Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the total print run for Guns Gore & Cannoli 2 for PS4 3700 units? That's what you get when you add up all 4 listings that have the game.

1500 Standard Edition

300 Capo Dei Capi Collection Edition ( comes with part 1 and 2)

700 Collection Edition (with part 2 only)

Capo Dei Capi Fan Edition (with part 2 only) It will be limited based on how many orders that are made, but 1200 as an absolute maximum.

so it could be 3700 copies of part 2 but most likely less seeing how bad other games have been selling for SLG

I would’ve just bought from Best Buy and not pay IAm8Bit’s high shipping prices. I just got shipping notices on Gorogoa and Sayonara (PS4). Still waiting on Wattam...

Gang Beasts (PS4) is on-sale at GameStop for $20 this week too.

Not sure if this game really belongs in this thread, but I guess it is an obscure physical release.

https://shop.cookingmamacookstar.com/products/cooking-mama-cookstar-nintendo-switch-2020?

Cooking Mama: Cookstar for the Nintendo Switch. It was pulled from retail due to a rights situation and now the publisher is selling it direct. There were a lot of strange rumors circulating about the game earlier this week. Among them was that the game was mining Bitcoin and that it overheated your Switch, but both were proven false.

Not sure if this game really belongs in this thread, but I guess it is an obscure physical release.
https://shop.cookingmamacookstar.com/products/cooking-mama-cookstar-nintendo-switch-2020?
Cooking Mama: Cookstar for the Nintendo Switch. It was pulled from retail due to a rights situation and now the publisher is selling it direct. There were a lot of strange rumors circulating about the game earlier this week. Among them was that the game was mining Bitcoin and that it overheated your Switch, but both were proven false.
I'm hesitant of this... Are we sure it's not digital and or that it's legit?

Yeah these guys are selling above the MSRP and against the wishes of the IP holder. Hopefully they get sued in oblivion.

Don't know about obscure it was sold by lamestop and Amazon. There are 400+ copies on sale on eBay right now. And you can still order it off that link you gave.

Don't know about obscure it was sold by lamestop and Amazon. There are 400+ copies on sale on eBay right now. And you can still order it off that link you gave.
Its pretty much sold out everywhere and I'm sure the 400 plus copies on EBay are not priced MSRP ($39.99) and are attempting to be scalped. I'd say it qualifies as obscure at least right now (unless it gets a later wider release).

I don't know what the big deal about Cooking Mama: Cookstar is. Is it actually a good game or people just want it because it is scarce? It doesn't interest me one bit.

Looking on ebay, even flipping it for $60 like what is happening is not much profit after shipping and fees.

I don't know what the big deal about Cooking Mama: Cookstar is. Is it actually a good game or people just want it because it is scarce? It doesn't interest me one bit.

Looking on ebay, even flipping it for $60 like what is happening is not much profit after shipping and fees.
Flippers aren't known for their mental fortitude.

As far as I can tell the demand is mostly due to scarcity. People that like Cooking Mama like it, but Cooking Mama is a pretty niche series.

Special Reserve version is sold out already.
I'm surprised considering it's older, and got a release from lrg as well. Well good thing I ordered one this morning. Course they had the much better release considering you got some extra stuff for only 10 dollars more. Although that 7 dollars shipping was a bit much.

I'm surprised considering it's older, and got a release from lrg as well. Well good thing I ordered one this morning. Course they had the much better release considering you got some extra stuff for only 10 dollars more. Although that 7 dollars shipping was a bit much.
first i was thinking $30 for the game only plus shipping or $10 bucks more just a box, stickers, and 2 cards plus $7 shipping.
then i read they giving out the digital code for the 2 games from SRG. that changed my mind and jumped on SRG.

first i was thinking $30 for the game only plus shipping or $10 bucks more just a box, stickers, and 2 cards plus $7 shipping.
then i read they giving out the digital code for the 2 games from SRG. that changed my mind and jumped on SRG.
Shit I didn't realize it and checked my email. Well, now I bought a game I won't ever open because i just downloaded them.

I didn't realize Iam8bit was selling Inside (PS4) by itself outside of the ultra expensive CE, but here it is:

Inside (PS4) - $29.99

https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/collectors-editions/products/inside-ps4-physical-game

Also, Bull Moose currently has several Iam8bit titles in stock for shipping, and for cheaper prices than BB or even Iam8bit. Free shipping over $30 and tax free for most too:

Donut County (Switch) - $29.97

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/32293677/nintendo-switch-donut-county

Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) - $29.97

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/32511420/nsw-sayonara-wild-hearts

Sayonara Wild Hearts (PS4) - $29.97

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/32511421/ps4-sayonara-wild-hearts

I'm really disappointed that Amazon pages don't recommend physical items anymore. When I used to browse obscure switch titles I always would find out about more stuff with their recommendations. Now everything is "customers also bought these digital titles" and it sucks.

I understand they want to discourage frivolous purchases during the pandemic but I just wanna add stuff to my wishlist :(

In their latest newsletter, Video Games Plus announced they will be selling a 'standard' version of Kentucky Route Zero, so I expect Best Buy will too.

I imagine this release won't include the foil cover and the O-sleeve, perhaps the map as well.

PM Studios online store is back and they made a new sale featuring new reprints, overall deals and restock on rare out-of-print titles from Limited Run Games.

https://twitter.com/PMStudiosUSA/status/1253401043414781959

Also all orders over $49.99 will get Cytus Alpha Limited Edition Original Soundtrack CD for free with the Coupon "FREEGIFT".

Kinda sick move they did now.

https://www.pm-studios.com/store

Edit: Price list.

Reprints/Pre-Orders: 

Horizon Chase Turbo (Switch) - $29.99
Ministry of Broadcast (Steelbook Edition) (Switch) - $39.99 

Deals:

Deemo (Switch) $39.99 - $19.99
Opus Collection (Switch) $39.99 - 19.99
Horizon Chase Turbo (First Print - PS4) $29.99 - $14.99
Hover (Switch) - $29.99 - $24.99
WILL: A Wonderful World Limited Edition (Plush, 120 page Artbook, etc) : $79.99 $69.99
WILL: A Wonderful World - Artbook: $29.99 - $24.99
Limited Run Games products:
Mercenaries Series Double Pack (PAX Exclusive): $69.99
Mercenaries Wings Limited Edition (PS4 - LRG) : $59.99
Mercenaries Wings Limited Edition (Switch - LRG): $59.99
Musynx First Print (Vita - LRG): $29.99
Deemo: The Last Recital (Vita - LRG): $29.99

PM Studios online store is back and they made a new sale featuring new reprints, overall deals and restock on rare out-of-print titles from Limited Run Games.

https://twitter.com/PMStudiosUSA/status/1253401043414781959

Also all orders over $49.99 will get Cytus Alpha Limited Edition Original Soundtrack CD for free with the Coupon "FREEGIFT".

Kinda sick move they did now.

https://www.pm-studios.com/store

Edit: Price list.

Reprints/Pre-Orders:

Horizon Chase Turbo (Switch) - $29.99
Ministry of Broadcast (Steelbook Edition) (Switch) - $39.99

Deals:

Deemo (Switch) $39.99 - $19.99
Opus Collection (Switch) $39.99 - 19.99
Horizon Chase Turbo (First Print - PS4) $29.99 - $14.99
Hover (Switch) - $29.99 - $24.99
WILL: A Wonderful World Limited Edition (Plush, 120 page Artbook, etc) : $79.99 $69.99
WILL: A Wonderful World - Artbook: $29.99 - $24.99
Limited Run Games products:
Mercenaries Series Double Pack (PAX Exclusive): $69.99
Mercenaries Wings Limited Edition (PS4 - LRG) : $59.99
Mercenaries Wings Limited Edition (Switch - LRG): $59.99
Musynx First Print (Vita - LRG): $29.99
Deemo: The Last Recital (Vita - LRG): $29.99

You already gave this its own thread. Do you really need to copy and paste it into like 3 other existing threads also?

Did anyone get an e-mail from Strictly Limited about Coffee talk coming-out? I'm subscribed to their newsletter but I didn't hear anything from them. I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it announced hear.

bread's done
Back