Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they announced the the closure of the 3DS shop and you can no longer order 3DS carts, I believe this is the last ever physical 3DS game that will be released. Production is already on the way and should be completed soon. I've ordered from VGNYsoft and had great experiences.

Andro Dunos 2 [Nintendo 3DS]

attachicon.gif
andro-dunos2.jpg
I prerodered this a long time ago (I want to say around last Easter) but am considering ordering another one to have for trade.

Shadow Warrior 3 release will be more simple and plain than Shadow Warrior 2. Priced at $55 and will come with the following:

The SRG Reserve 
PS4 DISC
Region-free
Includes critical updates, patches, and DLC at time of manufacture

SEQUENTIALLY NUMBERED GAME PACKAGING

REVERSIBLE JACKET ARTWORK

SHIPS IN A SPECIAL RESERVE BOX
Makes a great shelf display and protects your game! 

SPECIAL RESERVE ART CARD #3
Exclusive Reserve-only art card
Metallic paper (4" x 6") with foil treatment

INSTRUCTION BOOKLET
Inside the shrink-wrapped game packaging

INCLUDES REDEEM CODE FOR SHADOW WARRIOR

INCLUDES REDEEM CODE FOR SHADOW WARRIOR 2

8815ffeee6c8d682a068e1aff93ddb69.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Even more reason to never buy from SLG. At least with Super Rare, this situation is unlikely since they only sell games they have on hand.

My order items now slipped to Q1/Q2 2022 from Q1 2022. A sure thing to slip to "strictly" (hurr hurr) Q2. Hopefully I'll get the game I ordered in Nov 2020 for my wife's birthday in May 2021 for her birthday in 2022. This company needs to stop selling new things until they get their act together.
It's really sad. I liked the ideas behind these limited print companies but the fact that they'll just delay the games for years on end and could care less about the customers means I stopped ordering from them and just get the import versions instead. Sometimes the boxes aren't in English or they have ugly PEGI logos but oh well, at least I'll have the games instead of waiting who knows how long. Plus it's a trust issue. I'm not a very trusting person and you never know if someone goes rogue one day and keeps your money without shipping the orders.

Does anyone know if there is physical Xbox release of Martha is Dead? I'm fearing only PS4 and PS5.
Dunno, I hope so, but if I’m forced to choose between a physical censored version or a downloadable uncensored version, I’m getting the latter without a doubt.

I was on the fence for Martha, but this pushed more over to the 'not buy' side. If it gets a Xbox physical, I'll reconsider. Otherwise, maybe I'll do a Steam Christmas 2023 sale.

Does anyone know if the version of
Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection coming from Strictly Limited Games is exclusive to them?
I know there’s the 4 game version released retail but what about the 6 game version?

Wow, first batch already sold out... I wonder how many there were. 

Also, I always thought LRG had the last 3DS game or something? Atooi Collection I think? 

Wow, first batch already sold out... I wonder how many there were.

Also, I always thought LRG had the last 3DS game or something? Atooi Collection I think?
The last NA 3DS still looks to be Andro Dunos 2 from VGNYsoft.

Fragrant Story looks to be shipping before this one.

Love that their shipping is a very reasonable $4.00, even for the collector's edition.  Unlike certain other companies....

I received my copy of Rolling Gunner+Overpower Switch from Strictly Limited Games.

I forgot I even ordered this one from them.

I'm very glad the the ININ games are being sold by Amazon now so if I want one I don't have to import them from Strictly Limited. I may pick up the Wonderboy Collection on amazon.

I received my copy of Rolling Gunner+Overpower Switch from Strictly Limited Games.

I forgot I even order this one from them.

I'm very glad the the ININ games are being sold by Amazon now so if I want one I don't have to import them from Strictly Limited.

I may pick up the Wonderboy Collection on amazon.
I assume you did not get an email saying they are shipping your Rolling Gunner game and the game just happened to arrive??? I ordered my ages ago and just checked right now and its still "Unfulfilled" status. I also have not gotten an email of any sorts to indicate when i will get my copy

I assume you did not get an email saying they are shipping your Rolling Gunner game and the game just happened to arrive??? I ordered my ages ago and just checked right now and its still "Unfulfilled" status. I also have not gotten an email of any sorts to indicate when i will get my copy
I did receive a shipping confirmation on 3/15. I did order the standard edition though not the collectors.

Are those any good?
Ky route zero sounds interesting but I just can't do swaths of text and reading anymore. If it had voice acting, sure, but it doesn't. I know it's a nitpick but I appreciate voice acting as it helps immerse you in the experience.

Is this rare now? GameStop had it for $15 almost all winter. Of course I have the SRG whatever deluxe edition or whatever in a drawer somewhere unopened.
Shouldn't the first question be whether the game is good/worth playing? I saw some gameplay video and it doesn't interest me at all. The mechanic of one hit death doesn't appeal to me.

To the extent I ask the second question (is it rare?), it only matters if I want to play the game. In this stupid "collector"/scalper market we have to deal with now in videogames, the rare question only matters in that if I want a game physically, I have to weigh buying it at some point because I won't be able to get it otherwise, or risk having to get it at scalper prices (which btw I will never do).

I really hate what Wata and the whole "investing" community has done to buying games. Publishers of course prey on that FOMO now, which I also hate (but of course, why wouldn't they?).

Shouldn't the first question be whether the game is good/worth playing? I saw some gameplay video and it doesn't interest me at all. The mechanic of one hit death doesn't appeal to me.

To the extent I ask the second question (is it rare?), it only matters if I want to play the game. In this stupid "collector"/scalper market we have to deal with now in videogames, the rare question only matters in that if I want a game physically, I have to weigh buying it at some point because I won't be able to get it otherwise, or risk having to get it at scalper prices (which btw I will never do).

I really hate what Wata and the whole "investing" community has done to buying games. Publishers of course prey on that FOMO now, which I also hate (but of course, why wouldn't they?).
1) This game has been out for years. I've already played it, on more than one system.

2) Im curious if it's rare because, I passed on $15 and may not want to pass again.

3) I couldn't care less how you spend your money and not sure why you'd swoop in and try to steer how I'm planning to or not to spend my money

Yeah, Hotline Miami 1&2 are fun games.   As far as rarity goes... none of us have the numbers for how many copies were made... and looking at GS's site and doing a store search for 100miles... it seems every store within range of me has at least one copy left.  So this likely isn't the end of physical copies being available from GS.   Personally, I bought it when it was $15 as I had the games on PSN but I think they might have been through PS+ and I gave that up a year or two ago.  So this was better than buying them digital.

Games only matter if they are rare. Please stop ruining the topic with these horrible takes. Imagine NOT investing in videogames lol.

Games only matter if they are rare. Please stop ruining the topic with these horrible takes. Imagine NOT investing in videogames lol.
Or you know, sometimes when you wait too long for a low price you miss out completely, don't want digital, and there isn't an infinite supply of anything except opinions.

Speaking of horrible takes, none of these games are actually rare. You mean valuable/expensive. People conflate the term way too much. The actually rare games never come up in conversation here because... They're actually rare.

Or you know, sometimes when you wait too long for a low price you miss out completely, don't want digital, and there isn't an infinite supply of anything except opinions.
You might miss out on a low price, but I have yet to find a physical game I missed unavailable on ebay after the fact. Like I wasn't interested in Snack World when it came out because I just had no clue about it... but later realized I wanted it, it was gone from stores, and to ebay I went. I don't remember what I paid, but it was under retail so no big deal. Life goes on. This is why if I want a game but I don't want to pay a premium I just buy it when it hits the price I think is acceptable. $20 to $25 is usually acceptable. $15 for Hotline Miami Collection was a no brainer. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) in my case now I own most everything I want and I'm not adding much of anything to my want list. Up next is Xenoblade Chronicles 3 which I stacked BB certs and am getting cheap... and then a drought until Zelda BotW2... or one of the Dragon Quest games drop.

You might miss out on a low price, but I have yet to find a physical game I missed unavailable on ebay after the fact. Like I wasn't interested in Snack World when it came out because I just had no clue about it... but later realized I wanted it, it was gone from stores, and to ebay I went. I don't remember what I paid, but it was under retail so no big deal. Life goes on. This is why if I want a game but I don't want to pay a premium I just buy it when it hits the price I think is acceptable. $20 to $25 is usually acceptable. $15 for Hotline Miami Collection was a no brainer. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) in my case now I own most everything I want and I'm not adding much of anything to my want list. Up next is Xenoblade Chronicles 3 which I stacked BB certs and am getting cheap... and then a drought until Zelda BotW2... or one of the Dragon Quest games drop.
Hmm, if I'm waiting to buy for a low price, what makes you think I'd then pay more than retail on eBay? So yea I'd miss out, not that it's that big of a deal plenty of other games, I'd just move on.

And double or actually triple dipping for another $15, probably why I passed.

Hmm, if I'm waiting to buy for a low price, what makes you think I'd then pay more than retail on eBay? So yea I'd miss out, not that it's that big of a deal plenty of other games, I'd just move on.

And double or actually triple dipping for another $15, probably why I passed.
Why then would you care at all if it's rare since you have zero interest in buying it again even for $15? Seems like a pretty shallow reason to consider spending $20+ on a game if it's rare but not because you actually want to own a physical copy.

Why then would you care at all if it's rare since you have zero interest in buying it again even for $15? Seems like a pretty shallow reason to consider spending $20+ on a game if it's rare but not because you actually want to own a physical copy.
I think you are using a different definition of rare than I am. And who said I was going to spend $20+? Rare is hard to find. If it is not hard to find the price will go lower. Like I said earlier, I've bought and played these games several times but for a certain price I'd splurge again. Rare has nothing to do with "value" just availability, if BB is sitting on a mountain of these I can continue to wait and perhaps snag it for cheap or if not, move on and save the money.

Just remember this when you buy something on eBay.

Sealed Pokemon games? A buddy of mine has a storage unit with hundreds not 1,10,100 but hundreds.

Klonoa 2 on GBA sealed I bought off him for $50 opened it and played it then sold for $500. Which you can see on price chart.

I can't really name a rare game besides something like poop slinger. People think Chrono trigger but I've seen hundreds, earthbound? Same buddy has 30 that he bought at $6.99
Castlevania OoE? Bought 17 copies at $4.99 at Kmart when they were tossing games in like 2009ish.

My point is after joking there's almost no such thing as a rare game just artificial copies that we can flood a market at anytime.

bread's done
Back