Industrial/Glamrock/EBM Music

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've been getting into industrial music lately. fuck off Nine Inch Nails, I'm talking about the real industrial. Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle. I recently discovered Cat Rapes Dog, who are half industrial half synthpop. They're kind of hard to find, but if you can get them they're definitely worth a listen.

What are *the* best industrial bands of all time? Even including NIN and Ministry, etc.

Thanks,
Full_Throttle

PS
At the record store I went to they recommended that I listen to Nadja or something, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Anybody know about them?

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell is wrong with Nine Inch Nails? Really, say whatever you want about how bad it is that he helped commercialize the sound, but he still makes some good beats and he puts on a damn good show.

Other then that KMFDM (and their side projects MDFMK, KGC, Schwein, KGC, Excessive Force, and Lucia...God I love Lucia), Front Line Assembly, Angelspit, Combichrist, Pig, and The Curve are ones that immediatly come to mind for me. Though if anything KMFDM and ultra heavy beats are what usually dominate my CD or MP3 player.

Oh, no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with him. I have all of his Halos. I'm just saying that I'm looking for the real roots of industrial music, where they made their own instruments and machines, or just used jackhammers.

Front Line Assembly and Combichrist, not sure about the others, aren't really industrial. They might have spawned off of it, but they're more EBM or "aggrotek". Like I said, I'm looking for the real roots of the genre.

The band that popularized the genre is widely regarded to be Ministry even though it was established before then. Get "Land of Rape and Honey" by them. That's like the White Album of industrial music. It's closer to the true meaning of the genre (they use vacuum cleaners, power drills, etc. for loops in their songs). Then get "The Mind is a terrible thing to taste" and the semi-untitled album with Just One Fix and New World Order.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']I've been getting into industrial music lately. fuck off Nine Inch Nails, I'm talking about the real industrial. Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle. I recently discovered Cat Rapes Dog, who are half industrial half synthpop. They're kind of hard to find, but if you can get them they're definitely worth a listen.

What are *the* best industrial bands of all time? Even including NIN and Ministry, etc.

Thanks,
Full_Throttle

PS
At the record store I went to they recommended that I listen to Nadja or something, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Anybody know about them?[/quote]

Good boy, you already have angry germans banging on pipes.

Try Coil, they're probably my favorite true-industrial band.

I'd suggest finding a copy of the Wax Trax! Black Box. It's a very good jumping on point as Wax Trax! was THE industrial label. And I'll second "The Land of Rape and Honey," it's one of my all time favorites, industrial or not. I'd also recommend "Big Sexy Land" by the Revolting Cocks & "Opus Die" by Laibach (I'd describe it as Richard Wagner meets KMFDM).

Here are some Gothic/electro/industeral bands
Oomph
psydoll
Baal
Suicide ali
Spectrum X
KMFDM
Colony 5
Ayria
Circus od dead children
Portishead
Cruxshadows
Soho dolls
Angle spit
Motocomp
Ohgr
Animasscre
Lola angst
Dools of pain
The bithday Massacre
Neurotic flesh
Dope stars inc
dead star assemebly
Cut copy
Voltair
Despairs ray
Hyper bubble
Moi dix mois
Inkubus sukkubus
Blood
Capsule
Christan death
Crystle castles
Lady tron
Man and machines
L'ame immortale

also go to www.isotank.com for more gothic/industeral bands

If you're looking for industrial "roots", particularly American industrial music, then you should definitely dig further into Wax Trax Records. It was one of the first labels that really tried to make an industry out of signing/distributing aggressive electronic music.

Coil, KMFDM, Sister Machine Gun, Frontline Assembly, Front 242, Controlled Bleeding, Laibach, and even VNV Nation all put out discs on Wax Trax before they went under in the mid 90's. The Black Box retrospective sited above is amazing and well worth tracking down.

You should also seek out music by Clock DVA, Foetus, Test Dept, Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV, and Consolidated.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']I'm not sure where it lands at because of all the sub-genres, but I love Ohgr.[/quote]

You know that OhGr's touring this winter, right? Check www.litany.net for tourdates. I'll be at the NY and Boston shows!

[quote name='bmachine']
You know that OhGr's touring this winter, right? Check www.litany.net for tourdates. I'll be at the NY and Boston shows![/quote]

fuck. The closest one to me is Denver, CO and that's still aways out.

For anyone else reading along, Dope is also great. I just realized that they did a cover (or maybe total re-make?) of Just One Fix, which I've got to say that I prefer over Ministry's original. I think that they're a transition between industrial and modern hard rock.

Dope is ok...haven't heard past their third cd. Which is when I saw them live. Edsel Dope is a fucking jackass though. They also covered fuck Tha Police as well as well as You Spin me 'Round (Like a Record), on their first CD. But I agree with all the above. Coil is out there. If you want REALLY REALLY abbrasive industrial seek out Whitehouse (bitch to find without importing), Merzbow, etc. One of my personal facorites is In Strict Confidence and :wumpscut:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Spin_Me_'Round_(Like_A_Record)

[quote name='Collectorguy00']fuck. The closest one to me is Denver, CO and that's still aways out.[/quote]
On Thanksgiving Day...

God, why did you have to remind me?

[quote name='Full_Throttle']What about Orgy? All I've heard by them is the cover of Blue Monday.[/quote]

Only their first CD is industrial like

[quote name='Full_Throttle']What about Orgy? All I've heard by them is the cover of Blue Monday.[/quote]

Ok, you need to clarify if you want EBM (Orgy and similar), or industrial (angry german people banging on pipes and yelling).

Orgy is goth themed hard glamrock. ;) I've got their first two albums, they're pretty decent but don't really stand the test of time.

Pigface is another band I didn't see mentioned yet, might have missed it up above though. It was like a compilation group of various members of the predominant industrial bands at the time. Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy. Their biggest song was probably Suck, which Trent Reznor later re-recorded on Broken. The band had so many people involved at one time or another it's mind boggling.

Try searching out yelworC. I actually was lucky to find pristine used copies at a record store of their last two CDs. All I'd had before was mp3s. Its worth it to search them out. Very very tribal feel to them. Check here for some clips: http://www.metropolis-records.com/artists/?artist=yelworc Trinity is great, listen to the Real Audio of Tribune Junction. And word of advice, if you want to listen to clips of songs on Metropolis's website, choose RA over MP3, MP3s are only 30 secs long while RAs are a min.

Hell, I have tons of shit between my laptop and my external drive....feel free to PM me OP

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Orgy is goth themed hard glamrock. ;) I've got their first two albums, they're pretty decent but don't really stand the test of time.[/quote]

Crossbreed falls more into that category, at least they're more creative (reminds me, I need to check to see if they droped from being on haitus and did a second CD). The only Orgy CD worth a shit is their first, Candyass. The second, Vapor Transmission, was a disappointment to me.

16 Volt is some great industrial rock. Some songs harder than others. Not sure how to describe them, 'cause they're not pure industrial, nor are they EBM. They've got the same structures as NIN's Downward Spiral or With Teeth.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Crossbreed falls more into that category, at least they're more creative (reminds me, I need to check to see if they droped from being on haitus and did a second CD). The only Orgy CD worth a shit is their first, Candyass. The second, Vapor Transmission, was a disappointment to me.[/quote]

True, Candyass was a nice debut. I did like only about 1 or 2 songs max of VT. Is the band even around anymore?

bread's done
Back