Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
WRONG

139 PS4 @ 4000 average print run = 556,000
79 PSV @ 1800 average print run = 237,000
30 Switch @ 8000 average print run = 240,000
5 PSVR @ 2000 average print run = 10,000

Thats over a million copies, about as much as Detroit: Become Human
No idea wtf you're arguing, but you're wrong. DBH sold over 2 million and based on your number of LRG Sony titles, that's 220+ skus.

Research and math is hard.

Anyone played these games? Looks like a blend of Ys combat and simple Zelda puzzles.
Reminds me of Shiren the Wanderer & the izuna games. Im probably going to get it but it doesn’t look too impressive. Knights of pen & paper, personally, looked like a much better release.

WRONG

139 PS4 @ 4000 average print run = 556,000
79 PSV @ 1800 average print run = 237,000
30 Switch @ 8000 average print run = 240,000
5 PSVR @ 2000 average print run = 10,000

Thats over a million copies, about as much as Detroit: Become Human
Lol I'm not sure if you were trying to prove his point for him, but you did a really good job!

I snagged a copy and kinda forgot about it, but I'm now being told by others that the Roller Coaster Tycoon PS4 game with PSVR compatibility is getting really difficult to find. Apparently it only pops up on Ebay occasionally, is sold out at all major retailers, and searching Gamestop's used database is yielding fewer results than Job Simulator was back when everyone was panicking. I doubt it's a good game, but if you see it in the wild don't assume it's easy to find later unless you know for a fact you don't want it.
Edit: I checked at Gamestops in a lot of zip codes and no one seems to have it.

Yeah. No idea on print run but I imagine it had to be pretty damn low. It was only in stock on Walmart's website for 4 or 5 days. I don't think Best Buy or Target even carried it.

Lol I'm not sure if you were trying to prove his point for him, but you did a really good job!
So one million copies sold is not around the equivalent of an average AAA game like Last Guardian, Detroit or Ghost Recon or Uncharted Lost Legacy??? Because that's what I'm seeing.

So one million copies sold is not around the equivalent of an average AAA game like Last Guardian, Detroit or Ghost Recon or Uncharted Lost Legacy??? Because that's what I'm seeing.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure we could find many other examples of AAA titles that sold around 1M copies. So if that's all you were going for then you're right and maybe I misunderstood your intent. However, the point being made before was that LRG doesn't sell enough games to get any special treatment from Sony, which is true. Comparing LRG's total sales across all platforms to a handful of games that underperformed relative to expectations (from Sony's point of view) is a great way to prove it.

Ummm, the whole point of the "AAA" discussion" was that why would Sony give LRG titles priority over a AAA title? What your showing is LRG total over 3 years, where I'll assume even the lowest average title release at retail is in the 50,000-100,000 range, which still leaves LRG at the back of the production line in terms of priority.

Sadly, discussions like this move rather fast and often times points of conversations are lost in the shuffle. As what you posted really shows the point of why every other game being made, is going to get priority over a LRG or other "limited" game producer in regards to Sony's production lines.

So to get back on topic, if Sony tells LRG we can have game "X" ready by "Y" date, and then they get behind because of other more money making situations, this can't be helped by LRG.

Add to that Sony isn’t going to give preference based on Nintendo Switch games. More to the point I don’t think LRG gets any special treatment from Sony and if anything they get their small print games pushed in production for the bigger orders which is why they can no longer nail down ship dates even in the slower part of the year. I’m actually kind of surprised Sony hasn’t limited them on production SKU’s for PS4 stuff the same way they did for Vita even before the cart shortages.

Yeah. No idea on print run but I imagine it had to be pretty damn low. It was only in stock on Walmart's website for 4 or 5 days. I don't think Best Buy or Target even carried it.
Amazon is showing a 12/31/19 release date on it (as well as the other recent Atari games that were hard to find - Roller Coaster Tycoon Switch, Atari Flashback Classics Switch, etc) - which lends a little truth to the rumor that Atari was looking to better distribute these games this year as they were very poorly distributed last year (only Gamestop, Walmart and Target seemed to carry them and they didn't have many it seemed). I can see all of these Atari games getting a wider release over the next few months.

https://www.amazon.com/RollerCoaster-Tycoon-Joyride-PS4-PlayStation-4/dp/B0788RWS2S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=roller+coaster+tycoon+vr&qid=1552659649&s=videogames&sr=1-1-catcorr

Yacht Club is publishing another third party game which will be announced at pax east.

Here's the pic that goes with the announcement:

yacht_club_games_publishing_teaser.png

Play Asia is taking pre-orders for the Japanese release of VA-11 Hall-a on Switch/PS4. Anyone know if it will have English support? Also, I can't order it from Amazon Japan for some reason (it's cheaper there).

Play Asia is taking pre-orders for the Japanese release of VA-11 Hall-a on Switch/PS4. Anyone know if it will have English support? Also, I can't order it from Amazon Japan for some reason (it's cheaper there).
Japanese Vita does not. None of us will know until someone got a copy and find out.

I sure hope both the Switch and PS4 version will have English support.

Japanese Vita does not. None of us will know until someone got a copy and find out.
Yup, found that out on my own trying to find a physical copy of the Vita version . I still refuse to pay the resellers price for the LRG version, would rather go digital.

Gotta love Amazon, ordered their last physical copy of Axiom Verge for the Vita and of course they ship the fucking thing in a bubble mailer. I'm sure you can guess how it arrived.

I wonder if lrg will carry it on ps4 since before they did a vita only release. If so I'd love to get it on ps4.

With the Messenger being put up for order tomorrow, do you guys know what time Special Reserve Games starts their pre orders? Also did they mention how many of each system (PS4 and Switch) they are printing?  I tried to look for the information on their web site but couldn't really find any answers. Thanks.

With the Messenger being put up for order tomorrow, do you guys know what time Special Reserve Games starts their pre orders? Also did they mention how many of each system (PS4 and Switch) they are printing? I tried to look for the information on their web site but couldn't really find any answers. Thanks.
Noon Texas time and it's an open preorder on both SRG and LRG for both platforms.

With the Messenger being put up for order tomorrow, do you guys know what time Special Reserve Games starts their pre orders? Also did they mention how many of each system (PS4 and Switch) they are printing? I tried to look for the information on their web site but couldn't really find any answers. Thanks.
I'd like to know this too. They've nevet used the term preorder before so I'm hoping its an open order kind of thing.

Wish LRG would just show us the variant artwork today rather than hold it out for tomorrow
It's not even certain the art will be posted tomorrow. It sounds like Josh and Douglas are at GDC and nobody back at the shop has access to the art which was apparently submitted to them late anyway.

It's an open preorder for a couple of weeks though, so there is no rush to order this week.
They should’ve had it available before the preorders open. It’s pretty crappy to open preorders without showing their artwork when the only reason to order from them is the artwork itself.

The Messenger is now available to order at Special reserve Games and LRG.  Special Reserve is offering free shipping to all preorders.

They should’ve had it available before the preorders open. It’s pretty crappy to open preorders without showing their artwork when the only reason to order from them is the artwork itself.
Again, what's the rush? You have two weeks to decide on both sites. If they don't post the art, just go with SRG as they are offering free shipping, an outer box and some type of hardcover booklet.

Agreed. While no one has to rush to get this due to the pre-order system, it's not a good look to be offering a product like that. You'd think that LRG would become more legitimate as they grow, but that's clearly not always the case. But I'm just over here having reasonable expectations for how a company does business, so fuck me and such.

Agreed. While no one has to rush to get this due to the pre-order system, it's not a good look to be offering a product like that. You'd think that LRG would become more legitimate as they grow, but that's clearly not always the case. But I'm just over here having reasonable expectations for how a company does business, so fuck me and such.
Or, you know, holding them to a higher standard than major publishers and companies. There's a reason people do unboxing videos or do videos showing different versions of steelbooks and often those things don't come out until the day or two before launch. While it would have been nice to see the art, it's really not a big deal given the open nature of the pre-order.

Or, you know, holding them to a higher standard than major publishers and companies. There's a reason people do unboxing videos or do videos showing different versions of steelbooks and often those things don't come out until the day or two before launch. While it would have been nice to see the art, it's really not a big deal given the open nature of the pre-order.
Nope. Larger publishers do anti-consumer things on a regular basis, and I'm not cool with that either. This one seemed particularly silly given that the different artwork is the sole reason to buy the one that LRG put up. When I see a company do something anti-consumer (anywhere on the spectrum), I call it what it is, and that's the end of it. I leave out the mental gymnastics of defending the company against my own valid criticism or making excuses for them. Like I said in my prior post, the open pre-order thing makes this no big deal. But it's still stupid, and on the scale of +/- it's on the negative side for my interests. It's okay to stop the thought there, just one step before the consumer starts making excuses for the company.

I'm a pretty big fan of, and advocate for, myself, not companies. Let the people on LRG's bankroll make excuses for the silly, inconvenient, or anti-consumer things that they do--same for all companies. There is an actual position with a title and salary attached to that behavior at most companies.

Nope. Larger publishers do anti-consumer things on a regular basis, and I'm not cool with that either. This one seemed particularly silly given that the different artwork is the sole reason to buy the one that LRG put up. When I see a company do something anti-consumer (anywhere on the spectrum), I call it what it is, and that's the end of it. I leave out the mental gymnastics of defending the company against my own valid criticism or making excuses for them. Like I said in my prior post, the open pre-order thing makes this no big deal. But it's still stupid, and on the scale of +/- it's on the negative side for my interests. It's okay to stop the thought there, just one step before the consumer starts making excuses for the company.

I'm a pretty big fan of, and advocate for, myself, not companies. Let the people on LRG's bankroll make excuses for the silly, inconvenient, or anti-consumer things that they do--same for all companies. There is an actual position with a title and salary attached to that behavior at most companies.
Cool, so where can I find all of your posts calling out large companies for all of the anti-consumer things they do?

Cool, so where can I find all of your posts calling out large companies for all of the anti-consumer things they do?
Sorry, please point me to the dedicated "Ubisoft" or "AAA Publishers Only" thread. Once you do, I'll make sure that I post said analyses there more often.

Sorry, please point me to the dedicated "Ubisoft" or "AAA Publishers Only" thread. Once you do, I'll make sure that I post said analyses there more often.
Exactly my point. LRG is held to a different standard because people have used a discussion thread about their releases and frankly this second thread about all niche releases as their personal complaint forum for the company's business practices. It's old and tired and if you care so much about that discussion, take it to another subforum.

Exactly my point. LRG is held to a different standard because people have used a discussion thread about their releases and frankly this second thread about all niche releases as their personal complaint forum for the company's business practices. It's old and tired and if you care so much about that discussion, take it to another subforum.
I got about 4 sentences into re-stating and rephrasing my prior--largely ignored--post and then stopped and made a smarter decision. It's not worth it. If this most recent post from you is really what you have taken away from our short conversation then that is your prerogative and anything further is a waste of time, which is quite precious. You're the one stuck actually living inside that noggin after all, so have at it. :wave:

Wish LRG would just show us the variant artwork today rather than hold it out for tomorrow
This has nothing to do with LRG. Jeff Smith, head of Special Reserve Games, is holding back the artwork for both versions until after the preorder ends. He stated that the artwork shown so far is just placeholder art, so both covers have yet to be revealed. He wants people to buy The Messenger for the game, not the art. He mentioned this on Discord.

This has nothing to do with LRG. Jeff Smith, head of Special Reserve Games, is holding back the artwork for both versions until after the preorder ends. He stated that the artwork shown so far is just placeholder art, so both covers have yet to be revealed. He wants people to buy The Messenger for the game, not the art. He mentioned this on Discord.
LOL, well now there is ZERO reason to buy the LRG offering in my honest opinion, unless you want the gamble on what their cover may look like Vs. SRG.

That's incredibly stupid.

CONSPIRACY THEORY: Jeff Smith knows only one cover is good, and the other one trash, so he is waiting to see which site gets the most pre-orders, and then THAT site gets the best cover art.

CONSPIRACY THEORY: Jeff Smith knows only one cover is good, and the other one trash, so he is waiting to see which site gets the most pre-orders, and then THAT site gets the best cover art.
I'm sure the better cover will be SRG's. They are probably just trying not to cannibalize LRG's sales by showing the covers. As is, there's not much reason to get the LRG verison for those that are aware of both companies. Save the taxes and shipping costs and shipping delays and go SRG.

What a cunty thing to do.

Also, one company's games will be loose and one won’t . Nuff said

bread's done
Back