Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not my place to reveal it, but it'll be very clear, very soon, why we just wiped ourselves clean of the game. If we released it, it would have taken space on the schedule from something that wasn't already released elsewhere and in order to release it and better EAS' release, it would have generated no revenue for anyone involved. Alongside what I know to be coming, everything just compounded to make our release redundant. It stinks, but dropping it was the right move.

If you missed the game, do not rush to buy it on eBay. Values are about to tank.
So what you are saying is it is getting a wide release from someone? Maybe from Nicalis, NISA, or another small publisher?

Either that or EAS/Play-Asia is just going to release more Asian copies.

The End Is Nigh arrived yesterday. Comes with a manual and a little squishy guy.

Question for those Nicalis Switch collectors : Do you keep the stickers from the wrapping? I do. I put them on the front of the cases.

The End Is Nigh arrived yesterday. Comes with a manual and a little squishy guy.

Question for those Nicalis Switch collectors : Do you keep the stickers from the wrapping? I do. I put them on the front of the cases.
I'm pissed, as I forgot this was due out, and missed the Amazon discount. Oh well, I needed to save funds anyway. I'll just try to grab the first edition before it goes away at some point.

To answer your question, I haven't opened any of mine, as I don't have an NS yet. But once I do, I'll for sure cut around it and put it in the manual for safe keeping. As that's the OCD collector in me. LOL

Is the little squishy guy in the game case? I haven't opened it yet since I don't have my switch yet.

I'm pissed, as I forgot this was due out, and missed the Amazon discount. Oh well, I needed to save funds anyway. I'll just try to grab the first edition before it goes away at some point.

To answer your question, I haven't opened any of mine, as I don't have an NS yet. But once I do, I'll for sure cut around it and put it in the manual for safe keeping. As that's the OCD collector in me. LOL

Why didn’t I think to just cut around the stickers? Oh well; they still look cool on the cases; I just have to carefully peel them from the packaging. The End Is Nigh actually has two stickers. One that says something along the lines of “from the people who brought you The Binding of Isaac” (this one got messed up a bit during the peeling), and then the usual “goodies inside!” sticker.

Is the little squishy guy in the game case? I haven't opened it yet since I don't have my switch yet.
Yep; squishy guy is inside in his own little packaging.

Why didn’t I think to just cut around the stickers? Oh well; they still look cool on the cases; I just have to carefully peel them from the packaging. The End Is Nigh actually has two stickers. One that says something along the lines of “from the people who brought you The Binding of Isaac” (this one got messed up a bit during the peeling), and then the usual “goodies inside!” sticker.
Actually, to peel it off and put it on the case would work for me as well. It's just in the past, certain things like this once removed, no longer stick. So I just got in the habit of cutting around them and keeping it on the plastic, as it was just easier.

Actually, to peel it off and put it on the case would work for me as well. It's just in the past, certain things like this once removed, no longer stick. So I just got in the habit of cutting around them and keeping it on the plastic, as it was just easier.
That's how I've done it since my first cassette tapes that had stickers on the plastic through my most recent movies and games. Keeping the sticker on the plastic seemed like the only way to really preserve the sticker.

Watched a couple trailers. It looks funny, but really weird in terms of how the characters seem to control. This is something I feel like I would want to try before buying.
I'm on the fence too.. it looks like a very poor man's smash brothers. It's a tough sell at $29.99 though but I'm considering it..

I've played Gang Beasts the past 2 years at PAX and it is an absolute riot. There was a constant crowd of at least 10-15 people crammed around the small tv they were using to play it, and everyone was laughing and shouting and having a lot of fun. Its a truly goofy good time with lots of fun moments. I was sold on it within seconds of playing a 4 player free for all. Its hard to tell just how fun it is without playing it.

MGames.jpg

Here's google translation:
together. Future release is always a secret, which is why we do not want to reveal too much. But what Playstation vita collectors should be allowed for is the Japanese cult title "Sayonara UmiharaKawase ++" as well as the not entirely unknown shoot em up "Sine Mora". For both platformers we will release "99Vidas" among others, for ps4 there will be the shoot'em-up "Stardust Galaxy Warriors". Further we will announce

30 dollars for the cart 10 for the game? It feels like we're being punished for using carts on the switch. There was no upcharge on 3ds games.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The price is definitely because of the cartridge costs. At least it’ll be 20% off with Amazon / GCU.

People in the PSN thread are reporting finding physical copies of Paranormal Activity for PS4 for $20 ($16 after GCU) at Best Buy locations.  Also, it looks like copies of Max The Curse of Brotherhood and  Surf World Series are starting to appear on Ebay with ESRB ratings finally.  According to the publisher, they should be available to buy soon on Amazon.  

I’m trying to buy gang beasts from iam8bit but the only shipping options are fed ex saver for $24 or fed ex 2 day for $30. That is absolutely ridiculous , a first class envelope would cost under $3. Why is that not an option? Guess I’ll have to pass on this since they are scamming people on shipping options.

I’m trying to buy gang beasts from iam8bit but the only shipping options are fed ex saver for $24 or fed ex 2 day for $30. That is absolutely ridiculous , a first class envelope would cost under $3. Why is that not an option? Guess I’ll have to pass on this since they are scamming people on shipping options.
That's odd. I just purchased What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4) from them a few days ago and the shipping was around $4.50 I believe. I would contact their customer service about it.

That's odd. I just purchased What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4) from them a few days ago and the shipping was around $4.50 I believe. I would contact their customer service about it.
Hmm maybe it’s a glitch on their page. I don’t see how anyone aside from fedex benefits from $24 shipping on a 4 oz package. I had this happen before when I tried to buy Rez and had to pass on that one as well. They need to offer USPS shipping as an option.

I was only charged [SIZE=10pt]$4.48. Just wait until they fix it. They aren't going to run out with that shipping price. ;)[/SIZE]

Why would you assume they are trying to scam people? Maybe it is a website error? I ordered a copy a couple days ago and paid like $3-$4 in shipping if I correctly recall.

Why would you assume they are trying to scam people? Maybe it is a website error? I ordered a copy a couple days ago and paid like $3-$4 in shipping if I correctly recall.
Exactly why I backtracked and said no one benefits but fedex. I was just frustrated because this is the second game I’ve tried to buy from them in the past two weeks where it tried to charge me $24 shipping. I will try to contact them.

I found a copy of Paranormal Activity. It wasn't on the shelves anywhere at Best Buy and I went to customer service to ask. The guy looked it up on the computer and all that came up were the movies. I showed him the photo a CAG had posted a couple of days ago and instead of just giving up and telling me they didn't have it he was helpful enough to call the other employees in the store asking if anyone had seen the game before. About 5 minutes later another guy walked up and handed me the one copy they had. The customer service dude found it interesting that it wasn't in their system anywhere but did come up when he entered the SKU. Anyway, moral of the story is I'm appreciative of their customer service and glad I didn't have to be subjected to the Ebay scalp machine. 

3:00 pm west coast time in the US on Saturday afternoon and it's 30 euros plus shipping so figure around $45 total based on their previous release.
Thanks I see they just listed it on their site. That seems kind of expensive but it does look like a cool game. I’ll probably give them a chance and pick one up. Are you buying a copy?

I found a copy of Paranormal Activity. It wasn't on the shelves anywhere at Best Buy and I went to customer service to ask. The guy looked it up on the computer and all that came up were the movies. I showed him the photo a CAG had posted a couple of days ago and instead of just giving up and telling me they didn't have it he was helpful enough to call the other employees in the store asking if anyone had seen the game before. About 5 minutes later another guy walked up and handed me the one copy they had. The customer service dude found it interesting that it wasn't in their system anywhere but did come up when he entered the SKU. Anyway, moral of the story is I'm appreciative of their customer service and glad I didn't have to be subjected to the Ebay scalp machine.
What sku did you use? The UPC from the back of the case? I would like to go try this but want to have all my ducks in a row.

Looks like it's 6167719 going off the receipt I got. Either that or 3003095. Both sets of numbers are on the receipt.
Awesome, thank you. I actually just left the store and they were able to find one copy with the UPC! Thanks again for the advice, it was very much appreciated!

Which store, so I know which store not to go to.

I had no clue Paranormal Activity had gotten a retail release - thanks for the heads up!!
Apparently it was released on 12/12 and Best Buy stores are only receiving 1-2 copies each (according to an employee I spoke with today).

I checked two stores on my way home today:

At the first store, I had no luck finding it in the PS4 section so I asked an employee if they'd gotten any copies in, using the picture from this thread as a reference.
He looked over the shelves I'd just checked, randomly said I 'should just buy Tekken 7 instead', and then insisted I could just order it on the website despite the fact that I'd explained that I'd already checked and it didn't seem to be listed online. After he tried to pull it up on Bestbuy.com (and failed) he commented that the picture of the box was 'probably just someone trying to troll me' and I just said I'd check another store & left.

Store #2 also didn't have any copies on the shelf but they did have a card/space for it. Again I asked an employee for help and he said they actually did get one copy in but it was already gone. However, he was able to pull up the game in the system inventory and checked other local stores for me - a far off store supposedly had 2 copies and the first store I went to should have had 1 in-stock (bah!).
Instead of trying my luck at the other stores, he was able to order me a copy directly from their warehouse and have it shipped to my house! :D

After GCU & a $10 Reward Cert I got it for $6.36 with free shipping and it should arrive by 12/20.

My receipt shows the same 6167719 & 3003095 numbers JoshTX mentioned earlier today so if you aren't having any luck finding a copy at your local store, ask if they'll order you a copy! :)

bread's done
Back