Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally placed an order. Site kept running me in circles during checkout. Had to constantly reload until the Paypal button appeared. I'm sure they put the button behind some RNG filter to fuck with us lol

Anyone paying more than MSRP for Poop Slinger or any of these titles is an idiot. People act like there are 30 copies in existence of these games, ignoring that Sony has minimums (Doug can confirm, deny or ignore this comment if he's looking at this thread) so there are cases of these games rotting away, purposefully shuffle out of sight to create hype. 

Plus that these are all targeted at collectors, as opposed to harder to find games from years' past, which were sold at normal avenues. That causes that 2,000 copies to go much farther for collectors than the 100,000 of a game from 30 years ago.

Plus any of these games can be reprinted at any time as long as Sony is still pressing PS4 discs, which I would assume will be long term, as what's the difference between a PS4 disc and a PS5 disc? That's also ignoring any cases of new old stock, which when found, will put the buyer at a massive loss. I am looking forward to the day when cases of Barbie 3DS are found and all these dopes paying hundreds for it are hung out to dry.

Plus what's the point of even owning Poop Slinger? Going for a full PS4 set and it's TWO THOUSAND PLUS games? Probably not. The game is hot garbage so no one is playing it.

Bottom line: if you aren't playing any of these games, there's no point in buying them, especially this Limited Rare nonsense.

Is there any news on a second wave of Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Collection coming? I see the switch non-ESRB version on play-asia but nothing a PS4 version.

Is there any news on a second wave of Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Collection coming? I see the switch non-ESRB version on play-asia but nothing a PS4 version.
Play-Asia canceled the PS4 Asian version saying it wouldn't be released; Square-Enix hasn't said anything about a new wave of ESRB PS4 versions from their store, and I doubt they'll do it.

It's insane to me that they cut the Asian PS4 release and how limited the US release was. Copies are going for hundreds of dollars, you'd think they'd realize they should make some more copies... but nope. 

It's insane to me that they cut the Asian PS4 release and how limited the US release was. Copies are going for hundreds of dollars, you'd think they'd realize they should make some more copies... but nope.
Yes, I'd take either a Switch or PS4 ESRB release at this point. Guess I'll settle for a Switch play-asia order.
I'm honestly surprised over people's reaction to the FF Pixel Remaster situation. I'd be shaking in my boots if I hadn't gotten an import copy. Really weird move by SE; I was definitely wrong about them not offering additional stock.

But imagine if they don't print this collection again soon. Definitely order that Play-Asia Switch copy. The games are great and they finally did them properly this time. It might be your last opportunity. If and when those sell out the game is going to be ~$300 overnight.

If you're not going to play your Final Fantasy games right away then it doesn't matter of course. They will have additional complete collection releases down the road in a few years. I'm sure this was a move done to sell as many digital collections as possible. SE is the one that says "90% of our sales are digital now," while they are the pusherman on that front.

I'm honestly surprised over people's reaction to the FF Pixel Remaster situation. I'd be shaking in my boots if I hadn't gotten an import copy. Really weird move by SE; I was definitely wrong about them not offering additional stock.

But imagine if they don't print this collection again soon. Definitely order that Play-Asia Switch copy. The games are great and they finally did them properly this time. It might be your last opportunity. If and when those sell out the game is going to be ~$300 overnight.

If you're not going to play your Final Fantasy games right away then it doesn't matter of course. They will have additional complete collection releases down the road in a few years. I'm sure this was a move done to sell as many digital collections as possible. SE is the one that says "90% of our sales are digital now," while they are the pusherman on that front.
If you're an FF fan, sure. I had pondered getting the PS4 copy --- or now the Switch copy, but $80 for these 8-bit games? Nah. I don't have any nostalgia for the old FF games so that's already too high. These are also easily emulated for those who want to try them out for curiosity's sake.

If you're an FF fan, sure. I had pondered getting the PS4 copy --- or now the Switch copy, but $80 for these 8-bit games? Nah. I don't have any nostalgia for the old FF games so that's already too high. These are also easily emulated for those who want to try them out for curiosity's sake.
I looked at it as $80 for a physical release of FFVI on PS4, with 5 other FF games for free. Deal of the year right there... except I couldn't get one.

I don't even get why anyone would prefer the ESRB rated copy over the Asia version. I'd rather have no rating logo on the cover than a rating logo on the cover.

I do have a question about IAM8bit. i ordered the psychonauts 2 collectors it just seemed to get moved to the next quarter every time its expected to ship in the current. are they really that bad at making product. i dont want to pick up a separate copy of it but dang i don't feel like I will ever get the game. 

I do have a question about IAM8bit. i ordered the psychonauts 2 collectors it just seemed to get moved to the next quarter every time its expected to ship in the current. are they really that bad at making product. i dont want to pick up a separate copy of it but dang i don't feel like I will ever get the game.
I have only had 3 pre-orders with them (Rez VR, Hyper Light, and No Man's Sky) and that's honestly par for the course with iam8bit... but I will say, when I finally/ultimately did get my order, their product was always top notch in terms of quality.

Iam8bit will be releasing a physical of Sea of Stars so expect a retail release.

https://twitter.com/iam8bit/status/1693656726740869288?s=20
I wonder if the KS physical will be diff than the public release... Got annoyed with how long this game took but the demo seemed pretty solid (if a bit difficult, but I might just suck more at games these days).

Strictly Limited Games has Buy 4 games, only pay for 3 with code SLG443, all games and items in the SLG line-up and the Partner Store, from 08/23/2023-09/10/2023.

I was on the Best Buy site and got a recommendation for.... Broforce.  LOL.  I hadn't heard about the wide release until then, but it shouldn't have surprised me given that other stuff I had ordered from Special Reserve Games ended up with a superior wide release.   2+ years after I ordered (and that order has held up another item over these years) and I finally get a release date... for the wide release.  Plus, a "deluxe" edition that isn't really that "deluxe" since it looks like the best upgrade is it comes in a box with better art.  Otherwise, it's $10 more for a comic book and a soundtrack download.   Still, I'll likely just get that one and if the SRG one ever ships it will go straight to Ebay.

This is really the worst company I've ever seen.  

I saw that Erik's responses (from a few months back, I think) to someone pointing out their misrepresentation of the Shadow Warrior 3 box that was supposed to have "random" splatter art on every copy.  They are just as ridiculous and inane as his responses to me in the past.  He hides behind the "artwork subject to change" disclaimer and doesn't get that they actually listed this specific art as a feature of the product.  As usual, he doesn't even seem the least bit apologetic.  Just sticking to an argument that it doesn't constitute "false advertising" because they said product art can change.... while selling the product art as a feature (in bold red font, no less).  It's almost like we're the suckers for not catching their "out".  And they actually go on to praise the product, like the blood splatter was more than made up for. even though they chose to not communicate it at all and remove it from the site listing.  It really is something.  

At least it really seems like they have reached their end since it does not look like they've announced anything in a while and have cancelled some due to lack of pre-orders.  

https://twitter.com/RealStrictlyLTD/status/1712383969944015068
I appreciate them letting me know my copy of Rayz Arcade Collection is delayed now until 2024. It is annoying but I've been wondering what is taking so long with that release since it was supposed to be finished in Summer. I ordered it with Drainus so I hope I don't have to wait until the end of winter to receive both.

I also have a order with Steel Empire Chronicles and Tiny Thor but I don't expect that one anytime soon.

just got my order from SLG and part of my order is missing I ordered Cannon Dancer - Osman (PS4) and Cotton 16-Bit LE Bundle (PS4) and I didn't get the 2 Cotton ps4 games sent them email see what they say  :cry:

Anyone think it's kinda odd that there's been no emails about this since the email last week? 

Nevermind, I just got an email... 18 minutes after it went live.:whistle2:

Anyone think it's kinda odd that there's been no emails about this since the email last week?

Nevermind, I just got an email... 18 minutes after it went live.:whistle2:/
Yeah it is odd. Both editions are still available as of this posting. I now own this game physically on Vita, WiiU and 3DS lol

My hype for the series has gone down a lot over the past four years since this game first came out.

Yeah it is odd. Both editions are still available as of this posting. I now own this game physically on Vita, WiiU and 3DS lol
I'm sure there will be a PS5 release soon. This guy really knows how to target physical games collectors. I have way too many versions of this and Retro City Rampage lol

I'm sure there will be a PS5 release soon. This guy really knows how to target physical games collectors. I have way too many versions of this and Retro City Rampage lol
I think that's expected, RCR/Shakedown both got physical releases on so many platforms but still, really odd that this hasn't sold out given the 3DS has a pretty hot collectors market (granted a majority of it is Nintendo published games).

IDK I just think some of us are getting burned out by these small print runs of games. There are too many. I bought this physically on the vita and I was considering the 3DS one but I honestly don't need it. It is neat that he is releasing his game on everything but one copy for one platform is fine by me.

IDK I just think some of us are getting burned out by these small print runs of games. There are too many. I bought this physically on the vita and I was considering the 3DS one but I honestly don't need it. Its neat that he is releasing his game on everything but one copy for one platform is fine by me.
Yeah, that's fair. And you're right about people getting burned by small print runs. I do like having 3DS versions of games if they use the 3D effect. I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes the 3D effect of the 3DS.

I will just say if you are even considering picking it up, I would suggest doing it now.  The Wii U version was up on their site for a while as well and now it sells for $100+ once it went out of stock.  If you don't think you will ever want to play it, then makes sense to skip out.

bread's done
Back