Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I didn't know this since I don't shop GS much, but I just found out today they dont do holds over the phone anymore, It was news to me so FYI.

I did manage to pick up a copy. Called and was told they had one extra, got to the store and and they said they had 2 now from another box that came in just before I got there. Was gonna grab that too, but another person came in asking about it as the employee was grabbing the game.

Decided not to be a douche and only purchased the one.
I called a gamestop this morning and they held a copy for me

Does GS usually call when a preorder is ready for pickup? I didn’t receive anything for my SOM order and the store doesn’t answer their phones. I don’t want to waste my time driving there if it’s not available. I ordered online for in store pickup the day it went on sale..
They used to call, but if you have the Gamestop app and your account is linked you can check your pre-order status via the app.

Didn't pre order SOM
but was able to get 2 copies just now.
My store had an extra copy on the floor when I picked up my pre-order. I almost picked it up so that I could trade or sell one of them but decided to not be that guy and it seems like eBay already has plenty of people trying to flip the game already.

I just now picked up Secret of Mana brand new sealed not gutted. Easy pickup. Seems like stores near me still have copies still in stock. So if you can't pick this up today you should be fine until the weekend. Just know if a big Youtuber puts out a video talking about this game becoming rare it could change availability by a lot.

cosmetic costumes, I don't think you get the dlc unless you preordered? there's no code on my receipt anyways, unless it's integrated into the game somehow
I got a pre-order code for the DLC on my receipt. Just added three costumes I believe. One of the was a Moogle costume and I can't remember the other two.

I just now picked up Secret of Mana brand new sealed not gutted. Easy pickup. Seems like stores near me still have copies still in stock. So if you can't pick this up today you should be fine until the weekend. Just know if a big Youtuber puts out a video talking about this game becoming rare it could change availability by a lot.
Cue MetalJesusRocks next video featuring RadicalReggie!

Yeah you can never tell when there is an actual shortage in stock, or if it's just the GS employees hyping the rarity, or else the intentional thin distribution from GS corporate in order to drive demand.  The GS guys near my place are actual nice guys, but they definitely drink the kool-aid.  Everything is OOS and super exclusive !!

That’s messed up, why even preorder if they can sell your copy to someone else? I finally got ahold of the store and she just said it’s in stock so come pick it up. I asked if she had me in the system as reserved and I was told she didn’t have time to look and it “should be fine”. It is GameStop so I shouldn’t be surprised.
I'm so annoyed with Gamestop as always. I go into the store and the guy looked up my order. He said "I see you preordered the game but it shows locked in the system so I cant mark the pre-order complete. You need to log in and cancel the order." So he did have another copy and sold it to me but he said several times to make sure I cancel online so I don't get charged the $5 fee since he couldn't mark the pre-order as picked up. After calling into GS and waiting on the phone, they kept saying they cant find my order and they don't know what to tell me. They said the store should have cancelled it and I should go back into the store, which isn't going to happen because it's a half hour away. If I get charged again I am going to be pissed. Literally one of the worst store chains I've ever dealt with.

I'm so annoyed with Gamestop as always. I go into the store and the guy looked up my order. He said "I see you preordered the game but it shows locked in the system so I cant mark the pre-order complete. You need to log in and cancel the order." So he did have another copy and sold it to me but he said several times to make sure I cancel online so I don't get charged the $5 fee since he couldn't mark the pre-order as picked up. After calling into GS and waiting on the phone, they kept saying they cant find my order and they don't know what to tell me. They said the store should have cancelled it and I should go back into the store, which isn't going to happen because it's a half hour away. If I get charged again I am going to be pissed. Literally one of the worst store chains I've ever dealt with.
They don't actually charge you the $5 fee. I have tons of orders I placed on Gamestop.com for store pickup and the store always processes it as a store sale (I assume to help them with their numbers) so it never shows picked up.

I was surprised when GS called me Tuesday and told me they were midnight release for Secret of Mana.  Went last night and picked the game up with about 8 other people.  Had to be in the store and rung up prior to closing (9pm).  A feel people showed up at 9:01pm and were told they had to come the next day.

It now sits on top of a pile of other unopened games.

I'm pretty sure they don't charge you $5 for not picking up a preorder. In fact, I've done it a few times and just moved the $5 deposit to another game.

I'm pretty sure they don't charge you $5 for not picking up a preorder. In fact, I've done it a few times and just moved the $5 deposit to another game.
I think he's talking about preordering on Gamestop.com. They have some fine print at the bottom of the confirmation that basically gives them the right to charge you $5 if you preorder online for store pickup but never pickup. I have been doing preorders that way for several years and never had them charge me the $5 for failing to pickup. On the other hand, they have given my preorders away on several occasions.

I think he's talking about preordering on Gamestop.com. They have some fine print at the bottom of the confirmation that basically gives them the right to charge you $5 if you preorder online for store pickup but never pickup. I have been doing preorders that way for several years and never had them charge me the $5 for failing to pickup. On the other hand, they have given my preorders away on several occasions.
Ahh, I see. I guess there is a slight difference with how in store and online-to-store preorders are handled.

Ahh, I see. I guess there is a slight difference with how in store and online-to-store preorders are handled.
"Please pickup your product within 48 hours of store arrival. If the product is not picked up within 48 hours, you authorize us to charge a $5.00 fee to the credit card you provide, to cover the cost of shipping and handling to the store."

I actually was able to get in touch with someone else at the store. I had to call several times (can't leave a message because it says their mailbox is full) but eventually got to speak with someone who seemed to care. He said he had never heard about the $5 fee but wanted to make sure I didn't get charged. He called their internal help line and said he took care of it and I won't be charged because of some error in their system. I found it odd that even though I preordered, their system wouldn't let them close it out in the store. They must have an ancient system that sync's communication between the website and stores.

They must have an ancient system that sync's communication between the website and stores.
There's almost always a work around for things like that, even when a system is old. Sadly, it requires those that are using it, know what the hell they're doing. So yeah, good luck with that happening. LOL

I was surprised when GS called me Tuesday and told me they were midnight release for Secret of Mana. Went last night and picked the game up with about 8 other people. Had to be in the store and rung up prior to closing (9pm). A feel people showed up at 9:01pm and were told they had to come the next day.

It now sits on top of a pile of other unopened games.
Congraturations, your rife is now comprete.

Lol cancelled my Secret of Mana today.  Gamestop had extra copies, and two smaller shops near me have the same version in stock as well.  Gamestop exclusive my ass.

Can't decide if I want to spend $35 for Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition for Switch or just buy it from the eshop for $14. The CAG in me says to go with the digital version, but the collector (i.e. sucker) in me wants that physical case and cartridge. I actually dont really want all the extra goodies from the multiverse editon but BB doesnt carry the standard edition anymore and it'd only be $2 more than buying the standard edition somewhere else.

I preordered SoM for shipping back in December, and Gamestop just notified me that they canceled the order.  :evil:

On another note, it's ridiculous that Gamestop and Play Asia send status updates with only the order number, but not the contents of the order. I don't have my order numbers memorized!

I preordered SoM for shipping back in December, and Gamestop just notified me that they canceled the order. :evil:

On another note, it's ridiculous that Gamestop and Play Asia send status updates with only the order number, but not the contents of the order. I don't have my order numbers memorized!
They cancelled your in store order or one that was supposed to be shipped?

Can't decide if I want to spend $35 for Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition for Switch or just buy it from the eshop for $14. The CAG in me says to go with the digital version, but the collector (i.e. sucker) in me wants that physical case and cartridge. I actually dont really want all the extra goodies from the multiverse editon but BB doesnt carry the standard edition anymore and it'd only be $2 more than buying the standard edition somewhere else.
I think you answered your own question.

went to pickup my Secret of Mana. ScamStop cashier slipped in a $3 warranty charge. scummy bastard. luckily i saw it on the credit card screen pad.

thatsthejoke.jpg

In case anyone missed my post above, you can get Secret of Mana new/sealed for $40 USD shipped from here too:

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/secret-mana-ps4-p-25556.html

With no tax in the US & free shipping, it actually comes out to be cheaper and easier than dealing with GameStop.
I doubt this is the North American version. In Canada EB Games (aka Gamestop) has the exclusive on it. I suspect VGP is selling a European edition and trying to pass it off as a North American version by showing artwork with the ESRB rating.

I doubt this is the North American version. In Canada EB Games (aka Gamestop) has the exclusive on it. I suspect VGP is selling a European edition and trying to pass it off as a North American version by showing artwork with the ESRB rating.
VGP actually gets their own stock of 'exclusive' items quite frequently. Retailer exclusive deals in the US aren't always the same for Canada, too. Further, in my experience, they very clearly label imports.

VGP actually gets their own stock of 'exclusive' items quite frequently. Retailer exclusive deals in the US aren't always the same for Canada, too. Further, in my experience, they very clearly label imports.
Yeah, I agree as I've seen them have their own items many times. They also used to get reprints done for certain titles, so they are far from small players in the video game retail world. If they have an item shown as NA, then that's what it is in my experience with them as well.

if anyone lives in Georgia, there is a Used copy of SoM available:

Beaver Ruin - Lilburn, GA 30047 - PreOwned

It’s very likely the version sold in Canada by EB Games (which is ends by GameStop) is ex’s rly the same in d dry way as the one sold by GameStop.

Like others have said, too, VGP often has North American “retailer exclusives” in their inventory, and do mention if their items are imports.

There's another Used copy available in Georgia now

Perry Crossroads - Perry, GA 31069 - PreOwned
Beaver Ruin - Lilburn, GA 30047 - PreOwned

It looks like SoM is available online again from Gamestop. I doubt the stores will get more, but maybe this things won't be so scarce after all. 

Take it with a grain of salt, but the Gamestop Manager Im cool with is saying Secret of Mana aint gettin a second print run and whatever they have is it besides a final shipment.

Of course he could be bsing.

More Secret of Mana used copies

Watauga Village - BOONE, NC 28607 - PreOwned
Centre Park - RIDGELAND, MS 39157 - PreOwned
Springfield S/C - Springfield, MO 65804 - PreOwned
Tri County S/C - Schertz, TX 78154 - PreOwned
SLO Promenade - San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 - PreOwned

More Secret of Mana used copies

Watauga Village - BOONE, NC 28607 - PreOwned
Centre Park - RIDGELAND, MS 39157 - PreOwned
Springfield S/C - Springfield, MO 65804 - PreOwned
Tri County S/C - Schertz, TX 78154 - PreOwned
SLO Promenade - San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 - PreOwned
So are all these PreOwned copies from customers who didn't like it and traded it back in? Or just played and finished it that fast and is now done? It seems crazy that a game that just came out would have so many PreOwned copies out there already.

So are all these PreOwned copies from customers who didn't like it and traded it back in? Or just played and finished it that fast and is now done? It seems crazy that a game that just came out would have so many PreOwned copies out there already.
No idea, my guess would be it's people who were let down and decided to just return it, if you have power up elite then you can get the game for $27.99 used tho

bread's done
Back