IndieGameStand Pay-What-You-Want Game Thread

seamoss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
166 (100%)
Current game on sale at the Indie Game Stand:

Steel Storm: Complete Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduihwqilPc

BTA: Steel Storm: Forgotten Prison DLC (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtdbzZwB2U

Available for Windows & Linux.

Minimum is $0.25, while $1.00 or more will get you a Desura key, plus a Steam key if it gets greenlit.

Beat the current average for bonus content.

10% of the proceeds will be donated to charity.

Find out if this game has been previously bundled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely passing of Zigfrak. Watched TotalBiscuit's video on it...was getting bored watching it so likely wont play it. Looks like a decent value though.

New deal is Cognition Episode 2: The Wise Monkey, on Greenlight and Desura. BTA to get...Cognition Episode 1. Am I the only one thinking this is opposite the logical order of things:whistle2:k

EDIT: well now I don't know what BTA is, because the sidebar says EP1, but the description says Soundtrack Vol. 1 and Prequel Comic. Also mentions something about a season upgrade for $19.99.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']New deal is Cognition Episode 2: The Wise Monkey, on Greenlight and Desura. BTA to get...Cognition Episode 1. Am I the only one thinking this is opposite the logical order of things:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

There probably isn't much else they can offer for beating the average. It seems about right to me.. I figured episode 2 would be on IGS eventually, since the first episode was featured there as well.

I already own both (Ch 1 on IGS & Indie Royale & Ch 2 on Indie Royale), so I'm gonna pass.

Out of curiosity though, since I own Ch 1 on IGS, what would happen if I bought Ch2 and BTA? I seem to recall somebody saying that if you already own a game on IGS, you can't end up with a second copy. Is that correct? Would that just be wasted money?

[quote name='The End']I already own both (Ch 1 on IGS & Indie Royale & Ch 2 on Indie Royale), so I'm gonna pass.

Out of curiosity though, since I own Ch 1 on IGS, what would happen if I bought Ch2 and BTA? I seem to recall somebody saying that if you already own a game on IGS, you can't end up with a second copy. Is that correct? Would that just be wasted money?[/QUOTE]

Yep.. you'd be wasting money.

Was Cognition Episode 2: The Wise Monkey anywhere else besides the thoughtful bundle? I think I might own it but I don't remember through where.

[quote name='volt1up']Was Cognition Episode 2: The Wise Monkey anywhere else besides the thoughtful bundle? I think I might own it but I don't remember through where.[/QUOTE]

It was in one of the indie gala weekly deals.

[quote name='spoderman']Yep.. you'd be wasting money.[/QUOTE]

Well that doesn't seem very smart. It's pretty much a disincentive to BTA if you already own the bonus content. And since there has been a recent trend of repeating past deals as bonus content, I've gotta imagine that this is something that they're starting to hear complaints about.

Granted, most people probably wouldn't want more than one copy of the bonus content. But what if you do want a second Desura/Steam/Gog key?

Belated OP update for new deal: Cognition Episode 2: The Wise Monkey

I was going to wait for the full collection but at $1 per episode, I guess I'll get it...

[quote name='DonaldBlank']I know I'm late: But man I messed up not buying Bleed. Thought it wouldnt get greenlit cause "it actually looked good". but it did get greenlit[/QUOTE]

Should've bought the Retro Groupees bundle ;)

[quote name='spoderman']Should've bought the Retro Groupees bundle ;)[/QUOTE]

Didnt buy that cause i only wanted Dead Pixel (and bleed which as i said, thought it wouldnt get greenlit) and figured DP would go even cheaper on steam or GMG or something.

seriously, i messed up bad. glad it got greenlit though, you can tell me faith in the voters are low if i think a game wont get greenlit for being good

[quote name='volt1up']^ I kind of just assume everything will get greenlit eventually, do good games not make it? I haven't really followed.[/QUOTE]

Bleed was just in limbo for a really long time, despite almost unanimous praise. Some (myself included) just seemed to assume it wasn't getting on Steam for whatever reason. So happy it did though, since it's an awesome game:applause: Most of the picks seem to be pretty good, but sometimes games get picked without much of any justification as to why other more popular games are getting passed over. Who knows, maybe Gaben just feels like trolling us some days:cool:

Played a bit of Dawnstar.  Not bad but it has a few on-rails missions which are pretty but bland.  

Not digging all the space themed games lately. Show us something new IGS ;)
Better deals will be coming next week, that's when the first batch from this will go live: https://indiegamestand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=753
are any of these on Steam though? Doesn't look like it from a quick search. I mean, I know they are indie games, but it's kinda pain having everything all over the place ($1 is more than I care to spend for desura keys) :oldman:

Better deals will be coming next week, that's when the first batch from this will go live: https://indiegamestand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=753
are any of these on Steam though? Doesn't look like it from a quick search. I mean, I know they are indie games, but it's kinda pain having everything all over the place ($1 is more than I care to spend for desura keys) :oldman:
None of them are, I highly suggest getting used to Desura though.. it is annoying having to use a lot of clients, but Desura is getting very mainstream with indie games. Steam, Origin, and Desura are my top clients.

None of them are, I highly suggest getting used to Desura though.. it is annoying having to use a lot of clients, but Desura is getting very mainstream with indie games. Steam, Origin, and Desura are my top clients.
I don't mind desura really, I just don't feel like I actually own a game the way I do on steam. Not to mention the lack of categories causes everything to get jumbled together. I'm fine if it's in a bundle, but otherwise it just seems kinda steep in comparison. Maybe I'm just being picking, who knows.

I don't mind desura really, I just don't feel like I actually own a game the way I do on steam. Not to mention the lack of categories causes everything to get jumbled together. I'm fine if it's in a bundle, but otherwise it just seems kinda steep in comparison. Maybe I'm just being picking, who knows.
Normally I would ignore this and I don't want to start yet another DRM war, but you have *got* to be kidding, right? You *do not* feel like you own games on Desura and you *do* feel like you own them on Steam? Is this the same Steam where you are "subscribing" to your games, not owning them, and the same Steam where you games can be removed from your "library" whenever they feel like it? And is this the same Desura that provides DRM-free downloads for almost every game they host that you can download and keep in your possession forever?

Normally I would ignore this and I don't want to start yet another DRM war, but you have *got* to be kidding, right? You *do not* feel like you own games on Desura and you *do* feel like you own them on Steam? Is this the same Steam where you are "subscribing" to your games, not owning them, and the same Steam where you games can be removed from your "library" whenever they feel like it? And is this the same Desura that provides DRM-free downloads for almost every game they host that you can download and keep in your possession forever?
People always talk about steam removing games from your library. When has that ever happened, not counting someone getting a game from another region or with stolen keys?

People always talk about steam removing games from your library. When has that ever happened, not counting someone getting a game from another region or with stolen keys?
Just a few days ago with The Whispered World being gone for at least 2-3 days. And it's not an issue of whether they've actually done it, it's their ability to do so at any time that I'm pointing out in connection to the "I own my games on Steam" statement. As the Steam TOS states, you don't own your games on Steam, you're renting them. However, I *do* own The Whispered World DRM-free download on my hard drive that I have also backed up to DVD and Dropbox. Again, I'm not really looking to start an argument, it's just that I was taken aback by the Squirrel's statement.

Just a few days ago with The Whispered World being gone for at least 2-3 days. And it's not an issue of whether they've actually done it, it's their ability to do so at any time that I'm pointing out in connection to the "I own my games on Steam" statement. As the Steam TOS states, you don't own your games on Steam, you're renting them. However, I *do* own The Whispered World DRM-free download on my hard drive that I have also backed up to DVD and Dropbox. Again, I'm not really looking to start an argument, it's just that I was taken aback by the Squirrel's statement.
So what you're saying is, steam has never taken anyone's game from them, without due cause in the 10 years they've been around. Id like to see it happen, to he honest because I can only imagine the shit show that would occur after that.

I feel like I own a game, because it's like having a library. I can look through it, organize it the way I like, there are big bright pictures showing me the game, and it's all integrated with a ton of awesome features. Desura just feels like a list of games to download. I also really dislike all the "indie" clones that pop up on the front page, which just makes it look really cheap IMO. I've never had a problem with steam, and love the platform, sales, community features, and in game pop up. If you prefer to get your games through desura or DRM free downloads go right ahead. We all have are preferred way to do things.

Here's my 2 cents:

1.  There is no real difference in Desura and Steam.  Both are clients that enable you to download games you purchased through the client.  That Steam is more controlling of those games and that Desura is less restrictive is sort of a silly reason to base one client feeling more like you "own" the games than the other, but to each their own.  I understand moreso if people mention achievements or chat or etc. for preferring Steam, but if anything Desura allows you to "own" your games more than Steam.

2.  As far as Steam never "taking back" a game for no reason, I can't really speak on it one way or another.  There are rumors and nothing more, that people have had their accounts closed, but I think the most common occurence is people get their accounts "frozen" in that they can still access their current games, but can no longer purchase or activate games on the account.  I don't know anyone personally who has had their account closed or had their access to games they purchased legitmately restricted.  That said, I think the main point is that they could if they wanted to, not whether they do or not. 

Here's my 2 cents:

1. There is no real difference in Desura and Steam. Both are clients that enable you to download games you purchased through the client. That Steam is more controlling of those games and that Desura is less restrictive is sort of a silly reason to base one client feeling more like you "own" the games than the other, but to each their own. I understand moreso if people mention achievements or chat or etc. for preferring Steam, but if anything Desura allows you to "own" your games more than Steam.

2. As far as Steam never "taking back" a game for no reason, I can't really speak on it one way or another. There are rumors and nothing more, that people have had their accounts closed, but I think the most common occurence is people get their accounts "frozen" in that they can still access their current games, but can no longer purchase or activate games on the account. I don't know anyone personally who has had their account closed or had their access to games they purchased legitmately restricted. That said, I think the main point is that they could if they wanted to, not whether they do or not.
I just wear a tinfoil hat when I play my steam games. Keeps Gaben outta my head

Updated OP for new deal: Snorms

Looks weird enough and supports Linux & Android so I got it.

Kinda want. Game play videos remind me a bit of Berzerk.

But I'm a little bit gun-shy about buying some of these really obscure games on IGS after buying Pixelry & Super Tower Rush and having them both show up in a Bundle In a Box a few months later.

New deal is Paranautical Activity. Not sure why it's being featured right now, as it wasn't part of the first batch IGS posted.. and it was JUST in a Groupees bundle for $1. Meh.

New deal is Paranautical Activity. Not sure why it's being featured right now, as it wasn't part of the first batch IGS posted.. and it was JUST in a Groupees bundle for $1. Meh.
17924.jpg

They want their greenlight votes, since they need them now. Weren't these devs the guys in groupees chat being dicks too?

They want their greenlight votes, since they need them now. Weren't these devs the guys in groupees chat being dicks too?
Step 1. Ask for community support.
Step 2. Act like stuck up pricks to community.

Step 3. ...

Step 4. Profit?

Step 1. Ask for community support.
Step 2. Act like stuck up pricks to community.
Step 3. ...
Step 4. Profit?
Well they were dicks because they thought they were getting fast tracked onto steam with adult swim publishing them. Then steam said no, and adult swim isn't interested in publishing them anymore. So they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

It also doesn't help that Paranautical Activity is worth like 5 minutes for a chuckle and then a swift delete.

I do like that Adult Swim is going full bore into this gaming thing and getting indie devs with off beat games under their wing. I've been impressed with their output so far.

Just wish they'd upgrade Westerado, which was so close to a Western Way of the Samurai it hurts.

bread's done
Back