Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else get an email from Special Reserve games a few days ago saying they are getting out of limited website sales and focusing on retail sales going forward?  Looks like they even shut off all ordering on their website as of last Sunday.  I still got an open order for Broforce from them from what seems like years ago.

Also got this email from vgnysoft:

Hello everyone,

Like you, we here at VGNYsoft have patiently awaited a solid roadmap or an official release schedule for the production of Golden Force on the PlayStation 4. The limited edition FuturPak's have been stored in the production warehouse since 2021, eagerly awaiting the game's arrival. Regrettably, with no official updates in place, the production warehouse has requested the removal of these items, and we must comply. It is with a heavy heart that we officially announce the cancellation of our physical production of Golden Force for the PlayStation 4.

For those customers who have already placed an order, we want to provide you with several options:

1. A full refund to your original method of payment.
  2. Store credit of canceled game + $5 towards any other title on VGNYsoft.com

At the same time we decided that we will not be releasing the North American production of Guns N Run for the Nintendo Switch, as Pixel Heart has already shipped their production in Europe and wants to use their Nintendo account to produce the game, something we cannot longer accept. Same as for Golden Force we offer:

1. A full refund in store credit or the original payment method.
  2. Store credit of canceled game + $5 credit towards any other title on VGNYsoft.com

We understand that these announcements will cause inconvenience, but unfortunately we had to make this decisions. Dealing with setbacks is one of the most challenging aspects of running a business, and we prefer to provide clear and definite answers rather than avoiding the issue.

We appreciate your continued support, and we are committed to our ongoing mission of preserving physical games. Stay updated by following our social media channels for information on our upcoming products.

Thank you,
Giulio Graziani

Anyone else get an email from Special Reserve games a few days ago saying they are getting out of limited website sales and focusing on retail sales going forward? Looks like they even shut off all ordering on their website as of last Sunday. I still got an open order for Broforce from them from what seems like years ago.
Hopefully that copy of Broforce is shipping soon. The email I read recently was about shipping Cult of the Lamb out first and then they would be getting out copies of Broforce. That is honestly my biggest regret limited release purchase I have ever made and I just really want to play Disc Room which was held up by this for over two years. I've played Broforce a bunch already on Steam Deck and Xbox Game Pass I don't even want that switch copy anymore. It is such a waste.

Hopefully they get this right and it doesn't cause mistakes. I don't have an issue waiting for my games. It is understood that when I ordered them they will be fulfilled once all items are available.

I had placed some big orders with SLG last year when they had sales. Just the other day I got a shipping notice. They had taken three orders, shipped what was available and combined it into one package. It was a surprise to see as I didn't think I would see any of this stuff until mid 2024. 

Hopefully that copy of Broforce is shipping soon. The email I read recently was about shipping Cult of the Lamb out first and then they would be getting out copies of Broforce. That is honestly my biggest regret limited release purchase I have ever made and I just really want to play Disc Room which was held up by this for over two years. I've played Broforce a bunch already on Steam Deck and Xbox Game Pass I don't even want that switch copy anymore. It is such a waste.
Same. It's insane that that couldn't have ever been cancelled. SRG turned out to be one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. When that Broforce finally arrives it will just be going straight to Ebay where I'm sure I'll take a hit. I am sure I'll get the wide release before that SRG one ever shows up.

I feel like (am) an idiot for calling Special Reserve the best limited company in the past. They saw me say that and corrected me in the worst way possible. I am still waiting for my shipment with Cult of the Lamb/Inscryption/Demon Throttle. Seeing Cult of the Lamb and Death's Door at retail was a kick in the dick.

I've heard SLG has some financial issues, so this sale may be a way for them to get some extra capital. In any case they weren't kidding when they said everything would ship immediately. I placed an order at 6:00 when the sale went live and had a shipping notice 9 hours later.

I ended up getting the two of the Inin games bundles from GameStop. Used up all my points and got them shipped for less than $15 each, which is great for Switch games.

Got the Cotton double pack and the Darius double pack.

Nicalis is doing a sale right now. A few $14.99 games and 20% off everything else in their store. Also free shipping, which really makes the deal imo because their shipping prices are usually outrageous.

Nicalis is doing a sale right now. A few $14.99 games and 20% off everything else in their store. Also free shipping, which really makes the deal imo because their shipping prices are usually outrageous.
Maybe I'm missing something, but when I go to checkout, I see $9.84 FedEx SmartPost as the only shipping method.

I ordered ikaruga yesterday and they did have free Fedex shipping. It's also stated on their sale banner. Maybe check back before the sale ends and hopefully it gets fixed?

I ordered ikaruga yesterday and they did have free Fedex shipping. It's also stated on their sale banner. Maybe check back before the sale ends and hopefully it gets fixed?
Good call--I had been checking throughout the day and saw the shipping became free just now. Thanks for the advice.

Did Nicalis end the sale a day early? Tried to pick up Ikaruga PS4 today and it doesn't give me 20% off in cart (though shipping is free). I tried several other full price games and none gave the 20% off that is advertised.

We waited over two years for Broforce and they emailed stating they already made a mistake on the release and the single standard editions will not be numbered. Two years we waited and you still messed this one up. I really am glad to be done with Special Reserve and all there BS. Ship my damn copy already so I can finally have disc room.

Did Nicalis end the sale a day early? Tried to pick up Ikaruga PS4 today and it doesn't give me 20% off in cart (though shipping is free). I tried several other full price games and none gave the 20% off that is advertised.
I was only seeing free shipping yesterday. They had a banner for 20% off "everything else" but it wasn't working on Ikaruga.

I was only seeing free shipping yesterday. They had a banner for 20% off "everything else" but it wasn't working on Ikaruga.

I ended up checking again on the last day in the final hours, and finally stuff was showing 20% off and free shipping. Not sure why the Nicalis website was so glitchy with this sale.

Anyone know any fangamer coupon codes? I have a few things in my cart but that $14 shipping hurts.
Fangamer doesn't really do coupon codes. I think they only have the feature to input codes for CS issues (like if you had a damaged item and they gave you a unique code for a future order). They do maybe one or two sales with free shipping a year. They did one recently (November black Friday) so I wouldn't expect to see it return for a while.

Anyone know any fangamer coupon codes? I have a few things in my cart but that $14 shipping hurts.
There are no general code codes. They sometimes go out for very specific things. The one time I got one was for $5 off the new Stardew Valley guide since I had purchased the previous version.

I think I’m going to support this release. I’d like them to be able to release more games on Xbox.

Edit: So I bought this one to support releases on Xbox. I haven't bought a game from RedArt directly in a long time.
It is an expensive import after shipping but I'm curious to see what the next release for Xbox might be.

Last edited:
Do we know the MSRP on the retail version yet?

I’ll give them this, at least they were very clear and transparent about exactly how many of each specific title were available. I mean, it helped me save some money because I had almost zero interest in what they had.

bread's done
Back