Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if some of it is just how the contracts are written. Maybe LRG specifies new versions cannot be published until the LRG release is sent to customers? At which point, over a year will have passed and the original hype for the game will be gone.

Or it could just be indicative of SRG only going after "better" games which increases the odds of them getting additional releases
I don't think SRG has had anything hit retail before their version ships.

SRG's big relationship is with Devolver Digital and I think most (or all) of these wide releases are from them. My guess is that SRG's success at pre-orders informs Devlovler Digital's decision as to whether or not pursue a wide release.

LRG has had at least one instance that I recall where they were in the same boat ("Streets of Rage 4"). I recall them being blindsided by it. Their line has been that they can't stop the publishers from doing their own versions. I'm not sure if they changed anything in their agreements to stop a "Streets of Rage 4" situation from happening again. And didn't LRG allow cancellations once the wide release was announced? SRG sure isn't going that route. Instead, SRG is giving customers the good news that their SRG version is now more valuable because of the wide release.

Even with "Streets of Rage 4", though, there were some differences between the LRG version and the wide release as far as the packaging is concerned and I wouldn't have considered the wide release an "upgrade" personally (maybe a "sidegrade"). I haven't compared the packaging/manuals for what has been released wide so far between retail/SRG, but I would be shocked if anyone would prefer to pay more for the SRG versions of "Death's Door" or "Trek to Yomi". I guess we're mainly paying for getting it earlier.

I wonder if some of it is just how the contracts are written. Maybe LRG specifies new versions cannot be published until the LRG release is sent to customers? At which point, over a year will have passed and the original hype for the game will be gone.

Or it could just be indicative of SRG only going after "better" games which increases the odds of them getting additional releases
These are all Devolver published games

I got into a bit of an unintentional squabble with "SRG Erik" today. I figured BrandonJF might get a kick out of this. I got tired of his patronizing replies so I eventually just decided to block him, lol.

[attachment=37154:1.jpeg][attachment=37155:2.jpeg][attachment=37156:3.jpeg]

Yep, that's SRG Erik, all right.  

I don't think he used the word "fribble" correctly, either, but I wouldn't tell him that.

I think it's odd to have a company put someone in charge of customer service whose goal seems to be to drive customers away, but that's one way to go, I guess.  If they had less customers, maybe they would've been able to ship all those copies in July.  They'll get there, I'm sure.

I don't think he used the word "fribble" correctly, either, but I wouldn't tell him that.

I think it's odd to have a company put someone in charge of customer service whose goal seems to be to drive customers away, but that's one way to go, I guess. If they had less customers, maybe they would've been able to ship all those copies in July. They'll get there, I'm sure.
Haha, yeah he definitely should not be in a CS/PR position in any capacity the way he talks to paying customers. It's...whatever. This will be the last thing I ever order from them. Nothing against Doinksoft/Devolver. It's a shame these great game devs have such a sh***y partner for distro. I will continue to support the devs but I will never give money to SRG again, lol.

I think it's odd to have a company put someone in charge of customer service whose goal seems to be to drive customers away, but that's one way to go, I guess. If they had less customers, maybe they would've been able to ship all those copies in July. They'll get there, I'm sure.
What if SRG Erik isn't in charge of customer service, but in charge of the company?

Unless the actual owner is already known, of course....

Wow, SRG Erik is a dick,  Hard to believe a company would allow him to be their public face to the paying customers they need to buy their products.  He also speaks like someone who has never been in customer service before so perhaps he was thrown into the job and just doesn't know how to act.  Either way, he should have been replaced by now.

Wow, SRG Erik is a dick, Hard to believe a company would allow him to be their public face to the paying customers they need to buy their products. He also speaks like someone who has never been in customer service before so perhaps he was thrown into the job and just doesn't know how to act. Either way, he should have been replaced by now.
It is strange, but that odd e-mail they sent out a while back with their "defense" of Devolver Digital wide releases sounds just like SRG Erik (meaning it was devoid of logic), so I suspect they've handed over all social media/customer interactions to this guy. It would be amazing if the person running SRG wasn't aware of that embarassing (IMO) e-mail. But, if SRG Erik is the only customer service rep, I guess it's tough for the owner to be aware of what a poor job Erik is doing. I've seen a couple of other small-ish businesses where there are people interacting with customers online who have zero tact. It's odd.

I do wonder if anyone has had a positive support experience with SRG since this Erik came on board. Like I think I mentioned, I interacted with someone else a year or two ago and it could not have been a smoother experience. That experience did make me feel pretty good about supporting SRG (and I have). Fast forward to today and I won't ever buy anything from them again. Well, unless they actually do replace him and apologize to all customers who had the misfortune of dealing with him.

Did a quick google search and Erik is probably Erik Winblad, on his LinkedIn, his title is deputy/asst IT director, so nothing to do with CS or PR at all

Dude is just saying whatever tf he wants bc he's close with one of the owners; judging by the fact he co/hosts SRG's podcasts

SRG definitely feels like a sinking ship based on their current approach to their business dealings

Did a quick google search and Erik is probably Erik Winblad, on his LinkedIn, his title is deputy/asst IT director, so nothing to do with CS or PR at all

Dude is just saying whatever tf he wants bc he's close with one of the owners; judging by the fact he co/hosts SRG's podcasts

SRG definitely feels like a sinking ship based on their current approach to their business dealings
It would be surprising if the guy I was dealing with is an assistant IT director - he definitely is the person handling customer service, too, at least. Not that I can't totally see someone retweeting on twitter, arguing with people on discord, and replying to e-mails calling themselves an "assistant IT director". He uses a computer or mobile device, so, close enough? I saw a tweet of his where he mentioned being nearly caught up with support tickets for the day.

Lets not doxx people. Cut this witchhunt shit out.

I just want my darn game. I feel like they dropped me to the bottom of the shipping queue in retaliation for "daring" to ask for a status update on my order. My order still shows as "awaiting shipment," whatever that means. They could just not send me the game at this point and I would have no recourse since they charge for the game right away, so they have me in a bind.

Does anyone know if the Osman game from strictly limited games is available via play Asia or ININ games in the US? I want the game, but being that I’ve been waiting a year plus on a few orders I really don’t want to order anything from them if i have a choice.

Does anyone know if the Osman game from strictly limited games is available via play Asia or ININ games in the US? I want the game, but being that I’ve been waiting a year plus on a few orders I really don’t want to order anything from them if i have a choice.
From what they've said in replies to people on Twitter, there will be a Japanese physical version. They claim the way to get an English version is through SLG. I was in the same boat as you. Would rather wait for an ININ release in the US and order it that way in order to cut down on shipping cost and get the game sooner. I went ahead and ordered the game from SLG a few moments ago since I definitely want the game, and am afraid there will not be a physical US release.

Anyone else notice high shipping to U.S. from SLG for Osman?  I was trying to buy a standard ps4 Osman copy & s&h was charging me like I was buying multiple copies, or a heavier game.

Hoping someone here can answer this:

I ordered Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection (PS4) from StrictlyLimitedGames.com ages ago - long before I had a PS5. Of course it still hasn't shipped out, but that's neither here nor there.

A few months later, SLG announced a PS5 version.

Is there any difference between the two? Any reason I shouldn't try to cancel my PS4 order and get the PS5 version instead? (I'm aware the PS4 disc will work with PS5.)

If anyone knows, thanks!

Anyone else notice high shipping to U.S. from SLG for Osman? I was trying to buy a standard ps4 Osman copy & s&h was charging me like I was buying multiple copies, or a heavier game.
I noticed the same thing too for the PS5 version. Put me off from ordering.

It's been a while since I've ordered from SLG, so I was wondering if shipping had really gone up that much. Feels like a mistake though. But who knows...

Really hoping this gets a U.S. retail release.

Anyone else notice high shipping to U.S. from SLG for Osman? I was trying to buy a standard ps4 Osman copy & s&h was charging me like I was buying multiple copies, or a heavier game.
I was thinking about preordering Osman but I saw $13.27 shipping and skipped it. I preordered Ray’z Arcade Chronology a month ago from them and shipping was only $5.85. I think it's a mistake, Osman says it weighs 2.2lbs. Ray'z says it only weighs 0.7lbs.

I finally got my Turrican order from Strictly Limited Games. It was over 2 years !
That’s pathetic. Im never ordering from them again…. I’ll just wait for a ININ release
or an import from Play Asia.

BEWARE though…. I cancelled some items from them, and yeah they refund you the money, but it’s at the mercy of the exchange rate.
So I lost money by basically giving Strictly Limited Games my money to hold onto for years.

Im done waiting over a year waiting for them to release their games.
I don’t trust them…. I feel they are just a house of cards that’s gonna collapse.

I recently received a pending cancellation notice from a company that produces almost-always-delayed collectibles that referenced an FTC regulation that was the basis for this notification that I have never seen before.  

If I don't take action, they are cancelling my order and issuing a full refund.  This site did implement a "workaround" where the customer can agree to delays at the time of placing an order to "protect" their order from cancellation.  

This got me to thinking about these smaller video game publishers who constantly miss their estimated dates and don't allow refunds (I know who many will think of right away, but the company on my mind is Special Reserve Games and "Broforce").  I'm looking through the Terms and Conditions on these sites and nothing is jumping out at me that would make me believe they have an "out" when it comes to these FTC regulations.  Too bad the link to the complaint form is dead.

Selling on the Internet: Prompt Delivery Rules | Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov)

I hope they can also reprint AOT2FB for PS4 and Xbox, and Berserk for PS4.
Seems like there's a lot of KT that could use a reprint. Sucks for me, I paid quite a bit for many of those games last year thinking it'll never happen but VGP's been on a reprint run lately... but them's the breaks I guess.

https://twitter.com/ltdraregames/status/1678283132527857666?s=20
Man I am so sick of this company. Every release they try to be funny. "We are having website problems, Ivan is fixing it." "Oh we had another issue, site is down." Blah Blah Blah. What a joke. These guys just need to go away, telling the same joke again and again is old. If you want to sell a game then sell it. They just keep taking the website down and it gives 404 errors for all of the links.

I'm not sure if anything ever did go up for sale to be honest. I was only able to see the main page and then I saw them posting their stupid joke on twitter.

Man I am so sick of this company. Every release they try to be funny. "We are having website problems, Ivan is fixing it." "Oh we had another issue, site is down." Blah Blah Blah. What a joke. These guys just need to go away, telling the same joke again and again is old. If you want to sell a game then sell it. They just keep taking the website down and it gives 404 errors for all of the links.

I'm not sure if anything ever did go up for sale to be honest. I was only able to see the main page and then I saw them posting their stupid joke on twitter.
They sold some last night. Pretty sure nobody got it this afternoon.

bread's done
Back