the opinion that homebrew games don't count. I think most collectors probably feel the same.
Personally, if it doesn't have the Nintendo/Sega seal or an official item number, I don't count it.

The numbers on the bottom of the spine of the LRG games, are those official PS4 item numbers or something else? Like the PS1/2 SLUS-#### and stuff. I notice most PS4 games have CUSA-####

Don't forget that Sine Mora EX is out today! I'm heading into Gamestop to grab one. $20 for a physical copy of that is a nice little deal.

bread's done
Back